• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#9521 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 October 2019 - 04:11 PM

You doubt the evidence?

The so-called Whistleblower’s account of my perfect phone call is “way off,” not even close. Schiff and Pelosi never thought I would release the transcript of the call. Got them by surprise, they got caught. This is a fraud against the American people

This tweet is incredible. I knew what gaslighting was but never really seen it before. The transcript confirms everything the whist lower said. He just claims the opposite with utter conviction and calls it a day

This post has been edited by Cause: 05 October 2019 - 04:15 PM

#9522 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:53 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9523 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 October 2019 - 02:22 AM

The Turtle vows to stop impeachment. Of course in a fundraising video. :rolleyes:

https://www.news.com...411e95f03a39411

Interesting take on how this is testing US political structures.

https://www.news.com...d18b52f4bf99d72
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#9524 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:55 PM

So. There's been some sort of subpoena for his tax returns. Maybe there will be empirical evidence that he is a liar and a con artist.

Won't change a thing, of course...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#9525 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:59 PM

I'm assuming they appeal, stall, appeal, stall and then suddenly it's 2021.

#9526 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:15 PM

View PostAptorian, on 07 October 2019 - 04:59 PM, said:

I'm assuming they appeal, stall, appeal, stall and then suddenly it's 2021.

It's in federal court, so appeal would eventually go to the Supreme Court... if they were all like Kavanaugh, Trump would probably get away with it. Roberts or Gorsuch might quash it though (assuming Trump doesn't get another Supreme Court pick in the meantime)....

Trump tweeted this today: 'As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!). They must, with Europe and others, watch over...'

#9527 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:24 PM

There's already empirical evidence he's a liar and con artist, and has been over and over again for decades. I mean just for example, during his presidency the Trump U case was finalized. He's literally gotta pay back (some of) the millions of dollars he took from thousands of people trying to better their lives through higher education, because he was scamming them. That's the lawsuit that happened throughout the campaign, the one Trump said the judge couldn't do his job right because he was Mexican. It made national headlines consistently during 2016, and Republican voters were absolutely more turned on by his insult of Mexicans than they were turned off by his brazen exploitation of working people. They chose him over 16 rivals. Also, his literal co-conspirator in election crimes they committed together, Michael Cohen, is serving a multi-year sentence in prison as we speak.

None of that is to downplay what might turn up in his tax returns. But like -- Trump entered public life holding the smoking gun, after having spent years with his father racially discriminating against black people in their housing units. We don't have to wait for one.

#9528 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:08 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 07 October 2019 - 06:15 PM, said:

Trump tweeted this today: 'As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!). They must, with Europe and others, watch over...'

This was incredible. He reminds me of a basketball star being interviewed. The ones that speak about themselves in third person (he does this too sometimes) and praise themselves as the best thing to happen to the game.

Also when has he done it before? Lastly, he doesnt care about the ISIS prisoners. So what would be off limits? Didnt Trump say he thinks the US should do more waterboarding?

#9529 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:26 PM

Yah, he also said we should kill the families of suspected terrorists.

Coincidentally, civilian deaths in America's wars (and police actions or whatever euphemism we got for them) -- which were already shameful under GWB and Obama -- have "skyrocketed" under Trump: in Iraq, in Afghanistan, in Syria, and in Somalia. Wherever we're raining death, it's become a flood: https://theintercept...casualties-war/

#9530 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:44 PM

Apparently the pentagon has said the Trump tweet was misunderstood and there is no change on the ground. Seriously how many times can this disfunction exist before someone gets worried.

Also Trump says the FCC won its net nuetrality case when in fact it lost.

#9531 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:11 PM

View PostCause, on 07 October 2019 - 07:08 PM, said:

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 07 October 2019 - 06:15 PM, said:

This was incredible. He reminds me of a basketball star being interviewed. The ones that speak about themselves in third person (he does this too sometimes) and praise themselves as the best thing to happen to the game.

Also when has he done it before? Lastly, he doesnt care about the ISIS prisoners. So what would be off limits? Didnt Trump say he thinks the US should do more waterboarding?

The off-limits bit is related to the Kurds, long standing American allies in northern Syria and northern Iraq both. They're an ethnic group that claims part of Turkey, Syria and Iraq as their own and is seeking independence/autonomy from all three. In both Syria and Iraq, this (combined with the fact that they're fierce fighters) made them logical allies for the US, but that alliance put the US at odds with the Turkish government, who are not keen on the Kurds - and that's a bit of an understatement.

The Turks couldn't care less for Syria/ ISIS as a whole, they just don't want the Kurds to establish themselves with any degree of autonomy in Syria, fearing it would be used as a platform to pursue Kurdish independence in Turkey from. Hence the Turkish offer to take over the 30 kilometer deep safe zone between Turkey and Syria, where they would "continue the fight against terrorists." Spoiler: the Turkish government refers to the militant Turkish-Kurd freedom movement PKK as terrorists. Trump probably figured he'd bring troops home, make Erdogan happy by handing over the safe zone to a NATO partner, and get rid of the prisoners in one go - as for the Kurds, Trump probably thought they were a type of cookie.

Re: boycot: iirc, there has been a boycot of Turkey under Trump before, I think related to the previous visit of Erdogan to the US, when Turkish bodyguards of Erdogan molested activists demonstrating against him outside the embassy grounds, but it might also be related to the repeated attempts to extract Gülen from the US towards Turkey, including an attempted kidnapping, following the putsch against Erdogan. Essentially, the US has boycotted Turkey (partially) before, and it had effect. But Turkey has a pretty unstable economy and Erdogan could just threaten to release the ISIS captives, or threaten to look to Russia, instead.

This post has been edited by Tapper: 08 October 2019 - 01:12 PM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#9532 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:30 PM

And apparently only a month or two ago the U.S. convinced the Kurds to dismantle some of their defenses in the "safe zone"... now the U.S. withdraws and Turkey immediately starts attacking "terrorists" (Kurds) in the area?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#9533 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 October 2019 - 02:01 PM

I, in my great and unmatched wisdom

In case anyone missed it, he's gone full supervillain.
Up next are a moustache to twirl and robotic henchpeople.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9534 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:16 PM

#9535 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:18 PM

View PostAbyss, on 08 October 2019 - 02:01 PM, said:

I mean, if we're being technical, his wisdom is unmatched...

Not in the way he meant it, perhaps...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#9536 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:17 AM

And isn't Mike Pence a robot?
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#9537 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:28 AM

View Postworry, on 08 October 2019 - 09:16 PM, said:

Time for a digital revolution which starts with the 1% waking up to find 99% of their wealth has been hacked and spread to more worthy causes a la "Sneakers".

@Garak
No, robots have more emotional range.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 09 October 2019 - 10:29 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#9538 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:07 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 08 October 2019 - 10:18 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 08 October 2019 - 02:01 PM, said:

I mean, if we're being technical, his wisdom is unmatched...

Not in the way he meant it, perhaps...

I'm reasonably sure his spawn are working with a similar Wisdom score and probably less Intelligence. Charisma is debatable. Don't get me started on Dexterity.

View PostGarak, on 09 October 2019 - 05:17 AM, said:

And isn't Mike Pence a robot?

See? SEE!!!??!?!

View PostTsundoku, on 09 October 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 08 October 2019 - 09:16 PM, said:

Time for a digital revolution which starts with the 1% waking up to find 99% of their wealth has been hacked and spread to more worthy causes a la "Sneakers".

@Garak
No, robots have more emotional range.

NOT THE NEUTERED HENCHROBOTS MODELS!!!! TO ARMS!!! TO ARMS!!!! (BUT NOT FIREARMS!!!!!!)
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9539 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 09 October 2019 - 03:08 PM

I would actually welcome a Canadian takeover.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#9540 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:12 PM

Wow, Sneakers has an oddly broad and durable cultural impact for a movie that nobody ever really talks about. This thread is now about USA Politics AND the movie Sneakers.

Share this topic:

• 707 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users