• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#9021 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:13 PM

Did America ever really get to the bottom of how they started a war over WMD when their were none? Was it an honest mistake, an outright lie. Somewhere imbetween. I don't think that ever really got the attention it deserved. One minute you were fighting to stop another 9/11 the next you invaded Iraq over faulty intel.

#9022 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 25 June 2019 - 12:17 PM

Cause, on 25 June 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

Did America ever really get to the bottom of how they started a war over WMD when their were none? Was it an honest mistake, an outright lie. Somewhere imbetween. I don't think that ever really got the attention it deserved. One minute you were fighting to stop another 9/11 the next you invaded Iraq over faulty intel.

Iraq has this gooey stuff that is worth a lot of the currency that Eye-rakky man didn't want to adopt.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#9023 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:29 PM

EmperorMagus, on 25 June 2019 - 03:03 AM, said:

Why are you guys making fun of the war tax? It seems well-suited to the purpose it is supposed to accomplish, which is providing healthcare to veterans of American wars.

Posted Image
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#9024 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 June 2019 - 02:47 PM

Attached File  relevant.png (24.9K)
Number of downloads: 1
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#9025 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 25 June 2019 - 04:14 PM

Illuyankas, on 25 June 2019 - 02:29 PM, said:

EmperorMagus, on 25 June 2019 - 03:03 AM, said:

Why are you guys making fun of the war tax? It seems well-suited to the purpose it is supposed to accomplish, which is providing healthcare to veterans of American wars.

Posted Image

I would like to know more

#9026 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:05 PM

If you're asking if the facts ever bore out whether it was a deliberate misinformation campaign to get into a war of choice with Iraq vs. whether it was a horrible but honest failing of intelligence/leadership/decision-making ... it was the former. At this late date, I can't point you to like one article offhand (because of my terrible memory, but maybe someone else w/ a better memory can) that compiles all that evidence.

Now if you're further asking if America did self-reflection after the fact, coming to terms with this bad decision, and did any formal self-corrections since then at any level of decision-making, the answer there is a big fat No. All of the people who lied us into it retired peacefully or continue to work/consult in industries that profit from war. Even the journalists and pundits who did the water-carrying still work. David Frum (who worked for GWB and coined "axis of evil") has a cushy job at The Atlantic, which is ostensibly a progressive outlet. Judith Miller is writing the same things about Iran today that she wrote about Iraq before that war. To say nothing of the actual power brokers in government or quasi-governmental industries. There have been zero negative consequences for anybody involved -- which is, frankly, one of the biggest stains on Pres. Obama's legacy.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9027 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:13 PM

To be fair, we didn't do shit to Kissinger so why would we go after Cheney or whoever?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#9028 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:57 PM

There's still time! He's apparently immortal!

#9029 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:14 AM

Ok you worthless turds, lets turn the discussion to the first 2020 Democratic Candidates Debates. First round is Wednesday night. You guys think Warren gonna mop the floor with the first round line-up? - folks running who no one has heard of or knows and wouldn't be recognized if their life depended on it?
Posted Image

Posted Image

#9030 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:43 AM

Malankazooie, on 26 June 2019 - 03:14 AM, said:

You guys think Warren gonna mop the floor with the first round line-up?

Yes
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#9031 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 June 2019 - 03:56 AM

Slow Ben, on 26 June 2019 - 03:43 AM, said:

Malankazooie, on 26 June 2019 - 03:14 AM, said:

You guys think Warren gonna mop the floor with the first round line-up?

Yes

Agree. I would like to see her in the second night with the better competition. Alas, will have to wait for later debates.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 26 June 2019 - 03:56 AM

#9032 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:17 AM

Call me a dreamer, call me unrealistic, call me a know-nothing, call me whatever. But if during the debates it's revealed that any of these potential so-called candidates for the 2020 race did even a single thing on my no-no list, they don't have my vote:
No-no list:
Spoiler

Mock me if you must, but those are my terms. Aside from that, I imagine Sanders, Warren, and Inslee (jk, but I wish) will have good showings and hope Biden's lectern is set over a trap door.

#9033 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 June 2019 - 04:36 AM

Yup, you guessed it. I've decided to switch things up and become super obnoxious about my opinions this election season.

#9034 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:21 AM

Here's a quick (Democrat) candidate low-down.

https://www.theatlan...t-guide/582598/

Mike Gravel seems pretty cool. I love his ads, the fact he's very anti-Bullshit Wars and his campaign seems to be run by some highschool and Uni students.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 26 June 2019 - 10:58 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#9035 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:35 AM

worry, on 26 June 2019 - 04:17 AM, said:

Call me a dreamer, call me unrealistic, call me a know-nothing, call me whatever. But if during the debates it's revealed that any of these potential so-called candidates for the 2020 race did even a single thing on my no-no list, they don't have my vote:
No-no list:
Spoiler

Mock me if you must, but those are my terms. Aside from that, I imagine Sanders, Warren, and Inslee (jk, but I wish) will have good showings and hope Biden's lectern is set over a trap door.

That's some very lofty expectations. Realistically, who hasn't done 1 or 2 of these once or twice? I mean, accidents happen. Right? Right.

#9036 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:41 PM

Samantha Bee has the right of it. Many of these dem candidates running for president should run for Senate instead. John Hickenlooper would absolutely win the seat from ( R ) Cory Gardner in Colorado.

#9037 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:26 PM

But surely that would benefit the country, not their self-interests? It'll never fly.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#9038 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:30 PM

What is the deal with so many of these near anonymous to the public eye democrats running for. It seems like many stand no chance in hell. Is it for the fifteen minutes?

#9039 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:41 PM

Of course. They know they don't stand a chance, it is just to make a bit of a name for themselves nationally. Same here in the UK with the Tory party leadership contest, you got all sorts of unknowns without a hope in hell crawling out of the woodwork to announce their leadership candidacy. It is painful to watch, shameless career politicking. It's what 'Western democracies' have come to in the age of multimedia.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#9040 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:52 PM

Gorefest, on 26 June 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

Of course. They know they don't stand a chance, it is just to make a bit of a name for themselves nationally. Same here in the UK with the Tory party leadership contest, you got all sorts of unknowns without a hope in hell crawling out of the woodwork to announce their leadership candidacy. It is painful to watch, shameless career politicking. It's what 'Western democracies' have come to in the age of multimedia.

Personality politics and shameless self-advertisement. It's disheartening.

At least if they had some respectable leadership qualities it would be more understandable but so many of them are clearly just career politicians in it for the publicity.

@Cause - it's pretty much just jockeying for position. Yes, the fame is a factor, but a lot of these people hope to make enough of a splash that they get bumped up the party ladder, too. And most of them know this is as close as they will ever get to being able to run, so it literally can't hurt their future. Is it ultimately short-sighted due to the damage it can cause to the actual candidates? Of course. Do they care? No. These people should never have run and let the actual people with a chance run a proper race - and they know it. But they value themselves over literally everything else, so we end up with the Democalypse.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

Share this topic:

• 707 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users