The USA Politics Thread

#7861 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:54 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 04 November 2018 - 05:13 PM, said:

One observation I've made about this 'midterm election': where are all the political signs in people's yards?

In my neighborhood anyway, that was always a thing (political signs), even during midterm elections (and even city/local elections). I would always see signs for individual candidates for various seats in local, state and federal govt., as well as signs for or against various measures to be voted on. Now nothing. Have we truly become Russian hacked Facebook voting slaves? Have politics become so divisive in the U.S. that we are afraid to put signs in our yards for fear of someone who disagrees with us doing something to our property?! WTF is going on in 2018!

On a side note. Guys, don't get your news from Facebook. I suggest quitting Facebook altogether. But if you must use it for event purposes (and associated scheduling), then use it only for that.

FB is a birthday calendar. That's its basic purpose.

The Messenger can be handy sometimes.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#7862 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 November 2018 - 10:21 PM

Dropped off my ballot on the way to work this morning. As was the case two years ago, I've got a bottle of top shelf bourbon waiting to be opened and slowly enjoyed after I get home from work tomorrow while watching the results come in. Should be good times. And fun to see if the country pivots a bit or decides to stay on the current path.

#7863 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:13 AM

Rambling

Votes tomorrow and I still haven’t decided who I’m voting for for governor of Illinois. I’m voting straight Dem for everything else (not that it will matter I’m Southern Illinois), but I don’t think I can bring myself to vote for another corrupt Chicago billionaire who will end up in jail like 4 of the last 7 governors. And for the most part I agree with what Rauner is trying to achieve. But Madigan’s tranglehold is so strong I don’t think he ever will. But I’m afraid if Pritzker, who is Madigans choice(and once cheated on property taxes by removing toilets in a mansion he owned and claimed it was unlivable) all that will happen is property and income taxes will keep steadily going up. But, there is always the chance the two will work together to make Illinois better, but I seriously doubt it.

Bah!!

End rambling.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 06 November 2018 - 12:14 AM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7864 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:50 PM

Go Fucking Vote.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#7865 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:59 PM

But I'm not even an American citizen!?

#7866 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:31 PM

Anyone making predictions...or just waiting to see if you will be drinking in celebration, or upset?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7867 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:36 PM

i was just about to post querying when the results would start coming in

#7868 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:37 PM

I'm going full optimist (never go full optimist) Dems take the house and senate

#7869 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:53 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 06 November 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

But I'm not even an American citizen!?

According to the GOP, you're the only kind that votes for Democrats...
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#7870 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:54 PM

View PostMacros, on 06 November 2018 - 04:36 PM, said:

i was just about to post querying when the results would start coming in

First polls close at 7pm EST I think. Should start getting good data for the east coast by 9pm EST, which means all ya'all will have to stay up until like 2am if you are in the UK.

#7871 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:56 PM

View PostMacros, on 06 November 2018 - 04:37 PM, said:

I'm going full optimist (never go full optimist) Dems take the house and senate

I would be very shocked if the Dems take the Senate, just due to which seats are in play, however it is possible. For instance FiveThirtyEight gives them a higher chance of taking the senate then they gave of Trump winning the Presidency in 2016.

Lots of reports of long lines and shocking turnout, which is generally really good for the Democrats.

I guess we'll wait and see.

I totally expect the Dems to take the House though, and they might take it with a huge majority. Very good things if they can get Governorship of GA and FL.

#7872 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:57 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 November 2018 - 04:31 PM, said:

Anyone making predictions...or just waiting to see if you will be drinking in celebration, or upset?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/

They have all their predictions on the front page.

Again, polls are only as good as the polling and they generally only poll 'likely voters', which is generally people who have voted within 3 past elections.

Fivethirtyeight is a aggregate data firm, which means their predictions are only as good as the data they pull in... I'm sure there will be surprises.

#7873 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:05 PM

I hope against hope that Ted Cruz løses Texas. That slimey bastard.

#7874 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 November 2018 - 05:49 PM

View PostObdigore, on 06 November 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 06 November 2018 - 04:31 PM, said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/

They have all their predictions on the front page.

Again, polls are only as good as the polling and they generally only poll 'likely voters', which is generally people who have voted within 3 past elections.

Fivethirtyeight is a aggregate data firm, which means their predictions are only as good as the data they pull in... I'm sure there will be surprises.

Cool. I'll check it out.

All the luck from your neighbours to the north that it's a good result today for you all!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7875 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:02 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 06 November 2018 - 05:05 PM, said:

Hes the only actual human that pretends to be a serial killer to seem more human...

#7876 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:26 PM

When are the results.

#7877 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:42 PM

They'll start trickling in in about 6 hours.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7878 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:09 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 06 November 2018 - 05:05 PM, said:

^This x 1000

I expect the Senate to stay red (though it would be nice if it didn't)...but just seeing Cruz lose Texas would be a balm to that. And Texas would go senate blue for the first time since '94 I think.

Anyways, yeah. Cruz is a Trump-boot licking fucko who I hope gets his walking papers.

Sidebar: As a Canadian, I've never been as interested in your politics as I've been the last few years as the system has been tested by a lunatic (Trump), and his enablers (The GOP), and I'll wager that the world is watching a US Midterms election more than they have...probably ever.

#7879 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:28 PM

The Senate chances would look nicer if there weren't one or two incumbent Dems who are doing their best to lose. I'm relatively optimistic though. Not about Beto (though what a pleasant surprise that would be), but the House for sure and I'm looking at a few governorships (not sure if those have penetrated internationally). Gillum killing it in FL? That'd be sweet. And Stacey Abrams in Georgia -- against one of the most corrupt opponents in the country -- would be something to truly celebrate. And I'd love to see Kris Kobach fed to a wood chipper (figuratively of course!!!).
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7880 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:43 PM

View Postworry, on 06 November 2018 - 08:28 PM, said:

The Senate chances would look nicer if there weren't one or two incumbent Dems who are doing their best to lose. I'm relatively optimistic though. Not about Beto (though what a pleasant surprise that would be), but the House for sure and I'm looking at a few governorships (not sure if those have penetrated internationally). Gillum killing it in FL? That'd be sweet. And Stacey Abrams in Georgia -- against one of the most corrupt opponents in the country -- would be something to truly celebrate. And I'd love to see Kris Kobach fed to a wood chipper (figuratively of course!!!).

Yea, I'm hoping the younger voices of the Democratic party can show that the Dems can become a more left organization and still pull votes.

Running another old white man against Trump is not the answer. They need to energize the people who don't generally vote, not try to 'take' the GOP's rabid following.

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

77 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 77 guests, 0 anonymous users