• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#4961 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:18 AM

Worry, that post confuses me. Clarify please.

Anyways, I'm obviously upset so I probably shouldn't be commenting.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4962 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:31 AM

It's a response to this:

View PostHairshirt, on 01 March 2017 - 03:54 AM, said:

So do exactly what the Republicans did and do everything you just railed against?

I'm saying "exactly what the Republicans did" is a false premise, and referred back to your Gorsuch/Garland comparison as an example of how if you stopped at "blocking judges" these things might seem the same, but when you get to the details they are qualitatively different acts. Likewise, if a thief takes your TV, and you take your TV back, you have both taken a TV, but that doesn't mean they're the same behavior once you get context. Thus what may appear to be "obstruction" can be entirely inappropriate in one context and entirely appropriate in another; it is not "exactly what the Republicans did".
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4963 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:26 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 01 March 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

View PostHairshirt, on 01 March 2017 - 02:44 AM, said:

I'm sure it's happening right now! You do have to admit it does get kinda weird when the other side doesn't clap for something that goes beyond party lines. For example he said something about making it easier for women to start businesses and there were quite a few Dems that didn't clap, that's odd. The same crap happened during Obama's presidency too. I get you don't clap for policies you don't agree with, you shouldn't. But for obvious good things that everyone can support stop being a child and support it! I wonder if they're worried that if they are seen clapping they'll be accused of being soft on the opposition party. If that's the case we are in really bad shape.

He says "making it easier for women to start businesses".

That doesn't mean that's what he is doing.

He's probably referring to strippers and kerbside hookers.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#4964 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:44 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 28 February 2017 - 10:55 PM, said:

http://www.cnn.com/2...linkId=34966255

These people are freakin' unhinged.

"But I want you all to know that that is not me..."

Then why the fuck did you do it?

I'll wager that she did it because, despite her protests to the contrary, that really is who she is.

It's the ol' "When people tell you who you are, believe them the first time!" adage all over again.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#4965 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

I read some people on Reddit talking about that. There have been testimonies that say she exactly IS like that. So yeah, she's just trying to play the "white woman crying" card.

I am both pleased and confused by the sentencing. I mean, yeah it's great that they are shown that such actions will not be tolerated, and rightly so. But... I mean, this is DJT's America. I would have thought they'd be honoured for such actions or something?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4966 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:33 PM

Trump admin lied to press ahead of his speech yesterday, priming journalists with "moderation" claims in order to sway coverage: http://www.mediaite....direction-play/

#4967 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:19 AM

View PostBriar King, on 02 March 2017 - 12:22 AM, said:

Was there a Twitter spaz about seated Dems? I've been glued to PS4 since shortly after end of Address.

Do you actually give a crap about this and not that seemingly half of Trump's key figures are in bed with the dangerous kind of Russians?

It's not been one person or one thing. It's deep and continuing ties that people like Flynn and Sessions are lying about or attempting to hide. Kislyak was the top Russian spy handler in DC as well as the ambassador. That's not unexpected, but it means things when this pops up over and over again with different people all in this group.

This is bad. Real bad. It's looking like the Russians now own many ears in the Trump administration - including Trump - in return for interfering in the election. It's being covered piece by piece in the biggest newspapers and on TV and on the internet.

Putin big boyed us all.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 02 March 2017 - 04:23 AM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4968 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 March 2017 - 07:13 AM

The town halls are working. These cowards are scared of their constituents and their new tactic is gonna be to replace "Obamacare" with the Affordable Care Act and pretend that they did something. And the people who still don't know they're the same thing are gonna fall for it. https://www.washingt...dable-care-act/

#4969 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:14 PM

View PostBriar King, on 02 March 2017 - 12:22 AM, said:

Was there a Twitter spaz about seated Dems? I've been glued to PS4 since shortly after end of Address.

No offense, but a different word choice than 'spaz' might be appropriate in the future. It may have a different connotation in the US, but it isn't really an okay word to use with a UK audience around as well, I don't think...
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4970 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

Might have meant "spat."

Spaz is obviously a play on someone with physical behaviors, IIRC.

I don't know. I'm an adult and don't use those words, unlike the pres.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4971 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:54 PM

Yeah I assumed he meant spat.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4972 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:07 PM

I think he meant that Trump's tweets are mental spasms of juvenile insecurity made digital. In the US, I think spaz is, generally, seen as being short for spasm, not spastic.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 03 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

#4973 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:15 PM

Context and connotation read spat. But BK can speak for himself.

(And, also have it his way lol). Can't believe it took me that long to link the two.

#4974 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:57 PM

So two things.

1. What, if anything, comes about form the Pence email deal? Do the Democrats just get to hold that under the GOP noses as proof that their "lock her up" nonsense won't apply to him because he's a man?

2. Does Sessions tumble from his perch due to the most recent Russia inquiry stuff and his recusing himself? Flynn tumbled due to supposedly much less.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 03 March 2017 - 04:58 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4975 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:01 PM

In the UK the term 'spaz' is a highly derogatory/offensive term used for someone who suffers from cerebral palsy or similar diseases which cause loss of muscle control. So I was just taken aback when I read it. Not being native English-speaking myself, I didn't realise the word doesn't have the same charge to it in the USA as it does in the UK until I looked it up.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4976 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:03 PM

View PostBriar King, on 03 March 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

Honestly i meant spaz. Not being from 🇬🇧 I had no clue. How does this word get to yall exactly??? Yank makes me want to head butt someone.

Spaz still isn't a good word to use here in the USA. The "spastic" thing it is short for refers to the same disability related concepts.

#4977 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

In the web literate portion of the population, the Russian stuff is a huge deal. In the non web literate portion, they don't care. They want jobs and to feel protected.

So whether Sessions goes or not, I dunno. I hope so, especially since he can't go back to being a senator. He's a racist and a vindictive one too.

But the angry town halls that congressman after congressman avoid - they're really out of character for the usual town halls. Which is why the elected idiots are saying they're filled by paid protestors, when it's full of people who've not shown up to one in years.

#4978 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:59 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 March 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

So two things.

1. What, if anything, comes about form the Pence email deal? Do the Democrats just get to hold that under the GOP noses as proof that their "lock her up" nonsense won't apply to him because he's a man?

2. Does Sessions tumble from his perch due to the most recent Russia inquiry stuff and his recusing himself? Flynn tumbled due to supposedly much less.

1. Nothing. Nobody cares about Pence. I don't know why, but nobody cares. By the end of his governorship, he was hated. Political signs were literally NOT PENCE in Indiana. The Trump pick gave him a reason to leave and elevate himself. I'd like to read them just to see how much gay hatred and bootlicking was in them.

2. We'll see. Donny doesn't like bad press. I'd say it's 40/60 on resignation.

#4979 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:56 PM

View Postamphibian, on 03 March 2017 - 06:03 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 03 March 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

Honestly i meant spaz. Not being from 🇬🇧 I had no clue. How does this word get to yall exactly??? Yank makes me want to head butt someone.

Spaz still isn't a good word to use here in the USA. The "spastic" thing it is short for refers to the same disability related concepts.

Had the thought: You can say anything you want here or in real life, but maybe you shouldn't. And this realization makes some people go nuts for some reason.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 03 March 2017 - 08:56 PM

#4980 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:32 PM

Sessions is in deep with the admin, and Trump personally, since he was one of the very first big name supporters. He was also a professional mentor to Stephen Miller. And where Miller and Bannon are more academically fascist, Sessions is the key to the traditional good ol boys leg of that tripod. Think of it this way: Miller hates Hispanics, Bannon hates Jews and Asians, and Sessions hates black people. Together they form a Voltron of hatred for Muslims/Middle Easterners.

In my opinion, he's in lockstep with the admin and as AG is too important to their mission. He's not going anywhere of his own accord or Trump's, and so would have to be taken down by people outside the admin.

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

115 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 115 guests, 0 anonymous users