• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#4981 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:57 PM

Racist Voltron is fucking hilarious. I want an image of them combining.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4982 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:30 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 03 March 2017 - 09:57 PM, said:

Racist Voltron is fucking hilarious. I want an image of them combining.

Unfortunately, since there's only three of them, it's Voltron II: The Gladiator, aka The Sucky Voltron.
Posted Image

Maybe I shoulda gone with the Captain Planet metaphor, w/ Trump as Racist Captain Planet.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4983 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:48 PM

As an aside momentarily.
Why do Americans get pissed of by the word yank (genuine question) I always assumed it was like someone calling English people brits. Or the Irish Paddys.

ETA spaz - it's a shortened version of spastic, which is not a nice word.

This post has been edited by Macros: 03 March 2017 - 10:49 PM

#4984 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:55 PM

I don't know anyone who'd get mad at that, but I've seen em on TV and read about em. There's just a certain brand of American that loves othering and hates being othered.

#4985 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:58 PM

To clarify further, I mean it in the sense I don't see how it's a derogatory term.
Like calling the French frogs, I could see their annoyance. I mean I don't know is of any French sports teams called 'the froggies'

#4986 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:59 PM

View PostMacros, on 03 March 2017 - 10:48 PM, said:

As an aside momentarily.
Why do Americans get pissed of by the word yank (genuine question) I always assumed it was like someone calling English people brits. Or the Irish Paddys.

ETA spaz - it's a shortened version of spastic, which is not a nice word.

We don't as far as I know. We have a professional baseball team called the New York Yankees. The only thing I can think is if you're from the south and wish the Civil War would have ended differently then maybe yank causes you some discomfort.

What about "limey" is that offensive to the British?

#4987 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:53 AM

"Yanks" = Yankees = Northerners. Outsiders, interlopers, and frankly non-Southern people.

In Tennessee and Kentucky it's put down as not being "southern." That's been my experience. It's generally found in non-metro areas.

Classic country. I was proud to be: "For a Yank you are alright."
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4988 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:16 AM

Ah a yank is basically more northern states.
Not English but I don't think Limey really pisses englishers off, it's more of a banter thing with the convicts.
I still don't get why it files people up, you're all Americans but whatever. ( Were it separate countries N/S Korea it would be more sensible IMO)

#4989 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:39 PM

Wow, Trump's tweets this morning about Obama. In psychology 101 terminology isn't that known as 'projection'? Or emphatically attributing something onto someone else for which you yourself are guilty of? And what the hell is his continual infatuation with Hillary Clinton and Barak Obama anyway? Obama didn't obsess on Bush. Bush didn't obsess on Clinton and so forth down the history of the presidents. Man, this is the oddest (to say it kindly) president, ever.

#4990 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:51 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 04 March 2017 - 04:53 AM, said:

"Yanks" = Yankees = Northerners. Outsiders, interlopers, and frankly non-Southern people.

In Tennessee and Kentucky it's put down as not being "southern." That's been my experience. It's generally found in non-metro areas.

In general, the ones who get mad about being called "yanks" are the white Southerners from the states that revolted over slavery.

After the revolt got put down and Lincoln was assassinated, a ton of northerners tried to move down south and take advantage of the plantations and cities breaking up due to slavery being abolished. They were called "carpetbaggers" and often were hated because they were accelerating the dramatic shifts in life the "South" was undergoing and many were shitty people doing shitty things.

In essence, resistance to this term is dimly understandable, but it connects back to slavery and a separate identity that has in its roots the subjugation of brown people. But most people don't see it that way because they don't quite admit to this and/or never connected the dots fully. It's similar to the Confederate flag being "part of a rich heritage".
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4991 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:55 PM

Trump ran on the promise that he would undo Obama's communist muslim satanist policies. Obama will continue to serve as a great scapegoat and punching bag for the imaginary ills certain Americans attribute to the lefts politics. When ever Trump is accused of something, just make up something bad Obama did and say "look over there!".

#4992 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 04 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

You swim in it.

Although you recognize that the big words are racist and you'll rightly thump someone using them, you don't have the context or the awareness of things like the Southern Democrat/Republican switch in the 50s and 60s or about things like that interviewing guy you said was funny without realizing he's a dog whistling asshole that was inching closer and closer to finally being the racist asshole the video pointed out he was.

You have asserted pride in being a Cajun without being a racist. I see that and like that you've gotten that far. But a lot of people around you don't and they're part of the reason we have a bunch of racist assholes running Louisiana and various other parts of the country into the ground.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4993 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

View PostBriar King, on 04 March 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 04 March 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 04 March 2017 - 04:53 AM, said:

In general, the ones who get mad about being called "yanks" are the white Southerners from the states that revolted over slavery.

After the revolt got put down and Lincoln was assassinated, a ton of northerners tried to move down south and take advantage of the plantations and cities breaking up due to slavery being abolished. They were called "carpetbaggers" and often were hated because they were accelerating the dramatic shifts in life the "South" was undergoing and many were shitty people doing shitty things.

In essence, resistance to this term is dimly understandable, but it connects back to slavery and a separate identity that has in its roots the subjugation of brown people. But most people don't see it that way because they don't quite admit to this and/or never connected the dots fully. It's similar to the Confederate flag being "part of a rich heritage".

Congrats this is the 2nd time you have said without directly saying im a racist. Fucking say it to me or stop with the beating around the bush thinking you are so superior with it.

View Postamphibian, on 04 March 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

You swim in it.

Although you recognize that the big words are racist and you'll rightly thump someone using them, you don't have the context or the awareness of things like the Southern Democrat/Republican switch in the 50s and 60s or about things like that interviewing guy you said was funny without realizing he's a dog whistling asshole that was inching closer and closer to finally being the racist asshole the video pointed out he was.

You have asserted pride in being a Cajun without being a racist. I see that and like that you've gotten that far. But a lot of people around you don't and they're part of the reason we have a bunch of racist assholes running Louisiana and various other parts of the country into the ground.

If I may butt in,

BK, I would not take this personally. Sometimes you can have the misfortune of being part of a group, without actually being part of a group.

To explain, I am not sure how much you know about the Indian caste system, Amph will know, but I am of a high caste. I myself reject the system entirely, but still I cannot ignore the fact that I am part of a group that has historically dehumanized and oppressed billions of people. And to this day I will get certain advantages in society simply because of my name.

Now, if someone was to say "High caste people are oppressive" I could point out that I certainly am not part of that kind of attitude, but I would not be able to deny the historical reality of it. Doing so would be dishonest.

So, in your case, while you are not a racist, unfortunately you are born into a region and a larger social paradigm of racism, which is reinforced through historical developments. It's a very tough situation to handle, but I have found that looking at things very honestly and dispassionately helps.

#4994 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:19 PM

Hoosiers are fucking redneck and racist as all get out. I grew up around casually racist people. I work with Pro-Trump people. I have to speak very carefully in every day life. Even in Indy which is blue as can be.

It's mostly a play on words but I own it.

#4995 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

View PostMacros, on 04 March 2017 - 08:16 AM, said:

Not English but I don't think Limey really pisses englishers off, it's more of a banter thing with the convicts.
I still don't get why it files people up, you're all Americans but whatever. ( Were it separate countries N/S Korea it would be more sensible IMO)

The ugly roots of it are in the South TRYING to become another country. Civil War and all.

#4996 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:22 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 04 March 2017 - 05:23 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 04 March 2017 - 08:16 AM, said:

The ugly roots of it are in the South TRYING to become another country. Civil War and all.

Yeah it's a fairly regressive thing afaik "I don't want to be associated with those Yankees"
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4997 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:12 PM

Did Trump just seriously accuse Obama of tapping his phone?

#4998 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:18 PM

Are you surprised?

Can't handle his own stuff so he shifts away. It's automatic. Dude is a narcissist.

#4999 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 March 2017 - 10:33 PM

You must be doing it wrong.

Anyway, yah, with Trump...I hate to invoke a cliche fallacy like "If there's smoke there's fire" but this is getting ridiculous. I don't think you have to accept some wild Manchurian Candidate style conspiracy, you just have to accept that some quid pro quo deals were brokered, specifically for the oil industry (Ukraine being a sub-issue of that).

#5000 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:13 PM

Here's some light reading on one source of Steve Bannon's personal philosophy. http://www.huffingto...4b0284854b3dc03

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

72 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 72 guests, 0 anonymous users