• You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#3941 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:07 AM

Apt, on 09 November 2016 - 07:40 AM, said:

So, I've been staying out of this thread for months because US policts doesn't really interest me that much, but... Is the above hyperbole the common opinion of the Malazan Empire?

You seriously think the economy is going to tank? That abortions are going to be abolished? That the justice system is going to be dismantled, etc? You're all acting like the sky is falling.

Don't you see any similarities between your predictions of the election (Trump has no chance) and your predictions of what's going to happen in the next 4 years? (The world is ending)

Trump is a business man. He's going to run the White House like the Chairman of the Board. He'll have head hunters that will select the best people (He has The Best People), who are most likely to create political profit and who will make him look good. IE competent people who will make sure the country doesn't hit an iceberg.

Personally I think it's fascinating that Trump is almost certainly your next president. Maybe he's going to fail but at least you're going to try something different for 4 years.

Lots of things that are easy to say if you don't live here.

I'm kind of surprised that you aren't worried by this. Do you want a Russian puppet as the AMERICAN president? For real?

Trump is the Huey Long of the 21st century and he WON.

You should be afraid.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3942 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:08 AM

Grief, on 09 November 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

Horrible news to wake up to. I can't imagine, or stomach, how it must feel to be a woman or minority in the US right now.

Ain't just them, Grief. I'm sure he'll find a list somewhere.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3943 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:12 AM

Let's hope that there is a solid, respected cabinet.

Please.

Lord knows he has no fucking clue what he's doing.

#3944 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:15 AM

I feel sorry for the daughters of Trump voters. If their parents think Trump is worthy of being president, just imagine the examples they are setting for their daughters. That it's okay for men to view them as objects, that it's okay for men to call them names, to sexually assault them. And as for their sons, no wonder there is no shortage of Brock Turners in the States and powerful men willing to view them as the victim instead as the vile bastards they really are.

Well done on failing your children.

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#3945 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:17 AM

I might not live in America or the American continent but even I want to move to Canada now.

:D
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#3946 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:22 AM

HoosierDaddy, on 09 November 2016 - 08:07 AM, said:

So, I've been staying out of this thread for months because US policts doesn't really interest me that much, but... Is the above hyperbole the common opinion of the Malazan Empire?

You seriously think the economy is going to tank? That abortions are going to be abolished? That the justice system is going to be dismantled, etc? You're all acting like the sky is falling.

Don't you see any similarities between your predictions of the election (Trump has no chance) and your predictions of what's going to happen in the next 4 years? (The world is ending)

Trump is a business man. He's going to run the White House like the Chairman of the Board. He'll have head hunters that will select the best people (He has The Best People), who are most likely to create political profit and who will make him look good. IE competent people who will make sure the country doesn't hit an iceberg.

Personally I think it's fascinating that Trump is almost certainly your next president. Maybe he's going to fail but at least you're going to try something different for 4 years.

I'm kind of surprised that you aren't worried by this. Do you want a Russian puppet as the AMERICAN president? For real?

You should be afraid.

Please America is more scary than Russia. You guys invade other countries and torture people and call it just but somehow Russia is the bad guys.

There are no good guys. Just different shades of shit. Trump is at least a new flavor of bulls hit. One that doesn't try to conceal the smell.

America got a new president and life goes on. You still have a Congress and Senate that keeps the country running.

This post has been edited by Apt: 09 November 2016 - 08:24 AM

#3947 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:37 AM

I've got Ukraine between me and Russia. Sure, I'm in a EU and NATO country but still. I don't trust Russia. We have very bad memories of the last time they were here.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#3948 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:49 AM

What the everloving fuck!

I'm literally without words that this could have actually come to pass.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3949 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:53 AM

Apt, on 09 November 2016 - 08:22 AM, said:

You should be afraid.

Please America is more scary than Russia. You guys invade other countries and torture people and call it just but somehow Russia is the bad guys.

There are no good guys. Just different shades of shit. Trump is at least a new flavor of bulls hit. One that doesn't try to conceal the smell.

America got a new president and life goes on. You still have a Congress and Senate that keeps the country running.

Uh, Apt? The country that tortures people, doesn't respect the freedom of speech, invaded (overtly or covertly) multiple countries over the last decade with the plan of staying there is Russia. By no means do I want to sound supportive of ill-thought off Western interventions such as Libya and Syria, and the Afghanistan and Iraq wars were major mistakes (as most wars of revanchism are), but it wasn't intended as conquest.
Russia has a collapsing economy, an autocrat president with ambition, a modernized army and over a decade of state press. Coupled with a an unknown entity in charge of the biggest coalition member opposite them and you're looking at the ingredients of a fuck-up.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#3950 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:00 AM

God, I've got to wake up tomorrow to this.

I don't want to look, but hopefully the Senate has at least 40+ Democrats to block most fucking retarded legislation or repeals of Obamacare.

Shit. I'm depressed again.

#3951 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:02 AM

What the Hell happened? He was behind in the polls?

I am hoping that America is in reality pretty much too large a ship to steer. Some things might change but I imagine that many long term goals of the Americans are too entrenched to be quickly overturned. Leaving NATO for example wont be easy even if Trump is serious about wanting to. I wanted Hillary to win because she has experience and represented the status quo, whereas I felt trump represented demagogue politics. He seemed to say and support any idea that he felt would earn him more votes, how many of those ideas he really plans to follow through on I don't know. .

#3952 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:09 AM

As a non-US resident, the biggest thing that currently worries me about Trump's victory is that we are almost certainly going to lose four years for any activity on climate change from the world's biggest influencer (positively and negatively) on this issue. That will be a crime.

As for the rest...I had a bad feeling ever since the first exit polls. Polling has been badly off the last few years across the Western world.

It will at least be interesting to see what happens, if he manages to appease the many of those who voted for him in the expectation that he will turn back time to a period when their jobs existed. But the technological revolution is not going anywhere and is simply picking up pace. Actually, the sooner we all lose our jobs to robots the better. Then hopefully we can just pass the time in idleness and unproductivity, secure in the knowledge that human hands are nowhere near the reins of power.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#3953 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:10 AM

What happened?

1. Democrats elected a viable, but toxic candidate.
2. Republicans elected a maverick with no ideas but spiel.
3. Democrat wins debates 1, 2, and 3.
4. Republicans and conservatives don't care. They called out the toxicity and say "we'll make you better!" (they won't)
5. FBI releases a completely unneeded report that pulls down Democrat.
6. Republican pounces like a cat on a mouse for 8 days.
7. FBI releases a letter saying, "Sorry, my bad." Nobody gives a shit anymore.
8. Every hillbilly in the nation comes out to vote for his racist and sexist President candidate.
9. Victory.

How to win in America? BE RICH and pander to WHITE LOW INCOMES..

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 09 November 2016 - 09:16 AM

#3954 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:28 AM

That's how Western media driven democracies work these days. Politicians are not there to draft and uphold long-term policies for the betterment of all, they require short-term populist pandering to get the required votes and screw the consequences. It is far easier to point out problems and find a scapegoat than to try and explain to the masses why those problems arose in the first place and how they can be solved. Democracy in its current form does not work for the greater good of all, it panders to shortsighted populism.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#3955 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:30 AM

QuickTidal, on 09 November 2016 - 08:49 AM, said:

What the everloving fuck!

I'm literally without words that this could have actually come to pass.

I'm just surprised that everyone is so surprised. Everyone watched the Uk split down the middle as the majority rose up to show their dissatisfaction by voting for something that they felt represented their own feelings.

I'm just sorry that half of the US will now be feeling how half of us felt back in the summer.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#3956 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:33 AM

Tapper, on 09 November 2016 - 08:53 AM, said:

You should be afraid.

Uh, Apt? The country that tortures people, doesn't respect the freedom of speech, invaded (overtly or covertly) multiple countries over the last decade with the plan of staying there is Russia. By no means do I want to sound supportive of ill-thought off Western interventions such as Libya and Syria, and the Afghanistan and Iraq wars were major mistakes (as most wars of revanchism are), but it wasn't intended as conquest.
Russia has a collapsing economy, an autocrat president with ambition, a modernized army and over a decade of state press. Coupled with a an unknown entity in charge of the biggest coalition member opposite them and you're looking at the ingredients of a fuck-up.

Sure all of that is terrible, horrible shit. However I don't see the rest of the world condemning America or creating blockades and sanctions, despite America invading sovereign nations that are a part of the UN. Guantanamo is still open, reports continue to be leaked about the CIAs criminal international activities, not to mention the crimes against humanity and soldiers captured in war.

But seriously, all of this is besides the point. An American president that is more willing to speak with and discuss terms with a Russian president is a good thing. Communication is the first step towards a greater understanding.

Is Donald Trump a walking piece of shit in a 5000 dollar suit? Sure, but hey, here we have a guy who is politically irregular and unpredictable. He's bound to create upheaval and that's a good thing. Maybe America will burn down in the process but if something happens to the way America's crazy political machine works, how the politicians pander and the media works, then hopefully it will be worth it. Trump doesn't have any allegiances but to himself and that will either be a great strength or a disaster.

Watching from the sideline I think Trump has just a big a chance of being "Change you can believe in" as Obama was. And just like Obama, I think there's a big chance that all the crazy shit Trump will pull will never make it past voting in Congress or the Senate. In essence you will have a clown of a president and nothing will really change. People will continue to be outraged. Another election comes around and once again people will predict the end of the world if [Republican/Democrat] becomes the president.

#3957 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:34 AM

I think this covers the reaction of everyone in the world with more than half a brain pretty well:

This post has been edited by Captain Needa: 09 November 2016 - 09:34 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3958 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:38 AM

Apt, on 09 November 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

Tapper, on 09 November 2016 - 08:53 AM, said:

You should be afraid.

Sure all of that is terrible, horrible shit. However I don't see the rest of the world condemning America or creating blockades and sanctions, despite America invading sovereign nations that are a part of the UN. Guantanamo is still open, reports continue to be leaked about the CIAs criminal international activities, not to mention the crimes against humanity and soldiers captured in war.

But seriously, all of this is besides the point. An American president that is more willing to speak with and discuss terms with a Russian president is a good thing. Communication is the first step towards a greater understanding.

Is Donald Trump a walking piece of shit in a 5000 dollar suit? Sure, but hey, here we have a guy who is politically irregular and unpredictable. He's bound to create upheaval and that's a good thing. Maybe America will burn down in the process but if something happens to the way America's crazy political machine works, how the politicians pander and the media works, then hopefully it will be worth it. Trump doesn't have any allegiances but to himself and that will either be a great strength or a disaster.

Watching from the sideline I think Trump has just a big a chance of being "Change you can believe in" as Obama was. And just like Obama, I think there's a big chance that all the crazy shit Trump will pull will never make it past voting in Congress or the Senate. In essence you will have a clown of a president and nothing will really change. People will continue to be outraged. Another election comes around and once again people will predict the end of the world if [Republican/Democrat] becomes the president.

You've got no fucking idea what you are talking about. Have you ever heard of the Supreme Court?

Trump is going to BREAK our system of government over that. Because the Republicans started it and you better be damned sure the Democrats will follow in kind.

Shut up, Apt.

#3959 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:43 AM

Two administrators here makes me feel guilty even though we are playing nice, lol.

#3960 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:44 AM

Apt, on 09 November 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

I think there's a big chance that all the crazy shit Trump will pull will never make it past voting in Congress or the Senate. In essence you will have a clown of a president and nothing will really change. People will continue to be outraged. Another election comes around and once again people will predict the end of the world if [Republican/Democrat] becomes the president.

Republicans, I believe, now have control of both Senate and House of Reps as well as the presidency. What will win out for the establishment Republicans? Their dislike of Trump, or their hatred of anything at all proposed by Democrats? I do wonder to what extent they will vote through policies for the simple reason that they will be something the Dems will be against.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

27 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 27 guests, 0 anonymous users