• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#3701 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:47 PM

https://www.theguard...-george-monbiot

This might help, I wouldn't say the Democrats are purely neoliberal, neoliberal policies have in general been more espoused by the republicans, but the Democrats as a party follow economic orthodoxy which is generally neoliberal. Bernie and trump both are different reactions to neoliberalism as a policy, Bernie promoting a return to keynsian economics, whilst trumps economic policies seem to be neoliberalism hasn't worked because we haven't been liberal enough coupled with a hefty dose of protectionism (which is otherwise alien to the neoliberal cause).

#3702 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:13 PM

This might also help:

http://www.msnbc.com...r-the-democrats

(Resnikoff wrote a better piece on the New Democrats but I can't find it.)

This post has been edited by Terez: 07 November 2016 - 07:17 PM

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#3703 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:09 AM

So a question for Americans on this site:

Before Brexit, most serious people thought the a "No" vote was unlikely despite what the polls showed. Before the Canadian election day, a liberal majority was not seen in any of the poll aggregates but it happened.

Political institutions have not been the most accurate predictors in the past couple of years. What are your experiences from the people around you regarding the support for candidates? Who do you think will win?

Also, do you find violence after the election likely? (this is one of the most terrifying outcomes for me, it's practically the start of a new terrorist movement if it happens)

Edit: It's interesting that even betting sites give Trump lower odds than 538.
http://www.reuters.c...x-idUSKBN1320HY

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 08 November 2016 - 02:14 AM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#3704 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:23 AM

538 has explained its methodology, and Nate Silver is usually pretty good. But his predictions have Hillary in a landslide as often as a close election. It's the weight of the recent polls, I believe.

Hillary will win a close popular vote, more lopsided electoral college (I pray to god).

In other words, just watching this speech in Philadelphia by all the Clintons and Obama's, there's a reason Obama was so much more enticing. He's just brilliant as a speaker.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3705 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:17 AM

Don't see Louisiana in any Electoral map for Hillary. Biased by conditions. It's the same thing here. I'm voting for down-ticket ballots, Trump has won Indiana.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3706 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:20 AM

I voted today. Since I live in one of the least likely states to decide the election (Illinois) I wrote in Elizabeth Warren. (I feel good about that.) I voted for downticket Democrats, though, including Tammy Duckworth.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#3707 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:36 AM

View PostI Got Crabs, on 08 November 2016 - 02:35 AM, said:

Will there be violence? I doubt it. Lots of yelling for sure but it ll be over shortly. Will the world burn if Trump gets in? No! This gets said every election by each side. If anyone does any burning it ll be due to N Kor (I think) doing it 1st but let's pray that WW2 mistake is never repeated ever. I hate doom n gloom shit.

Y'all know where I stand who I hope wins but I think it's unlikely to happen. Who do people I know stand with? I've said it here before: this is the only place where I have seen outright support for her. No one I know in person wants it from my poor, middle, or millionaire friends, white, brown, or black and I'd not term any of them deploreables. Some are very vocal in hatred toward her but I ve never heard anything that would make them seem insane. Who are people backing in area? Trump. Signs everywhere along roads, in yards, Trump vendors everywhere in my town. I've seriously never heard anyone say they want her or overhear unknowns in store etc again white, brown or black say it either.

She ll win

This is one of those situations where the secret ballot and not talking politics in public is a good thing. Louisiana will probably go Trump, but the biggest cities will probably tilt Clinton.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#3708 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:43 AM

View PostI Got Crabs, on 08 November 2016 - 03:38 AM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 08 November 2016 - 03:17 AM, said:

Don't see Louisiana in any Electoral map for Hillary. Biased by conditions. It's the same thing here. I'm voting for down-ticket ballots, Trump has won Indiana.

I'd be thunderstruck if it did from what I'm seeing in person. I was still quite taken back with all my fellow patients saying they were Dems their entire voting life but wouldn't support her for anything. Surprised the hell out of me at the time.

They still might. I have to actively be passive at my office and entertain them as all bosses are hardcore Republicans. Frankly, most people who are vocal in Indiana are Republicans. So I grew up around it.

This is why ballots are secret.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 08 November 2016 - 03:44 AM

#3709 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:21 AM

The thing is, there's already political violence. That's why BLM started, which I tend to think provided the catalyst for the white supremacist wave Trump is riding. There's the focused stuff of the alt-right -- not huge, but loud and occasionally powerful online -- but there's a much more massive unfocused white resentment permeating the air because the status quo is shifting. There's actually been two cop massacres in the US by white racists lashing out just this past week (not necessarily widely covered once it was clear black people hadn't done the shooting, of course) and this kind of stuff is going to continue into the foreseeable future. White supremacy suffusing all tiers of society. White people who have good reasons to be angry at a system that oppresses them too but who get charged up at POCs etc. because they don't understand the academic concept of "privilege".

I don't see there being white riots or anything of that level, and probably not a huge uptick in violence towards those at the top of the food chain (politicians & other power brokers), but the problem of Trump isn't gonna be solved when he loses tomorrow -- it maaay lose some steam, but I wouldn't count on it.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3710 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 08 November 2016 - 10:57 AM

Apparently the first results will start coming in Wed 11am my time, so I look forward to watching the electile dysfunction. :p

The fun part of schadenfreude is I like to watch. :)

Nah, just joking, I hope it all has a minimum of fuss and a clear winner, with the loser(s) graciously accepting defeat. (What? It might happen!)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#3711 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:05 AM

As someone who started actively paying attention to American events from 9/11 and American politics from Obama in 2008, this is the first election where I am actually apprehensive.

Good luck to the Americans here!

#3712 User is offline   Hairshirt 

• Lieutenant

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:07 PM

The first results are in! Dixville Notch New Hampshire goes for Clinton with 4 votes to 2 for Trump.

I mention this simply for the name of Dixville Notch which made me chuckle because I have the sense of humor of a 12 year old boy.

#3713 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 08 November 2016 - 12:37 PM

Yeah good luck you lot (ignoring BK!). The last 2 votes here I went to bed tentatively thinking there was going to be a result I could live with and woke up to worst case and genuine misery.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#3714 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:03 PM

Good luck America. Your northern neighbours are watching this as intensely as you'd imagine.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3715 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:16 PM

The talk of my office is that there are longer lines than usual. I had to wait about 20 minutes to vote this morning. In the past we had 3 voting booths, this morning only 2.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#3716 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:20 PM

May the best woman win!
Although apparently The Donald has a more feminine speech pattern than Hillary.

This post has been edited by Tapper: 08 November 2016 - 02:20 PM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#3717 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:05 PM

Couldn't find a place to park to vote. Will have to go after work. :)

This is after TRYING to vote early, but never being able to find a place to park. I'll walk if I have to. Charging the smart phone at work for the long wait.

It's D-DAY!!!!!!!

#3718 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:29 PM

View PostI Got Crabs, on 08 November 2016 - 03:38 AM, said:

I'd be thunderstruck if it did from what I'm seeing in person. I was still quite taken back with all my fellow patients saying they were Dems their entire voting life but wouldn't support her for anything. Surprised the hell out of me at the time.

Did you miss people telling you that your old men friends are most likely part of the crowd of Southern Democrats (mostly known for anti-black and racist policies) that mostly flipped to being Republican in the 1960s?

It's like you missed out on the bigger nuances in US history if you don't know that.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#3719 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:43 PM

You trying to tell me Dixiecrats aren't a thing anymore?

Yeah, ye olde Southern Strategy paid off for the Republicans.

#3720 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:10 PM

I'm in a mail in ballot state. Dropped my ballot off at the county clerk & recorder's office this morning (1/2 mile away). Taking they day off, so then went and had a hearty breakfast at Crazy Otto's Diner. Have a solid bourbon and top quality cigars for tonight as results roll in. Should be a hoot and a holler.

Share this topic:

• 712 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users