• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#7541 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 September 2018 - 01:15 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 20 September 2018 - 12:56 PM, said:

That's it. They know something is going to happen with the Mueller case, sooner or later, and Trump is trying to get support in place before that happens. There's no doubt a bunch of other people in the Rep party who will be taken down too so they're all acting in their own interests to get Kavanaugh in ASAP. Because they're all self serving hypocrites.

And it's being jammed through now to try to beat the midterm elections, where the GOP stands to possibly lose some power.

It's all so clear as day really. No one even needs it explained. It's all a power grab, while they have all the power, and the president wanting to save his own skin.

If this were the villains plot in a movie, we'd consider it hackneyed and telegraphed. Sigh.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7542 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:32 PM

One point that I would like to bring up is that the Catholic Church had covered up tragedies like abuse of children by priests for decades. The primary method of this coming to public attention has been the victims coming forward to tell their stories years or even decades later. Many of them are men and many of them are treated better then the women who come forward about their experiences of abuse.

Coming forward in public years or decades later is a very, very normal thing to do. That's a thing that's almost baked into this whole cycle of abuse and pain.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7543 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 September 2018 - 03:08 AM

Man. This GOP semi-big-wig has been spouting off all day some made up theory that Dr. Ford may be misremembering who attempted to rape her -- he goes so far as to name a "doppleganger" classmate he says may have actually done it, a pretty unconscionable act if what you cared about was spurious allegations. I wasn't gonna post about it, because it was so gross and stupid and seemed to be one dude, even though credulous beltway morons at like Politico and other publications were taking it seriously.

But now it looks like it's likely that the theory wasn't just created in a vacuum, and Sen. Orrin Hatch may have been in on it, and Judge Kavanaugh himself may have been.

I'm not saying it's undeniably a cabal, but it doesn't look like a coincidence to me. And such a disgusting display of circling the wagons around this scumbag at all costs, including national dignity and personal humanity, deserves all the scrutiny and pushback it gets.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7544 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 21 September 2018 - 04:06 AM

'For those of you who don’t know, I went to Georgetown Prep, where both Kavanaugh and Gorsuch went as well. When I came forward with allegations regarding Gary Orr, a former priest, sexually assaulting me…Mark Judge (Kavanaugh’s friend in this who despicable story of sexual assault) reached out to alums saying that Gary Orr was a great priest and that I had obviously been corrupted by liberalism into a homosexual and therefore was most definitely lying.

THEN, years later when Orr admitted to raping a whole cadre of children, he said that Orr was raping kids because of the unchecked liberalism at Prep, and that regardless of whether or not I was telling the truth, I was a homosexual and had it coming. Google “Mark Judge Gary Orr” and you will see what a fucking loon this guy is, and with what malice he writes his right wing bullshit.

So…for me to hear that this son of a bitch is involved in the allegations of Kavanaugh attempting to rape a girl in high school comes as no surprise to me. It’s always the loudest most arrogant voices that are trying to hide the truth beneath the din of their own pompous voices.

And by the way, the story that this woman is telling is one that I know was repeated dozens of times in my 4 years at Prep.'

https://heavy.com/ne...ter-eric-ruyak/

#7545 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 21 September 2018 - 10:14 AM

That's disgusting. I can't think of a more stupid defence than if it did happen it probably happened with this other guy who looks similar and went to the same schook.

I hope this poor guy has grounds for a suit or something.

#7546 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 September 2018 - 11:06 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 21 September 2018 - 04:06 AM, said:

'For those of you who don’t know, I went to Georgetown Prep, where both Kavanaugh and Gorsuch went as well. When I came forward with allegations regarding Gary Orr, a former priest, sexually assaulting me…Mark Judge (Kavanaugh’s friend in this who despicable story of sexual assault) reached out to alums saying that Gary Orr was a great priest and that I had obviously been corrupted by liberalism into a homosexual and therefore was most definitely lying.

THEN, years later when Orr admitted to raping a whole cadre of children, he said that Orr was raping kids because of the unchecked liberalism at Prep, and that regardless of whether or not I was telling the truth, I was a homosexual and had it coming. Google “Mark Judge Gary Orr” and you will see what a fucking loon this guy is, and with what malice he writes his right wing bullshit.

So…for me to hear that this son of a bitch is involved in the allegations of Kavanaugh attempting to rape a girl in high school comes as no surprise to me. It’s always the loudest most arrogant voices that are trying to hide the truth beneath the din of their own pompous voices.

And by the way, the story that this woman is telling is one that I know was repeated dozens of times in my 4 years at Prep.'

https://heavy.com/ne...ter-eric-ruyak/

This is why an old fashioned beating will never fully go out of style, even in a civilized society. It amazes me what people get away with saying in public.

#7547 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 September 2018 - 11:57 AM

Fill the sack with doorknobs, stat

#7548 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 September 2018 - 12:40 AM

Whoa, is this the most brutal political attack ad ever? <_<

https://www.news.com...103099a5a98b556

And more after a quick Google search on "Gosar ad"

https://thehill.com/...e-my-brother-as

Unfortunately, the Dem candidate Dr Brill looks quite smug himself.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 22 September 2018 - 01:05 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7549 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:24 AM

View PostTsundoku, on 22 September 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Whoa, is this the most brutal political attack ad ever? <_<

I cannot imagine what kind of asshole you have to be for 6 of your siblings to go on record supporting the other guy.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#7550 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:32 AM

Responsible governance.

This is not the woman being represented by Michael Avanetti, so there is a potential third incident. Anyway the New Yorker article is cowritten by Ronan Farrow, who's proven himself to be a diligent investigative reporter, and Jane Mayer whose reputation is sterling.

A classmate of Ramirez's, who declined to be identified because of the partisan battle over Kavanaugh's nomination, said that another student told him about the incident either on the night of the party or in the next day or two. The classmate said that he is "one-hundred-per-cent sure" that he was told at the time that Kavanaugh was the student who exposed himself to Ramirez. He independently recalled many of the same details offered by Ramirez, including that a male student had encouraged Kavanaugh as he exposed himself.

There's also relevant content about Mark Judge, who to my knowledge is still not going to testify at the hearing (which is now set for Thursday). It does not necessarily involve Kavanaugh, but it does give lie to some of Judge's other more general statements about that time.

#7551 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:34 AM

If that Tweet isn't working (it's not for me) it's at: https://twitter.com/...013659385712642 and states: "When Senate Republicans learned of a second sexual abuse allegation against Kavanaugh, their reaction was to...demand the vote for his confirmation be moved up." which is info from the story.

#7552 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:10 AM

View Postworry, on 24 September 2018 - 02:34 AM, said:

If that Tweet isn't working (it's not for me) it's at: https://twitter.com/...013659385712642 and states: "When Senate Republicans learned of a second sexual abuse allegation against Kavanaugh, their reaction was to...demand the vote for his confirmation be moved up." which is info from the story.

'Thank you for your email. We are aware of significant evidence of multiple house parties in the Washington, D.C. area during the early 1980s which Brett Kavanaugh, Mark Judge and others would participate in the targeting of women with alcohol/drugs in order to allow a "train" of men to subsequently gang rape therm. There are multiple witnesses that will corroborate these facts and each of them must be called to testify publicly. As a starting point, Senate investigators should pose the following questions to Judge Kavanaugh without delay and provide the answers to the American people:
1. Did you ever target one or more women for sex or rape at a house party? Did you ever assist Mark Judge or others in doing so?
2. Did you ever attend any house party during which a woman was gang raped or used for sex by multiple men?
3. Did you ever witness a line of men outside a bedroom at any house party where you understood a woman was in the bedroom being raped or taken advantage of?
4. Did you ever participate in any sexual conduct with a woman at a house party whom you understood to be intoxicated or under the influence Of drugs?
5. Did you ever communicate with Mark Judge or anyone else about your participation in a "train" involving an intoxicated woman?
6. Did you ever object or attempt to prevent one or more men from participating in the rape, or taking advantange, of a woman at any house party?
Please note that we will additional evidence relating to the above conduct both to Committee and the American public in the coming days.
Regards,
Michael Avenatti '

https://twitter.com/...032678951960576

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 24 September 2018 - 06:13 AM

#7553 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:49 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 22 September 2018 - 01:24 AM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 22 September 2018 - 12:40 AM, said:

Whoa, is this the most brutal political attack ad ever? :(

I cannot imagine what kind of asshole you have to be for 6 of your siblings to go on record supporting the other guy.

To be fair, I imagine that in US politics this will only work in the Rep guy's favour. The Arizona voters will probably go: "How disgusting of his siblings to so publically crucify him over leftist crap like climate and social care? They clearly have no sense of family values. Family values are what makes our country great! I will definitely vote Republican now!"
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#7554 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 September 2018 - 10:07 AM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 24 September 2018 - 06:10 AM, said:

'Thank you for your email. We are aware of significant evidence of multiple house parties in the Washington, D.C. area during the early 1980s which Brett Kavanaugh, Mark Judge and others would participate in the targeting of women with alcohol/drugs in order to allow a "train" of men to subsequently gang rape therm. There are multiple witnesses that will corroborate these facts and each of them must be called to testify publicly. As a starting point, Senate investigators should pose the following questions to Judge Kavanaugh without delay and provide the answers to the American people:
1. Did you ever target one or more women for sex or rape at a house party? Did you ever assist Mark Judge or others in doing so?
2. Did you ever attend any house party during which a woman was gang raped or used for sex by multiple men?
3. Did you ever witness a line of men outside a bedroom at any house party where you understood a woman was in the bedroom being raped or taken advantage of?
4. Did you ever participate in any sexual conduct with a woman at a house party whom you understood to be intoxicated or under the influence Of drugs?
5. Did you ever communicate with Mark Judge or anyone else about your participation in a "train" involving an intoxicated woman?
6. Did you ever object or attempt to prevent one or more men from participating in the rape, or taking advantange, of a woman at any house party?
Please note that we will additional evidence relating to the above conduct both to Committee and the American public in the coming days.
Regards,
Michael Avenatti '

Holy shit. If Avenatti actually has that kind of evidence, oh boy this really escalated. This is Chernobyl levels of dirt.

Then again I feel like Avenatti has been claiming to have all kinds of evidence against Trump for ages but most of his claims seem to just be bait for Trump and co's legal team.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 24 September 2018 - 10:08 AM

#7555 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 September 2018 - 12:54 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 24 September 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

Regards,
Michael Avenatti '

Holy shit. If Avenatti actually has that kind of evidence, oh boy this really escalated. This is Chernobyl levels of dirt.

Then again I feel like Avenatti has been claiming to have all kinds of evidence against Trump for ages but most of his claims seem to just be bait for Trump and co's legal team.

If he has such evidence why sit on it?

#7556 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 September 2018 - 01:01 PM

View PostCause, on 24 September 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

View PostAlternative Goose, on 24 September 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

Regards,
Michael Avenatti '

If he has such evidence why sit on it?

Do you imagine that something like this, of the scope he's speaking of, is a thing he should just release willy nilly? That's not how this kind of thing works. Especially not when lawyers are involved. They need to cross every T and dot every I first. This is why Mueller's investigation is taking so long. Everything needs to be in place first to make it as iron clad as it can be. If you release such things without the effort and work, you've already lost. If the guy has it, he's taking his time because he needs to take his time to make any of it work or stick.

The only reason we know this much is because Avenatti is a bit of a showboater.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 September 2018 - 01:02 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7557 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 24 September 2018 - 01:16 PM

A bit? The guy is the showboatiest TV lawyer I ever did see.

#7558 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 September 2018 - 01:18 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 24 September 2018 - 01:16 PM, said:

A bit? The guy is the showboatiest TV lawyer I ever did see.

You can't have met many lawyers.

#7559 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 24 September 2018 - 03:21 PM

I have. He's just as arrogant and egotistical as Donald Trump. Match made in heaven.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7560 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 September 2018 - 03:35 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 24 September 2018 - 03:21 PM, said:

I have. He's just as arrogant and egotistical as Donald Trump. Match made in heaven.

Not disputing that.

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

67 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 67 guests, 0 anonymous users