• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#7361 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 September 2018 - 05:42 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 06 September 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

'Under Senate rules, Booker is not permitted to release the documents, which are marked "committee confidential," to the full chamber or the public. They received that designation from William Burck, a Republican attorney who previously worked for Kavanaugh and now represents current White House Counsel Don McGahn. Because Republicans rushed these hearings before the National Archives could complete its review, Burck has been tasked with choosing which documents from Kavanaugh's White House tenure may be disclosed. But Booker flouted Burck's restrictions on Thursday, with the support of his Democratic colleagues, daring Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley, a Republican, to "expel him."'

https://slate.com/ne...ettled-law.html

I could be wrong but didn't Booker essentially say to Grassley "Bring it" when Grassley threatened him?

That's....kind of badass.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7362 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:09 PM

They'd need a 2/3 majority to expel him from the Senate, so it's not likely to happen. Also: 'Other Democrats quickly jumped to Booker's defense, pledging to join him in releasing confidential documents. [...]

Hirono's office released an email Kavanaugh wrote in 2002 in which he says government programs intended for native Hawaiians "as a group is subject to scrutiny and of questionable validity under the Constitution."'

https://www.thedaily...uments?ref=home

#7363 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:30 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 06 September 2018 - 03:14 PM, said:

These stories are why I enjoy this whole mess so much. Don't get me wrong, it's terrible, people's lives are being destroyed, it could all end up in a nuclear vinter but maaaaaan...

Never knew Apt was one of those 'Ws are actually Vs'-style Europeans. This changes everything.
The Booker thing is a little surprising but definitely good. There's already been one email where BK (stands for Brett Kavanaugh now, sorry BK) pretty explicitly questions Roe v Wade as settled.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7364 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:18 PM

How is this relevant anyway - isn't he a dead cert for the seat either way? Or is there a chance to sway moderate Republicans to stop them voting for him? Or just nice to get it out there and confirm what everyone suspected about him in advance?

The exposé from the Administration insider is intriguing. But also whoever it is is an utter coward. To disagree with the President so much that you covertly undermine them when you could take evidence public but choose not to because you clearly prefer the GOP agenda. What a hypocrite.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#7365 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:22 PM

The Senate might as well be the House now. They don't deliberate. It is almost ALWAYS on party lines and guess who made it that way? I'll give you one guess. Just one. If you get it wrong you fail.

*Gorsuch ahem*

Sorry. That part slipped out.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7366 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:25 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 06 September 2018 - 08:18 PM, said:

How is this relevant anyway - isn't he a dead cert for the seat either way? Or is there a chance to sway moderate Republicans to stop them voting for him? Or just nice to get it out there and confirm what everyone suspected about him in advance?

The exposé from the Administration insider is intriguing. But also whoever it is is an utter coward. To disagree with the President so much that you covertly undermine them when you could take evidence public but choose not to because you clearly prefer the GOP agenda. What a hypocrite.

Ignoring the first part because I don't want to get into minutiae.

I agree with part 2. Not that it is hypocritical, but cowardly to do so. Stand the fuck up and shout from the rooftops that you've had enough and you aren't going to take it anymore.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7367 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:38 PM

'According to one Trump friend, he fretted after Wednesday's op-ed that he could trust only his children.'

It would be hilarious if Ivanka were behind the anonymous op-ed. (Or maybe one of his sons... perhaps guided by Bannon, trying to regain influence?)

https://www.washingt...m=.c59952ccd49a

Online betting has the odds of it being Ivanka at 12 to 1. Granted, she'd effectively lose all power if Trump were removed. But if she knew the Bernstein book was coming out anyway....

https://nypost.com/2...house-official/

'"You're nothing but a fucking staffer!" Bannon screamed at Ivanka at a staff meeting, according to Woodward. "You walk around this place and act like you're in charge, and you're not. You're on staff!"

"I'm not a staffer!" she shouted back. "I'll never be a staffer. I'm the first daughter" — she really used the title, Woodward writes — "and I'm never going to be a staffer!"'
https://slate.com/ne...-a-staffer.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 September 2018 - 08:39 PM

#7368 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:42 PM

Bernstein book? You mean Woodward? I know they are tied together from the Watergate Papers. Wrong one.

It's not his kids. I guarantee. They'd go to jail in a heartbeat if daddy didn't protect them.

Edit: Good quick fix, lol.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 06 September 2018 - 08:44 PM

#7369 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:43 PM

The thing about that article is that Donald Trump is a Republican who advances mainstream Republican policy goals (including the white nationalism). They're fine with him being very stupid and nakedly corrupt (even in the old-fashioned do-crimes-for-money way), they just don't like his instability, which is why 100% of the concern is about managing him. There is no GOP opposition to Donald Trump, because they agree with him on everything.

#7370 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:46 PM

I refuse to believe that every Republican is as racist as Donald Trump. I know plenty who aren't. Maybe in California they are. They aren't here.

#7371 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:55 PM

Oh I'm talking about people in the House, Senate, and in the administration. Policymakers and lawmakers.

This post has been edited by worry: 06 September 2018 - 09:16 PM

#7372 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:17 PM

There's a chance of getting two Republicans to be No votes for Kavanagh.

There's also solid speculation that the anonymous NY Times op Ed author is Andrew Bremberg, who runs the Domestic Policy Council for the Trump administration.

Remember that Mark Felt was Deep Throat because he got passed over for a top job and wanted to pressure his way to something better.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7373 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:20 PM

The author of the op Ed is a complete turd though. Saving us from the worst still means you're helping to enact extremely bad policy and ruin this country. Either quit or own it. Don't do some bullshit savior narrative.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7374 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:56 PM

Now that you mention it though, HD, I do happen to live in the only district in CA where the general election will see two Republicans on the ballot. That's what voters here chose to do. One is Paul Cook, as traditional & mainstream a Republican as you can get, and whose 538 "Trump score" is 97.8% agreement -- and his opponent Tim Donnelly is running to the right of him. He happens to be the founder of the Minutemen Party -- that vigilante group of private citizens who patrol the southern border so they can take potshots at Mexicans.

Just a little fun trivia.

#7375 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:03 PM

Speculation it was Pence, due to the use of the word 'lodestar'. I guess Pence has used that word a lot in various speeches.

#7376 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 06 September 2018 - 10:10 PM

View Postworry, on 06 September 2018 - 09:56 PM, said:

Now that you mention it though, HD, I do happen to live in the only district in CA where the general election will see two Republicans on the ballot. That's what voters here chose to do. One is Paul Cook, as traditional & mainstream a Republican as you can get, and whose 538 "Trump score" is 97.8% agreement -- and his opponent Tim Donnelly is running to the right of him. He happens to be the founder of the Minutemen Party -- that vigilante group of private citizens who patrol the southern border so they can take potshots at Mexicans.

Just a little fun trivia.

Those bullshit "citizen brigrades" are as illegal as fuck. And they should all be thrown in jail every time they go out. Not shoot. Every fucking time they go out there. They are out there to commit fucking murder.

#7377 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:48 AM

Now she's just trolling you, QT:

#7378 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 September 2018 - 03:20 AM

View Postworry, on 06 September 2018 - 07:30 PM, said:

These stories are why I enjoy this whole mess so much. Don't get me wrong, it's terrible, people's lives are being destroyed, it could all end up in a nuclear vinter but maaaaaan...

Never knew Apt was one of those 'Ws are actually Vs'-style Europeans. This changes everything.

We don't use Ws for anything really in the Danish vocabulary except certain family names or anglezised words. Don't really use x, z or q much either. We do have some extra vovels though just to fuck with non- Scandinavians.

#7379 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:10 AM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 07 September 2018 - 03:20 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 06 September 2018 - 07:30 PM, said:

We don't use Ws for anything really in the Danish vocabulary except certain family names or anglezised words. Don't really use x, z or q much either. We do have some extra vovels though just to fuck with non- Scandinavians.

Sometimes you crazy Norse types used W in place of O though. Woden? Madness.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#7380 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:06 AM

What's the deal with this judge. He is republican and conservative. One of the major issues is abortion. However I also see that the vast majority of democrats (80%) and half of Republicans (49%) support abortion. That's means roughly 65 percent of Americans overall. Is this judge really going to overturn something that most Americans want. Why would he do that. Also the judiciary does not create law just interpret it? So shouldn't abortion be decided by the senate anyway?

Otherwise I keep hearing that his nomination will effect the Supreme Court for decades? Do they serve untill retirement? That seems a bizarre way to have it work.

What other rulings are people worried about?

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

88 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 88 guests, 0 anonymous users