• You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#6441 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:12 PM

D, on 13 February 2018 - 07:36 PM, said:

If that's the case why wouldn't he have just said "white heritage" ?

Because 1) you can't be too overt in being racist bc if you are, the liberals can definitively pin it on you and 2) connecting what he is talking about to the white Europeans (who ruled the brown and black people for centuries and got rich off them) is also important to him.

The "tradition" and connections are what he's trying to establish.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 13 February 2018 - 11:13 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6442 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:20 PM

amphibian, on 13 February 2018 - 11:12 PM, said:

Because 1) you can't be too overt in being racist bc if you are, the liberals can definitively pin it on you and 2) connecting what he is talking about to the white Europeans (who ruled the brown and black people for centuries and got rich off them) is also important to him.

I'm just saying, you guys seem to really flip between "Look how stupid he is saying this obviously racist thing right on TV!" right to "He'd never be so stupid as to say something obviously racist right on TV!" in, like... 5 minutes.

Either statement can be true, but it's bizarre how you'll post both of them back to back (and at the same time link an article that says neither).

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6443 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:55 PM

The dog whistling is obvious to those who listen to it (or care that it is occurring). The GOP has decided that they as a whole are going to try and get really really good at doing it because they profit that way.

I don't see why this is a contradiction at all.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6444 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:20 AM

D, on 13 February 2018 - 11:20 PM, said:

amphibian, on 13 February 2018 - 11:12 PM, said:

I'm just saying, you guys seem to really flip between "Look how stupid he is saying this obviously racist thing right on TV!" right to "He'd never be so stupid as to say something obviously racist right on TV!" in, like... 5 minutes.

Either statement can be true, but it's bizarre how you'll post both of them back to back (and at the same time link an article that says neither).

I'm under the impression you either don't know what a dog whistle is, or are being intentionally obtuse.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#6445 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:30 AM

I don't think it is either. Jeff Sessions has built a decades-long political career on wink-wink nudge-nudge white power dog-whistling. He's on a grander stage now, with more scrutiny, but sometimes the good ol' boy stuff slips through.

I think it's less bizarre to acknowledge that a true believer white supremacist who's casually racist in private and dog-whistle racist in public might occasionally fudge the Racism Algebra [(receptive crowd + law enforcement + entrenched racism - national stage)/cameras2], than to make the argument that this is the 1 out of 100 occasion where his fundamentally white supremacist world view didn't inform his invocation of the Anglo origins of certain policing power structures.

For the former, you'd have to acknowledge the truth of who Jeff Sessions has proven himself to be time and again and ignore nothing that I can think of. For the latter, you'd have to acknowledge the technical correctness of the citation and ignore Jeff Sessions' personal and professional history, as well as the administration's general stance on race, the reactionary gutting of the civil rights division of the DOJ, killing or shrinking federal police reform programs, the spotlight on police brutality (particularly racial disparities), Black Lives Matter, and every other context for an agenda that reassures sheriffs of their rightful place in the social hierarchy.

So again, I don't reject the possibility that Sessions decided to depart from his script simply to show off some trivia knowledge, I just reject its plausibility in the face of all above. It is by far the more bizarre take, imo.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6446 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:50 PM

How the hell has trumps approval ratings gone up?

#6447 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:54 PM

Cause, on 14 February 2018 - 01:50 PM, said:

How the hell has trumps approval ratings gone up?

Did you look at Rammason for polling. Don't do that. They suck monkey cocks.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#6448 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:17 PM

Rasmussen, I believe, Venge.

Actually, the economic indicators say he should be polling better. It just so happens he is so horribly unpopular for everything else that he is decidedly below those projections.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6449 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:46 PM

Don't Pele realise the economy s state has nothing to do with the current admin, and everything to do with a global recover and the previous admin?

#6450 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:33 PM

Well, most Americans don't know who Pele is because we like the wrong football.

But, it's one of those things where they'll take credit where they can get it, even if it is undue credit. Not like Trump has anything else to brag about.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6451 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:30 PM

Pele was an autocorrect of people somehow

#6452 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:47 PM

Mueller just dropped some bombshells about Russia.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 16 February 2018 - 06:58 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6453 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 February 2018 - 06:58 PM

Also, smart move outing the Russian links to the election on their own first...REALLY smart as this makes it that much harder for Trump or anyone else to now kill the "witch hunt" as it's clearly now a national security issue. Trump would basically show that he was protecting Russia if he did that...

My gods...this Mueller guy is NO joke you guys. Amazing.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6454 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:05 PM

QuickTidal, on 16 February 2018 - 06:58 PM, said:

Also, smart move outing the Russian links to the election on their own first...REALLY smart as this makes it that much harder for Trump or anyone else to now kill the "witch hunt" as it's clearly now a national security issue. Trump would basically show that he was protecting Russia if he did that...

Mueller was the head of the FBI for 2 Presidents I believe. He took down Gotti and prosecuted Noriega, and ran the lockerbei investigation. Motherfucker was certainly not someone to fuck with. He probably knows more dirt on people then the Russians.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#6455 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 February 2018 - 07:20 PM

Vengeance, on 16 February 2018 - 07:05 PM, said:

QuickTidal, on 16 February 2018 - 06:58 PM, said:

Mueller was the head of the FBI for 2 Presidents I believe. He took down Gotti and prosecuted Noriega, and ran the lockerbei investigation. Motherfucker was certainly not someone to fuck with. He probably knows more dirt on people then the Russians.

Yeah, apparently they got a guilty plea deal out to Rick Gates today as well. This is just getting started.

I think Mueller just got this out there to forstall any more talk of getting rid of the investigation.

He's like a honey badger. It's pretty awesome to watch.

#6456 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:41 PM

How does the White House release the GOP memo citing "the people have a right to know!"....and then try to prevent the democratic rebuttal from being released citing "national security"...and that shit doesn't look SHADY AS FUCK?!

I honestly don't get it.

I know it was released by congress...but goddamn he doesn't give a shit if he looks shady does he? He REALLY thinks he will get away with anything he wants. It's disgusting.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 February 2018 - 06:51 PM

#6457 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:39 PM

Because his people support him no matter what, so he can get away with it.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6458 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:54 PM

This is what you get when you show a little integrity:

The GOP is Trump and Trump is the GOP.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6459 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:16 PM

Solid article on lefts sudden obsession with Russia.

http://www.greanvill...o-end-all-wars/

Solid.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#6460 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:48 PM

Nicodimas, on 25 February 2018 - 09:16 PM, said:

Solid article on lefts sudden obsession with Russia.

http://www.greanvill...o-end-all-wars/

Solid.

Not sure if trolling or... `

You realize this is a fluff piece praising Putin, right? Is this a right wing version of the Onion?

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users