• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:17 PM

View PostJPK, on 10 January 2018 - 10:08 PM, said:

View PostH. D., on 10 January 2018 - 09:36 PM, said:

View PostD, on 10 January 2018 - 09:30 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 10 January 2018 - 08:46 PM, said:

I find it deeply problematic that some of you guys assume BK has particular 'ownership' of the word 'redneck', that he has special insight into when and how other people say it, just cuz he's from the South. Very patronizing and perhaps even bigoted. Frankly, you should all be ashamed.

Yeah you're right. I shouldn't assume that my neighbours have some sort of "ownership" or "special insight" into the word "ch**k" and how other people say it, just because they're from Vietnam. I should keep on using it despite their protests until a *qualified* person tells me to stop. /s :)

You are using words with no comparison to extreme racial prejudice and can't tell the difference?

The thing that you're not seeing here H.D. is that there is a racial prejudice involved with "Redneck" as well. Seriously, go google the word and look at what comes up for images. Every one of them features a dirty white person in ragged clothing with fucked up hair and teeth. No, it doesn't have the same tragic history as several of the other words that have come up throughout this conversation, but it's difficult to deny that it exists. But go ahead, keep insisting that this racism isn't as important as other racism, keep ignoring it, and nursing that impression that their issues don't matter because I'm pretty sure we've seen how it turns out when someone comes along and manipulates the "despicables" into thinking they've got their best interests at mind.

I don't need to google this. I live this. Have you read a damn thing I've said? I've called MYSELF a redneck a ton of times in my life. No one I grew up with would argue we weren't rednecks. Am I racist for profiling myself as being what you just typed above?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6322 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:20 PM

Fuck this noise. You all have no god damned idea what you are talking about. You are attacking me for being me, but feel no god damned qualms about anything else, because OH NO, I used a fucking everyday word.

Account gone.

See you all later.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6323 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:32 PM

I don't care who or what you are. I don't care about the magnitude of offensiveness of one word versus the magnitude of another. I just want y'all to be polite on this forum.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6324 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:36 PM

Someone bring brood back so he can see how a rage quit should really be done

#6325 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:45 PM

If you want a more serious post, here's my view, take it or leave it:

When I see that racial comparison I'm not gonna take any of the post seriously. HD was right to reject the second part of BK's post comparing it to the n-word. They're not comparable. 'Redneck' can be used as a derogative obviously but it's not a racist slur, nowhere near a racist slur, in impact or historical context, and drawing that distinction is key to being taken seriously. Period. I'm personally not in love with the word, or hillbilly, or especially "trash" and I think they have classist overtones when used in certain ways. But people who want to have fun at their own expense, or their own culture's expense -- like renowned, multimillionaire, professional 'redneck' Jeff Foxworthy -- should certainly feel free to, just as BK is free to reject the word.

In that light, HD literally said he has 'redneck' roots in this thread, and BK clearly doesn't associate himself with the term at all -- and yet HD gets called out on being an urbanite, in contrast to BK I suppose. (Keep in mind, HD wasn't talking about or even to BK when he said it -- BK just has an extreme distaste for it when he sees it). HD is from Indiana. That's wholesome midwest American flyover country. He calls himself a Hoosier in his own screen name. How is he an effete hoity toity urbanite compared to BK? BK is a smart guy, he went to college too, lives in a nice suburb. But he's from the South, so he automatically gets to own it more than HD? He gets to forbid HD from saying it? If you're aligning BK with 'rednecks' more than you do HD, that's your issue, not either of theirs.

I'm not saying BK can't or shouldn't be offended by it, cuz that's a personal thing -- or that HD or anyone else shouldn't choose not to use it if he wants to be considerate of BK -- and I'm also not saying HD's more abrasive elements of that second post pass the stricter Discussion Forum rules -- but it's ridiculous to class the term 'redneck' generally with racist slurs, if you wouldn't do the same for, say, 'hoser'. That's the level it's at, and HD doesn't deserve to be raked over the coals for transgressing someone's personal pet peeve (especially when it was never a personal attack -- even when he got mad). Everyone here has pet peeves, and it's perfectly nice to be considerate of them if we know of them -- and of course there are the forum rules to consider -- but that's not the same as a one-on-one "I get to tell another boarder what they can and can't say" situation.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6326 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:59 PM

1. Mac, thanks for the laugh. Rage quit indeed.

2. Worry, don't worry about it. They don't care.

3. I've asked Silencer to delete my account.

I'll be on Reddit's Malazan page. Thanks for all the fun kiddos. I appreciate it and the fun we've had over the years. See you later!

Ciao.

Edit: D'rek, I wasn't mean after you negged and called me out.

This post has been edited by H. D.: 10 January 2018 - 11:00 PM

#6327 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:02 AM

Redneck is quite clearly a classist thing. You can generally guess the politics of the same group of people you would call 'redneck', but some of their politics may surprise you. Redneck has no race, as it's used to describe a group of people from, and probably still in, a specific set of socio-economic circumstances.

Anyone who thinks Redneck is a racist statement is full of 'I must be a victim somewhere!!!11!one' mentality. Or don't know what they are talking about. Whichever.

Protip: If being told you're poor and spend a lot of time outside is the worst insult anyone's ever said to you, you're doing pretty fucking good.

Protip the second: You'll never find sites like this using the 'N' word or D'reks casual use of a racial derogatory above - https://www.redneckrevolt.org/

The simple facts are, BK doesn't own the meaning of the word Redneck. Nor have I seen anyone in this thread call another by that word. Discussing the actual connotations of that word, after a person claimed they were as bad a word as there can be, is justified. BK has every right to find it offensive and ask for it to not be used, but HD has every goddamn right to find BK's perceived meaning laughable, and discuss it.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#6328 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 11 January 2018 - 01:53 AM

Why not. My 2 cents after living in Texas for years. My friends would laughingly call themselves rednecks and called me a yankee. It also got used as a sneer when someone was being a racist or to depict people that cooked meth in a bathtub. So it was used both ways among my Texas peeps. It was situational, and depended on the connotation of where it was used.

I certainly wouldn’t mean to offend, so I would avoid it if asked. No one had mentioned it to me before so I never really thought about it.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#6329 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:07 AM

View PostObdigore, on 11 January 2018 - 01:02 AM, said:

Redneck is quite clearly a classist thing. You can generally guess the politics of the same group of people you would call 'redneck', but some of their politics may surprise you. Redneck has no race, as it's used to describe a group of people from, and probably still in, a specific set of socio-economic circumstances.

Anyone who thinks Redneck is a racist statement is full of 'I must be a victim somewhere!!!11!one' mentality. Or don't know what they are talking about. Whichever.

Protip: If being told you're poor and spend a lot of time outside is the worst insult anyone's ever said to you, you're doing pretty fucking good.

Protip the second: You'll never find sites like this using the 'N' word or D'reks casual use of a racial derogatory above - https://www.redneckrevolt.org/

The simple facts are, BK doesn't own the meaning of the word Redneck. Nor have I seen anyone in this thread call another by that word. Discussing the actual connotations of that word, after a person claimed they were as bad a word as there can be, is justified. BK has every right to find it offensive and ask for it to not be used, but HD has every goddamn right to find BK's perceived meaning laughable, and discuss it.

I agree with everything obidigore states here.

I’d furtheragain point out how people talk on forums, wouldn’t fly in the real world. You go to the bar and call some random stranger a word that’s slighted and that would cause a fight. Overall, everyone should challenge themselves why a word bothers them and learn to deal with that. There are far worse things happening today in the world then this...than this nonsense.

Good news though on the flip side of all this .. Sheriff Joe will be running for Senate. Should be a shoe in here is Arizona. He will be pressing the issue of Obama’s birth certificate:

https://www.google.c...tificates%3famp
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#6330 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:38 AM

View PostH. D., on 10 January 2018 - 10:59 PM, said:

1. Mac, thanks for the laugh. Rage quit indeed.

2. Worry, don't worry about it. They don't care.

3. I've asked Silencer to delete my account.

I'll be on Reddit's Malazan page. Thanks for all the fun kiddos. I appreciate it and the fun we've had over the years. See you later!

Ciao.

Edit: D'rek, I wasn't mean after you negged and called me out.

Come on, man.

You've been a member for what? Over a decade now? You want to quit over an argument? It's the discussion board. We argue politics, religion, culture, gender, war, race, etc. It's what we do. You're a part of the community, you should know there is seldom any bad blood when we disagree. To quit over this is preposterous.

I've seen you change these past years, you've become more aggressive and opinionated in your politics but I've never known you to shy away from the discussion. When we confront you on something, argue your point. Explain why we're wrong. Don't just run away. Have fun with it.

Nothing should be so serious on the forums that you get mad and throw in the towel.

If you do delete your account I hope you come back.

I sent this to you as a PM. Reply there if you don't want to in the Discussion Board.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 11 January 2018 - 04:41 AM

#6331 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

I find it deeply problematic that some of you guys assume BK has particular 'ownership' of the word 'redneck', that he has special insight into when and how other people say it, just cuz he's from the South. Very patronizing and perhaps even bigoted. Frankly, you should all be ashamed.

Yeah you're right. I shouldn't assume that my neighbours have some sort of "ownership" or "special insight" into the word "chink" and how other people say it, just because they're from Vietnam. I should keep on using it despite their protests until a *qualified* person tells me to stop. /s :)

D'rek, you're not actually Clint in Gran Torino, right?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#6332 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:48 AM

View PostNicodimas, on 11 January 2018 - 04:07 AM, said:

I'd furtheragain point out how people talk on forums, wouldn't fly in the real world. You go to the bar and call some random stranger a word that's slighted and that would cause a fight. Overall, everyone should challenge themselves why a word bothers them and learn to deal with that. There are far worse things happening today in the world then this...than this nonsense.

Good news though on the flip side of all this .. Sheriff Joe will be running for Senate. Should be a shoe in here is Arizona. He will be pressing the issue of Obama's birth certificate:

(emphasis mine)

You can't possibly be thinking that's a good thing?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#6333 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

How about they pass a law says my anyone running for office has to have their tax records and background open to scrutiny to.make sure they are fit for office.

#6334 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

Only a psycho a) actually thinks Sheriff Joe being in office is good news and :) that the Obama birth certificate thing is OK to keep going on about, despite it being revealed as a massively racist myth a number of years ago.

Niko I know you like being the "alternative" voice or whatever in the DB and you say some dumb stuff, usually (AFAIK) to get a reaction, but seriously. I'm worried about you.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6335 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:26 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 11 January 2018 - 08:14 AM, said:

Yeah you're right. I shouldn't assume that my neighbours have some sort of "ownership" or "special insight" into the word "chink" and how other people say it, just because they're from Vietnam. I should keep on using it despite their protests until a *qualified* person tells me to stop. /s :)

D'rek, you're not actually Clint in Gran Torino, right?

[insert 'nam flashbacks]

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6336 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 11 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

View PostNicodimas, on 11 January 2018 - 04:07 AM, said:

I’d furtheragain point out how people talk on forums, wouldn’t fly in the real world. You go to the bar and call some random stranger a word that’s slighted and that would cause a fight. Overall, everyone should challenge themselves why a word bothers them and learn to deal with that. There are far worse things happening today in the world then this...than this nonsense.

Good news though on the flip side of all this .. Sheriff Joe will be running for Senate. Should be a shoe in here is Arizona. He will be pressing the issue of Obama’s birth certificate:

I hate to rain on your parade but didn't he just lose an election in the most conservative county in Arizona. So yeah good luck with him being able to win an election where the entire state votes.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#6337 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:05 PM

Arpaio purposely murders inmates of his jails through subjecting them to intolerable conditions. His jails have been described as concentration camps.

All of this is readily found online and in newspapers across the country.

He is murderous scum and should never hold a job in this country, much less be a senator.

But hey, McCain is in there, so there's already a guy nearly as bad.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6338 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:24 PM

I thiiiiiiiiiink Nico is trolling. The birth certificate thing is the clue. He just likes it when Arizona makes national news.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6339 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 January 2018 - 03:25 AM

Oh boy, the butt Trump-it steps in in yet again. This time referring to Haiti and countries in Africa as "shithole countries." And then going on to say we should bring in more people from countries such as Norway.

This is the president of the United States. Say it out loud so that sinks in.

#6340 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:25 AM

Anyone who migrates from Norway to the USA is insane. Unless it's for a squillion dollar job in a decent area. Or they're allergic to snow.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

93 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 93 guests, 0 anonymous users