• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#6281 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:29 PM

Really?

And I'm not trying to be a shit stirrer, but are you really equating redneck with n****r, and all the slavery and degradation connotations the N word carries? Really?

This post has been edited by Silencer: 13 January 2018 - 02:46 PM
Reason for edit: Edited for common decency

#6282 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:35 PM

Just because on thing is very bad to one segment of the population does not mean that another thing can not be equal or somewhat similarly bad to another. There is a penchants for some people, especially from the Northern United States, to look down upon people from the south and people from certain demographics. While I won't equate it with black oppression, it certain smacks of the sort of bigotry and small mindedness that Southern citizens are accused of.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 09 January 2018 - 08:38 PM

#6283 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:54 PM

View PostBriar King, on 09 January 2018 - 08:16 PM, said:

Can ya stop using the word redneck? This is the same thing as saying n****r...

While I wouldn't put a sunburnt neck in the same category as a term used for an entire race that has been subjected to slavery and discrimination for hundreds of years. I will agree that the refrain of a sunburnt neck is usually used in an insulting manor and for the sake of the discussion board should be refrained from being used.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#6284 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:59 PM

[discreetly stuffing all my Jeff Foxworthy books and DVDs under the mattress] Yes, I agree... it's uh wrong to say it.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6285 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:03 PM

View Postworry, on 09 January 2018 - 08:59 PM, said:

[discreetly stuffing all my Jeff Foxworthy books and DVDs under the mattress] Yes, I agree... it's uh wrong to say it.

It is still ok to say that someone is a despicable sister marring, daughter loving r****d. After all nobody has proven that Trump doesn't and hasn't done that. But I did hear people talking about it. :)

This post has been edited by Silencer: 13 January 2018 - 03:32 PM
Reason for edit: Edited for common decency

#6286 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:13 PM

Dang, you just said the actual 'r' word that I would find legit offensive, but now I can't mention it without sounding like a hypocrite.

#6287 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:22 PM

BK, I grew up with REDNECKS. I have REDNECK tendencies. Your false equivalency is awful and insulting.

I'll use it as it is viable. Would you prefer hillbillies? Racists? Assholes? Dumbfucks? Ignoramuses?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6288 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:26 PM

View Postworry, on 09 January 2018 - 09:13 PM, said:

Dang, you just said the actual 'r' word that I would find legit offensive, but now I can't mention it without sounding like a hypocrite.

My wife also finds it offensive and I am not suppose to use it around the kids. Moron is still legit though.

#6289 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:32 PM

View PostH. D., on 09 January 2018 - 09:22 PM, said:

BK, I grew up with REDNECKS. I have REDNECK tendencies. Your false equivalency is awful and insulting.

I'll use it as it is viable. Would you prefer hillbillies? Racists? Assholes? Dumbfucks? Ignoramuses?

Personally I grew up with loggers who also grew pot. The ones who married their sister's were from Sweet Home and the ones who were inbred were from Scio. I am old it could have been reversed. But I regress you didn't want to move to either Sweet Home or Scio that is the moral of the story. City Folk was a deragatory term that was often used about people who had no business being in the country and who needed to get the fuck out. My folks had a friend who decided to move further up a mountain when , I shit you not, 9 cars that he didn't know drove by in a week. To many Californian's moving up here ruining the view. Was never referred to as a sunburnt type of fellow. Mainly because the sun only came out for 3 weeks a year.

#6290 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:39 PM

How did this thread suddenly turn into a Four Yorkshiremen sketch?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6291 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 10 January 2018 - 12:33 AM

I come from a family of hillbillies ...

Knowledge drop:

https://www.vice.com...a-hillbilly-ang
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#6292 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:30 AM

Backwards thinking, conservative believing it is still 1950 assholes it is! Don't want to hurt the fee-fees! I'll now refer to Nazis as "People who hate Jews and minorities and really want to murder them all," to ensure I don't hurt their feelings either.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6293 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:05 AM

Ah, the ol'd "I grew up with chinese people so it's okay if *I* call people 'ch***s' and you shouldn't be offended when I say it", and similar arguments.

How about we simply don't use a word that offends someone we're talking to... because it's nice not to offend people, especially when talking right to them? Is there something wrong with being polite?

This post has been edited by Silencer: 13 January 2018 - 03:33 PM
Reason for edit: Edited for common decency.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6294 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:49 AM

#6295 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:26 AM

You can call off the search for the President's pants:

http://www.news.com....0e77742ec4b7ef3
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#6296 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:21 AM

A California federal judge just ordered the government to start processing DACA renewals again. No brand new enrollees and no Advance Parole, but still...good news!

That said, I have no idea how the Pres and DOJ will react to it. DJT has been nuts on DACA this week...wall wall wall all week and then today said he'd sign a bill no strings attached, essentially lobbing it off on Congress. I don't know how his base is reacting to that. I do know Congress has plenty of racists who agree with Trump's base, but that to at least some degree DACA is a potentially bipartisan issue.

This post has been edited by worry: 10 January 2018 - 05:22 AM

#6297 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:10 AM

View PostH. D., on 10 January 2018 - 01:30 AM, said:

Backwards thinking, conservative believing it is still 1950 assholes it is! Don't want to hurt the fee-fees! I'll now refer to Nazis as "People who hate Jews and minorities and really want to murder them all," to ensure I don't hurt their feelings either.

You really can't see that you're aping the exact rhetoric that we ridicule trump followers for now? Do you want to call BK a snowflake as well and maybe write a mean tweet now? Have you remembered to check you urban educated highfalutin privileges today?

#6298 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:08 AM

If BK doesn't like the term redneck I don't think it is such a terrible thing to show him a little bit of courtesy and refrain from using the word.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#6299 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:49 AM

Well one term is from slavery and is about systematically oppressing an entire group of people because of their skin colour and one term refers to a group of people who, if they had their way, would reintroduce slavery and continue systematically oppressing an entire group of people because of their skin colour, so no it's not equivalent.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6300 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:14 AM

Well, tiste, what about the jews? Aren't they all just greedy, manipulative inhumans who hunger for the blood of infants? I mean, that's at least what I've heard.

The problem with using a label like for example redneck, is that you're applying a host of assumptions about these people. Redneck is used by different people about different people. Often unfairly or in a way that characterizes ordinary poor and working class people as lesser citizens. Which of course makes it easier to dismiss their views.

To claim that all rednecks, which quickly becomes a catch all for disagreeable southerners, are racist and approve of slavery sounds a lot like racism and bigotry to me.

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

100 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 100 guests, 0 anonymous users