• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#6241 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:30 PM

Bannon said himself that he would not testify. So unless they make him, we wont see him in the stand.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6242 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:37 PM

I'd put that book at 20% truth, 50% misinformation, and 30% straight lies. Because it is still Bannon.

But that's enough to go along with.

I wish I could see the reaction of every person who voted for him invisibly and see their reactions. A lot are straight racists, which, ok. They're awful. A lot are dumbass rednecks who were promised the world and have received...? A tax cut that hurts them? "But them damned "coloreds" aren't coming in no more!"

That last line is from experience in being in redneck land.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6243 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

I'm surprised. Seems like little fallout from this book so far. Though I think the time of year is playing a part. Though having read more, it seems to offer no real evidence. Its just shocking in the sense that an ally had broken ranks and attacjed trump.

#6244 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:01 PM

The book is likely to be quite accurate. Trump and his lawyers are trying to get it shut down. The publishers have responded by moving the date forward. Might buy it. Don't think any money goes to Bannon, he didn't have anything to do with the writing of it as far as I can see. I think he is publicly distancing himself because he knows what's going down and doesn't want to be dragged in any further.

Edit: https://twitter.com/...023670344847360

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 04 January 2018 - 10:07 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#6245 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:13 PM

IIRC, it starts with a forward stating many of these are "re-created events". I still stand by my percentages; none of these people are trustworthy sources. They all have their own biases and reasons to mislead. Doesn't mean some isn't true or the main gist isn't true; but it isn't dogma.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6246 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:26 PM

I don't really know Michael Wolff's work, but from a quick check I don't have any reason to believe he's a Kitty Kelley "unauthorized biography!" type of writer. That said, I'm with HD on the caution...these aren't just your usual Washington hangers-on, these are the worst of the worst of the worst. If you drained the swamp only to find a portal to a cesspool universe, these would be its denizens. They're looking for reasons to stab each other's backs.

Nevertheless, I also wouldn't mind some juicy tidbits!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6247 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:03 AM

rump in an interview: "I don't talk to him [Steve Bannon], that's a misnomer".

Misnomer - an inaccurate name or description.

Talking to someone is not a name or description, Fanta Man.

And I see his response to KJU's 'nuclear button' was along the lines of 'lol mine's bigger git rekt'? Frightful times.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#6248 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:06 AM

It feels like this administration is trying to intentionally recreate episodes from "The West Wing" and do the opposite of what Leo/Josh did ...

This book thing reminds me of that time one of the 'West Wing' white house photographers had been fired and the guy wrote a 'tell all' book. Of course, the fictional Bartlet administration was smart enough to just ignore the book and let it disappear after its two hours of fame. No such sense from the moron though.

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#6249 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:01 PM

Same thing happened here in South Africa, journalist published a book exposing more of my Presidents corruption and tax evasion. Everyone from the President to the TAX department has denied its true but everyone under the son is also trying to have him charged with breaking the law by publishing confidential tax information. He cant be a liar and also have published real info at the same time. Sales of the book quadrupled.

#6250 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

The book seems like it could be quite plausible, at least in its reporting of what was said to Wolff (but no accounting that what was said to him was itself actually true). Apparently he got permission to just hang around the White House for a year.

Of the long excerpt that I read in the NY Times (I think it was there), the most plausible sounding was the thoughts of former deputy chief of staff Katie Walsh - but then that's because everyone else sounded like a caricature of a human being, which perhaps they all are in real life.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#6251 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

That Sarah Huckabee Sanders woman may very well be the worst woman I've ever had to listen to. She's 100% fucking AWFUL HUMAN. Every time she holds a press conference, I silently pray for a reporter to trip her right up...because she's a smug fucking douchenozzle all the time.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#6252 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:31 PM

QuickTidal, on 05 January 2018 - 01:44 PM, said:

That Sarah Huckabee Sanders woman may very well be the worst woman I've ever had to listen to. She's 100% fucking AWFUL HUMAN. Every time she holds a press conference, I silently pray for a reporter to trip her right up...because she's a smug fucking douchenozzle all the time.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but she actually makes me miss Sean Spicer a little. At least you could tell that Spicey wasn't enjoying being a posterchild for this shitshow of an administration.

#6253 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:38 PM

JPK, on 05 January 2018 - 07:31 PM, said:

QuickTidal, on 05 January 2018 - 01:44 PM, said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but she actually makes me miss Sean Spicer a little. At least you could tell that Spicey wasn't enjoying being a posterchild for this shitshow of an administration.

And he was great material for SNL.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#6254 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 January 2018 - 12:48 AM

This take on the Wolff book is pretty funny, and I can't help but agree with its conclusions: https://www.gq.com/s...se-trump-access

#6255 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:09 PM

So, segwaying into that wall Trump wants to build. A user on Reddit posted a curious comment the other day.

Instead of spending billions and billions on building, maintaining and manning a stupid wall across the bottom of the US, couldn't you make an invisible one for a fraction of the price? Build a drone air fleet/cheap satellite band that constantly monitors the border for movement, and just have personnel respond to invaders? That would still be ridiculously expensive in terms of deployment but probably a fraction of the cost of this penis enlargement project.

Hell, if you wanted to be inhuman, and you would if you were Trump, just arm the drones have them fire on unauthorised movement identifiable as human beings rapist terrorist criminals.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 07 January 2018 - 05:21 PM

#6256 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:13 PM

I think the term is 'bad hombres'

#6257 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:43 PM

Alternative Goose, on 07 January 2018 - 05:09 PM, said:

So, segwaying into that wall Trump wants to build. A user on Reddit posted a curious comment the other day.

Instead of spending billions and billions on building, maintaining and manning a stupid wall across the bottom of the US, couldn't you make an invisible one for a fraction of the price? Build a drone air fleet/cheap satellite band that constantly monitors the border for movement, and just have personnel respond to invaders? That would still be ridiculously expensive in terms of deployment but probably a fraction of the cost of this penis enlargement project.

Hell, if you wanted to be inhuman, and you would if you were Trump, just arm the drones have them fire on unauthorised movement identifiable as human beings rapist terrorist criminals.

Symbolic policy. A "wall" of drones, satellites and personnel isn't as visible, or "daunting" as an actual wall.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#6258 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:07 PM

Hmm. That is an exellent point. Megalomaniacs do like their big brutalist monuments.

#6259 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:22 PM

You better believe he wants to put his name on something.

#6260 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:33 PM

Alternative Goose, on 07 January 2018 - 05:09 PM, said:

So, build Skynet?

But seriously, the people who support this are the same worried about government coming to get their guns and other nonsense. That's just (((Deep State))).

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

110 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 110 guests, 0 anonymous users