• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#5681 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:33 PM

I'm now finding out the group primarily responsible for these statues going up, The Daughters of the Confederacy, also managed to get many states to name stretches of highways after Jefferson Davis. It was before the federal highways began to be built and was a direct response to some states naming their highways after Abraham Lincoln. This banal yet ever present statues and highways shit really was a premeditated effort by white women to be racist and to ensure that the "Lost Noble Cause" narrative survived in some form.

This is mind-boggling and I'm even more disillusioned with the American incomplete reckoning with systemic enslavement and impoverishment.

https://en.m.wikiped...the_Confederacy
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#5682 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

ETA: cross-post with Amph

Excellent.

Though I'm disturbed that the WaPo apparently missed two egregious grammatical errors in that article before posting. *sigh*

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#5683 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:52 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 August 2017 - 05:23 PM, said:

From a reddit megathread:

Bannon was sent on a mission to go and find a cure for his greyscale.

#5684 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:58 PM

Apparently the guy who ghostwrote The Art Of The Deal thinks Trump resigns this fall.

With all the rats escaping the ship...you gotta wonder.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5685 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:12 PM

We've probably been over it already in this thread, but what happens in the case a President quits? Is it the same as taking ill or dying? The Vice-Lizard King takes over?

I have a hard time believing Trump would be willing to swallow his pride and give up. Imagine the aftermath?

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 18 August 2017 - 06:15 PM

#5686 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:19 PM

If he did he would give someone to blame and tell the US that they don't deserve him or something similar.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#5687 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:21 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 18 August 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

We've probably been over it already in this thread, but what happens in the case a President quits? Is it the same as taking ill or dying? The Vice-Lizard King takes over?

I have a hard time believing Trump would be willing to swallow his pride and give up. Imagine the aftermath?

If Trump quits, Pence takes over (and if Pence goes down under Mueller's investigation) it's Paul Ryan....there is a chain of not-at-all great Republicans who take his place if he resigns or is impeached.

He might quit to try to salvage his businesses. Hell, Trump Tower in Toronto was sold and no longer bears his name. His brand is SUPER tarnished now...so maybe he cuts his losses on a job he never wanted to begin with...and tries to save his businesses?

At any rate, when Mueller comes up with his results, you can bet Trump is possibly going to be deep in investigations of RICO anyways.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 18 August 2017 - 06:26 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5688 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:34 PM

If he quits I bet Trump burns down the White House and tries to claim the insurance.

#5689 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:23 PM

I have a hard time seeing Trump quit. His ego just won't allow it. If the very rare impeachment happened and was followed through to force his resignation, that worries me because I could see that really inflaming the alt-right wackadoodles.

I saw the news about Bannon. I bet that was a "deal" struck between Trump and chief of staff General Kelly. Trump got to pull his ego shout chamber routine about the Charlottesville incident in trade for Bannon to be fired. It wasn't a secret that Kelly wanted Bannon out.

#5690 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:27 PM

I think Trump stays in power as long as possible to keep ahold of pardons and the protections of the Presidency. Pence and Ryan would be even worse presidents for their greater effectiveness in pursuing essentially the same agenda minus the bluster.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#5691 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:00 PM

Yah it's a huge risk. If Trump goes, centrist libs are gonna welcome the return to "business as usual" and "normalcy" and especially "CIVILITY" so hard that the Pence/Ryan agenda will be a relative cakewalk. I would love to see the left sustain its momentum, and I think there's a good chance of that, but I'm more worried about centrist Dems peeling off for "bipartisanship" reasons or whatever garbage they tout more than I am the various alt-right racists going buck wild.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5692 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:10 AM

Desus & Mero expose this pos for the frightened coward he is.

Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants.

#5693 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:04 AM

http://www.independe...s-a7899206.html

My god! He is in a race to the bottom. He cannot help himself.

#5694 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:54 AM

The governator for presinator

#5695 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:10 AM

View PostMacros, on 20 August 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

I'd hope we'd learned from Trump that a president needs to do more than just say the things that you like to hear.

#5696 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:05 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 20 August 2017 - 10:10 AM, said:

View PostMacros, on 20 August 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

I'd hope we'd learned from Trump that a president needs to do more than just say the things that you like to hear.

The difference is that Arnold has been in government and understands how it works.

Sadly, he was not born here, so he can't be President afaik.

-----------------------------------------------------------

It's nice to see that the Charlottesville tragedy has basically activated the anti-raicsts in every city where nazi's were looking to march...and in some places being so utterly and completely outnumbered by anti-racists....it's a decent microcosm of the fact that these nazi fuckers are in the minority, and placed like Boston proved that.

#5697 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:43 PM

I don't know if this CNN anchor is trolling Trump or if she is being earnest, but she pauses to take a drink of water when going through a list of the last four weeks of Trump's presidency.

#5698 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:11 PM

As someone from California, let me assure everyone that Arnold Schwarzenegger -- who I like and admire in many ways, and who obviously isn't anywhere near "as bad as Trump" -- does not understand government, was not a good governor by any stretch, and it's not a shame he can't be president. And if you're gonna vote for someone who's a left-leaning centrist on social issues but is otherwise a pro-big business conservative, you might as well vote for a Democrat!

I do agree that it's nice to see people come out to oppose the racists and fascists, and the numbers are impressive when you see see them (search for videos of the Boston rally especially -- cute gazebo!).

That said Alex Pereene wrote one of the scariest focused-on-elections takes of what this all means for the future based on the people who make up the likely next generation of Republican activists and politicians: http://splinternews....repu-1797988745

"This is the state of the GOP leadership pipeline. In a decade, state legislatures will start filling up with Gamergaters, MRAs, /pol/ posters, Anime Nazis, and Proud Boys. These are, as of now, the only people in their age cohort becoming more active in Republican politics in the Trump era. Everyone else is fleeing. This will be the legacy of Trumpism: It won’t be long before voters who reflexively check the box labeled “Republican” because their parents did, or because they think their property taxes are too high, or because Fox made them scared of terrorism, start electing Pepe racists to Congress."

Essentially, the thesis is: the number of young people who want to be involved with Republican politics is shrinking, and that means the people who stick around are going to be the extremists. But since people in general vote either R or D reflexively, even traditionally, a lot of regular R voters are going to be voting in post-Trump creeps -- in local, state, and even national elections.

Now this has already started, to some degree -- I mean Trump is a symptom, not the disease -- but they will more and more have an outsized influence compared to their numbers, unless something really drastic happens with our political parties.

#5699 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:15 PM

Lets be square...I never said Arnold new enough about politics...I just said he knew them...which is more than Trump...which I admit ain't hard. That changes nothing. Arnold served as govenor...it is what it is. He's got a grasp. You don't have to like what he did as governor though.

#5700 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:09 AM

Yeah, I hear you. I guess my point -- and it's not aimed at you in particular, though Arnold is a good example of the phenomenon -- is that it's depressing that things are so bad that awful hypotheticals are still better than the real thing. It's depressing to hear people ponder, "Wow, if only Arnold Schwarzenegger was president instead of who we got" -- know what I mean?

And I also think people shouldn't aim low. "David Frum (the author of the Axis of Evil speech) and Mitt Romney (billionaire hedge fund manager who specialized in hostile takeovers and leveraged buyouts) have written criticism of DJT. Welcome to the Resistance, gentlemen! Thank you for your commitment to civil discourse." George W. Bush and Dick Cheney knew more about government than DJT. Thus they were able to murder hundreds of thousands of people abroad and significantly and materially harm millions of people at home, w/ the consent of almost every viper in the GOP and no few Democrats.

Don't just argue for something better, argue for something worthwhile. (Again, not aimed at you in particular -- for instance, a friend of mine posted some letter from Romney today saying "whether he intended to or not" Trump emboldened haters, and he should apologize. For what? Who cares if he apologizes? Who doubts that he meant what he said? Trump is a racist mob-lite conman. His words mean nothing. In the line to the guillotine, Romney is so many spots ahead of Trump that they wouldn't be able to see each other. I don't want his contribution to the "resistance").

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

93 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 93 guests, 0 anonymous users