• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#5721 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:12 PM

The reason Stern asked him those questions is because he knew it was an inroad to something gross and salacious. It's not a matter of Stern doing his shtick, and DJT playing along; it's a matter of Stern knowing his guest. I don't really like shock jocks at all, but there's a reason Stern is (by far) the top of the heap: he knows what he's doing.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5722 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:13 PM

I'm not picking at you, sorry if it seems that way, just felt like you were defending his totally inappropriate remarks about his daughter, and i was baffled by it as afaik you have a little girl.

the rest was just my continued disbelief about Trump actually being in power and frustration with politics in general

#5723 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:03 PM

I see where you're coming from on the cultural relevance and joking angles.
Ive never listened to sterns show so I know nothing about it, but the whole thing struck me as massively inappropriate and down right weird.
eh

#5724 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:05 PM

View PostDown South, on 22 August 2017 - 08:58 PM, said:

In short would I do it? No.I was just pointing out that specific incident and wondering how anyone can expect anything else considering what it was on.

However I acknowledge and I actually hate doing so considering how much I hate labeling and sterotyping but I can look at that whole thing with regional shades on compared to probably everyone else on here. Im so used to hearing things like this that it wont be as much of a shock factor to me I think. We southerns make fun of ourselves on the issue of incest often enough with such things like Foxworthy's stupid "You might be a Redneck if you go to a family reunion to pick up chicks." or the many many many things in True Blood "Tell Uncle Daddy Carl whats the matter baby." lol. Maybe none of that will make sense idk.

The difference between those is that the context for the Foxworthy style jokes is pretty clearly "jokes about imagined characters based on some dark stuff in the actual history of the region" and the Trump/Stern stuff is "creepy comments/bad jokes that sexualize his own daughter". There's a difference there, even if Stern is known for getting people to talk about stuff they normally wouldn't talk about on a radio show.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#5725 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:15 PM

Also the Stern stuff is just the half of it.
https://www.independ...p-a7353876.html
(sorry, page has auto-loading video, to go w/ the article)

#5726 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:27 AM

Off Prompter = Being truthful = Absolute racist and utter asshole.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 23 August 2017 - 02:28 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5727 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:34 AM

Jesus, what a cluster-fuck of a president dumb fucks elected. Grow up and recognize when you fucked up.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 23 August 2017 - 02:36 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5728 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:48 AM

This is not a bright man.

Also the FOX News feed of the speech is all down-pitched to hell, he sounds like Freddy Krueger.

Anyway, I guess the best news is he's not pardoning Joe Arpaio. So if Trump wants to campaign for the rest of his term, I guess that's fine. A self-obsessed doofus trying to crawl out of the muck of his bad and (what will surely be found to be) illegal behavior. A few more months of that is tolerable I guess.

#5729 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:57 AM

View PostDown South, on 23 August 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

I'm not calling you out HD but you should have left the original posts. I acknowledge and respect your opinion. There are plenty of dumb fucks who did and this Rally is most certainly targeted.

Hell my eyeballs are twitching.

It was a knee-jerk reaction with vulgarity that didn't add to discussion. And, I realize there are people who probably voted for what they thought were good reasons. It was an unfair generalization and harshly put.

This is still a very, very bad speech and paints the picture again every time he goes off prompter you see Trump as is.

#5730 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:03 AM

@ Worry: What do you mean they down-pitched the speech?

Also, what part of the video is important? Cause most of it is normal Trump shit.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#5731 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:13 AM

By down-pitched I mean the audio is distorted to sound way lower than is natural. It's more of a freaky curiosity than anything important. Nothing is really important about the video except that it's a live stream of the speech.

#5732 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:46 AM

... because Robert Lee the ESPN commentator is so easily confused with General Robert E Lee the Confederate ... ? :(

http://www.news.com....2bcf91c3d3ff54c

Note: I put this here instead of the Inn because of the currency (?) of the subject. Not trolling. I even googled "Robert Lee ESPN" and this stuff is the entire first 4 pages of results, so there goes my hope it was just someone not fact-checking a comedy article.

EDIT: makes me wonder if ESPN has any commentators named "Dick" on their roster and if they're feeling nervous now ... :(

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 23 August 2017 - 03:57 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#5733 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:00 AM

That's so ludicrous.

Also, my bad, DJT didn't say he wasn't pardoning Arpaio, just that he wasn't doing so tonight at the rally. Gotta spread out the overt glad-handing of white supremacists is the concern there, I take it.

#5734 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:08 AM

Best comment yet (among quite a few good ones):

RJP977 • 2 hours ago
ESPN: We regret that this is an issue even though we made it an issue.

@Worry
Is this Arpaio the old-school sheriff guy from ... Arizona? New Mexico? Saw a story about him a few years ago with his budget prison tents and chain-gangs.

EDIT:
ABC 24 just had that DJT speech on live here (which is VERY unusual), heard a few snippets. I wish I could revise history as it was being written, too.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 23 August 2017 - 04:12 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#5735 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:11 AM

Arizona and yes.

#5736 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:01 AM

Decentralization has been needed for ages! A two party system that divides us was our critical mistake. This adoption. The best thing we can do is divvy up the power more to the states and less into the fed. I have been arguing this for a decade probably... It's weird as some sort of irirational fears drives us from doing it. Would Ameica be weaker? Yes, but America ain't doing a bang up job in leading this world police thing--we really aren't looking so good lately in retrospective. I love America, it's people and constitution, we can be better!

Purge the debt, take a seat back and let the other people grow in influence in the UN.

Trump in his speeches is showing actively why centralized power is totally dangerous. Him stating these statements in the manner he did drives half away, but the other half to latch on as they will ultimately find something they agree with and that's the best their gonna get. Ideology the other "side" isn't the way they think so not going to agree with them.

We are intelligent resource people who are growing in the age of technology and a seemingly limitless knowledge as our fingertips. The notion of core centralized leader's should be abandoned.

http://thefreethough...d-be-abolished/
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#5737 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:31 AM

Yah, that's the same Arpaio. He was convicted of criminal contempt of court after disobeying a court order to stop using racist targeting of drivers.

Re: the Robert Lee/ESPN thing, here's an update that makes it sound more reasonable: https://twitter.com/...219648473522178

#5738 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

Sweet merciful crap this guy is a D-bag.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5739 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

The quotes are picked from a lengthy speech, I'm not defending trump here, but even with that being held at the forefront of my mind, this man just sounds like a moron every time he speaks. He's like a 12 year old kid bragging to the schoolyard that his dad could beat up everyone else's dad because he has the best dad who's rich and buys him the best toys.

Like seriously.

America really needs to break their current political structure

#5740 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

View PostNicodimas, on 23 August 2017 - 05:01 AM, said:

Decentralization has been needed for ages! A two party system that divides us was our critical mistake. This adoption. The best thing we can do is divvy up the power more to the states and less into the fed. I have been arguing this for a decade probably... It's weird as some sort of irirational fears drives us from doing it. Would Ameica be weaker? Yes, but America ain't doing a bang up job in leading this world police thing--we really aren't looking so good lately in retrospective. I love America, it's people and constitution, we can be better!

Purge the debt, take a seat back and let the other people grow in influence in the UN.

Trump in his speeches is showing actively why centralized power is totally dangerous. Him stating these statements in the manner he did drives half away, but the other half to latch on as they will ultimately find something they agree with and that's the best their gonna get. Ideology the other "side" isn't the way they think so not going to agree with them.

We are intelligent resource people who are growing in the age of technology and a seemingly limitless knowledge as our fingertips. The notion of core centralized leader's should be abandoned.

http://thefreethough...d-be-abolished/

Originally the founding fathers created a weak central government and strong states. That was called the The Articles of Confederation and they quickly realized that it failed to actually create a country. Thus they replaced it with the constitution. The framers of the Constitution had learned lessons, both good and bad, from the AOC: the need for a centralized and empowered national government, taxing as a source of income for the country, a checks and balances system, and the ability to create a document that could be amendable and changed as time necessitated it.

There was another time where a large group of American decided that the states should have more rights and attempted to split off from the United States and for there own Confederate states. The Confederate states wanted to have specific state rights in regards to keeping slaves. An estimated 650,000 Americans died in order for the federal government to exist in its current form. The matter of state rights has been settled.

Please use the 'technology at your fingertips' to actually educate yourself.

People who call for greater state rights only want more rights for themselves that only apply to themselves. The do not want rights for all. This nation was founded and made great by immigration. The 'states' where the majority of people want to prevent immigration are (other then Texas) the states where there is actually very little immigrants. The majority of states where immigrants live understand there value to society and the economy as a whole.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

71 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 71 guests, 0 anonymous users