• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#5121 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:37 PM

This is the best... he forgot which country he bombed.

HE FORGOT WHICH COUNTRY HE JUST DROPPED 59 CRUISE MISSILES ON.

http://fusion.net/do...mbed-1794253065
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5122 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

Are you surprised?

Ivanka said: "Daddy, I'm scared."

Trump responded: "I'll take care of it." *beckons over trogolodyte

Trump: "Bomb them."

Trog: "Yessir."
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5123 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:00 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 13 April 2017 - 02:45 PM, said:

Are you surprised?

Ivanka said: "Daddy, I'm scared."

Trump responded: "I'll take care of it." *beckons over trogolodyte

Trump: "Bomb them."

Trog: "Yessir."

I figure it was a little more...

Posted Image

#5124 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:12 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 April 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

Well, I mean, it's not like he has any concept of the difference between Iraq and Syria anyway. They're all random Middle Eastern countries to him. (Plus, y'know, Alzheimer's.)

But on a side note, am I the only one who found it more entertaining that the interviewer pointed out, rather excitedly, that the missiles were unmanned? I mean...most missiles are, y'know. >.> (Seriously got the feeling that neither of them really knew what the fuck they were talking about at that point, and of course Trump was already in full bullshit mode playing up how accurate they were etc.)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#5125 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:23 PM

View PostSilencer, on 13 April 2017 - 05:12 PM, said:

Well, I mean, it's not like he has any concept of the difference between Iraq and Syria anyway. They're all random Middle Eastern countries to him. (Plus, y'know, Alzheimer's.)

But on a side note, am I the only one who found it more entertaining that the interviewer pointed out, rather excitedly, that the missiles were unmanned? I mean...most missiles are, y'know. >.> (Seriously got the feeling that neither of them really knew what the fuck they were talking about at that point, and of course Trump was already in full bullshit mode playing up how accurate they were etc.)

It's an absolute miracle that he didn't nuke Israel.
Or Seattle.

And as for the unmanned thing... Fox news. Full stop.

#5126 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:39 PM

Nope, just bombing Afghanistan with the "mother of all bombs" (largest non-nuclear bomb in the world). 'Cause ISIS and stuff. Oh, and killing innocent Syrians because of bad intel.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5127 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:42 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 13 April 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

Nope, just bombing Afghanistan with the "mother of all bombs" (largest non-nuclear bomb in the world). 'Cause ISIS and stuff. Oh, and killing innocent Syrians because of bad intel.

Glorious Mother Russia respectfully disagrees, comrade.

:(

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#5128 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:51 PM

I might be wrong. Biggest in US arsenal at least.

#5129 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:01 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 13 April 2017 - 05:51 PM, said:

I might be wrong. Biggest in US arsenal at least.

To be fair, I'm mostly being sarcastic just because I happen to be aware of the FOAB - as the Wiki states it is entirely questionable whether the Russian bomb actually achieves its claimed performance, and its kind of a moot point seeing as both are absolutely devastating weapons on the scale of a small tactical nuke.

I just wanted to be a smartass, basically.

Shinrei said:

#5130 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:53 PM

Breaking news via Zerohedge:

Trump may put 10k-50k troops on the ground in Syria, potentially 150k.

http://www.zerohedge...00-troops-syria

This is going to be tough for Trump as he also seems to want to reunite Korea.. To one nation. I would think if Trump works with China/Russia we could make both occur.

Anyhow, neither of these would really suprise me at this point.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 13 April 2017 - 09:54 PM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#5131 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:39 PM

That would get him impeached, I think and make 2018 a massive swing towards Democrats.

#5132 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:47 PM

View PostNicodimas, on 13 April 2017 - 09:53 PM, said:

Breaking news via Zerohedge:

Trump may put 10k-50k troops on the ground in Syria, potentially 150k.

http://www.zerohedge...00-troops-syria

This is going to be tough for Trump as he also seems to want to reunite Korea.. To one nation. I would think if Trump works with China/Russia we could make both occur.

Anyhow, neither of these would really suprise me at this point.

Putting boots on the ground in Syria would be a very tough sell, but it does solve some of the tactical problems. The Kurds launched an offensive towards Raqqa months ago and have partially encircled the city to the north, but haven't completed the operation. They don't have the manpower to do it quickly and the Turks are yelling blue murder about it. With Mosul almost fallen, IS are also reinforcing Raqqa heavily and consolidating. It's going to be a tough nut to crack. A limited US ground offensive may be the best way of cracking it. 10-20,000 US troops would certainly do the job. But after criticising Bush for putting US forces into the Middle East, Trump would find it difficult to do the same thing. But he's U-turned so much recently maybe that's doable.

As for Korea, that could go off at any second. China have now told North Korea if they test a nuclear bomb over the weekend they will cut off oil supplies, which should give them pause. North Korea is totally dependent on China for fuel and food. If China cuts the pipeline, North Korea grinds to a halt. That's a bold step from China, but one they may prefer to North Korea testing a bomb, the US bombing the nuclear sites in reprisal (which I think Trump would feel absolutely compelled to do) and then North Korea firing on South Korea with an enlarged US response afterwards and then full-scale war following. That war ends with the peninsula in ruins or a reunified Korea as an American ally, which China is not keen on, and millions of North Koreans streaming over the border, which China is less keen on.

ETA: Oh crapballs. The US is preparing to launch missile and air strikes on North Korea if they think the test is going ahead. Interestingly, Trump is keeping the Chinese in the loop and the Chinese have basically told North Korea to drop its nuclear plans right now. That sounds like China giving the US, if not a green light, certainly a slightly less red one.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 13 April 2017 - 11:06 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#5133 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:25 PM

Yet he could draw a word picture about the freaking cake!

#5134 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:08 AM

Trump has no idea what he's doing in North Korea. He doesn't even know that Kim Jong Il is dead.
http://talkingpoints...th-korea-strike

Trump also made two references in the interview to “this gentleman” in North Korea, who he said had “outplayed” both Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. The late North Korean ruler Kim Jong Il died in 2011. His son, Kim Jong Un, is the country’s current ruler.

“But, you know, they’ve been talking with this gentleman for a long time,” Trump said. “You read Clinton’s book, he said, ‘Oh, we made such a great peace deal,’ and it was a joke. You look at different things over the years with President Obama. Everybody has been outplayed, they’ve all been outplayed by this gentleman. And we’ll see what happens. But I just don’t telegraph my moves.”

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5135 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 April 2017 - 12:41 AM

Yeah, that's cuz campaigning is the only part of the job he likes. Did he ever "lock her up", by the way?

Anyway, I don't know who he kicked out, but my guess is it wasn't one of the loyal Nazi skinheads attending:
Spoiler

#5136 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:38 PM

#5137 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:44 PM

So how likely do you think war with N. Korea will happen? I was expecting a blow up a couple of weeks back, but so far Trump hasn't gone full out nuclear, which is a relief.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#5138 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

The way China is behaving makes me think Trump will actually do something. What exactly I don't know. As much as the war industry wants something for America to spend some trillions on, I can't see a direct conflict with North Korea being very appealing for anybody.

Personally I hope a war actually happens. The costs in human lives would be appalling but, unlike say the Middle East, finally removing the leadership of North Korea and freeing the people of NK would actually be a worthwhile investment of human resources.

North Korea is like a few famines short of turning into the Panion Domin.

This post has been edited by Seduce Goose: 01 May 2017 - 03:16 PM

#5139 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:31 PM

Hoping a war happens seems like the wrong position to take. I'm still articulating why exactly that is, but it involves way more than the loss of human lives.

I think most of it is that despite the US and Russia being nearly constantly at war for the last century plus, we're not particularly good at actually winning the wars in a way that is decisive and final.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#5140 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:37 PM

Oh no doubt a war will not end happily but it does not sit well with me that there's this walled garden of human suffering, that mostly exists because of the ideologic and political proxy wars of the 20th century. Millions of people are starving, being worked to death, that live in abject terror of what is going to happen if they're singled out by the regime.

North Korea is an afront to the idea of the global community striving to move towards a better more sane future. If this had been a country in Europe (I hope) we'd have toppled it by now but because it's in China's backyard all we do is sit back hear about the stories coming out of that shithole.

And it doesn't seem like diplomacy and sanctions is ever going to change that.

This post has been edited by Seduce Goose: 01 May 2017 - 07:39 PM

Share this topic:

• 720 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

10 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users