• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#5081 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:59 AM

Maybe this is what got Bannon the boot from the NSC. The internal struggle isn't between "sane" Republicans and the alt-right, it's between the war profiteers and non-interventionists...and guess who's winning.

Not saying Assad doesn't need to get got. This whole situation is everything wrong with the world.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5082 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:02 AM

View Postworry, on 07 April 2017 - 01:59 AM, said:

Maybe this is what got Bannon the boot from the NSC. The internal struggle isn't between "sane" Republicans and the alt-right, it's between the war profiteers and non-interventionists...and guess who's winning.

Not saying Assad doesn't need to get got. This whole situation is everything wrong with the world.

Assad needs to go fuck himself.

But my question is this, what happens when Assad is gone? Whose going to fight ISIS on the ground?
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#5083 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:04 AM

We're going to be paying ISIS to fight the even worse group that forms in this power vacuum.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5084 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:38 AM

Russians at base confirmed by CNN...

Yikes
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#5085 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:58 AM

Ugh. Glad the people who gassed others are being attacked. They should be dead.

I'll stand by that.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5086 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:12 AM

So is this the beginning of an American invasion of Syria? Even if Assad can be removed is it possible to set up someone in his place? Past experience with Iraq would seem to indicate that its very problematic

#5087 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:23 AM

So President Trump has issued a statement on the airstrike. There is one statement in there that seems small, but I believe will have lasting repercussions.

"My fellow Americans,On Tuesday, Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad launched a horrible chemical weapons attack on innocent civilians.

Using a deadly nerve agent, Assad choked out the lives of helpless men, women and children.

It was a slow and brutal death for so many. Even beautiful babies were cruelly murdered in this very barbaric attack.

No child of God should ever suffer such horror.

Tonight I ordered a targeted military strike on the airfield in Syria from where the chemical attack was launched.

It is in this vital national security interest of the United States to prevent and deter the spread and use of deadly chemical weapons.

There can be no dispute that Syria used banned chemical weapons, violated its obligations under the Chemical Weapons Convention and ignored the urging of the UN Security Council.

Years of previous attempts at changing Assad's behaviour have all failed and failed very dramatically.

As a result, the refugee crisis continues to deepen and the region continues to destabilise, threatening the United States and its allies.

Tonight I call on all civilised nations to join us in seeking to end the slaughter and bloodshed in Syria, and also to end terrorism of all kinds and all types.

We ask for God's wisdom as we face the challenge of our very troubled world.

We pray for the lives of the wounded and for the souls of those who have passed.

And we hope that as long as America stands for justice, then peace and harmony will, in the end, prevail.

Goodnight. And God bless America and the entire world.

Thank you."

Am I the only one that believes that the underlined statement sounds like a precursor to a potential formal declaration of war?

This post has been edited by JPK: 07 April 2017 - 04:24 AM

#5088 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:55 AM

Well, it is a part of the cycle. Every time you elect a new Republican, America starts a new war.

#5089 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:18 AM

Great. I'm dreading the Russian response now. They have been backing Assad after all.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#5090 User is offline   LadyMTL 

• Epic bookworm

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:28 AM

I can't stand 45 (and I'm Canadian, we're always nice, lol) but I am so on the fence about this bombing. Al-Asaad needs to go - like yesterday - but at the same time getting into a conflict in Syria is so touchy. Does this help ISIS, however indirectly? How will the Russians respond to the bombing, even if they were supposedly forewarned and no Russians were hurt? Did the US government think this through at all or was this a "shoot now, ask questions later" type of action? I don't remember the last time they attacked any country so quickly, except for maybe after 9-11.

Also...is 45 doing this as a massive deflection from all of his admins Russia issues?

Sorry if I'm rambling, I'm actually kind of stunned that this happened.
~ Denn die Toten reiten schnell. (Lenore)

#5091 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:49 AM

Well this is escalating quickly...

"President Putin considers the U.S. strikes against Syria an act of aggression against a sovereign country violating the norms of international law, and under a trumped-up pretext at that,"
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5092 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:24 PM

Trumped-up, hihi.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#5093 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:07 PM

Approval rating down, own party turning against you, once supportive alt-elements starting to voice doubt... WAR TIME!!!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5094 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:16 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 April 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

Well this is escalating quickly...

"President Putin considers the U.S. strikes against Syria an act of aggression against a sovereign country violating the norms of international law, and under a trumped-up pretext at that,"

I mean, that is Putin's MO after all, so I guess he knows what he is talking about.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#5095 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 07 April 2017 - 02:34 PM

Apparently Trump is psychic as well. He was already talking about the swedish terrorist attack two months ago. Shocking.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#5096 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:31 PM

According to an article I read this morning, America contacted the Russians Before the bombing to give them time to move or evacuate any troops in the area.

This post has been edited by Apt: 07 April 2017 - 03:32 PM

#5097 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:17 PM

View PostApt, on 07 April 2017 - 03:31 PM, said:

According to an article I read this morning, America contacted the Russians Before the bombing to give them time to move or evacuate any troops in the area.

Yeah, I saw that too....but then the news began reporting that there still WERE Russians on the base at the time...perhaps didn't get out fast enough or didn't take it seriously?

It also sounds like the "heads up" was sent to the ground forces themselves, rather than through the Kremlin and down their chain of command...which I guess is fine as it gets the news there quicker...but it feels like it's also a bit of an underhanded way to "alert" someone to an airstrike without going through "channels" in a diplomatic way?

I dunno.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5098 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:46 PM

What's interesting about the heads up is that the Syrians were also alerted, the airstrike did not hit any chemical weapons depot, and the strike may have not done much in terms of any actual gain or degradation of capabilities.

This is really fucking dangerous stuff and despite the reputation of Mattis and McMaster, I don't trust Trump and Super Secretary of State Kushner to navigate this carefully or well.

There's a non zero chance the chemicals came from the opposition or from the Russians. That opens up a whole can of worms that takes time to go through.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#5099 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:41 AM

Well, hopefully that wasnt connected or that would be a deliberate warcrime.

#5100 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 08 April 2017 - 07:32 PM

I don't trust Trump and Super Secretary of State Kushner

That's so well stated and true. It's so sadly correct.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

74 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 74 guests, 0 anonymous users