• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#14301 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 July 2024 - 08:22 PM

I think Kamala has one of the worst wiki pages possible. If you read the section about her vice presidency over half of her accomplished according to the page have something to do with being either the first women, first black person, or first black women to achieve something. These accomplishments don’t mean nothing but it’s not the CV I am looking for when deciding who should be president.

Honestly the best thing her campaign could do is somehow glitz it up. They can reword it to focus on her personal accomplishments.

A joke I personally find particularly funny is that Trump is proof America would vote for a black man to be president before a women. I may have too low an opinion of the general electorate in the USA but for many a black women are 2 marks against her. Luckily I guess most of these people are already hardcore MAGA so maybe won’t affect her much. Someone mentioned Pete Buttigieg as a good VP pick. I think he is great. Man interviews well and he fights back. A black women and a gay man ticket though… again maybe I’m too pessimistic

#14302 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 22 July 2024 - 09:42 PM

Kamala's legions seem to be winning the internet:

Coconutpilled and contextmaxxing

[... Republicans] seem bizarrely unprepared for this.

Spoiler

if you're looking for some good starting points on Kamala memes, here are the Know Your Meme pages for the coconut tree meme and the unburdened meme.

Coconutpilled and contextmaxxing (garbageday.email)

Dark Brandon Never Had the Meme Capital Kamala Harris Does Right Now

[...] after Biden announced he'd be dropping out of the presidential race, endorsing Harris in his place, the vibes of the political internet, which had oscillated between terrifying and depressing, conspicuously shifted. [...]

[...] If you're oblivious to what I'm talking about, then you might have just fallen out of the metaphorical coconut tree.

But try to keep up: It's not too late to exist in the context of all in which you live and what came before you. There's still time to embrace what can be, and become unburdened by what has been.

Kamala Harris presidential campaign memes: Charli XCX, Chappell Roan, coconut tree. (slate.com)

Meanwhile... more right-wing meltdown-o-rama:

Stephen Miller Has Hypersonic Fox News Meltdown Over Biden Withdrawal (thedailybeast.com)

Putin's Pals Panic That Trump's Opponent Is No Longer Old, Sick Guy (thedailybeast.com)

Billionaire Bill Ackman Compares Biden to 'Hostage' in X Conspiracy Rant (thedailybeast.com)

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 22 July 2024 - 09:43 PM

#14303 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 July 2024 - 03:45 PM

I think its going to be a brexit thing.
If everyone eligible actually remotely understood what they were voting for and went and voted the GOP would crash and burn

as it stands too many apathetic will enable the scum

#14304 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 July 2024 - 04:08 PM

View PostMacros, on 23 July 2024 - 03:45 PM, said:

If everyone eligible actually remotely understood what they were voting for and went and voted the GOP would crash and burn

There's more emotion in the decision calculus for low information voters. The right wing is providing an outlet for anger and bigotry (with a heap of gun rights and controlling women), which is more attractive to a big segment of the country than doing the right thing.

Being angry >>> doing the right thing for too many people.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#14305 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 23 July 2024 - 05:08 PM

Director of the secret service resigned. Seemed dems republicans all wanted her too.

I’m not really against it but I’m not for it either. The secret service protects trump, joe Biden, embassies and fights counterfeit currency. The buck stops with her as Director I suppose but I don’t think she really had or even has the time to be involved in the minutia of a single trump rally when they happen every week.

If Trumps detail fucked up, which they obviously did, is it her fault? Unless she directly contributed to the error in some way? Political expediency or accountability?

#14306 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 July 2024 - 05:28 PM

View PostCause, on 23 July 2024 - 05:08 PM, said:

Director of the secret service resigned. Seemed dems republicans all wanted her too.

I'm not really against it but I'm not for it either. The secret service protects trump, joe Biden, embassies and fights counterfeit currency. The buck stops with her as Director I suppose but I don't think she really had or even has the time to be involved in the minutia of a single trump rally when they happen every week.

If Trumps detail fucked up, which they obviously did, is it her fault? Unless she directly contributed to the error in some way? Political expediency or accountability?

Reportedly Trump / Trump's people asked for more security multiple times and were refused.

She was trying to reduce costs, which might have led to hiring fewer agents and more reliance on local police.

The local police were apparently the primary source of the errors.

Worst of all... Trump's still alive! Just kidding... well, mostly...

Meanwhile... since Biden dropped out, Kamala's campaign has raised over 100 million dollars. To put that in perspective---their entire war chest was only about 240 million dollars. In the entire second quarter of 2024 Democrats raised only $264 million, while Trump and the RNC raised $331 million.

And she's already secured enough delegates to win the nomination.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 23 July 2024 - 05:36 PM

#14307 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 July 2024 - 09:09 PM

View Postamphibian, on 23 July 2024 - 04:08 PM, said:

View PostMacros, on 23 July 2024 - 03:45 PM, said:

There's more emotion in the decision calculus for low information voters. The right wing is providing an outlet for anger and bigotry (with a heap of gun rights and controlling women), which is more attractive to a big segment of the country than doing the right thing.

Being angry >>> doing the right thing for too many people.

This is a fact for too many people, as you say, but I don't know why it would drive this election, at least solely. It's a factor for sure, but not a foregone conclusion. Trump already has those people locked down. And they are in decline, especially since 2016 -- over 20 million boomers have died since then, while about 40 million younger people have entered the voting age window. The electoral college always makes things more dicey than they have to be, as 2020 showed (Biden's massive popular vote win vs. the slim-ish win margins in key purple states). But it's entirely doable.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#14308 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 July 2024 - 09:14 PM

We may have to wait and see how the GOP calling Harris a childless cat lady -- despite being a married stepmother of two -- plays with suburban moms.

#14309 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 23 July 2024 - 10:00 PM

Never underestimate the internalised misogyny of female voters. I'm hoping the younger generation are more progressive but fear it is even more ingrained than subconscious homophobia an old racism.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#14310 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 July 2024 - 10:24 PM

View Postworry, on 23 July 2024 - 09:14 PM, said:

We may have to wait and see how the GOP calling Harris a childless cat lady -- despite being a married stepmother of two -- plays with suburban moms.

I'd expect a large number of voters to assume her "children" are actually actors and/or lizard people and/or demons as part of a grand conspiracy to make it seem like Trump &co are lying.

Then again maybe Trump and the GOP will lean hard into "children don't count unless you give birth to them"?... Natural born children?

They've already resurrected a mutation of Birtherism to attack her with. Falsely claiming that since her parents weren't US citizens when she was born she's not a "natural born citizen" and so not eligible to run for president.

FACT FOCUS: A look at false claims around Kamala Harris and her campaign for the White House - ABC News (go.com)

Though of course Trump has said he wants to end birthright citizenship. Did he also say he wanted to have that apply retroactively?...

#14311 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 July 2024 - 10:55 PM

That may be true, but that large number of voters are already in Trump's camp, and I don't know who else it will attract. Worth noting that birtherism -- as racist as it was, and as deep-seatedly racist as this country is -- didn't actually work against Obama. He won both of his elections handily. I do take the point about internalized misogyny, but again, a lot of that is already baked into Trump's support -- and where it isn't, those folks helped lose him the 2020 election (e.g. Georgia suburban women). Not to mention how crucial non-white voters are to Dems in every presidential election. We are kind of in uncharted waters with the potential of misogynoir affecting an actual presidential nominee, so I don't mean to paint things as rosy. But doom seems like a premature call, particularly with the shocking (to me, at least) enthusiasm already pouring out for Harris.

GOP leadership, for what it's worth, appear to be worried that race and gender are losing issues for attacks, and are warning their racist, sexist mouthpieces to stop doing that. My guess is that they will not stop doing that. We'll see!

#14312 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 July 2024 - 11:48 PM

Wonder if Trump and Harris will go head to head on Trump saying she shouldn't even be a citizen, going on about how terrible immigrants are, with Harris saying she's a shining example of how wonderful birthright citizenship is, and Trump responding with some variant on how she's a great example of how terrible it is.

Seems like the fringe legal theory Trump and his cronies invoked actually might apply retroactively, to revoke her citizenship:

According to one argument — which most legal experts reject — the "jurisdiction" phrase [in the 14th Amendment to the Constitution] excludes noncitizens because they can't vote, serve on juries, or be tried for treason.

[...] "An executive order could specify to federal agencies that the children of noncitizens are not citizens, [...] Why shouldn't the president act to defend the clear meaning of the 14th Amendment?"

Can Trump revoke birthright citizenship? Nearly all on left and right say no. - POLITICO

... OTOH I imagine that making that explicit might encourage people who would lose their citizenship (and right to vote, among many other things) to vote....

Still, I wouldn't be shocked if Trump started talking about revoking her citizenship and deporting her... to somewhere. Probably a prison for the criminally insane... maybe on an island he can safely nuke if necessary?

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 23 July 2024 - 11:49 PM

#14313 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 July 2024 - 06:32 PM

Trump doesn't really laugh. He smirks; he bares his teeth silently. [... Trump's father] drilled into his son that "laughing is to make yourself vulnerable, it's to let down your guard in some way, it's to lose a little bit of control. And that can't happen."

Trump has struggled to come up with attack lines against her[... except for] one specific target: Harris's laugh. "I call her 'laughing Kamala,'" he said. "Have you ever watched her laugh? She is crazy. You can tell a lot by a laugh … She is nuts." Harris does indeed laugh;
Spoiler

Kamala Harris and the Threat of a Woman's Laugh - The Atlantic

OTOH... according to survey-based psychology research, a lot of Trump supporters are motivated by status anxiety and perceived threat to the ideas of race and gender hierarchies and divisions of labor they've internalized. They may be "triggered" by liberated women or young people or the children of immigrants or people of color or Democrats (etc. etc.) laughing at them. The GOP seems fond of running ads in which Democrats are laughing in slow motion. And while those types probably already supported Trump, they could become more motivated to turn out and vote. So it could backfire. But it seems like the internet is doing an excellent job of turning it into a greater positive. In a new national poll since Biden dropped out Harris is leading Trump by 2 points, but multiple swing state polls prior to Biden dropping out had Trump substantially ahead of her, so we'll see... I have a feeling that her campaign (helped by all the internet support, and all the cash) will be able to substantially boost her numbers.

It will be interesting to find out her position on Gaza, and see whether that makes a substantial difference in likely voter turn-out...

#14314 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 25 July 2024 - 06:58 PM

I would presume that just like in 2016, this is going to hinge on the Rust Belt swing states. So my concern is whether Harris can energize the Dems in those states enough to get high turnout to carry them.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#14315 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 25 July 2024 - 07:08 PM

Turnout is key. That's why I think Biden stepped aside. The turnout would be so low because there was zero energy to vote for Biden, and ONLY energy to vote against Trump. Low turnout is a Trump cakewalk and that would have also destroyed down-ballot tickets.

Harris might actually get more people to come to the polls. Maybe.

Good god does the electoral college need reforming/done away with.

I listened to a great podcast the other day about the decline in American democracy. When minority rule becomes the norm because the minority has rigged the rules so much that it is nearly impossible for the majority to overcome, is democracy really present?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#14316 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 26 July 2024 - 09:31 AM

The popularity vote is the only just way. Electoral college must go. Hopefully the last minute excitement helps her.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#14317 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 26 July 2024 - 10:15 AM

The Dems would need a super majority to even think about electoral reform yeah? The GOP will never change it, it's part of how they keep power?

#14318 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 July 2024 - 10:37 AM

That plus more -- an Amendment to the Constitution can be proposed if 2/3 if of both legislative chambers vote Yea. Then it goes to the state legislatures to ratify, and requires 3/4 (38 of 50) to say Yea. Only then does the change happen.

There's a couple other ways for the states themselves to propose an Amendment, but that basically never happens.

#14319 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 July 2024 - 10:41 AM

I mean that specifically for the Electoral College, which is enshrined in the Constitution. Not to discount other kinds of electoral reform which can be done through normal legislation, and doesn't require a super-majority but would (at least at present) require a simple majority in the House and 60 willing Dems in the Senate to overcome the filibuster, plus a SCOTUS who wouldn't squash it ASAP.

This post has been edited by worry: 26 July 2024 - 10:42 AM

#14320 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 July 2024 - 10:55 AM

View Postworry, on 26 July 2024 - 10:41 AM, said:

I mean that specifically for the Electoral College, which is enshrined in the Constitution. Not to discount other kinds of electoral reform which can be done through normal legislation, and doesn't require a super-majority but would (at least at present) require a simple majority in the House and 60 willing Dems in the Senate to overcome the filibuster, plus a SCOTUS who wouldn't squash it ASAP.

Yeah, good luck with that. :p

For starters, you guys really, really need to ditch the stupid different states and counties voting systems. One system, one method FFS!
And gut the GOP control of electoral commissions or whatever you call them over there. You know, the ones responsible for carrying out the elections and maintaining voter rolls.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

Share this topic:

• 720 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users