• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#14201 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 July 2024 - 08:19 PM

More parody, but gee, wouldn't it be nice?

https://theshovel.co...g-donald-trump/

Biden Responds to Supreme Court Ruling by Immediately Assassinating Donald Trump

Joe Biden has acted on a new ruling by the Supreme Court that allows Presidents to break the law for official purposes, ordering a hit on former US President Donald Trump.

Biden said the assassination was in the best interests of Americans who will now be spared another four years of the whining little Nazi baby man.

Under the new Supreme Court interpretation, Biden will not be held responsible for the murder which allows Presidents to “carry out the responsibilities of the executive branch under the Constitution”.

The Biden team used an unconventional method to carry out the assassination – an actor posing as Vladimir Putin was hired to tell Trump that he doesn’t like him. Trump immediately died of sadness.

Biden also assassinated six members of the Supreme Court. And Tucker Carlson.

More to come.

------------------------------------------------------------------

And that earthshattering SCOTUS decision ...

https://theshovel.co...ry-large-hands/

Supreme Court Rules That Trump Has Very, Very Large Hands

In an important victory for the former US President, the Supreme Court has ruled that Donald Trump has very large, very impressive hands, overruling previous judgements which suggested his hands are tiny.

Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in his majority opinion that Trump’s hands were among the biggest he had ever seen. “It is the court’s opinion that President Donald J Trump’s hands are tremendously large. Definitely larger than Joe Biden’s hands. Much, much bigger than Hillary Clinton’s. People come up to Mr Trump in the street and say ‘Sir, how can a person have such wonderfully large hands?’ These are some of the finest hands in America”.

Critics say the ruling is a mistake – a bronzed print of Donald Trump’s hand in Times Square’s Madame Tussauds seems to provide proof that Trump’s hands are in fact smaller than average. But the new judgement overrules these measurements, stating that Trump’s hands are officially “Eighteen inches wide and one yard long”.

“He has the biggest hands in America – it’s right there in the Supreme Court judgement. You can’t argue with that,” one Republican supporter said.

The judgement also stated that Donald Trump’s TV Show The Apprentice was the highest rating television show of all time.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 03 July 2024 - 08:25 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#14202 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 03 July 2024 - 08:42 PM

If people are Tepid on Biden I don’t even know if they bother to have an opinion on Harris.

I said I’d vote for an empty suit over Trump and I stand by it but Harris must be the emptiest suit the Dems have. Newsome, Buttigieg (spelling?), sanders. I’d have to believe anyone would be better. I am not aware of anything she has said or done in the past four years.

Thought the point about passing her over is valid. It would infuriate a lot of people. Still there has to better Criteria to keep her than that she is black and a women.

Honestly if this sinks Dems chances fingers need to be pointed. They had four years to assess Biden and groom a new candidate. If they dropped the ball until 4 months before the election the entire DRC leadership needs to fired. Imagine being outfoxed by Lara trump.

#14203 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 July 2024 - 10:21 PM

View PostCause, on 03 July 2024 - 08:42 PM, said:

If people are Tepid on Biden I don't even know if they bother to have an opinion on Harris.

I said I'd vote for an empty suit over Trump and I stand by it but Harris must be the emptiest suit the Dems have. Newsome, Buttigieg (spelling?), sanders. I'd have to believe anyone would be better. I am not aware of anything she has said or done in the past four years.

Thought the point about passing her over is valid. It would infuriate a lot of people. Still there has to better Criteria to keep her than that she is black and a women.

Honestly if this sinks Dems chances fingers need to be pointed. They had four years to assess Biden and groom a new candidate. If they dropped the ball until 4 months before the election the entire DRC leadership needs to fired. Imagine being outfoxed by Lara trump.

An empty suit filled with inappropriate laughter? That's what she's been most notable for as vice president (and of course it's on video... sinister giggling to trigger the MAGA hordes!).

Reportedly iirc the Democratic leadership has been aware of Biden's dire state for a long time.

#14204 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 July 2024 - 03:54 PM

View Postamphibian, on 03 July 2024 - 12:43 PM, said:

The stutter has to be recognized as a major factor in how this is playing out and many people aren't doing it because we don't fully know how to incorporate disability into our perspectives on things.

Biden did indeed stutter at multiple points during last week's debate, just as he has countless times throughout his life. But what millions of viewers saw that night, and what set the country aghast, was the president's frailty, his repeated freeze-ups, his mouth hanging agape, his vacant stare into the middle distance, and, above all, his frequent inability to present a coherent thought. Those behaviors are not symptoms of stuttering.

Spoiler

What Biden's Stutter Doesn't Explain - The Atlantic

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 04 July 2024 - 03:55 PM

#14205 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 04 July 2024 - 04:41 PM

It’s sad that we haven’t stood up an alternative yet. Or do we seriously lack in them? It may be that no one wants to run against trump this late in the game or it’s pure Biden ego.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#14206 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 July 2024 - 06:47 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 04 July 2024 - 04:41 PM, said:

It's sad that we haven't stood up an alternative yet. Or do we seriously lack in them? It may be that no one wants to run against trump this late in the game or it's pure Biden ego.

It's more like they're afraid of running against Kamala Harris. Or more specifically: they're concerned that if she doesn't get the nomination they'll lose too many Black voters or too many women or Asian-Americans. And if she does get the nomination, she's polling almost as badly as Biden, and she might motivate potential Trump voters to turn out. But I think her biggest issue is that she lacks charisma. Our presidents have to entertain us, oozing with rizz like open wounds where the rational parts of our brains should be.

Harris would be almost impossible to beat for the nomination, thanks to endorsements, money, optics and 2028 politics, top officials tell us. [...] All Harris needs is Biden's backing. [...] Biden and his closest advisers have long felt Trump would beat Harris. They question her political skills and likability beyond the liberal bases.

Kamala Harris unbeatable for Democratic nomination if Biden drops out (axios.com)

As for other alternatives:

the US is not an autocracy [yet!]. It should not be left solely to the judgement of one man and his inner circle, who have considerable vested interest in the outcome, to make this call. This is how you end up with the Soviet gerontocracy. The Democratic Party has a deep bench of rising stars: Michigan governor Gretchen Whitmer, Pennsylvania governor Josh Shapiro, Georgia senator Raphael Warnock, California governor Gavin Newsom, Illinois governor JB Pritzker. But there is a collective action problem. Nobody wants to be the first to wield the knife. Even more so when this would also mean challenging Kamala Harris – the first woman and the first person of colour to be vice-president – for the nomination. Far safer for all concerned to keep their heads down and preserve their prospects for 2028.

Joe Biden's only choice - New Statesman

#14207 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 04 July 2024 - 08:22 PM

There's no juice in switching from Biden. It's too late in the race to get someone else on the ballots and the GOP media machines are cranking this out to give a 34x felon whose mind is visibly melting a chance in the election.

Sure, Biden ain't perfect, yet not falling into the dumb ass stuff the Republican mainstream is now putting out over and over is important.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#14208 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 05 July 2024 - 04:25 PM

Biden says he won't do any more events after 8 PM... his TV interview tonight at 8 PM presumably being pre-taped. Wonder whether they'll be biased towards editing it favorably or unfavorably. Biden dropping out probably = better ratings; Biden trainwreck = more online views; but if they don't do what they can (within the bounds of journalistic ethics) to make Biden look good then they might not get future interviews....

Guess he only wants to be president until 8 PM? After that Kamala Harris can be Night president? Nightwatch president? Actually it is kind of ridiculous that we expect a single person to be able to make cogent decisions about things like retaliatory nuclear annihilation at all hours of the day. It's generally better for presidents to defer to their advisors, but if their advisors disagree, and a decision needs to be reached too quickly for them to vote on it... oh well, we might miss our chance to annihilate enough of Russia in return to make sure humanity mostly goes extinct (solving global warming in the process at least...)?

More bad polling news... particularly if Biden stays in the race:

[Biden] has fallen by around 2 points in every single core battleground—and also in states that were not even on the 2024 map last week. In the tipping-point state of Pennsylvania, Biden now trails by 7 points, compared to 5 points before the debate. He has also dropped in Michigan, where he now trails Trump by 7. [...] he is now losing by roughly 10 points in Georgia and Arizona, and by almost 9 points in Nevada.

The most worrisome angle to all this is that Trump is now within striking distance in a variety of states that weren't considered campaign battlegrounds last week.
Spoiler

Biden Plunges in Swing States in Leaked Post-Debate Poll - Puck

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 05 July 2024 - 04:25 PM

#14209 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 July 2024 - 11:34 AM

Far safer for all concerned to keep their heads down and preserve their prospects for 2028.

Bold to assume they won't be in a Republican prison camp for political dissidents come 2028.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#14210 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 July 2024 - 04:18 PM

[Interviewer:] if you stay in, and Trump is elected and everything you're warning about comes to pass, how will you feel [...]

BIDEN: I'll feel as long as I gave it my all and I did the goodest job as I know I can do, that's what this is about [...]

[Interviewer:] If you can be convinced that you cannot defeat Donald Trump, will you stand down?

BIDEN: (LAUGH) [...] if the Lord Almighty comes down and tells me that, I might do that.

Read the Full Transcript of President Biden's ABC News Interview - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Somebody slip some AR glasses on him while he's out of it... and get Morgan Freeman on the line.

"Goodest job" there is not a colloquialism or an intentional violation of English grammar.... (Then again, since the meaning is clear, why do people stick to strict grammatical rules? Especially irregular morphological inflections like "best" instead of "goodest"? There are multiple obvious possibilities, but one of the benefits is that it can act as an indicator of cognitive impairment....)

OTOH this part gives me some hope:

[Interviewer:] if you are told reliably from your allies, from your friends and supporters in the Democratic Party in the House and the Senate that they're concerned you're going to lose the House and the Senate if you stay in, what will you do?

BIDEN: I'm not going to answer that question. It's not going to happen.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 July 2024 - 04:18 PM

#14211 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 06 July 2024 - 05:59 PM

Right now Biden is just being stubborn. The US doesn’t want him but he is refusing to give up. I don’t think Harris would do well. IMO shew would just get the Hillary treatment. It needs to be someone the country knows and likes. Wish that were Newsome but I don’t think Centris republicans would back him. I wish it wasn’t too late to feel the Bern.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#14212 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 06 July 2024 - 06:40 PM

There's literally no point to switching candidates this late in the election. Your choices are 1) a pretty good President and 2) a bottom 3 President who is also a 34x felon who was in charge during the deaths of a million people from COVID and the installation of a Supreme Court that wants to subjugate women + empower future awful Presidents.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 06 July 2024 - 06:41 PM

#14213 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 06 July 2024 - 06:54 PM

View Postamphibian, on 06 July 2024 - 06:40 PM, said:

There's literally no point to switching candidates this late in the election. Your choices are 1) a pretty good President and 2) a bottom 3 President who is also a 34x felon who was in charge during the deaths of a million people from COVID and the installation of a Supreme Court that wants to subjugate women + empower future awful Presidents.

I think it could be done but needs to happen soon with full Biden support. He needs to man up and do the right thing. Soon.

#14214 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 July 2024 - 07:15 PM

DJT also has all the same signs of cognitive decline & elderly man issues Biden has, and has had them for longer. It's not just being unable to string coherent thoughts together -- that was true during his presidency, and it's been demonstrably worse this year alone (including what I've seen of the debate). But he also fell asleep in court nearly every single day during his criminal trial -- which was morning to mid-day, not prime-time hours -- and was a raving lunatic during the civil fraud trial before that, ranting constantly about the judge and even his law clerks. He's the same moron he always was, but significantly more brain fried.

Biden wasn't just wheeled out of an old folks home to the debate, either. He's the actual president right now, and has been for 3+ incredibly stable years. If I was presented with a magic button that sent him to the Hague for Gaza, I'd do it before you finished the sentence explaining it, as long as it also sent DTJ, Obama, and GWB with him for their war crimes. I don't like defending him. But any stuffed shirt from either major party would be doing the same thing on Gaza, and he's otherwise been completely boring. Literally nothing else he's done in all these years has come even close to as bad as any given week in DTJ's presidency, and a second term from him would be orders of magnitude worse. Not just because of him, but because -- among other devils -- Stephen Miller will be returning with him. Not to mention Project 2025, which Cause mentioned a while back, but we haven't really been talking about. Maybe too scary.

I know we're all on the same side of this fence -- like nobody here is scared of a second Biden presidency, just whether he'd be more likely to lose than a replacement would. But I personally tend to agree with amph on this, it's too late. Campaign finance laws would mean it would have to be Harris, and she's a non-entity.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#14215 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 July 2024 - 07:42 PM

View Postworry, on 06 July 2024 - 07:15 PM, said:

DJT also has all the same signs of cognitive decline & elderly man issues Biden has, and has had them for longer. It's not just being unable to string coherent thoughts together -- that was true during his presidency, and it's been demonstrably worse this year alone (including what I've seen of the debate). But he also fell asleep in court nearly every single day during his criminal trial -- which was morning to mid-day, not prime-time hours -- and was a raving lunatic during the civil fraud trial before that, ranting constantly about the judge and even his law clerks. He's the same moron he always was, but significantly more brain fried.

Biden wasn't just wheeled out of an old folks home to the debate, either. He's the actual president right now, and has been for 3+ incredibly stable years. If I was presented with a magic button that sent him to the Hague for Gaza, I'd do it before you finished the sentence explaining it, as long as it also sent DTJ, Obama, and GWB with him for their war crimes. I don't like defending him. But any stuffed shirt from either major party would be doing the same thing on Gaza, and he's otherwise been completely boring. Literally nothing else he's done in all these years has come even close to as bad as any given week in DTJ's presidency, and a second term from him would be orders of magnitude worse. Not just because of him, but because -- among other devils -- Stephen Miller will be returning with him. Not to mention Project 2025, which Cause mentioned a while back, but we haven't really been talking about. Maybe too scary.

I know we're all on the same side of this fence -- like nobody here is scared of a second Biden presidency, just whether he'd be more likely to lose than a replacement would. But I personally tend to agree with amph on this, it's too late. Campaign finance laws would mean it would have to be Harris, and she's a non-entity.

She's polling better than Biden. And Biden is at risk of slipping even further if he has further episodes of being out of it in public before the election; reports from reliable sources indicate that he has these episodes frequently in private, which is why they've been trying to minimize his public appearances. (Granted, her laughter is a bit of a liability. Trump recently christened her "Laffin' Kamala" and "Biden's Cackling Copilot". However, as experts have pointed out, if Biden stays in the race, MAGA will be engaging in racist sexist fear-mongering about President Kamala anyway, since Biden's bouts of mental incompetence are likely only going to become more frequent over the next four years.)

If she were a nonentity she'd do even better, since "generic Democrat" outpolls them both.

There are several legal workarounds for the campaign donation issue. One being to refund donors and expect them to re-donate. The other options might be more legally tenuous, and if so I'd guess Trump could appeal to the Supreme Court... and they of course would rule that all the money has to be given to Trump.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 July 2024 - 07:44 PM

#14216 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 06 July 2024 - 08:23 PM

It's genuinely too late to switch candidates. The narrative is being fed into by big media companies and jerk journalists who see this as a more interesting story because the Democrats actually entertain better options instead of going in on how the GOP is continually embracing corrupt rapists.

The closeness of the impending election despite the wildly large gap between quality of candidates is a sign of just how strong racism/wealth concentration/vote suppression is in the USA.

Gaza is a huge wrong, yet it's not the reason people are clamoring for Biden to drop out.

This is not a horse race. It's a Presidential election and switching Biden out at this point is not truly possible. The internal structure of the primaries and election don't allow it.

We also have absolutely bonkers attitudes towards disability and working with people who have disabilities that are rearing their ugly heads within media coverage and popular discourse.

#14217 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 06 July 2024 - 09:01 PM

I don’t see it as people being against working with people who have disabilities. It’s more that our generation has a lot of experience with parents of with some form of dementia. I have my mom on a permanent non call list because of her Alzheimer’s. It would upset her and cause more confusion if she got involved. I just recently had the I have a history of seizures talk with my boss reassuring him him that it doesn’t affect my job, just how the office should react if I have one. Sucks.

#14218 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 July 2024 - 09:39 PM

View Postamphibian, on 06 July 2024 - 08:23 PM, said:

switching Biden out at this point is not truly possible. The internal structure of the primaries and election don't allow it.

According to legal experts, Biden's delegates are actually not required to vote for him, even if he doesn't drop out. This seems to be well established and not disputed by experts. Of course, Biden's delegates will probably only choose someone else if Biden drops out of the race.

If Biden stepped aside voluntarily, his "pledged" and "unpledged" delegates would be free to support another candidate of their choice at the DNC.

This would be the most straightforward scenario for the Democratic party to select another candidate, and it would be one with historical roots: at Democratic nominating conventions of the past, presidential hopefuls would go from one state delegation to another to make their case.

Even if Biden did not release the delegates, they are only obligated to support the winning primary candidate in "good conscience," meaning they could vote for another candidate with Biden still in the race: an unlikely but technically possible scenario.

If Biden steps aside, here's how his delegates could move forward (usatoday.com)

Of course, with this Supreme Court, WTFK....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 06 July 2024 - 09:40 PM

#14219 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 06 July 2024 - 09:53 PM

No candidate in the last 80 years has been switched out this late.

We also have Biden *closing* the polling gaps lately. https://www.bloomber...ter-debate-poll

There's an actual strategy here that's led to Biden getting this type of shit from big media companies - he goes to local media almost all the time for his appearances and events. It's combined with a comms team that is not experienced enough to navigate him well with big media people - who are often in the tank for Trump.

#14220 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 06 July 2024 - 10:12 PM

I think the too old rule should be seriously considered. Dens would be happy to jump on a different train.

Share this topic:

• 712 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Slow Ben