• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#10061 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:38 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 19 February 2020 - 07:17 PM, said:

Oh my, things gonna get spicy tonight. Lil' Mikey Bloomberg steps onto the debate stage for the first time. Will he step up onto a box at his podium so he can speak into the mic? Will he have the other candiates stopped and frisked as they walk onto the debate stage? (probably not, their melanin does not give them a dark enough skin tone to warrant it). If lil' Mikey Bloomberg really wants to make a statement and come off like a boss, he should step up onto that box and slam a Super Big Gulp of Code Red Mountain Dew down on the podium and then take a long, obnoxious slurp out of a garish and defiantly plastic straw and be all like 'bring it on bitches!, I'm gonna drop 3 billys on this shiznit, so why even try!"

Gods, I fucking hate Bloomberg.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#10062 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:21 PM

'For those who didn’t receive the Fox News treatment, it appears that in at least one case, cold hard cash did the talking. Paul Pogue, a construction company owner who pleaded guilty to underpaying his taxes by $473,000 and received three years probation, was issued a full pardon and clemency by the president.

According to FEC filings, Pogue’s family has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars in direct contributions and in-kind air travel to the Trump Victory Committee. Beginning in August 2019, Ben Pogue—CEO of Pogue Construction and son of Paul Pogue—and his wife Ashleigh made over $200,000 in contributions to the campaign.

In August alone, Ben Pogue donated $85,000 to Trump Victory while Ashleigh Pogue contributed $50,000 that month. The following month, Ben Pogue made an in-kind air travel contribution of $75,404.40. The couple also made several large donations to the Republican National Committee and each donated $5,600 to Donald Trump for President Inc.

On the day of their first donation to the Trump campaign, Ashleigh posted an Instagram photo of her and her husband posing with Donald Trump Jr. and his girlfriend, Kimberly Guilfoyle, at the Hamptons.

Prior to the Pogues’ sudden significant donating spree to Trump and the Republicans, the couple was not seen as big campaign spenders, having donated a few thousand dollars for Paul Ryan’s congressional campaign in 2017 and $5,400 for former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum’s 2016 Republican presidential run.'

https://www.yahoo.co...-202715601.html

#10063 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 21 February 2020 - 07:04 PM

News headline:

Intelligence community says Russia is meddling in 2020 election and trying to get Trump re-elected.

I'm flabbergasted by this. This has to be 'fake news' perpetrated by the deep state, yeah? Posted Image

#10064 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:18 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 21 February 2020 - 07:04 PM, said:

News headline:

Intelligence community says Russia is meddling in 2020 election and trying to get Trump re-elected.

I'm flabbergasted by this. This has to be 'fake news' perpetrated by the deep state, yeah? Posted Image

In other news, bears shit in the woods.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#10065 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:16 AM

Today, when I was in the process of waking up, a thought occurred to me. More like a nightmare, but whatever.

It honestly surprises me that Trump hasn't, yet, ordered Nuclear Weapons tests.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#10066 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:30 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 22 February 2020 - 08:16 AM, said:

Today, when I was in the process of waking up, a thought occurred to me. More like a nightmare, but whatever.

It honestly surprises me that Trump hasn't, yet, ordered Nuclear Weapons tests.

Well, thanks for jinxing us ... :doh:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#10067 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:27 AM

Sanders is doing well in the primaries. Let's assume for a second he wins the presidency and the blue wave continues to unseat Republicans.

Does Sanders actually have enough support among the Democrats to realize his ideas about healthcare, debt, wages, taxes, etc?

#10068 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:38 AM

Just my opinion, but I don't think he's capable of selling his policies as mainstream (even though they are); he has too much of a reputation for being an extremist, his personality and approach support that reputation, and everything he tries to pass is going to be viewed in that light.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#10069 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:41 AM

Might we not see the same effect on the Congress and Senate that Trump has had, if you see the "Bernies" pressure their Representatives across country?

#10070 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:56 AM

Bernie seems like he has a good chance of winning the democratic primary and being the presidential candidate.

Can he beat trump? Seems like he may be too extreme for most independents, some democrats and mya drive republicans out to vote in droves for trump? Not an expert but at least that’s the prevailing opinion I seem to pick up.

#10071 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:00 AM

The people who left the Republican Party because of Trump (and there are a lot of them) tend to hate Bernie overall. I doubt that will be very important in the grand scheme of things but then there is the Hillary wing of the Democratic Party that still hates Bernie because of 2016. They will (mostly) vote for him if he is the nominee, though, and tbh they are more likely to show up in the general election than many of Bernie's actual voters.

Even discussing this sort of thing seems naive though. Trump is an authoritarian. I will be very surprised if he loses. He is probably doing everything in his power as we speak to make sure that he does not lose. If he breaks the law to that end, there is no one left who will stop him or hold him accountable.

There it is.

#10072 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:40 AM

What There's said.

Assuming he keeps enough sanity to not be put in the assylum expect Trump to try and force himself into a third term

#10073 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:56 AM

No one is going to put him in an asylum either. He knows that if he loses to a Democrat, he is going to jail and he is not getting pardoned any time soon. You think he's going to let that happen? Not a chance in hell.

There it is.

#10074 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:13 AM

View PostCause, on 23 February 2020 - 05:56 AM, said:

Bernie seems like he has a good chance of winning the democratic primary and being the presidential candidate.

Can he beat trump? Seems like he may be too extreme for most independents, some democrats and mya drive republicans out to vote in droves for trump? Not an expert but at least that’s the prevailing opinion I seem to pick up.

Yeah ... nah.

There's a lot more people in Trump's base than Bernie's. And a lot more who will be motivated to vote.

Americans tend to gather their skirts and have fainting spells at the mere suggestion of something vaguely social-ist. So there's that barrier.
There's too much wealth opposed to any ideas he may potentially represent as well. You can expect the nastiest and most ubiquitous ads and stories about him. It will make any previous campaign look like polite gossip at high tea.

Sadly, Bernie has the proverbial snowflake's chance in Hell. Unless partway through the election campaign something comes to light about Trump that repulses even his base. It will have to be something truly obscene though to get that lot to reverse their votes. I'm genuinely having trouble imagining what that could be. Which really says a lot about the mental and moral reputation of his rusted-on supporters. Anyone who publicly states he is Superman or was sent by God is a case for euthanasia.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 23 February 2020 - 09:40 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#10075 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 23 February 2020 - 08:16 AM

Has there been any analysis on the differences or overlap between Trump and Bernie supporters? I could definitely see a lot of Trump's 2016 voters choose Bernie in 2020. If we assume that a substantial amount of them were voting to upset the status quo because Trump was a wild card.

I see Bernie having much the same appeal to the poorest Trump supporters. Assuming Fox News doesn't hypnotize them.

#10076 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:47 PM

The poorest Trump voters wouldn't switch to Sanders. Even though Sanders will strengthen social programs that benefit them the most, programs Trump has been cutting, they will vote for Trump for a second term. I made this point at another time, Trump voters vote against their self interests. And I would argue that of Trump's base, the rural white poor to 9-5 working class/paycheck to paycheck are his strongest, never waiver supporters. Possibly the fence sitting voters who couldn't stomach pulling the lever for Hillary Clinton and plugged their noses as they voted for Trump the last time around could be enticed to vote for whoever the democrat is.

#10077 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:58 PM

I believe that Bernie has a much better chance than Terez and the others are giving him. However, what is going to be integral to his hypothetical success as president is whether the Democrats can get enough senators to be able to break the McConnell lock on passing any legislation. Even with a Republican president, McConnell is slowing down legislation to a point that several parts of the government are breaking down. It will get worse if the Democrats cannot win Senate elections enough to break his majority leader hold.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#10078 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:00 PM

My estimation of his chances has little to do with his electability and everything to do with the fact that Trump is going to abuse his power to win.

In 2016, Bernie had a better chance of beating Trump than Hillary. Today, it doesn’t really matter who wins.

There it is.

#10079 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 23 February 2020 - 08:57 PM

I agree trump will cheat, I still love the description that trump is America’s first African president. He views government as an extension of his personal power. It’s a powerful analogy for me.

However America is still not Africa. It’s possible that trump emboldened by escaping impeachment may go too far. The media here is powerful, the watchdog orgs still have teeth. The rank and file of the intel organizations remain a political appointees. Trump remains his own worst enemy. He lacks subtlety.

#10080 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 23 February 2020 - 09:04 PM

He's hollowing out the state department and the national security apparatus as we speak. He's hobbling federal law enforcement and intelligence. He's filling benches with his own appointees. He has the Supreme Court. The Republicans in the Senate are protecting him and doing everything in their power to resist attempts to tighten election security. Things are looking pretty bleak. I think our only hope is that he's too incompetent to truly rig the election in his favor, but that's a shallow hope because there are plenty of more competent people waiting in the wings, eager for the opportunity to do just that.

There it is.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users