• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The metal thread For everything about the worlds heaviest music

#41 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

I won't continue the argument but do what the thread wants - talk metal, music e.t.c

This week, I delved further into the whole 'folk' arena of metal and started digging around for amazing bands. I always have been fond of folk metal particularly any non-English speaking band fronted by a female vocalist with operatic/soprano/smooth vocals. I got into it via Lumsk (a must listen Norwegian that sadly no longer releases new stuff) and Eluveitie (a band whose albums are particularly awesome but I particularly dig Aracane Dominion I specifically due to Anna's awesome vocals).

Thus, in new stuff:

Folk (metal, metalish, non-metal)

Valravn (Faroese metalish)
Faun (non-metal)
Omena (Russian metal)
Heidevolk (Dutch metal, i think?)
Tyr (metal, Scandinavian?)
Moonlight

Oriental/Folk

Orphaned Land (re-discovering its magic! For those who don't know, this is an epic Israeli band but unique in that it mixes in Arabic, Israeli tunes and has a peace message to it that I particularly find awesome - a best of both worlds!)
Arkan (an amazing french band that mixes oriental music and metal - both their albums are superb)
Al Qaynah (four songs only released so far but pure magic)
Myrath (Tunisian!)
Al Namrood (Middle East, awesome mix of brutal dm, bm and oriental tunes music!)
Narjahanam (Middle East, epic mix of brutal dm, bm and oriental tunes stuff!)
Moonsorrow's new album

In other metal:

Re-discovering some Nightwish
Tarja Turunen's new album (particularly the song Still of the Night)
Within Temptation's new album (sadly, the vocals are more masculine but good nevertheless)
Draconian's 2011 album (a must listen for a heavier, more melodic Tristania, one of the best bands today by my count)
Madder Mortem's new EP (also one of the best bands today by my count - all their stuff kicks ass)
Re-discovering Sepultura (Roots Bloody Roots, my fav album)
Moonsorrow's new album (yet another fav brutal BM band)

And, also listening to some classical 'soundtrack' music - Two Steps From Hell and E.S. Posthumus particularly.

NOTE: I don't give a crap if you don't like what I listen to, if you think I mislabel genres. For me, their is only one genre and that's good music which includes everything from metal to classical. So, listen to it but don't get all scientific and technical! Sheesh, people with these me like/you no likey wars!
Disclaimer: The Toblakai in my nick is in no way Karsa but the spawn of a Thelomen Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon.
Disclaimer to the disclaimer: Thinks about his signature and wonders how on earth would a Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon...create offspring?

#42 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

View PostGaystadFlourishHammer, on 12 November 2011 - 05:42 PM, said:

VH1 Classic started airing an 11 part series call Metal Evolution. The first one hour part is titled Pre-Metal. A new part will air every week on Friday evening.

this looks awesome thanks man, will try and find out more about it.

#43 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

I love Nightwish but from what I have heard of the new stuff compared with how long they spent making it, I kind of feel like they should perhaps have a slightly newer sound. Meh. I dunno I will wait til the album comes out and give it a few listens before passing true judgement...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#44 User is offline   Black Winged Lord 

• Sergeant

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:15 AM

Good to see the boys from slayer are into their Hogans Heroes. Classic Stuff right there.

Technically I'm probably more of a rocker than a metalhead, huge range of odd stuff in my collection,but can't go past my daily dose of 'tellica. Although I think Lou Reed can fuck off to put it politely.

#45 User is offline   Mangler51 

• Recruit

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:36 AM

View PostGaystadFlourishHammer, on 26 October 2011 - 04:49 AM, said:

that is F'n hilarrious.....unfortunately i know that I have been stoned enough in the past to end up in that argument, anyways.....

When it comes to metal there is a lot of bands out there that i love:

Out of the main stream, or more welll known metal there is the usual Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Sepulutra (roots and earlier), Iron Maiden, Judas Preist, Slayer, Lamb of God, Devil Driver, Children of Bodom, Fear Factory, Amon Amarth ect.....

Then a little less known:

Deliver us from Evil - if you like Lamb of God, you'll probably like them. One of my favorite bands right now
Hibria - Kinda Iron Madien like, thier bass player is insane
Kalisia - death metal dream theatre?
Lazarus A.D - Long live Thrsh!!
When the Empire falls - dont know where to put them but i like them
Pergamum

I

#46 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:03 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 23 November 2011 - 09:48 PM, said:

I love Nightwish but from what I have heard of the new stuff compared with how long they spent making it, I kind of feel like they should perhaps have a slightly newer sound. Meh. I dunno I will wait til the album comes out and give it a few listens before passing true judgement...

Their new stuff is good and heavier but Nightwish is no longer what it was without Tarja's epic vocals. In fact, I recomend you check out her solo albums - the first is lighter rock but the second (or is it third?) is more heavier and reminiscent of the old Nightwish.
Disclaimer: The Toblakai in my nick is in no way Karsa but the spawn of a Thelomen Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon.
Disclaimer to the disclaimer: Thinks about his signature and wonders how on earth would a Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon...create offspring?

#47 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:49 PM

View PostOtataral Toblakai, on 24 November 2011 - 03:03 PM, said:

Their new stuff is good and heavier but Nightwish is no longer what it was without Tarja's epic vocals. In fact, I recomend you check out her solo albums - the first is lighter rock but the second (or is it third?) is more heavier and reminiscent of the old Nightwish.

See I LOVED Dark Passion Play, and I liked the new singers edgier vocals & more "rock" style. I also loved Tarja's style, so I was happy to hear there was a new one coming cos I liked their style whatever. However the new song sounds like it could have come off Dark Passion Play... Would have been nice if they tried something different. Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna get the album but I hope it's not just a rehash of the last album...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#48 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 30 November 2011 - 04:49 PM, said:

View PostOtataral Toblakai, on 24 November 2011 - 03:03 PM, said:

See I LOVED Dark Passion Play, and I liked the new singers edgier vocals & more "rock" style. I also loved Tarja's style, so I was happy to hear there was a new one coming cos I liked their style whatever. However the new song sounds like it could have come off Dark Passion Play... Would have been nice if they tried something different. Don't get me wrong, I'm gonna get the album but I hope it's not just a rehash of the last album...

It's just like Van Halen all over again!

I also like AnetteWish, but that's because I like the music Tuomas writes. I've listened to a few songs from Tarja's solo albums and they're ok. She needs to find a stronger songwriter.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#49 User is offline   Orlion 

• Captain
  • Interests:Amontillado Tofu.

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

Been trying to listen to some Iced Earth sense they're playing with Symphony X next year. Currently, I just think they're all right.

Any Iced Earth fans around to point me to their essentials?

#50 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:42 PM

View PostOrlion, on 02 December 2011 - 06:39 PM, said:

Been trying to listen to some Iced Earth sense they're playing with Symphony X next year. Currently, I just think they're all right.

Yeah not really a big fan of any of their stuff, but the album "Something Wicked This Way Comes" is pretty sweet - the last 3 tracks are epic! Aside from that, I haven't been impressed with too much. Symphony X are pretty cool live. Again, not a huge fan, but they opened for Dream Theater one time I went to see them and they did a great job of getting the crowd going...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#51 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:42 PM

Unfortunately I never got majorly in to them, but (imo) they're better on their live albums than the studio albums, so you're probably in for a treat.

Symphony X rocks!

#52 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

Hey anyone liking the so called "djent" scene? I don't really like the fans but the music is pretty mental! Try out SikTh, Periphery or TesseracT for some epic insane brilliance!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#53 User is offline   Mr.James 

• Architectalis

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

Get their Athens Concert (alive in athens), they play their best songs and it is better than the studio albums and it has a nice diversity between their more ballad-y songs (Watching over me, Question of heaven) and their heavier stuff (Travel in Stygian, Angels holocaust) and Matt Barlow -front-man- at his peak, basically the only album of Iced earth I listen to these days. Also, stay away from their last couple of albums...complete Shite IMO..

on topic, I'm REALLY digging the new Myrath album (tales of the sand) and would advise anyone into folk metal (even those who aren't) to give it a go. superb integration of Arabic and middle eastern melodies into prog. metal

also currently in an Amon Amarth binge, but that is probably due to my current Norse mythology craze <_< (Twilight of the Thunder God all the way) Posted Image
When a man lies he murders
Some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which
Men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear
To witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation
Take me home
'James

#54 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:57 AM

View PostMr.James, on 07 December 2011 - 08:36 PM, said:

on topic, I'm REALLY digging the new Myrath album (tales of the sand) and would advise anyone into folk metal (even those who aren't) to give it a go. superb integration of Arabic and middle eastern melodies into prog. metal

also currently in an Amon Amarth binge, but that is probably due to my current Norse mythology craze :D (Twilight of the Thunder God all the way) Posted Image

Liking the sound of Myrath, will check it out and let you know!

As for Amon amarth, I got one of their albums and after the first two songs I can't listen any more! I don't know why I just can't get into it. Love the themes and also really dig the synchronised windmill headbanging but I just get bored so quickly! I do love those first two songs though - Valhall Awaits & Runes to my Memory...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#55 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:31 AM

Oh dude, if you didn't get to "Hermod's Ride to Hel," you missed out.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#56 User is offline   wade 

• more interesting African Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:38 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 05 December 2011 - 08:52 PM, said:

Hey anyone liking the so called "djent" scene? I don't really like the fans but the music is pretty mental! Try out SikTh, Periphery or TesseracT for some epic insane brilliance!

Periphery's lead singer sounds autotuned :D

#57 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:30 PM

HO-LEE POOPSTAIN! Myrath are freaking incredible! I mean I thought I knew that sub-sub-sub-genre cos I love Orphaned Land, but this adds a whole layer of epic to the sound! Mrs Tiste is away today so I have it blaring out throughout the apartment!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#58 User is offline   Mr.James 

• Architectalis

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:43 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 10 December 2011 - 03:30 PM, said:

HO-LEE POOPSTAIN! Myrath are freaking incredible! I mean I thought I knew that sub-sub-sub-genre cos I love Orphaned Land, but this adds a whole layer of epic to the sound! Mrs Tiste is away today so I have it blaring out throughout the apartment!

hehe exactly my first reaction :D glad you enjoyed them..
check out a french band called Arkan..a bit different than Myrath since they are more Death metal than Progressive, but worth checking out !
When a man lies he murders
Some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which
Men miscall their lives
All this I cannot bear
To witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation
Take me home
'James

#59 User is offline   Captain Beardface 

• Mason of Serc
  • Interests:Rugby, Darts, Quality Beer, Heavy Metal... Hard Rock in general

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

Ah metal, brings out people's passion... The History of Metal on VH1 has been great... gotta love that Sam Dunn, who is the guy behind it and the documentary Metal: The Headbanger's Journey.
Monsignor:...Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.
Connor: [as the brothers exit the church] I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
Murphy: Aye.

Boondock Saints

#60 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:39 PM

View PostMuttonChops, on 10 December 2011 - 08:47 PM, said:

Ah metal, brings out people's passion... The History of Metal on VH1 has been great... gotta love that Sam Dunn, who is the guy behind it and the documentary Metal: The Headbanger's Journey.

Yeah got that DVD, I want the Global Metal doc he did as well (as follow up to A Headbangers Journey) but every time I check it isn't in stock!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 39 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users