• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The metal thread For everything about the worlds heaviest music

#21 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:34 PM

Just thought I'd jump in very quickly (don't have time to read everything) and state that Eluveitie are from Switzerland afaik...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#22 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:36 PM

Believe it or not, Satan is quite aggressive.

On topic, my metal tastes came from my father. His favorites were always Queensryche, (not sure if I'm spelling that correctly) Iron Maiden, and the like. Not so much into the darker stuff, especially with growling. He liked glam/hair metal, too. But he admits now the folly of that.

#23 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:40 PM

Actually Bryn makes a very good point (I can't bring myself in all seriousness to say that Satan makes a good point, sorry but I just can't...) Metalheads as a collective are a bunch of morons. The whole "I LIKE METAL AND YOU DON'T SO THEREFORE ANYTHING YOU THINK IS RUBBISH" concept is both amusing and sad, and yes, I take that viewpoint from time to time, because sometimes I believe it and other times I just like winding people up. But the real reason metalheads are (to an extent) a bunch of douches is the whole "IF YOU DONT LIKE METALLICA YOU ARENT METAL!!!" or "IF YOU DONT LIKE IRON MAIDEN YOU ARENT METAL!!!!" or "IF YOU LIKE ANY BAND THAT HAS MORE THAN 15 FANS AND HAVE AN ALBUM THAT SOUNDS LIKE IT WAS PRODUCED BY MORE THAN TWIGS AND STONE YOU ARENT METAL!!!!!!!one!!!!!1111111!!!!!!!eleven!!!!!" honestly, sometimes it is worse than gamers and their n00bs in the metal world. The worst are the people who are like "YEAH EVERYTHING IS DARK AND SATANIC AND THE WHOLE WORLD CAN GO fnsK THEMSELVES!!!!!" that's not metal.

Come on people, heavy metal was about challenging genres, challenging convention and trying something new. And as far as I'm concerned it still is. And that is why I don't hate all the random sub-sub-sub genres, because someone is always trying something new, despite the fact that Dream Theater/Blind Guardian/Slipknot etc. have produced yet another album that sounds the same as the last one... (and don't get me wrong I love Dream Theater for what they did, but they need to stop repeating what they have done...)

The other thing that metal is is great fun. Hence why I love bands that refuse to take themselves seriously. Like the folk metal of Turisas and the gobbledegook of SikTh... Stop getting so het up about things and just enjoy rocking out!!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#24 User is offline   Orlion 

• Captain
  • Interests:Amontillado Tofu.

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:08 AM

Sometimes I think people listen to metal because they feel outcast, like they are misunderstood. They're sort of the middle ground between goth and emos (or so it seems, at times). Sometimes, this becomes so much of the identity with their love of metal that any metal band that becomes popular is automatically not metal... how could they be when metal means being misunderstood by the majority?

#25 User is offline   wade 

• more interesting African Swallow of Low House PEN

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:31 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 28 October 2011 - 09:40 PM, said:

Actually Bryn makes a very good point (I can't bring myself in all seriousness to say that Satan makes a good point, sorry but I just can't...) Metalheads as a collective are a bunch of morons. The whole "I LIKE METAL AND YOU DON'T SO THEREFORE ANYTHING YOU THINK IS RUBBISH" concept is both amusing and sad, and yes, I take that viewpoint from time to time, because sometimes I believe it and other times I just like winding people up. But the real reason metalheads are (to an extent) a bunch of douches is the whole "IF YOU DONT LIKE METALLICA YOU ARENT METAL!!!" or "IF YOU DONT LIKE IRON MAIDEN YOU ARENT METAL!!!!" or "IF YOU LIKE ANY BAND THAT HAS MORE THAN 15 FANS AND HAVE AN ALBUM THAT SOUNDS LIKE IT WAS PRODUCED BY MORE THAN TWIGS AND STONE YOU ARENT METAL!!!!!!!one!!!!!1111111!!!!!!!eleven!!!!!" honestly, sometimes it is worse than gamers and their n00bs in the metal world. The worst are the people who are like "YEAH EVERYTHING IS DARK AND SATANIC AND THE WHOLE WORLD CAN GO fnsK THEMSELVES!!!!!" that's not metal.

Come on people, heavy metal was about challenging genres, challenging convention and trying something new. And as far as I'm concerned it still is. And that is why I don't hate all the random sub-sub-sub genres, because someone is always trying something new, despite the fact that Dream Theater/Blind Guardian/Slipknot etc. have produced yet another album that sounds the same as the last one... (and don't get me wrong I love Dream Theater for what they did, but they need to stop repeating what they have done...)

The other thing that metal is is great fun. Hence why I love bands that refuse to take themselves seriously. Like the folk metal of Turisas and the gobbledegook of SikTh... Stop getting so het up about things and just enjoy rocking out!!

[In reference to paragraph 1]
I agree with most of that. I like a wide range of genres outside metal, and get weird looks from my supposedly metalhead friends when I try show how good Loreena Mckennitt is. The metal culture as a whole needs more musical tolerance, which I think it does have with many of it's listeners, but there is still an ignorant majority.

[paragraph 2]
Being the inherent Blind Guardian fanboy, I disagree completely that their last album sounds at all like their last one... It's one of the more original album of theirs IMO.

[paragraph 3]
Agreed again here. Nothing much to add except enjoy good music, be it metal or not everyone!;)

#26 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

View Postwade-newb, on 29 October 2011 - 06:31 AM, said:

[In reference to paragraph 1]
I agree with most of that. I like a wide range of genres outside metal, and get weird looks from my supposedly metalhead friends when I try show how good Loreena Mckennitt is. The metal culture as a whole needs more musical tolerance, which I think it does have with many of it's listeners, but there is still an ignorant majority.

Well yes to a point. There is nothing wrong with loving other musical styles at all. Will explain a bit more below, but basically not all genres are even worth the name "music" if you ask me...

[paragraph 2]
Being the inherent Blind Guardian fanboy, I disagree completely that their last album sounds at all like their last one... It's one of the more original album of theirs IMO.

Just not a big fan of power metal. If find musically it gets boring very quickly...

[paragraph 3]
Agreed again here. Nothing much to add except enjoy good music, be it metal or not everyone!;)

Yep! Going to completely contradict my last post by saying that metal is very much the best genre in the world, and as a general rule, people who don't like it don't know how exciting and diverse it can be! You used the words "good music" up there, and I think that while good music is very much based on opinion, there has to come a point where people stand up and say "actually that music is not good and that's not opinion." This is what metalheads are very good at, but for reasons I explained before, take it too far to the point where nothing other than heavy metal (and in most cases only their very blinkered view of metal) is any good. As already discussed, this is not true. Huge jazz fan myself!
However, every now and then I catch some of the stuff that they are playing on the radio and calling "good music" or (and I still shudder to think about it) catch some of the X-Factor, in my opinion, the worst thing to ever happen to music... This is not good music. 99% of the stuff they play nowadays has nothing whatsoever to do with music, and everything to do with an image and someone who is good on a computer. You don't need to be a musician to make it big in the music industry these days. You need to be a bit of a whore, and know someone who is good at marketing. Simon Cowell, despite being an arrogant and insufferable a-hole is very good at marketing and working on an image. He knows absolutely nothing about musical talent.

Anyways that's another rant over. Metal rules, and I love it!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#27 User is offline   wade 

• more interesting African Swallow of Low House PEN

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:49 PM

Well yes to a point. There is nothing wrong with loving other musical styles at all. Will explain a bit more below, but basically not all genres are even worth the name "music" if you ask me...

This. So much this. It's sometimes a little difficult to suppress the desire to ask someone "Do you actually like that?", "Yes-", "Well, it's horrible."
What they're listening to is just so horribly bad, it genuinely puts me into a state of mental abyss. And just that they're so ignorant as to reject metal without listening to it just because of the stigma attached to it.

Just not a big fan of power metal. If find musically it gets boring very quickly...

(Cue fanboyism... Forgive me, please) I really wouldn't class Blind Guardian under traditional power metal at all. I too find power metal to be a genre of repetetive tedium (tautology for effect there), but Blind Guardian, musically, are a lot more complex and branch out to other genres considerably. Like a few other bands, they're a genre unto their own almost. Have you tried to listen to them extensively, or just listened in passing?

Anyways that's another rant over. Metal rules, and I love it!

;)

#28 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:32 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 November 2011 - 04:18 PM, said:

...is not good music. 99% of the stuff they play nowadays has nothing whatsoever to do with music...

We are the 1%

Do'h

#29 User is offline   JLV 

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

Well the forum seems to be down, but I can still post here. Strange.

#30 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

Gwar guitarist found dead
http://www.avclub.co...und-dead,64555/
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#31 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

View PostOrlion, on 26 October 2011 - 01:26 AM, said:

That's great, but maybe you should stick to your own advice and stick to whatever you think the subject is (here's a hint: it's 'everything about the world's heaviest music'). A point by point response does wonders for the ego but does nothing to answer BalorgLord's question regarding which era of Pink Floyd seems to influence Anathema more (or something like that, I'm not the one claiming to be having a conversation with him :p)... kinda destroys your credibility as far as 'sticking with the subject'.

And yes, us metal fans are as dense as black holes. Deal:P

Moving on, I personall,y from the Anathema I've heard, don't see much of a Pink Floyd influence. It's there, kinda, but it isn't much of a driving force. That's not a bad thing, they recognize they owe a lot to the Floyd but at the same time work mostly with their own sound. As an example, Mago de Oz (or pretty much any Hispanic metal band) owes a lot and will claim influence by Iron Maiden... but you'll never mistake them for a Spanish version of Iron Maiden.

Wait, wait, wait, hang on! How the fuck did I turn out to be the bad guy?! I'm not the one who likes My Dying Bride (apart from one album and one song)!
Legalise drugs! And murder!

#32 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:42 PM

VH1 Classic started airing an 11 part series call Metal Evolution. The first one hour part is titled Pre-Metal. A new part will air every week on Friday evening.

#33 User is offline   I. aye 

• I.aye
  • Muahahahaha

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:34 AM

Fuckhell, i've come home: xD
to add to this whole genre debate,
-you listen to bands that "arent metal",I also listen to bands that AREN'T metal, why do you try so hard to be metal anyways?
-Yeah, a lot of metal heads/musicians are middle class/40 years old/nerds(in the no life-completely shitty sense)
-from Aborted to Zykon, there is to much awesomeness in the world for a single thread
-I kinda also feel insulted, what with all the "between Emo and Goth" and Eluveitie being subtracted from my slight patriotic identity....probably will sacrifice ya all to satan, or so...xD
ps: at non-metal heads: you're probably listening to the wrong metal bands,
at metal heads: not all music features the same guitar riffs played in the same settings....
xD

#34 User is offline   Orlion 

• Captain

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:22 PM

View PostSatan, on 12 November 2011 - 10:39 AM, said:

View PostOrlion, on 26 October 2011 - 01:26 AM, said:

That's great, but maybe you should stick to your own advice and stick to whatever you think the subject is (here's a hint: it's 'everything about the world's heaviest music'). A point by point response does wonders for the ego but does nothing to answer BalorgLord's question regarding which era of Pink Floyd seems to influence Anathema more (or something like that, I'm not the one claiming to be having a conversation with him :p)... kinda destroys your credibility as far as 'sticking with the subject'.

And yes, us metal fans are as dense as black holes. Deal:P

Moving on, I personall,y from the Anathema I've heard, don't see much of a Pink Floyd influence. It's there, kinda, but it isn't much of a driving force. That's not a bad thing, they recognize they owe a lot to the Floyd but at the same time work mostly with their own sound. As an example, Mago de Oz (or pretty much any Hispanic metal band) owes a lot and will claim influence by Iron Maiden... but you'll never mistake them for a Spanish version of Iron Maiden.

Wait, wait, wait, hang on! How the fuck did I turn out to be the bad guy?! I'm not the one who likes My Dying Bride (apart from one album and one song)!
Would you eat a cake with one half a cockroach in it? Would a guy be good who likes only one My Dying Bride song? :p

#35 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:22 PM

View PostI. aye, on 13 November 2011 - 01:34 AM, said:

ps: at non-metal heads: you're probably listening to the wrong metal bands,

Aye, it's not like there aren't a whole legion of bands to choose from... The Metal Archives
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#36 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

A little old school metal news.

Ozzy to re-join Black Sabbath and release new album in 2012.

the original lineup — Ozzy Osbourne, Geezer Butler, Bill Ward, and Tony Iommi — will be getting back together for a new album and tour in 2012. They’ll play the 2012 Download Festival, with more details forthcoming.

This particular reunion has been a long time coming — it will be the first time that combination has recorded together since the release of 1978′s Never Say Die!, though they have been on stage together a bunch since Osbourne’s initial departure. But ever since a one-off show way back in December 1997, there have been a number of derailments that have kept Black Sabbath from being together full time.

Taken from:
My linhttp://music-mix.ew.com/2011/11/14/black-sabbath-reunion-2012/k

Personally, I think this is coming too late. Instead of :p , I'm more :p .
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#37 User is offline   Orlion 

• Captain

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 14 November 2011 - 07:53 PM, said:

A little old school metal news.

Ozzy to re-join Black Sabbath and release new album in 2012.

the original lineup — Ozzy Osbourne, Geezer Butler, Bill Ward, and Tony Iommi — will be getting back together for a new album and tour in 2012. They'll play the 2012 Download Festival, with more details forthcoming.

This particular reunion has been a long time coming — it will be the first time that combination has recorded together since the release of 1978′s Never Say Die!, though they have been on stage together a bunch since Osbourne's initial departure. But ever since a one-off show way back in December 1997, there have been a number of derailments that have kept Black Sabbath from being together full time.

Taken from:
My linhttp://music-mix.ew.com/2011/11/14/black-sabbath-reunion-2012/k

Personally, I think this is coming too late. Instead of :p , I'm more :p .

If nothing else, it'll be a chance for the younger fans to see the original line-up in concert. I too do not think their latest effort will be 'spectacular'. They've been apart for so long and have changed so much, I'm not sure they could work well together.

That said, I'm always willing to be proven wrong in this point.

#38 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

Anyways I think this thread needs some recommendations. Band I really got into after seeing them live a couple of days ago: Chthonic!

Also, the bassist is quite hawt...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#39 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

heh... Slayer's concert rider
Posted Image

#40 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:06 AM

-double post

- - -- - - -
Dave Lombardo still dominates the drums.

- - - - - - +

Megadeth - Holy Wars

Share this topic:

• 39 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users