• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The metal thread For everything about the worlds heaviest music

#121 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:59 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 30 July 2015 - 09:40 PM, said:

Man, considering their age those Maiden dudes have some serious energy in their live shows...

Thats what first got me into them. I was watching a Maiden concert on Youtube with afriend. He was heavily into the performing arts. And he told me they really know how to balance theatre and music.

#122 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:01 AM

And Loki don't let your kid hear Maiden yet. I mean there is always a chance that the Kindergarten teacher will say 6 only to hear the number of the beast yelled back enthusiastically

#123 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:23 AM

View PostAndorion, on 31 July 2015 - 01:59 AM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 30 July 2015 - 09:40 PM, said:

Man, considering their age those Maiden dudes have some serious energy in their live shows...

Thats what first got me into them. I was watching a Maiden concert on Youtube with afriend. He was heavily into the performing arts. And he told me they really know how to balance theatre and music.

I've only seen them live once but it definitely was a superb piece of performance, display and theatrical brilliance.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#124 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:19 PM

View PostAndorion, on 31 July 2015 - 02:01 AM, said:

And Loki don't let your kid hear Maiden yet. I mean there is always a chance that the Kindergarten teacher will say 6 only to hear the number of the beast yelled back enthusiastically

that sounds epic.

So my brother randomly left a dreamtheater live performance on my computer opened up. It was quite good, Ill have to start exploring them more, as well as TSO

The most recent band i discovered was therion, really like their operatic style vocals

This post has been edited by BalrogLord: 31 July 2015 - 12:20 PM

#125 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:06 PM

View PostBalrogLord, on 31 July 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

that sounds epic.

So my brother randomly left a dreamtheater live performance on my computer opened up. It was quite good, Ill have to start exploring them more, as well as TSO

The most recent band i discovered was therion, really like their operatic style vocals

You can make a fortune in lies.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#126 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:32 PM

View PostBalrogLord, on 31 July 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

that sounds epic.

Dream Theater is absolutely awesome. Definitely worth listening to

#127 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:20 PM

Eh. Been a Dream Theater fan for over a decade now. This is going to sound lame and old mannish but seriously Dream Theater are poo these days. The last few albums have been pretty terrible (though the song "The Count of Tuscanny" is bleeding marvelous if only for the 6 minute outro...)

If you want to check them out I suggest a few things:

1) Check out Images and Words. It is a seminal piece in their discography and is a great starting point.

2) Get Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory and listen to it non stop. Like, incessantly. It is a shining example of a great concept album and a generally fantastic prog album. I could rant for ages about it but you need to experience it yourself. Also watch the live performance of the album to see how masterful they are at what they do. (It's called Metropolis 2000: Scenes from New York if you want to buy the DVD.)

3) Get Train of Thought. It is by far their most heavy, aggressive and punishing album. There is a lot of raw emotion on there and it has some sublime tracks (especially Honor thy Father imo.)

4) Get A Change of Seasons. The long title track is just impressive and the covers they do are great (particularly the cover of the Elton John song "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding")

5) See them live if you can. I've seen them 3 times and there is no doubting their musical mastery. It's just they got very boring and stopped trying out new stuff.

After that, Spotify anything else that piques your interest as there are some decent songs out there even if the albums themselves aren't up to scratch. More recent albums have been difficult to get through as they are just rehashing stuff and throwing in 10 minute long guitar solo's for the sake of it.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#128 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:30 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 31 July 2015 - 10:20 PM, said:

Eh. Been a Dream Theater fan for over a decade now. This is going to sound lame and old mannish but seriously Dream Theater are poo these days. The last few albums have been pretty terrible (though the song "The Count of Tuscanny" is bleeding marvelous if only for the 6 minute outro...)

If you want to check them out I suggest a few things:

1) Check out Images and Words. It is a seminal piece in their discography and is a great starting point.

2) Get Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory and listen to it non stop. Like, incessantly. It is a shining example of a great concept album and a generally fantastic prog album. I could rant for ages about it but you need to experience it yourself. Also watch the live performance of the album to see how masterful they are at what they do. (It's called Metropolis 2000: Scenes from New York if you want to buy the DVD.)

3) Get Train of Thought. It is by far their most heavy, aggressive and punishing album. There is a lot of raw emotion on there and it has some sublime tracks (especially Honor thy Father imo.)

4) Get A Change of Seasons. The long title track is just impressive and the covers they do are great (particularly the cover of the Elton John song "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding")

5) See them live if you can. I've seen them 3 times and there is no doubting their musical mastery. It's just they got very boring and stopped trying out new stuff.

After that, Spotify anything else that piques your interest as there are some decent songs out there even if the albums themselves aren't up to scratch. More recent albums have been difficult to get through as they are just rehashing stuff and throwing in 10 minute long guitar solo's for the sake of it.

listening to images and words as we speak. Good music to finish up this week's CPA assignment

#129 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:23 AM

Thoughts?

#130 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:23 AM

I feel like it tells the story of my life.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#131 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:02 AM

Whilst I'd agree that A Dramatic Turn of Events was pretty awful, their 2013 self-titled was actually really good. Full on narmy Dream Theater in the vein of Images and Words and Awake.

My top picks for them would have to be:

1) Black Clouds & Silver Linings
2) Metropolis Pt II
3) Train of Thought
4) Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (also contains my top DT pick for individual songs)
5) Images & Words

#132 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:11 AM

Come on guys. You're slacking. Get back to being kvlt and krieg

#133 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:48 AM

really enjoyed images and words

Partially through metropolis part 2, not sure how i feel about it

#134 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 03 August 2015 - 11:52 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 03 August 2015 - 11:48 AM, said:

It takes some digging. Also worth noting that it's fully a concept album; understanding the story behind it will make it clearer.

#135 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:35 PM

View PostMaark, on 03 August 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

It takes some digging. Also worth noting that it's fully a concept album; understanding the story behind it will make it clearer.

might have to lookup lyrics then. Last concept album i listened to was ages ago. Would have been operation mindcrime from queensryche

#136 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:30 AM

Wikipedia page for the album has the synopsis on it.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#137 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 04 August 2015 - 11:58 AM

I would say my favourite concept albums are probably Jeff Wayne's 'MVOTWOTW', Scar Symmetry's 'Holographic Universe', Mastodon's 'Crack the Skye' and of course anything involving Ziltoid, fetid hu-maaaaaaaaaans.

#138 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:05 PM

Don't forget Mastodon's 'Leviathan' (Moby Dick). My favourite concept albums of all time are probably Nocturnus' 'The Key' (about a cyborg who goes back in time to kill the baby Jesus) and of course Fear Factory's 'Demanufacture' (a man's struggle against machine-controlled government).

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 04 August 2015 - 12:06 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#139 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 04 August 2015 - 02:31 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 03 August 2015 - 12:35 PM, said:

View PostMaark, on 03 August 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

might have to lookup lyrics then. Last concept album i listened to was ages ago. Would have been operation mindcrime from queensryche

If I could only have one album from the 80's to listen to for the rest of my days, Operation Mindcrime would be it. Wore it out back then, and saw them do the whole thing live twice. Absolutely outstanding imo. Still fires me up today when I throw it on every now and then.

#140 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:04 PM

The Sword's Warp Riders has been my favorite concept album these past few years.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

Share this topic:

• 39 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users