• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fitness and weightlifting Lets do this you spineless wimps

#221 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

4 mile run, with my mum admittedly, so at a slow pace.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#222 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

Fatty Frookenhauer is back at the gym...

Monday - Chest and Biceps

Tuesday - 5k run (current time 28.16)

Wednesday - Back and Triceps

Thursday - Running training with Jay blahnik (awesome BTW)

Friday - Shoulders and legs

Saturday - random cardio

Sunday - death and resurrection (I'm supposed to do some stretching, but it just aint happening.

As from week commencing 23/04 I will be on the p90x training regime and diet as I have a target of a 6 pack by summer.
souls are for wimps

#223 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

frookenhauer, on 11 April 2012 - 11:05 AM, said:

As from week commencing 23/04 I will be on the p90x training regime and diet as I have a target of a 6 pack by summer.

Just a warning if you havent done it before. Don't go into it thinking the Yoga day will be easy. Posted Image Like i did.

It is, by far, the worst. and lasts about an hour and a half.

But it is a damn good workout.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#224 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

I will take note...Ive done the 'test' and I fell short on the pullups due to my, erm, excess bodyweight :p

One thing I'm going to miss from my current setup is the 5k, i just love running these days. I realise that I can do doubles, but seriously, the p90x is a mental program so i dont think I'll be able to fit it all in and live.

Thanks for the heads up dude
souls are for wimps

#225 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Been doing heavy rope workouts for about 10 minutes at the end of my total body workouts the last couple weeks.

Shit....is....awesome.

You feel like your heart, lungs and shoulders are fighting to see who's going to explode first when your finished.

#226 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

Just did a 4.4 mile run in 40 mins for this, which I dont think is too bad considering I've not really done long distance running before.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#227 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Good luck with the fun run cyphon. I'll donate...

I was reading an article on caffeine and training. Apparently if you chew caffeine gum just before whatever it is you are doing it gives you a decent boost to your system. shaving minutes off distance events...I'm sold :( It also allows for stronger contraction which might mean more weight/reps when weight training.

Their target is 300mg caffeine content. I cant get a hold of any gum so I'm doing a 5k tonight with proplus at 20 minute intervals from an hour before the run. I'll let you know what the results are tomorrow or on the same day if I'm afflicted with insomnia ;)

Here's the article Linky
souls are for wimps

#228 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:15 PM

They also tested that on "highly trained" athletes. Not regular schmoes like you Frook. Posted Image

Plus, the gum works because it hits your system so much faster than tablets, so using proplus there will be a delay before it hits your system since they're tablets. So if your gonna try it, you might have to take them sooner.

Stay classy.

#229 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

Okay Proplus...there were pluses and minuses to the experiment ^_^

My original time for 5k was 28 minutes and 17 seconds which was done last tuesday. I took 2 proplus 40 minutes and 10 minutes before starting my run for a total of 200mg of caffeine. I did plenty of warmup and started the run itself close to midnight as I worked late...

Good news - Felt really energised (buzzing is probably the best way to describe it) and my new time is 27 minutes 23 seconds. w00t!

Bad news - I was still up at 5am this morning

Verdict - not bad at all, i reckon it gave me 30 seconds and I did the rest. Practically a minute shaved off my time is awesome after only one week

However, I will not double-double drop proplus ever again as I was already buzzing after the 1st 2...And will probable not be doing it after 9pm

Now I need to trawl the internet for the gum and give that a go.
souls are for wimps

#230 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

I just drink a few cups of coffee before going to the gym, no need for all those fancy inventions imo!

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#231 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:17 PM

Hit one of my major weight goals this morning. Down to 239 from 268 in January. Broke under the 240 mark for the first time since high school.

About 6-10 more pounds then i'll start concentrating on adding mass again.

If any of you are trying to lose weight and haven't tried intermittent fasting, I highly recommend you look it up.

Todays workout. Interval training.

Overhead Press/Pullups/Squats 3X6

Box Jumps/Heavy Rope/Kettlebell 3x

A bunch of other little stuff ending with 10 minutes of core.

Oh, and of course i celebrated with some bacon.

#232 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

Slow Ben, on 17 April 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

They also tested that on "highly trained" athletes. Not regular schmoes like you Frook. Posted Image

Plus, the gum works because it hits your system so much faster than tablets, so using proplus there will be a delay before it hits your system since they're tablets. So if your gonna try it, you might have to take them sooner.

Stay classy.

The classic of drinking a cheap can of energy drink on your way to the gym is tried and tested ^_^

#233 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

Slow Ben - I just watched some vids of the heavy ropes and it looks pretty immense, I might pop down to the hardware store and set some up in the back garden. How long did it take you to drop the 29lbs?

BTW, when are you guys going to admit that working on kilos is waaaaay better.

1 liter of water = 1kg = 1000g
1000 meters = 1km

etc etc ad brillianum

Sindriss, coffee aint going to help you:

"Studies show that consuming 140 to 400 mg of caffeine 30 to 60 minutes prior to exercise can improve both speed and endurance and make your workout seem easier. But to achieve those effects, researchers have used either caffeine pills or caffeinated soda. The reason: "Many other chemical compounds in coffee appear to counteract caffeine's ability to impact your exercise session,"
Linky

Spider Tiam - Soda is great, unfortunately it's not for me as I need to loose at least 10-15Kg (probably more) of body fat

eeek! 4 days to go till I get on the p90x. I am both excited and scared.

This post has been edited by frookenhauer: 19 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

souls are for wimps

#234 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

OK, I have decided to put pressure on myself by admitting my appalling weight here as I attempt to get down to a decent weight for the summer and beyond (the goal is really to lose weight, ie THE GUT, and be in some sort of respectable condition for preseason training at the end of JULY).

Despite my excessive weight I managed to play soccer at a pretty high level until last month, so i wasn't overly bothered, but now that the season is over and training has stopped, I need motivation. Hopefully my bike will be back in action soon (this week), and my dislocated shoulder is slowly recovering so i might be able to do proper weights soon.

My initial aim is to do mostly body weight exercises, since i have no gym equipment at home and i can't afford a gym membership at the moment. So it'll be sit-up and push-up regimes initially with some cycling for cardio to spare my poor decrepit joints.

So present measurements
Height 170cm - 5ft 7in
Weight 95kgs!!!!!!! That's approx 15stone for people over here, and 215 pounds for our North American brethren.
Short and stocky is the usual description people give for me ^_^

I'm hoping to get down to about 85kgs to begin with, and then see if I can comfortably lose more. So, no more soft drinks or crisps (chips for the americans) for the foreseeable future.

Fingers crossed

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#235 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

You may not be able to afford a gym membership but at least buy a cheap pull up bar that can hang from your door frame. Pull-ups will make you strong.

Take two strong chairs and use their backs as dip handles and do dips instead of push-ups, they will do much more for your chest and triceps than pull-ups ever will.

Buy a cheap sandbag like sack, maybe from a army surplus or something like that, fill it with 50 kilos of sand or dirt. Lift it off the ground again and again. Put it on your back and squat it over and over. Drag it across the yard or your apartment or what ever for a mile then back again.

This will build the muscles that will help you burn the fat easier. Also you'll look better in the mirror.

In other news my own weightloss campaign is going well.

I suck at diets so I just starve myself for a week at a time now and again and shed a 10 pounds in one go.

Now down to 83 kilos from back in september when I weighed around 99-100 kilos. Considering that I must also have put on around 5 kilos of muscle mass since then, I am quite pleased. Still need to lose at least 5 kilos though. These love handles are stubborn.

#236 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

Binder of Demons, on 23 April 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

OK, I have decided to put pressure on myself by admitting my appalling weight here as I attempt to get down to a decent weight for the summer and beyond (the goal is really to lose weight, ie THE GUT, and be in some sort of respectable condition for preseason training at the end of JULY).

Despite my excessive weight I managed to play soccer at a pretty high level until last month, so i wasn't overly bothered, but now that the season is over and training has stopped, I need motivation. Hopefully my bike will be back in action soon (this week), and my dislocated shoulder is slowly recovering so i might be able to do proper weights soon.

My initial aim is to do mostly body weight exercises, since i have no gym equipment at home and i can't afford a gym membership at the moment. So it'll be sit-up and push-up regimes initially with some cycling for cardio to spare my poor decrepit joints.

So present measurements
Height 170cm - 5ft 7in
Weight 95kgs!!!!!!! That's approx 15stone for people over here, and 215 pounds for our North American brethren.
Short and stocky is the usual description people give for me ^_^

I'm hoping to get down to about 85kgs to begin with, and then see if I can comfortably lose more. So, no more soft drinks or crisps (chips for the americans) for the foreseeable future.

Fingers crossed

Your the same weight as me but im a bit taller. When doing press ups quality not quantity is important. DOnt simply try and do as many as you can. Get 20 good ones with solid technique for injury prevention. Make sure your palms are flat ( iused to do press ups on my fists for years ill get to that now) and your fingers are splayed slightly outward. If you keep your fingers straight during the motion it turns inward and you get a level of internal rotation which promotes shoulder injury. Soft tissue work will also help recovery. Im not explaining it very well but this may help

http://www.70sbig.co...ernal-rotation/

#237 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

Cheers guys for the additional pointers.

@ APT - I haven't done Dips in ages, but i remember them being a really good workout, so I'll have to see about doing them (provided i have 2 chairs sturdy enough!!)

Also, I'll be in town today so i might see about one of those door-frame pull up bars as well. Pullups are the absolute bane of my life, I just can't do them. But, I guess I can gradually build them up too.

I found a fairly straightforward training programme to work up to doing 100 consecutive push-ups, so I've started into that. Nice gradual build-up over a 2 month period, so even i should be able to stick with it. But I figure I could modify the system for building up my pull-up totals as well (much lower reps though).

I have to say though, the gut is the thing i really want to deal with the most, as well as being able to play soccer for at least one more season. So no escaping the running eventually, as well as drastically improving my diet.

@ Tiam - I'll have a look at those vids later when i have a decent internet connection. As i said above, I've started into the push-ups, and I am trying to concentrate on good form. It's ok so far, since the numbers per set are still low, so i can manage it fine. I'd prefer to be able to do 50 push-ups with rock solid technique, than 100 with a fast wobbly technique. So slow and steady is where it's at for now.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#238 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

Yeah, Pull-ups are a bitch to get into. I've been training for almost 9 months now and I've just passed 10 pull-ups with strict form. Soon, soon I shall add weights and then I will turn into a Greek god.

You should look into youtube videos for good body exercises and programmes. Also read up on "Convict-conditioning".

#239 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

Off to the gym.

It's triceps and back for me

FEEL THE BURN!
souls are for wimps

#240 User is offline   JLV 

• Stoned Swallow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:03 AM

Strained something in my neck today. Think it was straining too hard while deadlifting. Nothing major, I rubbed it out and it'll probably stop hurting by tomorrow.

Share this topic:

• 35 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

52 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 52 guests, 0 anonymous users