• You cannot reply to this topic

Fitness and weightlifting Lets do this you spineless wimps

#261 User is offline   Sixty 

• Don't be fooled. I am very serious.
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

Cocoreturns, on 22 August 2012 - 03:04 PM, said:

Sixty, on 07 August 2012 - 02:14 AM, said:

By the way, is there a reason why you're squatting for such high volume? I'm not sure what your goals are, but most people find 3-5 rep sets work better for building strength on their squats.

Fair question, easily answered - all my weight training is supplementary.

You're doing competition lifting, so you presumably train in cycles for peaking in single lifts at competition time.

I'm training as a supplement to my martial arts stuff, so I find high volume repetition at mid-high weights is much more useful for functional strength that carries over well into my sparring/striking/grappling.

Granted there are plenty of people who disagree with me, but I truly find grinding out stupid reps helps me personally, so fuck em! :)

Ah, I see. I like hitting the big weights--and for explosive lifts they get so mental I'll sometimes lose my focus partway through even a triple.

What kind of martial arts do you do? I want to learn some sort of martial art in the next couple years, when my competition schedule / goals allow.

But if you want to lift high volume, have you ever tried 20 rep squats? People tell me you start seeing stars halfway through a heavy set, and you meet jesus on your last rep. You could become like this guy:

Fuckin balls of steel right there.

@JLV: Get something cheap and calorie-dense if you want to bulk, then. Milk, peanut butter, that kind of sutff.

#262 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:02 AM

First of all, badass.
Second, looks like a good way to seriously f'ing hurt yourself to me.
His form is shit on the last half. Which for him he can get away with because his lower back is extremely strong. But if any normal yahoo tried that they'd be lucky not to seriously jack something up down there.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#263 User is offline   Sixty 

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:21 AM

His technique is fine, every rep is 3 white lights. 1RM or 3RM attempts look about as ugly in my experience. But yeah, I definitely wouldn't advise 20 rep squats that heavy. The common advice is to take your 10RM and attempt 20 with it, or to take your 5RM, drop 20-30lb, and work from there.

#264 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:32 AM

No, all that's fine, your right. But whenyou lean forward like that, before coming up, and put the pressure on your lower back instead of your hips, it's not fine. It's a good way to get hurt. At least for normal people and not a machine like him.

#265 User is offline   Sixty 

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:44 AM

Yeah my balls aren't big enough to try it. It's something to work up to, and besides, normal people aren't nuts enough to try that anyway, only serious lifters.

#266 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

Bench night (and what a night it was for me):

some warm ups at 20,40,60,80,90 and then;
1 @ 100 PB
4 @ 87.5 PB
12 @ 75 PB
5 * 10 @ 55 (might be a set/volume PB now that I think about it)

some other incidental stuff.
Very pleased with the single, previous PB was 95, was considering doing 97.5 tonight but the guy before me in the group did 110 for reps and I just said take the 10 off and i'll have a go.

Damn happy :rolleyes:
meh. Link was dead :(

#267 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:38 PM

I cycle at least 16 miles most every day. Crashed hard this morning avoiding another cyclist at an odd junction and ripped up my knee pretty bad. Bummed.

#268 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

Malaclypse, on 30 August 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

I cycle at least 16 miles most every day. Crashed hard this morning avoiding another cyclist at an odd junction and ripped up my knee pretty bad. Bummed.

Damn. Been to the doc's? or just going to keep going while the leg gets gangrenous, eventually rots off, the whole time shrugging it off whilst saying "Meh, had worse"?

#269 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

Cocoreturns, on 30 August 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

Malaclypse, on 30 August 2012 - 09:38 PM, said:

Damn. Been to the doc's? or just going to keep going while the leg gets gangrenous, eventually rots off, the whole time shrugging it off whilst saying "Meh, had worse"?

I have had worse, many times. Don't see why gangrene is more likely in this case - anyway, I avoid doctors, GPs anyway - being that they are essentially the bottom of the class.

Why you trying to scare me into seeing a doctor?

#270 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 31 August 2012 - 03:05 AM

Its reverse psychology
He wants your leg to fall off

#271 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

Just made myself some gymnastics rings out of 1" PVC. Filled two 24" lengths of 1" PVC with play sand, tamped it, duct-taped it closed, (there's twine through it as well) baked it at 350 degrees for 8 minutes, bent it around a paint can and tied the twine together. Figure-eighted some webbing through them, tied four caribiners on for different levels, Eye bolts in the ceiling and on the walls. Nows I gots me some rings in my garage - hell yeah.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#272 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

Thats awesome man. Love me some bodyweight training.

Got 10 lbs closer to my goal of Deadlifting 400 by November 1st. 365 down.

#273 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

Deadlifts for me this morning.

been dicking around with volume on these too of late.

did 5 sets of 10 at 120.

Or 5 sets of 10 at 264 if you're a yank reading this ;)

#274 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

Bought two 35lb kettlebells this morning. Did a routine off youtube and I'm already feeling it. Since I'm a stay at home dad I have little time to workout so I'm kind of getting into the whole Crossfit thing, but not extreme like they seem to do. Anyway, making my own workouts. Yesterday started with 3lb weighted shadow-boxing for 7 minutes followed by 7 rounds of 7 reps of ring push ups, ring rows, burpees, stacked push ups, 95lb thrusters, weighted squats, and toe touches........I made it through 3.5 rounds before I had to quit or my heart was going to explode.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#275 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:01 AM

Baco, what are your rough goals for the beginning stages of this and the goals for the end stages of your "fitness challenge"? Got a sport in mind, weight loss, health reasons, to look good in a swimsuit or some amalgamation of the above and more/less?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#276 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:45 AM

coco, are you remembering to do your squats explosively so that you train that as well?

For me personally, I found it a great addition to martial arts to do both high range squats as you do and high strenght squats with few repetitions. To get the best of both - however, it is freaking exhausting so fair warning if you wanne try it :)

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#277 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

amphibian, on 16 September 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:

Baco, what are your rough goals for the beginning stages of this and the goals for the end stages of your "fitness challenge"? Got a sport in mind, weight loss, health reasons, to look good in a swimsuit or some amalgamation of the above and more/less?

Basically, I just need to fit into my pants for the winter and I'd like to find a sustainable exercise routine so I can stay fit i.e. look good. I tend to go hard core, get really fit, and then quit for a couple of years and get fat, which is where I'm at right now. Last time, I dropped 60 lbs in about 3 months, now I need to drop 20 - 30. I'm tired of seesawing so I'm going to find a fun regiment that I can keep with. I'm going to bodybuild one week, p90x another, crossfit another, fitdeck another, and so on, always mixing it up. Since I'm a stay at home dad, I'm sort of limited but I do have p90x, p90x2, the Pit, Savage and Serene, and some yoga dvds to do while my girls nap.

#278 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

Sindriss, on 16 September 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

coco, are you remembering to do your squats explosively so that you train that as well?

For me personally, I found it a great addition to martial arts to do both high range squats as you do and high strenght squats with few repetitions. To get the best of both - however, it is freaking exhausting so fair warning if you wanne try it :)

i do my weight training with some competition powerlifting friends of mine, so they pretty much drive me to be explosive :D

Did some heavy deadlifts yesterday, worked up to a single at 160 kilos,

then a back off set of 12 @ 120 kilos (that was a grind - gasping for air after it :p )

#279 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

Great job with the DL !

I am really missing out currently, as my company stationed me in China for a 8 month rotation. So my training center is in the bottom of the hotel and it sucks! No leg exercise possible at all, besides what I can do with running etc. But when I get back at ultimo December, I will trash my legs!

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#280 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:49 PM

Sindriss, on 16 September 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

Great job with the DL !

I am really missing out currently, as my company stationed me in China for a 8 month rotation. So my training center is in the bottom of the hotel and it sucks! No leg exercise possible at all, besides what I can do with running etc. But when I get back at ultimo December, I will trash my legs!

Is there a real gym around? The Chinese Olympic team is the level best in the world in terms of technique and raw power (and PEDs too). There's gotta be some ex-competitive weightlifters floating around and willing to teach/let you use the gym for relatively cheap. Look around! You could be getting a very, very unique experience if you get some luck and gumption going.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 35 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

18 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users