Back today.

3 Sets of lat pull downs (wide grip) 8-10 reps @ 140lbs, 180lbs, 220lbs
4 Sets of dead lift 8-10 reps @ 225lbs, 315lbs, 365lbs
3 Sets of bent over row 8-10 reps @ 135lbs, 145lbs, 155lbs
3 Sets of straight arm pull down 8-10 reps @ 60lbs, 75lbs, 85lbs
3 Sets of seated cable row (close grip) 8-10 reps @ 120lbs, 160lbs, 180lbs
3 Sets of bent over single arm dumbbell row 8-10 reps @ 85lbs, 95lbs, 105lbs
3 Sets of wide grip pull ups until failure

That's it. Lost my form on one of my deadlift sets and tweaked my lower back a little. Couldn't manage to do hyper extensions today because of it. Form form form I suppose.

... And I feel like a bit of a tosser since I'm the only one actively posting my workouts lol

This post has been edited by Assail: 16 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

I still heart Goodkind.

#342 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostAssail, on 16 April 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

... And I feel like a bit of a tosser since I'm the only one actively posting my workouts lol

Scan upthread dude, believe me I know the feeling.......
meh. Link was dead :(

#343 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

View PostCocoreturns, on 16 April 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

View PostAssail, on 16 April 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

Scan upthread dude, believe me I know the feeling.......

You and I, we'll do this together Coco hahahaha
I still heart Goodkind.

#344 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Squat night:

120 (264) * 3 felt good so:
130 (286) * 1,
140 (308) * 1 (PB and broke the 300lb barrier)
120 (264) * 10 (Also a PB)

62.5 (137.5) * 10 for five sets Boring but Big.

Weighted chins BW + 10 *5, 3 sets.

And a clean of 60 kilos after someone failed a front squat and i wanted it re-racked.

for comparison purposes, i'm sitting at about 170 lbs in weight at present.

#345 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

OK so I don't have access to any hardware right now (if I pass my practical exam for the job I'll get free gym access twice a week, mind you) but I'm just doing some pushups now and then. I started just about 4 weeks ago, could do only 20 in a set without falling on my face, and just two sets in an hour. Now I can do three sets of 30, and it's actually fairly exhausting. Planning to go up to three sets of 50 morning and evening. Not sure of the timeframe, but maybe by the end of May is probable? Yeah, let's make that a goal.

From then on (and if I have some funds to spare), I'm planning to buy one of those bars you can stick in a doorway and do regular pullups.

What do you guys think of the effectiveness of those excercises?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#346 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

View PostCocoreturns, on 16 April 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

Squat night:

120 (264) * 3 felt good so:
130 (286) * 1,
140 (308) * 1 (PB and broke the 300lb barrier)
120 (264) * 10 (Also a PB)

62.5 (137.5) * 10 for five sets Boring but Big.

Weighted chins BW + 10 *5, 3 sets.

And a clean of 60 kilos after someone failed a front squat and i wanted it re-racked.

for comparison purposes, i'm sitting at about 170 lbs in weight at present.

Solid leg workout man. How do you usually break up your workouts? You're doing squats here, but you're throwing in chin ups as well?

Shoulders/Triceps today for me

4 Sets arnold press 8-10 reps @ 60lbs, 65lbs, 70lbs, 70lbs
3 Sets upright row supersetted w/ lateral raises 8-10 reps each @ 135lbs [25lbs lat raise], 135lbs [30lbs lat raise], 135lbs [35lbs lat raise]
3 Sets front raises 8-10 reps @ 30lbs, 35lbs, 40lbs
3 Sets lying rear delt raise 8-10 reps @ 20lbs, 25lbs, 25lbs

Triceps

3 Sets close grip bench press 8-10 reps @ 135lbs, 145lbs, 155lbs
4 Sets pull downs 8-10 reps @ 65lbs, 80lbs, 85lbs, 85lbs
3 Sets overhead cable tricep extension 8-10 reps @ 70lbs, 80lbs, 90lbs
3 Sets single arm cable tricep pull down 8-10 reps @ 15lbs, 25lbs, 30lbs
3 Sets of tricep dip (Elbows less flared and not leaning forward so as to target tricep rather than chest) 12 reps @ bodyweight

Usually I'd do some skull crushers in there with dumbbells but I lost a lot of ROM since my shoulder surgery and I can't manage that much stress on my shoulder. Usually if I do try to incorporate them I do so by lying down with an EZ curl bar.
I still heart Goodkind.

#347 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

View PostGothos, on 16 April 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

OK so I don't have access to any hardware right now (if I pass my practical exam for the job I'll get free gym access twice a week, mind you) but I'm just doing some pushups now and then. I started just about 4 weeks ago, could do only 20 in a set without falling on my face, and just two sets in an hour. Now I can do three sets of 30, and it's actually fairly exhausting. Planning to go up to three sets of 50 morning and evening. Not sure of the timeframe, but maybe by the end of May is probable? Yeah, let's make that a goal.

From then on (and if I have some funds to spare), I'm planning to buy one of those bars you can stick in a doorway and do regular pullups.

What do you guys think of the effectiveness of those excercises?

Well if you're just interested in general fitness and keeping your muscles from atrophying, then those are some great workouts. If your form is perfect with your push ups, you'll be working your core and lower back as well as your triceps, shoulders and chest. Pull ups are awesome for you. Hands down. Everything about them is great. They engage your arms, your back (One of the largest muscles in your body to be general) and they're just an awesome workout.

Concerning your progress as to how many push ups you'll be able to do by the end of May, it all depends. If you're hydrating properly and eating correctly, your body is going to build muscle and get itself used to working in those ways. It's possible by the end of May, and it also might not be. Everyone is different physiologically. If you've ever been actively into fitness and strengthening exercises, your body will rebound quickly and you'll be just fine I would imagine. I would recommend switching up the way you do your push ups, so your body doesn't get so used to doing the same exercises. i.e. try doing sets of explosive push ups (As you come up, come off the ground and clap), or do decline push up sets (Feet raised up on a chair or bench) or diamond push ups (Hands forming a diamond, works your triceps more), or pause reps (Do one, go half way down and hold for 10 seconds, then continue and do this every other rep). Switch up your sets like that and it'll stimulate more growth. You don't want your body getting used to the same workouts, because your body is proactive. What I mean by that is that it seeks to make the things you do easier. So for a time you'll build muscle, get stronger, and make progress with push ups, but when it starts getting easy for your body to handle, it will stop stimulating that growth because it's so used to doing that motion, and you'll find you'll hit a plateau. To be succinct, be proactive yourself, switch it up and keep it different.

When you start doing pull ups I would recommend doing them over hand (Palms facing away from you). They'll most likely be a little more difficult at first, but doing it this way engages your back more than your biceps, which is what you want (I think :)). When I first started doing pull ups I was managing 3 I think. It's been four years since then and now I think my max is something in the 40s range... I know it was 45 about a year ago, it might be less now. Anyway, the way I went about it was doing a pyramid workout, and this can work well with your push ups as well. It went like this.

1 pull ups - 10 pushups
2 pull ups - 10 pushups
3 pull ups - 10 pushups
4 pull ups - 10 pushups
5 pull ups - 10 pushups
4 pull ups - 10 pushups
3 pull ups - 10 pushups
2 pull ups - 10 pushups
1 pull ups - 10 pushups

If you need a hand, have someone push on your lower back and help you get your reps, or kip a little, it won't hurt you as far as things go. As you get stronger, switch it up some more, do a pyramid set starting at 3 pull ups going to 7 pull ups and back down with 15 or 20 pushups in between, when you're comfortable, try getting a belt and adding some weight, or holding a dumbbell between your feet as you do it. However you want really.

Hope that stuff helped mate.

This post has been edited by Assail: 16 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

I still heart Goodkind.

#348 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

all the lifting i do is secondary to the martial arts stuff to be honest Assail.

my weightlifting routine tends to be:

Tuesday: squat as main lift, other stuff if i feel like it.

Thursday: running, followed by cleans as main lift, other stuff if i feel like it.

Saturday: deadlifts as main lift, other stuff (usually paused squats or similar)

the guys i weight train with are powerlifters, so I just tend to work in with them, and they tend to train around the three powerlifter lifts (I do cleans on their bench day since my shoulder was popped last year).

I'm training purely for strength/endurance and not for physique though, so don't do as much in the way of supplemental lifting.

Monday and Wednesday i teach m.a., and Friday is sparring night - two hours of joy and fun :)

#349 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:48 AM

View PostCocoreturns, on 16 April 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

all the lifting i do is secondary to the martial arts stuff to be honest Assail.

my weightlifting routine tends to be:

Tuesday: squat as main lift, other stuff if i feel like it.

Thursday: running, followed by cleans as main lift, other stuff if i feel like it.

Saturday: deadlifts as main lift, other stuff (usually paused squats or similar)

the guys i weight train with are powerlifters, so I just tend to work in with them, and they tend to train around the three powerlifter lifts (I do cleans on their bench day since my shoulder was popped last year).

I'm training purely for strength/endurance and not for physique though, so don't do as much in the way of supplemental lifting.

Monday and Wednesday i teach m.a., and Friday is sparring night - two hours of joy and fun :lol:

Understandable. Different goals, different workouts.

Had my full body day today, usually involves dead lifts, squat, clean and jerk, and weighted pull ups. Hurt my lower back the other day when I fucked up my form, so I decided to switch it up a little bit today.

5 Sets of weight pull ups 8-10 reps @ 45lbs added
Tabata squats (20 seconds max body squats, 10 seconds hold engaged squat position, repeat 8 times [4 mins straight])
20 mins eliptical 135-145 heart rate
20 mins bike 135-145 heart rate

Took a lot of the strain off my lower back and was a pretty cardio intensive day. Still hit my legs a little, just wasn't as intense as it usually is. Rest day tomorrow.
I still heart Goodkind.

#350 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:37 AM

Assail said:

1366249703[/url]' post='1049910']

Hurt my lower back the other day when I fucked up my form

I did that about 6 months ago doing heavy deficit deads. Just let those shoulders slope forward for a second and all the pressure shifts to the lower back. Pisses me off when I do that.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#351 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:30 AM

Yeah no kidding man. The problem is that it's not just deads and squats that are affected, it's basically everything. Just waking up and shit in the morning. It's getting better but it's pushing me to slow down a bit. I get acupuncture done on my shoulders... Might see if he can put a few needles down on my lower back to see if it helps it at all.
I still heart Goodkind.

#352 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

Anyone else miss a day in the gym for whatever reasons and feel like absolute shit because you did? Hahaha
I still heart Goodkind.

#353 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostAssail, on 21 April 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

Anyone else miss a day in the gym for whatever reasons and feel like absolute shit because you did? Hahaha

All the time. It's why I usually drag my ass to the gym whenever I kind of don't want to - the endorphin rush and the teammates/workout partners make it always worth the hassle.

Even then, sometimes I do fall asleep and sleep through the window of opportunity. Right now, I'm injured enough to be told to go home and not work out though.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#354 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

yeah. Missed training yesterday because i was attending a friend's wedding. On the bright side got to wear the kilt and look classy as hell in a castle.

#355 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

View Postamphibian, on 21 April 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

View PostAssail, on 21 April 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

All the time. It's why I usually drag my ass to the gym whenever I kind of don't want to - the endorphin rush and the teammates/workout partners make it always worth the hassle.

Even then, sometimes I do fall asleep and sleep through the window of opportunity. Right now, I'm injured enough to be told to go home and not work out though.

Yeah. I went out friday night and would have been in the gym saturday but for personal drama. Pisses me off when I miss. It's all psychological but it feels like I've taken 10 steps back when it happens lol.

View PostCocoreturns, on 21 April 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

yeah. Missed training yesterday because i was attending a friend's wedding. On the bright side got to wear the kilt and look classy as hell in a castle.

Kilt + wedding in castle boosted your testosterone more than 10 days in the gym could. Bravo. Fucking bravo, sir!
I still heart Goodkind.

#356 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:03 AM

Got a diagnosis from a doctor: blood clot in lung. Yow.

#357 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:34 AM

View Postamphibian, on 22 April 2013 - 05:03 AM, said:

Jesus... that's intense. What's the treatment for something like that?
I still heart Goodkind.

#358 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

View PostAssail, on 22 April 2013 - 05:34 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 22 April 2013 - 05:03 AM, said:

Jesus... that's intense. What's the treatment for something like that?

First, anticoagulant to prevent new ones from forming. Then pain management. figuring out what the lowest level of meds I need to keep pain at five out of ten. Finally, letting the body work on it on its own.

I apparently have three in there.

#359 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

Joined a new gym today in my bid to lose the chunk.

I have hired a PT to help motivate the return to fitness. I find the stuff the guy makes me do feels exactly like paid Hell. So I assume its money well spent. The extra motivation and practiced circuits are great! Not a natural runner, the PT noted my previous enrollment in boxing and karate and wants to get me to work on endurance and core muscles. the intros a fun set of excercises.

We dove right in to weighted handle punches 15 on each hand.
Then we went in for 15 box jumps, 15 reps on each arm with a kettle ball and body ball aided lunges. MURDER! after I had to do a set of 15 with the inclined pull and finaly some steps and sit-ups.

I did this circuit 3 times on day one. was dying after set 2. now we,ve revved that up to a circuit of 4.

After all that I had a 15 minute run on the treadmill and that was the intro workout done in about 60 minutes.

been there once after, missed today due to work restraints and I really missed the rush. It does feel like I just took 10 steps back and I just started. Have to say my favourite exercise thus far is the row. clocked 500m in 2 mins on my first try! that felt good, I feel I could get into a routine with that one. wanna join an mma class as well but the bodys too stiff to allow such nonsense.

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 22 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#360 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

SKWATZ:

130 (286) * 1,
125 (275) *5,
65 (143) * 10 5 sets (i'm starting to love/hate BBB)

weighted chin ups:
+10 (22) * 8,
+10 (22) * 7.

Share this topic:

• 35 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users