Fitness and weightlifting Lets do this you spineless wimps

#361 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

View Postamphibian, on 22 April 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

View PostAssail, on 22 April 2013 - 05:34 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 22 April 2013 - 05:03 AM, said:

Got a diagnosis from a doctor: blood clot in lung. Yow.

Jesus... that's intense. What's the treatment for something like that?

First, anticoagulant to prevent new ones from forming. Then pain management. figuring out what the lowest level of meds I need to keep pain at five out of ten. Finally, letting the body work on it on its own.

I apparently have three in there.

Damn that's shitty. Not to sound like a downer but I just talked to a buddy who had blood clots in his legs and they caused permanent damage to his blood vessels and veins and shit down there, and he was on the anti-coagulants for like 6 months. I hope it works out for the best mate, that's shitty.

View PostDolmen+, on 22 April 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

Joined a new gym today in my bid to lose the chunk.

I have hired a PT to help motivate the return to fitness. I find the stuff the guy makes me do feels exactly like paid Hell. So I assume its money well spent. The extra motivation and practiced circuits are great! Not a natural runner, the PT noted my previous enrollment in boxing and karate and wants to get me to work on endurance and core muscles. the intros a fun set of excercises.

We dove right in to weighted handle punches 15 on each hand.
Then we went in for 15 box jumps, 15 reps on each arm with a kettle ball and body ball aided lunges. MURDER! after I had to do a set of 15 with the inclined pull and finaly some steps and sit-ups.

I did this circuit 3 times on day one. was dying after set 2. now we,ve revved that up to a circuit of 4.

After all that I had a 15 minute run on the treadmill and that was the intro workout done in about 60 minutes.

been there once after, missed today due to work restraints and I really missed the rush. It does feel like I just took 10 steps back and I just started. Have to say my favourite exercise thus far is the row. clocked 500m in 2 mins on my first try! that felt good, I feel I could get into a routine with that one. wanna join an mma class as well but the bodys too stiff to allow such nonsense.

This is awesome to hear man. It always feels good getting into it, the rush and endorphins is a great high. The only thing that has ever beaten it for me were the times I was in a combat situations in Afghanistan, but those hardly compare hahaha.

Body is too stiff to allow such nonsense?! No way man! It might take time, but get into yoga and stretching every day after your workouts. There's a thread in Phoenix Inn where Miss Savage gives a whole bunch of detailed stuff in regards to yoga. Doesn't matter what age, you can train yourself to become more flexible and allow yourself to get into different avenues of fitness. Check it out!

Was Shoulders/Tris for me today.

Same as the routine I've posted before, I just added some shrugs in there today and upped the weight on a couple lifts. I'm largely sticking to the same routine of Chest/Bis, Legs, Back, Shoulders/Tris, Full Body, Rest, for the next couple weeks until I start a serious bulking phase in at the beginning of May. Right now it's just getting my muscles used to lifting again and playing around with my range of motion and capabilities since my shoulder surgery.
I still heart Goodkind.

#362 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

Aight so I added knuckle pushups to the stuff I do, and let's just say the floor of my room is perfect for it. In the sense that I'm pretty sure my hands will be a mass of bruises soon. but that's good, right? that's how you harden them, right?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#363 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:45 PM

View PostGothos, on 24 April 2013 - 10:34 PM, said:

Aight so I added knuckle pushups to the stuff I do, and let's just say the floor of my room is perfect for it. In the sense that I'm pretty sure my hands will be a mass of bruises soon. but that's good, right? that's how you harden them, right?

There's a lot of ways to harder your hands, and your grip in general. Doing push ups on your knuckles is really only going to benefit you if you stay conscious about where you elbows are (You want them in tight so it targets your chest more specifically, or your stance should be extremely wide to get the stretch you may be looking for). Either way you're going to target your chest, and you don't have to be on your knuckles to accomplish that. It comes down to preference though, so if you want to do them on your knuckles, go for it. I would personally focus on switching things up in regards to incline push ups, diamond, wide, explosive etc etc. The setting of your hands is something you can figure out later, and one of the things you want to avoid doing would be going wide, getting tired and rolling your wrist out.

Just my two cents.
I still heart Goodkind.

#364 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

Actually, these I want to do to harden the knuckles so I don't burst to tears like a girl if I have to hit someone in the future.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#365 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:46 AM

View PostGothos, on 24 April 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

Actually, these I want to do to harden the knuckles so I don't burst to tears like a girl if I have to hit someone in the future.

In that regard there are better ways to build the calluses on your knuckles lol. Talk to one of the MMA guys about something like that because I honestly doubt that push ups on your knuckles are going to help with the pain of hitting someone :)
I still heart Goodkind.

#366 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

quick session:

cleans

70 (154) * 5 for 3 sets,

chins

BW+15 * 5 for 3 sets,

Now to drink and the ruination of gains!
meh. Link was dead :(

#367 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

View PostGothos, on 24 April 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

Go box. It should be very cheap, even in Poland, and you'll learn how to get strong and how not to get hurt.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#368 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:58 PM

deadlifts:

up to 160 (352) * 3 - comfortable PB, quite pleased with that. my target for year end is a single at 180 (396) so its getting there.

#369 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:14 AM

Nice deadlifts Coco. That's legit. I just finished up with shoulders/triceps today. Taking the next week off to let my lower back recover because at this point I'm unable to incorporate squats or dead lifts or any other type of exercise that involves the lower back.

I'm trying to decide what kind of routine I want to get into for my 10 weeks of bulking, and I've really struggled finding something that I think would work. Anyone on here have any suggestions as far as muscle growth and hypertrophy go? Strength will come, that's a given, but I'm trying to find a specific routine that'll focus more on hypertrophy and muscle size.
I still heart Goodkind.

#370 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:16 AM

View PostCocoreturns, on 25 April 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

quick session:

cleans

70 (154) * 5 for 3 sets,

chins

BW+15 * 5 for 3 sets,

Now to drink and the ruination of gains!

NOT THE GAINS. JESUS, NOT THE GAINS COCO!
I still heart Goodkind.

#371 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

View PostAssail, on 29 April 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

NOT THE GAINS. JESUS, NOT THE GAINS COCO!

Tuesday, Squats:

110*5, 3 sets,
67.5*10, 5 sets

Tonight, Cleans:

82.5 (181.5) * 1 PB - GAINS INTACT!

regarding your routine, if you're seriously bulking:

Smolov Squat.

But it will absolutely **** you.

Slightly easier would be Smolov Senior/Junior for squatting, with assistance added in for hypertrophy.

#372 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:21 PM

Deadlifts:

3 doubles at 165 (363), that 180 (396) is in touching distance i swear it....
130 (286) * 10 back off,

squats, paused ATG 110 (242) * 5,

Barbell rows, 80 (176) * 5, 3 sets.

#373 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

Triple post! woooooooooooo!

squats:

112.5 (247.5) *5*5
70 (154) * 10 5 sets

weighted pull ups +10 kilo *3*3

#374 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

Rarest of beasts these forum days:

the QUADRUPLE post.

aka - Do any of you b******* even lift any more?

Cleans:

72.5 (159.5)*5 3 sets

weighted chin ups:
+15 (33) * 5 4 sets, then *3 for one set.

#375 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

I'll bite Coco.

Whats the difference in doing lower reps at higher weight versus higher reps at lower reps?

For example, my gym isn't the best for weights, but it's close by so that scores majorly for me. If I'm doing Squats, I can squat 80kg at 3 sets of 8, but it's rare I can get the spot to do it like that. Whereas I can get a 40kg bar which I can self place and do 3 sets of 20 reps. To my mind that would be the same amount of total weight lifted, with a differential about moving the weight up and down. If you're muscles are moving the same exact total weight, what the difference in how you get there?
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#376 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

I'm medically barred from lifting, bro.

When asked "Do you even lift?", I regretfully have to say "No."

The difference in high weight, low reps and low weight, high reps is that high weight gets you much stronger faster, but it's harder to do. Low weight, high reps is good for form work and for building endurance.

For most people, I'd say stick with high weight, low reps with form work being done beforehand with practically no weight on the bar, one time each at two or three intermediate weights before getting to the true work range (warm-up weights).
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#377 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

What Amph said.

Although you'll still get stronger, it doesn't quite work on the whole 'total weight shifted' idea.

bigger weight = better, generally speaking.

Also, Amph, sucks about the exercise ban, but as long as you get better that's the main thing.

#378 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

I seriously, don't have fucking time. And it pisses me off. I miss dead lifting man!
And Ditto to the other two, you wanna get stronger, lift heavy shit.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#379 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

While the other fellas in here are absolutely right, you do need to lift heavier stuff, there is generally a rep set geared towards building strength.

For instance.. if you were aiming for hypertrophy, you rep ranges/sets would look something like 3x8-12 reps, possibly 4x8-12 reps if you wanted to hit that area a little harder. You would get stronger, but due to whatever physiological aspects, those rep ranges have yielded more significant hypertrophic (Not a real word but you get what I'm saying) results. Strength on the other hand has yielded better results using 5x5 rep ranges. More sets, but lower reps, which usually allows for heavier lifts. Keep that in mind when you're trying to go for a more "I want to get strong" approach, versus a "I want to look like a sexy mother fucker" look. Grain of salt etc however, you're still gonna gain size doing 5x5, but it's not the main focus. You can find plenty of testaments to all of this, and I've personally found that I've gained strength more slowly using a hypertrophy based routine vice a 5x5 set/rep range. Most people who train in power lifting either use 5x5 or 5, 3, 1 as their rep ranges.

@Slow

Deads are legit man. It's a pity you can't get after them. I've never had an experience where I don't feel better after doing them lol.

Edit: Sorry I haven't been posting Coco, been busy readjusting to civilian life. Have been hitting the gym hard. I've gained 17lbs since I've been back. It's so nice to be eating 4500cal a day, all organic and clean. Started a new Pull/Push/Legs routine and my numbers have been jumping these past 2 weeks with the good nutrition and lack of stress. I've been loving life.

Pull ( A )
Deadlifts - 4 sets x 6 reps – 10 reps
Bent over rows - 3 sets x 6 - 10 reps
Weighted pullups - 3 sets x 6 - 10 reps
Face pulls – 3 sets x 6 – 10 reps=
Barbell curls - 3 sets x 6 - 10 reps
Preacher curl – 3 sets x 6-10 reps, drop to half weight, 8 reps

Push ( B )
Flat bench press - 4 sets x 6 - 10 reps
Incline DB press - 3 sets x 6 - 10 reps (4 sets if I'm feeling froggy)
OHP - 4 sets x 6 - 10 reps
Dips - 3 sets x 6 - 10 reps
Incline cross over – 3 sets x 6 – 10 reps
Lying cable push press – 3 sets 6 – 10 reps

Legs ( C )
Squats – 3 sets x 3 - 5 reps
Lunges - 3 sets x 6 - 10 reps
SLDL - 3 sets x 6 - 10 reps
Standing calf raises - 3 sets x failure
Leg curl – 3 sets x 6 – 10 reps
Leg extension – 3 sets x 6 – 10 reps

There's the routine I originally came up with. Still tweaking it as I'm working with it. I'm doing at ABCxABCx, on my rest days I'm doing about 10 mins HIIT and some ab work.

This post has been edited by Assail: 21 May 2013 - 05:54 AM

I still heart Goodkind.

#380 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:05 AM

So, in a week i've got to do what we call the Widowmaker:

Squats, with bodyweight on the bar, for reps equal to age.

for me this will be an attempt at 80 (176) (i'm actually 78, but we split the difference) for 33 reps in one set.

Powerlifter judging on the depth.

I've taken next Wednesday off work in advance......

Share this topic:

• 35 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users