• You cannot reply to this topic

Fitness and weightlifting Lets do this you spineless wimps

#301 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

View PostCocoreturns, on 22 December 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

We set targets for the next year just now, publicly, so that we can come back to the thread this time next year and see how we did by comparison.

Purple belt by April 2013. Also able to do 10 x 5 minute grappling rounds without losing to someone b/c of exhaustion.

340-350 lb x 3 deadlift by July 2013.

20 wide arm pull-ups by July 2013.

3 miles in 19 minutes by July 2013.

200 lb overhead presses x 3 by July 2013

300 lb x 3 squat by July 2013.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#302 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

View Postamphibian, on 29 December 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

View PostCocoreturns, on 22 December 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

We set targets for the next year just now, publicly, so that we can come back to the thread this time next year and see how we did by comparison.

Purple belt by April 2013. Also able to do 10 x 5 minute grappling rounds without losing to someone b/c of exhaustion.

340-350 lb x 3 deadlift by July 2013.

20 wide arm pull-ups by July 2013.

3 miles in 19 minutes by July 2013.

200 lb overhead presses x 3 by July 2013

300 lb x 3 squat by July 2013.

Interesting mix - I'm assuming you have a comp coming up late July/early August 2013 for these particular goals to be set? If so do you have a set bodyweight as well?
meh. Link was dead :(

#303 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

I am going to compete in March and I figure it might be my last as a blue belt or perhaps my first as a purple belt.

The goals are there because I will likely move from my home now to the Midwest (Quad Cities, Iowa region). There is next to no BJJ or submission grappling out there and I will likely have to do judo or wrestling to keep things sharp. I want to be in excellent shape for when I do step into the new gym - if it's the BJJ gym I'm thinking of, I might be of equal rank to the main instructor, so I kinda want to... out do him.

Bodyweight right now is 180 at maybe 15% body fat. I figure I can get down to 170 and keep the muscle I have by July or even stay in the 175 region. From then, a drop down to the low 160s is very doable or even the high 150s for tournaments.

#304 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

Goals for the next year:

Want to get to 80kg with a lowish fat percentage. Currently at 74-72'ish I recall.

200 kg dl
120 kg benchpress

My problem is that I also wanne begin on muyi thai again. And I for sure dont have time to try to achieve both my fitness targets and martial art target of MT.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#305 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

NEW YEAR'S DAY SQUAT SESSION:

115 (253) * 3
115 (253) * 1
100 (220) * 5
100 (220) * 5
100 (220) * 5

Good times.

#306 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

100 (220) * 20 atg squat yesterday.

I'm a broken wreck of a man today.

#307 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

Damn, this thread died a death......

anyways, this week:

Tuesday:
Squats:
100(220)*10
100(220)*10
100(220)*12

Some dumbell rows,
Some cleans.

This morning:

Deadlifts:
135(297)*5 + 30 second hold at the end

Apt, you still doing stuff or what?
Amph?

Anyone?

it's lonely in here......

#308 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

I've been doing P90X routines with mma cardio intervals and some days I do the Crossfit WOD. I tweaked my back doing Oly lifts (snatches, cleans, jerks...etc) so I've been doing low weight and working on form. The days I do WOD I usually do a second cardio workout.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#309 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

I got injured a bit too much recently, which caused me to drop out of a tournament that happened today. But yeah, I'm still grappling and running. Haven't added in the weights yet, but it'll come into place.

I need to be able to close my left hand fully or push/pull with my right arm first though.

At least my teammates got first and third.

#310 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

^ Look, look!

Someone other than me posted in this thread for the first time this year.

I'm not a complete loner any more!

Sorry about the injury Amph, what happened to the fist/arm to cause that?
overly enthusiastic kimura lock? (that happened to me last year, took my shoulder for a bit. Still 'tweaks' occasionally......)

Baco, re: tweaking back on Oly lifts - its an interesting coincidence because after buggering my shoulder a bit last year (see above) I dropped bench press and just started doing cleans for upper body work, since I could still pull weight, just couldn't push the damn things....

#311 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

The right arm was indeed tweaked by an overly enthusiastic kimura lock. I usually fight them off pretty well and accept mount, but this time, my positioning was off and the opponent went a bit overboard in getting it because I usually fight it off well. The tweak is in my elbow, not my shoulder.

The left hand is because I didn't quite have the best grip during a collar choke and during the "me pull in/he pushes back away" phase, my fingers got popped off one by one. It was kind of cool/otherworldly to feel and watch my fingers get popped off, like rivets flying away from a shearing-in-half ship or something. I was calm and immediately transitioned to something else, but discovered that I couldn't close my hand tightly afterwards. I can loosely clutch an arm or a leg, but I can't squeeze or grip anything smaller with anything close to firmness. There's a reason why the good grappling teachers tell you to have your grip a certain way in certain situations - the finger pops and the occasional wristlock that can result from bad gripping are very much worth avoiding.

Both will be better in a couple weeks without a doctor's trip, but it meant I was out from the tournament.

#312 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

in my case it was teaching it to a beginner with a remarkable lack of control :p

I said "now slowly and carefully increase the leverage" and the silly b***ard yanked it.

I was NOT a happy Coco.

Last night:
Squats:
105 (231) * 10
105 (231) * 10
105 (231) * 12,

Dumbell rows, calf raises, other assistance type stuff.

#313 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

Oh my geez.

That's why we purposely get the more experienced person to demonstrate on the less experienced person first. Also, whenever I drill kimuras with a new person, I keep my free hand up near their head/arms to either push them off my arm or grab my arm to prevent further motion. Hard to do anything to avoid a "grip'n'rip" newbie though.

I've been rolling/drilling/warming up/tournament training about 4 or 5 times a week for roughly 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours every session for the last month. I've dropped about 8 pounds in the last two weeks, despite drinking quite a bit of milk, eating breads and not watching what I eat. Will drop the bread slowly and decrease the milk (don't want to drop it entirely).

I think I'm going to start trying for some squats. Those I can do with my hands being jacked up.

#314 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

Cleans, and what a session for me:

70 (154) * 3
70 (154) * 3
70 (154) * 3
Set/Volume PB

75 (165) * 1 - Equal PB, so since I was feeling good:

77.5 (170.5) * 1 - PB

80 (176) * 1 - PB

82.5 (181.5) - just missed. Fractionally too, one wrist was under, the other wasn't and I dropped the weight :/

Still, DAMN happy all told.

#315 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:40 PM

I haven't picked up a weight in 3 months. 3 months!!!
Granted I've been working 10-12 hour days 6 days a week flipping a house, but I gotta get my ass in gear.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#316 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

squats:

115 (253) * 15
125 (275) * 1
135 (297) * 1
Boring but Big back off sets:
60 (132) * 10 * 5 sets

assorted random light other stuff.

#317 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:49 PM

Just found this thread... where the fuck has this been?! Now I have to think of something pertinent to say...
I still heart Goodkind.

#318 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

I cycle to work when the weather is amenable (8 miles one way) and I love it but every winter I gain more weight than the previous winter. I try to blame the glorious cooking of my awesome wife but the truth is I've always been a bit of a glutton when others are cooking for me. When I was on the farm, I worked hard every day, building fences, chasing and sometimes wrestling cows, etc. - it was lots of hard, physical work and it was satisfying in that way but made me almost no money. In those days I went with the idea that as long as you're burning off the calories you consume you'll be alright and it worked, but fuck me, I consumed a lot of calories. As I get older and less active, not to mention less motivated, I feel I need a change - the cycling is easy - if it weren't for the fact that I'm suffering from a beastly cold that my idiot stepson gave me, I'd be cycling now, I LOVE cycling. The problem is the winter, so I intend to sign up for a MMA class at a nearby village, which hopefully won't turn out to be shit, though there are rumours of bullying and whatnot, so we'll see how it goes. Ideally, I'd like some regular training, measuring myself against others and finding myself wanting, to motivate me to obsess on fitness, dredge up the old routine of situps, pushups and chinups upon waking and before bed. Time will tell. I can't get fat, I'd look pregnant with my build. Anybody have any better ideas?

#319 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 11 April 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

I cycle to work when the weather is amenable (8 miles one way) and I love it but every winter I gain more weight than the previous winter. I try to blame the glorious cooking of my awesome wife but the truth is I've always been a bit of a glutton when others are cooking for me. When I was on the farm, I worked hard every day, building fences, chasing and sometimes wrestling cows, etc. - it was lots of hard, physical work and it was satisfying in that way but made me almost no money. In those days I went with the idea that as long as you're burning off the calories you consume you'll be alright and it worked, but fuck me, I consumed a lot of calories. As I get older and less active, not to mention less motivated, I feel I need a change - the cycling is easy - if it weren't for the fact that I'm suffering from a beastly cold that my idiot stepson gave me, I'd be cycling now, I LOVE cycling. The problem is the winter, so I intend to sign up for a MMA class at a nearby village, which hopefully won't turn out to be shit, though there are rumours of bullying and whatnot, so we'll see how it goes. Ideally, I'd like some regular training, measuring myself against others and finding myself wanting, to motivate me to obsess on fitness, dredge up the old routine of situps, pushups and chinups upon waking and before bed. Time will tell. I can't get fat, I'd look pregnant with my build. Anybody have any better ideas?

You could always grow your hair long and pretend that you are, in fact, pregnant.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#320 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:59 PM

Avoiding the pregnant look is surprisingly easy and you don't need to go hell for leather on the training for it.
swap out sugared drinks for water, drink plenty of it and get yourself a simple routine that engages your core as well as pushes cardio for twenty minutes every evening. Or work in a bigger routine like 3 times a week.
I mean some stuff, without a gym. A decent stretch routine will help a lot as well.
I actually have a pretty good one made up for me by a mate that was designed for when I'm on shift work and cant get to a gym, obviously its not geared towards physical building (you've met me) its more about keeping fit and in shape. Send me your email address I'll send you a scan of it, and probably some text explaining what some of the piss poor handwriting says.

Share this topic:

• 35 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users