• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CF vs. The forum. BRING IT ON

#1 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:06 PM

This is a chess game to see if an individual can beat a collective. Coordinate and discuss moves all you like, via PM or in the forum.

Game 1 was erased due to the board being set up incorrectly . Thanks to Use of Weapons and Obdigore for setting me straight.

So our current rules are:
  • I will take the first legal move posted subsequent to my last post as the "opponent move", so be careful of reckless posting and think about your moves.
  • You may not move twice in a row. There must be 2 moves by other forum members before you move again - exceptions at my discretion if only 1 or 2 people actually want to play.
  • The victorious collective may choose a representative to go up against the collective in the next round. The victorious individual continues as individual in round two.
  • All normal rules of chess apply, including "castling" and "promotion" (see below).
  • Post moves according to the battleship-style grid shown on the border of the board. ie "Pawn at B2 to B3"
  • Moves should be posted as an unambiguous command of some sort. If your post is formulated as a question to other collective members (ie "should we move pawn at b2 to b3 guys?), I will treat it as discussion rather than a bona fide move.
  • If using "chess notation" explain what you mean cause I suck at chess and have no idea.
  • No bitching if I take too long to move. I probably am busy or sleeping, but will do my best to keep the game alive and frequently updated.

BRING IT

Promotion: Get a pawn to the far side of the board and you may swap it for another more useful piece: Queen, rook, knight or bishop.

Castling (thanks to Use of Weapons for explanation): King moves two squares towards the rook on either side, and the rook is placed in the square the king moved over. Castling can only take place if:

1. All the squares involved are unoccupied
2. The king is not in check (i.e. You cannot castle out of check)
3. None of the squares moved over or into is being attacked (i.e. you cannot castle through or into check)
4. Neither king nor rook has been moved previously, even if they've returned to their starting square. i.e. Castling must be the first move of both king and the rook concerned, if it is to be done at all.

EDIT Previous opening move deleted - Game 1.1 starts at Post 22 of this thread.
EDIT 2011-08-12 - rules updated RE command vs. question.

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 12 August 2011 - 02:03 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#2 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:28 PM

Pawn D2 -> D3
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#3 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:33 PM

nooooo! 1. .... c3, you fool!
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#4 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

Can we actually have some discussion of moves on the part of the board before posting the actual move? Otherwise we won't have a coherent strategy, and cf will win by dint of being one person playing a multitude. WE CAN'T ALLOW THAT TO HAPPEN! Together we are stronger, but only if we work as a team!
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#5 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:38 PM

View PostUseOfWeapons, on 10 August 2011 - 02:36 PM, said:

Can we actually have some discussion of moves on the part of the board before posting the actual move? Otherwise we won't have a coherent strategy, and cf will win by dint of being one person playing a multitude. WE CAN'T ALLOW THAT TO HAPPEN! Together we are stronger, but only if we work as a team!

Thats no fun.

The fun is to see who sees what and can build on what the other people are doing. To see if a communal mind can beat a single mind in a game of chess.

Plus CF would be able to see the discussion, and that would be foolish.

PS -> Should edit the rules so that except for CF, the same person cannot move twice in a row.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 10 August 2011 - 02:38 PM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#6 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:40 PM

Pawn at E7 to E5

Attached File  move 2.png (62.56K)
Number of downloads: 0

EDIT TO RULES

Per obdigore's suggestion, you must wait until at least 2 other people move before moving again. Obviously I get to move every time. Sound fair?

Oh, and discuss and coordinate all you want, but I will be able to see it.

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 10 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#7 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

Another edit to rules

Winner gets to take on the forum next.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#8 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

Perhaps those who participate in beating the single person need to elect the 'person of the game', and that is the next person to play against the forum? Assuming the single person loses of course.

#9 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

P.S. Can you change the grid so that it's a proper chess grid? White rows start at 1, black start at 8. I'll get horribly confused otherwise.

The game so far:

1. b3 c6
2. e4 Bg4+

My move: bishop to g4, or your grid reference G5
-- Oscar Wilde

#10 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:53 PM

Yeah. That works. I guess there's no clear winner. The guy who checkmates didn't really do it on his own.

New rule change

winning team selects a challenger for round 2.
If CF wins he continues as the single challenger or may hand it off at a whim.

Why did I do this? I suck so much ass at chess.

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 10 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#11 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:54 PM

^ Which would be Check, btw.

#12 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:56 PM

That's what the '+' means in standard notation

Or was that for cf's benefit?

This post has been edited by UseOfWeapons: 10 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

-- Oscar Wilde

#13 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:57 PM

Fair enough.

I've never notated a chess match, or read one.

#14 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

@ Grid notation - No problem. I had no idea what "standard" was. Fixed.

And just spell it out or explain funny notations when you use them for the first bit. I have never played chess by any means other than a board.

Aaaaaaaand the next move. Do we call that "move 3" or "move 6"? - ie does a "move" mean both players move or just one player's move

Attached File  move 3.png (62.29K)
Number of downloads: 0
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#15 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:10 PM

Oh, and two other questions I can never remember teh answer to.

Get a pawn to the far side = exchange for whatever you want/need. Queen, castle, knight or bishop...correct?

And how does the king-swap-with-castle work? He can swap with the nearest one provided there are no pieces in the gap between them? And he can only do so when in check?
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#16 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:14 PM

I never played the pawn exchange rule...but we probably need to ask someone who can quote the rules, like UoW.

Afaik you don't swap the king with the rook, but rather the closest rook moves two towards the king and then the king moves just to the other side of the rook. It can only be done if neither piece has moved and it cannot be done when the king is in check, and there can be no pieces between them.

Also, I think the queens/kings are on the wrong squares, iirc the 'queens dress matches her shoes', aka the white queen should be on the white square, and the black queen should be on the black square, but since they are both messed up I don't think it matters?

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 10 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

#17 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:15 PM

A move is complete when both players have played. you can refer to individual moves by referring to the move number, and saying either white or black to play.

So currently we have:

1. b3 c6
2. e4 Bg4+

3. Be2

If no one else joins in, Obdi and I can alternate
-- Oscar Wilde

#18 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:24 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 10 August 2011 - 03:10 PM, said:

Oh, and two other questions I can never remember teh answer to.

Get a pawn to the far side = exchange for whatever you want/need. Queen, castle, knight or bishop...correct?

Correct. This is called 'promoting'.

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 10 August 2011 - 03:10 PM, said:

And how does the king-swap-with-castle work? He can swap with the nearest one provided there are no pieces in the gap between them? And he can only do so when in check?

Castling. King moves two squares towards the rook on either side, and the rook is placed in the square the king moved over. Castling can only take place if:

1. All the squares involved are unoccupied
2. The king is _not_ in check (i.e. You cannot castle out of check)
3. None of the squares moved over or into is being attacked (i.e. you cannot castle through or into check)
4. Neither king nor rook has been moved previously, even if they've returned to their starting square. i.e. Castling must be the first move of both king and the rook concerned, if it is to be done at all.

View PostObdigore, on 10 August 2011 - 03:14 PM, said:

Also, I think the queens/kings are on the wrong squares, iirc the 'queens dress matches her shoes', aka the white queen should be on the white square, and the black queen should be on the black square, but since they are both messed up I don't think it matters?

They are on the wrong squares. Please swap them, the queen should always be on her own colour. It makes a difference to strategy.
-- Oscar Wilde

#19 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:26 PM

We should probably start again.
-- Oscar Wilde

#20 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:26 PM

If we switch the queens now, my first move needs to be changed to the pawn that would then be in front of the king, which would mean that you would have pulled out the other bishop...

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users