DwD SPOILER ZONE Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:06 PM

Spoiler

This post has been edited by amphibian: 18 July 2011 - 10:15 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#42 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:26 PM

View PostHeld, on 18 July 2011 - 09:08 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 July 2011 - 01:48 PM, said:

Here's my full mostly non-spoiler thoughts on the book.

http://icebergink.bl...dragons-by.html

I liked this non spoiler review. Great analogy of the 1st 600 pages as a barge and remaining 350 pages as speed boat. There was way too much filler and pointless scenes in the barge. The analogy of the barge made me think about a certain characters trip down the river in a barge like boat. Kind of interesting but not really. Can't believe that with 6 years to write and review he could not streamline it. He needs a editor who has the guts to tell him to cut out the fluff. Still, it was a decent read. I will likely continue with the series, if only to find out more about the Other.

Thanks Held. I did my best to keep it spoilerless for the readers.

Yeah, the barge/speedboat analogy probably came out of my subconscious in reference to those river scenes. LOL!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#43 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

Just finished this morning. I'm a little let down, I find this book only marginally better than AFfC. Still a soild book, though.

Spoiler

Can't wait for the next book.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#44 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

Thanks QT/KK for that review. It's confirmed my decision to wait for the paperback. I just don't feel like spending around $40-$50 NZ
Spoiler
Well, that and I have 12 books sitting on my shelves that I've yet to read.

I don't feel at all spoilered, so well done!

This post has been edited by King Bear: 19 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

#45 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:54 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 19 July 2011 - 02:29 PM, said:

Don't tell Martin. He'll make you.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

View PostKing Bear, on 19 July 2011 - 02:43 PM, said:

Thanks QT/KK for that review. It's confirmed my decision to wait for the paperback. I just don't feel like spending around $40-$50 NZ
Spoiler
Well, that and I have 12 books sitting on my shelves that I've yet to read.

I don't feel at all spoilered, so well done!

A'thank you! 'preciate it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#47 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:38 PM

View PostTapper, on 19 July 2011 - 02:54 PM, said:

Don't tell Martin. He'll make you.

;)
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”

#48 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:47 PM

Acesn8s,
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#49 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 19 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

View Postamphibian, on 19 July 2011 - 04:47 PM, said:

Acesn8s,
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#50 User is offline   Held 

• Corporal
  • Interests:Epic world building fantasy...SE the best.

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 19 July 2011 - 07:44 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 19 July 2011 - 04:47 PM, said:

Acesn8s,
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I am confused. I thought Cersei and Jamie are the elder siblings to Tyrion. If liberties were taken at the wedding bedding wouldn't it call into question C&J's paternity? Or did I totally miss that Tywin had two wives so different mothers?

“You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” --Paul Sweeney

#51 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:42 PM

I think we can probably dispense with the spoiler tags now that it's been a solid week since the release. And people about these parts who don't want to be spoiled have probably gotten used to the presence of the thread enough so that they know to avoid it if they wanna. Not to mention it says spoilers in the thread title.

Anyhoo, I really don't think Tyrion is a Targ. Part of it's just my gut, part of it's the fact that I think that scene Barristan described was just another example of why Tywin had a reason to hate Aerys and ultimately betray him, and part of it's the fact that Tyrion's character has, from the beginning, been so bound up in his daddy issues with Tywin that it would just be too much of a 180 for me to try to grasp someone other than Tywin being his father.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#52 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:19 AM

I have mixed feelings about the book.

First off, I hate Martin for the Jon cliffhanger. sincerely hope he's not dead. with R+L being pretty soundly disproved (Davos being told about Ned and the smuggler girl. Gods, I hated the R+L=J thing ever since i've heard of it, reading those words made my day), I'd like to see what becomes of him and the North more than ever.

on the other hand, Tyrion's journey and all the worldbuilding of the Free Cities was superb.

The Dornish arc was necessary, imho. it had to conclude all the buildup of Dorne form AFFC.

Theon's arc was probably the most interesting.
I really didn't see any type of resolution from this book. in this, it's a lot like AFFC. I don't think even read together, these can compare to ASOS. doesn't make them bad books per se, just... unfulfilling, I guess.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#53 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:03 AM

View PostMentalist, on 20 July 2011 - 01:19 AM, said:

First off, I hate Martin for the Jon cliffhanger. sincerely hope he's not dead. with R+L being pretty soundly disproved (Davos being told about Ned and the smuggler girl. Gods, I hated the R+L=J thing ever since i've heard of it, reading those words made my day), I'd like to see what becomes of him and the North more than ever.

on the other hand, Tyrion's journey and all the worldbuilding of the Free Cities was superb.

The Dornish arc was necessary, imho. it had to conclude all the buildup of Dorne form AFFC.

I really didn't see any type of resolution from this book. in this, it's a lot like AFFC. I don't think even read together, these can compare to ASOS. doesn't make them bad books per se, just... unfulfilling, I guess.

I don't really see how Davos hearing from some corrupt lord on the fingers a piece of folklore about Ned knocking up a fisherman's girl effectively disproves R+L=J. To me it smacks of total red herring.

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#54 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:08 AM

FRANKENGREGOR!!!!!!

I've been holding that in for years now. I will admit to being unsatisfied with aDwD. I just don't feel that I got answers to pretty much any of my questions that were left over from earlier books. Guess it's time to start waiting again.

#55 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:23 AM

View PostCeda Cicero, on 20 July 2011 - 03:03 AM, said:

I don't really see how Davos hearing from some corrupt lord on the fingers a piece of folklore about Ned knocking up a fisherman's girl effectively disproves R+L=J. To me it smacks of total red herring.

probably not... even though several times in Jon chapters it's mentioned he haggles as if his mother was a fisherwoman...

but I just really, REALLY hate R+L.........
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#56 User is offline   Held 

• Corporal
  • Interests:Epic world building fantasy...SE the best.

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:32 AM

My brief review. I have at least 40 posts for ADWD over on the ASOIF forum so have a good sense of the fans likes & dislikes.

Fist pumping mini scenes.

"The North remembers....."
Love those Frey pies....
"Theon. My name is Theon. You have to know your name."

Dany and Tyrion were hundreds of pages of boredom. The ASOIF fans posted hundreds of snide comments about Dany's boy toy, Daria (sp?).
Jon's chapters while not action packed were interesting. He became the administrator man and opened forts, let thousands of wilding through the wall, negotiated with the Bank of Bravos for coin and boats for food for the long winter. Quite amazingly efficient, but not always engaging reading. You could see that something was going to erupt between him and the NW who hated that he was letting wildings through, but I admit to being surprised at what happened. I think what happened is not what is seems. Lots of diverse opinions on this.

The best action was with the secondary POV's like Reek-Theon/Ramsey, Davos/Manderley, and Bran/Bloodraven.

The Theon/Ramsey story was horrifying and the best writing in the book.

I hope that we get a lot more of Bran's POV in the future and he may well end as a primary player in the story. Bran has entered the twilight zone.
Sad to have only 1 chapter on Arya but it took her to a new scary level. While no concrete info on Rickon, hints that if he is alive he may also be in a very unusual place.

New characters and one new big one with more mysteries introduced that solved.

ADWD was better than AFFC but those cliffhangers have become ANNOYING BEYOND BELIEF. The cliff hangers are the primary reason people are unhappy with the book and also that 1st 600 page ride on the barge. Many are still pondering if GRRM has lost his grip on the story, like Jordon, and will take 4 or 5 books to finish.

Trying to not be too spoilerish. It is worth reading but I am not buying on release date next time, but waiting for the fan reaction before I invest time or $. Rather borrow from friend from here on out. I don't care if I own the series like I do with my Malazan books. ASOIF is getting grimmer with each book. I am invested so unless GRRM or I die before it ends, I will find time to read it and speculate endlessly on the scattered clues offered.

“You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” --Paul Sweeney

#57 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:50 AM

I don't know if any of you noticed it, but Jon's stabbing itself was Julius Caesar's death re-mastered, from the first slash being turned aside to it being done by his closest friends and allies 'for the good of the watch/Republic'.

As for the accountability of the dude doing the telling of the fisherwoman as Jon's mother story to Davos, well... he may not be the epitome of honor. But why would he lie about something like this, where is his gain? If anything, he just repeats what he has heard.

The R + L = J theory... I'm still not sure. In this book, we also get a mention of Dayne's sister being in love with Ned. Such a birth would make the boy a Stark, too, and would compromise both Dayne's honor and that of his sis. Enough reason for honorable Eddard to shut up about that.

Also, neither Stannis nor Melisandre has shown any interest in Jon's blood, where normally, they're crawling over (perceived/ potential) royalty like nothing else... if Jon was Rhaegar's son, I bet there would be more of a hint, also because Elia of Dorne was apparently also a brown-eyed, black haired beauty (like Lyanna) yet her son Aegon has the blond hair and violetty eyes Rhaegar had.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#58 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:07 AM

I think its obvious that Rickon is on Skagos. Where else have we been told you can find cannibals?

I think Ned and Wylla and the story about Jons birth is more than a little fishy. We will see

#59 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:52 AM

View PostMentalist, on 20 July 2011 - 05:23 AM, said:

View PostCeda Cicero, on 20 July 2011 - 03:03 AM, said:

probably not... even though several times in Jon chapters it's mentioned he haggles as if his mother was a fisherwoman...

but I just really, REALLY hate R+L.........

I agree, I loathe the R+L=J thing....like a LOT...just cause most folk are so smug about it....and I also thought this bit of ADWD in Davos chapters was GRRM's of giving fans the middle-(you didn't guess it)-finger...but yeah it's probably still R+L ...

Tappers got a point, why does the lord on the Fingers have any reason to lie about it to Davos of all people?

This post has been edited by King Kazma: 20 July 2011 - 10:56 AM

#60 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

It's eminently possible that the lord of the Fingers is just repeating an oft-told piece of local legend. He may not necessarily be lying to Davos. He may think it's fact. But this guy wasn't even in the Lord's seat when Ned passed through on his way North. It's something to take into consideration, another possible explanation to chalk onto the list of possibilities, but it hardly "debunks" any other theories about Jon's parentage.

Also, Barristan never actually says it was Eddard that Ashara loved. He muses to himself that it was "Stark," meaning that it could have very easily been Brandon (as he was still living and present at the Harrenhal tourney.)

Re: Mel and Stannis wanting to feed Jon to the fire for his royal blood, the ongoing theme with Mel is that she can miss things, misinterpret things, and just downright get shit wrong in her fires. And, speaking of, how about the scene where she asks the flames to show her Stannis and all she sees is Jon, skulls, and a bunch of snow? "I ask for a glimpse of Azor Ahai and all R'hllor will show me is Snow." Certainly not evidence of R+L=J, but a possible wink about Jon being Azor Ahai (or at least some facet of Azor Ahai.)

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users