Malazan Empire: DwD SPOILER ZONE - Malazan Empire

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »

DwD SPOILER ZONE Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:29 PM

So for those of us who got a head start and those on the forum getting their books today and pounding through them in 48-72 hours (I know you're out there you crazy assholes) I wanted to start a thread for just various sundry spoilery questions/comments/nitpicks. It's less a place for reviews (I've tried to write a "review" twice now and I'm just too damn lazy) and more a place for specific questions, though certainly impressions aren't discouraged.

So that said, DO NOT PROCEED if you don't want to be spoiled. And if you lack discipline and are on the fence, heed my words and DO NOT SPOIL THIS BOOK for yourself.

Seriously.

Spoilers.

FUCK YOU SPOILERS

Posted Image

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Ceda Cicero: 12 July 2011 - 06:30 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#2 User is offline   Slick Mongoose 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:16 PM

View PostCeda Cicero, on 12 July 2011 - 06:29 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

"pseudoscience and superstition will seem year by year more tempting, the siren song of unreason more sonorous and attractive. Where have we heard it before? Whenever our ethnic or national prejudices are aroused, in times of scarcity, during challenges to national self-esteem or nerve, when we agonize about our diminished cosmic place and purpose, or when fanaticism is bubbling up around us – then, habits of thought familiar from ages past reach for the controls. The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." - Carl Sagan

#3 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:03 AM

I haven't read any of it yet, but I impulsively clicked on this thread. I'm glad you're still using spoiler tags. ;)

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

This is a very confusing Dust of Dreams thread.

#5 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:50 PM

Spoiler

I think Slick nailed it.

Spoiler

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#6 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:12 PM

Ok, I finished.
Spoiler

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 July 2011 - 07:31 PM

View Postamphibian, on 15 July 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Ceda Cicero: 15 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#8 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:53 PM

Quadruple, hahahahaaaaaa.

It's possible.

#9 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 July 2011 - 09:02 PM

View Postamphibian, on 15 July 2011 - 08:53 PM, said:

It's possible.

Hey also, your idea that
Spoiler

#10 User is offline   Slick Mongoose 

• Captain

Posted 15 July 2011 - 10:20 PM

View PostCeda Cicero, on 15 July 2011 - 09:02 PM, said:

It's possible.

Hey also, your idea that
Spoiler

But

Spoiler

"pseudoscience and superstition will seem year by year more tempting, the siren song of unreason more sonorous and attractive. Where have we heard it before? Whenever our ethnic or national prejudices are aroused, in times of scarcity, during challenges to national self-esteem or nerve, when we agonize about our diminished cosmic place and purpose, or when fanaticism is bubbling up around us – then, habits of thought familiar from ages past reach for the controls. The candle flame gutters. Its little pool of light trembles. Darkness gathers. The demons begin to stir." - Carl Sagan

#11 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:17 AM

View PostSlick Mongoose, on 15 July 2011 - 10:20 PM, said:

It's possible.

Hey also, your idea that
Spoiler

But

Spoiler

True, true. Can't deny that. But

Spoiler

#12 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

Spoiler

Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#13 User is offline   Slick Mongoose 

• Captain

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:02 PM

View PostCyphon, on 16 July 2011 - 11:56 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

Spoiler

This post has been edited by amphibian: 16 July 2011 - 01:41 PM

#15 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:17 PM

View Postamphibian, on 16 July 2011 - 01:38 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#16 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

Still waiting for my copy to arrive but what I want to know in advance is this: any good battles in it? This will determine if I read Clash of Empires first or not.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#17 User is offline   kurono 

• Recruit

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

View PostGarak, on 16 July 2011 - 04:21 PM, said:

Still waiting for my copy to arrive but what I want to know in advance is this: any good battles in it? This will determine if I read Clash of Empires first or not.

Lol no. Think of it as A Clash of Kings ending before the Battle of the Blackwater.

It's possible.

Hey also, your idea that
Spoiler

Sam has the Horn of Winter. Jon found it under the Fist of the First Men in ACoK and gave it to Sam not knowing what it truly was. He took it with him south to Oldtown.

This post has been edited by kurono: 16 July 2011 - 05:09 PM

#18 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:29 PM

View Postkurono, on 16 July 2011 - 05:07 PM, said:

Sam has the Horn of Winter. Jon found it under the Fist of the First Men in ACoK and gave it to Sam not knowing what it truly was. He took it with him south to Oldtown.[/font]

What? Really? I don't remember a dang horn. The obsidian knife, yes.

A length of frayed rope bound the bundle together. Jon unsheathed his dagger and cut it, groped for the edges of the cloth, and pulled. The bundle turned, and its contents spilled out onto the ground, glittering dark and bright. He saw a dozen knives, leaf-shaped spearheads, numerous arrowheads. Jon picked up a dagger blade, featherlight and shiny black, hiltless. Torchlight ran along its edge, a thin orange line that spoke of razor sharpness. Dragonglass. What the maesters call obsidian. Had Ghost uncovered some ancient cache of the children of the forest, buried here for thousands of years? The Fist of the First Men was an old place, only . . .

Beneath the dragonglass was an old warhorn, made from an auroch’s horn and banded in bronze. Jon shook the dirt from inside it, and a stream of arrowheads fell out. He let them fall, and pulled up a corner of the cloth the weapons had been wrapped in, rubbing it between his fingers. Good wool, thick, a double weave, damp but not rotted. It could not have been long in the ground. And it was dark. He seized a handful and pulled it close to the torch. Not dark. Black.

Even before Jon stood and shook it out, he knew what he had: the black cloak of a Sworn Brother of the Night’s Watch.

[...]

Jon slid his new dagger from its sheath and studied the flames as they played against the shiny black glass. He had fashioned the wooden hilt himself, and wound hempen twine around it to make a grip. Ugly, but it served. Dolorous Edd opined that glass knives were about as useful as nipples on a knight’s breastplate, but Jon was not so certain. The dragonglass blade was sharper than steel, albeit far more brittle.

It must have been buried for a reason.

He had made a dagger for Grenn as well, and another for the Lord Commander. The warhorn he had given to Sam. On closer examination the horn had proved cracked, and even after he had cleaned all the dirt out, Jon had been unable to get any sound from it. The rim was chipped as well, but Sam liked old things, even worthless old things. “Make a drinking horn out of it,” Jon told him, “and every time you take a drink you’ll remember how you ranged beyond the Wall, all the way to the Fist of the First Men.” He gave Sam a spearhead and a dozen arrowheads as well, and passed the rest out among his other friends for luck.

Oh good memory, Kuruno. Wow. That totally snuck by me.

#19 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:10 PM

But if Sam has the horn,
Spoiler

#20 User is offline   Slick Mongoose 

• Captain

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

I thought

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users