• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:24 AM

But in all seriousness...

a} I thought you gave up on Naruto?

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 March 2020 - 02:35 PM, said:

Tried to watch NARUTO.

Not for me.

It's one thing to power through a 12-episode anime that isn't doing it for you... but hundreds of episodes? Why force yourself, when there are a bajillion other shows out there to try?

and

b} If you've started on Demon Slayer, do yourself a favour and find a way to finish it. Overall it's a very good show, but more importantly it has a few absolutely phenomenal moments that make it a must watch.

As evidence, I present us gushing over a certain few scenes in this very thread back when it was airing (with any specifics removed so it doesn't give away when any such scene might be about to happen):

View PostD, on 11 August 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

I've been kinda sleeping on this show and not talking about it that much, even though its been pretty fun the whole way so far, [...] Today, though, was an absolutely jaw-dropping, tear-shedding, eyeball-gasming experience, and I can't shut up about it anymore. [...] I can't remember a single episode this good from at least the last few years.

View PostMaark Abbott, on 12 August 2019 - 07:48 AM, said:

That battle with [redacted] was excellent to begin with, but when [redacted] Fuck me, I immediately went and got a beer after that. One of the best sequences in anime that I've seen in YEARS.

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 14 August 2019 - 12:29 AM, said:

I find myself in a similar boat to yourselves.

The latest episode was amazing simply put.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4442 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 April 2021 - 02:28 AM

View PostD, on 15 April 2021 - 01:24 AM, said:

But in all seriousness...

a} I thought you gave up on Naruto?

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 March 2020 - 02:35 PM, said:

Tried to watch NARUTO.

Not for me.

It's one thing to power through a 12-episode anime that isn't doing it for you... but hundreds of episodes? Why force yourself, when there are a bajillion other shows out there to try?

and

b} If you've started on Demon Slayer, do yourself a favour and find a way to finish it. Overall it's a very good show, but more importantly it has a few absolutely phenomenal moments that make it a must watch.

As evidence, I present us gushing over a certain few scenes in this very thread back when it was airing (with any specifics removed so it doesn't give away when any such scene might be about to happen):

Oh yes, I went back to NARUTO after that post and got right into it, and finished the original series, so now I’m about 20 eps into SHIPPUDEN. I ended up liking it more than ONE PIECE. 😁

I will definitely be finishing DEMON SLAYER, good to know there’s some great moments coming up.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4443 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:04 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 April 2021 - 02:28 AM, said:

I ended up liking it more than ONE PIECE. 😁

Who are you and what have you done with QT???!!!

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4444 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:36 AM

Joran ep2: made a lot more sense than ep1, much less disjointed and all oert oyle.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4445 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:48 AM

View PostD, on 15 April 2021 - 03:04 AM, said:

I ended up liking it more than ONE PIECE. 😁

I Know, right?

They are both good, but I got more rewarding stuff from NARUTO overall. I enjoy both.

After DEMON SLAYER, what should I check out?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4446 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:18 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 April 2021 - 11:48 AM, said:

I ended up liking it more than ONE PIECE. ��

I Know, right?

They are both good, but I got more rewarding stuff from NARUTO overall. I enjoy both.

Star Twinkle Precure, of course!

(I am going to keep making this joke until someone gets so sick of it they watch the whole show out of spite.)

Do you want another shounen action show after Demon Slayer, or something else entirely? Or...?

#4447 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:39 PM

View PostD, on 15 April 2021 - 01:18 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 April 2021 - 11:48 AM, said:

I ended up liking it more than ONE PIECE. ��

I Know, right?

Star Twinkle Precure, of course!

(I am going to keep making this joke until someone gets so sick of it they watch the whole show out of spite.)

Do you want another shounen action show after Demon Slayer, or something else entirely? Or...?

I'd love to get in on something that's really rewarding that's more recent. I don't really mind if it's shounen or not. Just something with a great story, be it action, slice of life, or whatever.

#4448 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:04 PM

Hmm, rewarding and a great story but no preference for style or genre. That's tricky 'cause there's like a million things to choose from and I don't want to overload you with a huge list of too many choices either... but here goes. I'm going to try and pick one for each of a bunch of different genres. I'll throw a picture for each one, too, 'cause sometimes the visual style is the real hook.

Comedy - Kakushigoto - A manga artist who got famous drawing toilet humour series is now a single parent and believes he must hide his real job from his daughter.

Action/Adventure - Rage of Bahamut: Genesis - A swashbuckling bounty hunter tries to hook up with a naive girl but she turns out to be a demon and grows a tail on him, refusing to remove the tail until he takes her to Helheim (which he boastfully lied about knowing a shortcut to). The two journey together to Helheim, pursued by angels, demons, and a disgraced knight.

Drama - A Place Further than the Universe - Four girls from different walks of life join together to force their way onto an Antarctic research expedition.

Sports - Haikyuu - A kid and his rival both end up going to a high school with a once-famous volleyball team that has now fallen on hard times.

Romance - Sing Yesterday for Me - After graduating from college, a man struggling with future goals reconnects with an old crush while being pestered by a new friend.

Psychological Thriller - Death Parade - A heavenly bartender and his assistant pit the recently dead against each other in extreme versions of bar games to decide whether they will be reincarnated or damned.

Action/Thriller - Akudama Drive - In a dystopian cyberpunk future setting, a mysterious benefactor blackmails a group of cutthroat mercenaries, and also one ordinary girl who was in the wrong place at the wrong time, into staging a dangerous train heist.

Something Weird (but Good) - Granbelm - What's more anime, mecha or magical girls? How about both! Mage girls pilot giant magic robots in a battle royale to take control over the source of all magic, with some shocking revelations along the way.

Aside from Haikyuu, all of those are short (11~13 episodes), self-contained stories with real endings that have a climactic payoff. Couldn't think of a good one-season sports show with a big payoff, but in Haikyuu's case each season ends with a big climactic match so it still delivers plenty of payoff.

Alternatively, if you want to jump on something really, really recent, Maark and I are both watching a currently-airing show called Mashiro no Oto about a shamisen player who loses his motivation and sound after his grandfather dies, and is now on a journey to discover his own unique sound and fall in love with the instrument again. Only 2 episodes have aired so far so we can't promise it'll have a huge payoff, but the musical performances in it so far have been mesmerizing so it is already worth it and probably is going to end well, too.

#4449 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:58 PM

View PostD, on 15 April 2021 - 07:04 PM, said:

Hmm, rewarding and a great story but no preference for style or genre. That's tricky 'cause there's like a million things to choose from and I don't want to overload you with a huge list of too many choices either... but here goes. I'm going to try and pick one for each of a bunch of different genres. I'll throw a picture for each one, too, 'cause sometimes the visual style is the real hook.

Comedy - Kakushigoto - A manga artist who got famous drawing toilet humour series is now a single parent and believes he must hide his real job from his daughter.

Action/Adventure - Rage of Bahamut: Genesis - A swashbuckling bounty hunter tries to hook up with a naive girl but she turns out to be a demon and grows a tail on him, refusing to remove the tail until he takes her to Helheim (which he boastfully lied about knowing a shortcut to). The two journey together to Helheim, pursued by angels, demons, and a disgraced knight.

Drama - A Place Further than the Universe - Four girls from different walks of life join together to force their way onto an Antarctic research expedition.

Sports - Haikyuu - A kid and his rival both end up going to a high school with a once-famous volleyball team that has now fallen on hard times.

Romance - Sing Yesterday for Me - After graduating from college, a man struggling with future goals reconnects with an old crush while being pestered by a new friend.

Psychological Thriller - Death Parade - A heavenly bartender and his assistant pit the recently dead against each other in extreme versions of bar games to decide whether they will be reincarnated or damned.

Action/Thriller - Akudama Drive - In a dystopian cyberpunk future setting, a mysterious benefactor blackmails a group of cutthroat mercenaries, and also one ordinary girl who was in the wrong place at the wrong time, into staging a dangerous train heist.

Something Weird (but Good) - Granbelm - What's more anime, mecha or magical girls? How about both! Mage girls pilot giant magic robots in a battle royale to take control over the source of all magic, with some shocking revelations along the way.

Aside from Haikyuu, all of those are short (11~13 episodes), self-contained stories with real endings that have a climactic payoff. Couldn't think of a good one-season sports show with a big payoff, but in Haikyuu's case each season ends with a big climactic match so it still delivers plenty of payoff.

Alternatively, if you want to jump on something really, really recent, Maark and I are both watching a currently-airing show called Mashiro no Oto about a shamisen player who loses his motivation and sound after his grandfather dies, and is now on a journey to discover his own unique sound and fall in love with the instrument again. Only 2 episodes have aired so far so we can't promise it'll have a huge payoff, but the musical performances in it so far have been mesmerizing so it is already worth it and probably is going to end well, too.

Amazing list. Thank you so much! This will help me.

#4450 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 16 April 2021 - 07:55 AM

ID Invaded as well.

Sing Yesterday was decent but didn't really have a payoff for me, it just sort of fizzled out. I'd personally look at Horimiya over it.

Oh, and watch Wonder Egg or I'll slice ya. Like an, uh, egg. Boiled. Not poached.

#4451 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:31 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 16 April 2021 - 07:55 AM, said:

ID Invaded as well.

As much fun as we had with that one while it was airing, I dunno if it is the sort of payoff that QT is looking for. The ending on it was... er... interesting. ^_^

Sing Yesterday was decent but didn't really have a payoff for me, it just sort of fizzled out. I'd personally look at Horimiya over it.

Naaaaah Horimiya is a whole bunch of disconnected slice of life/romance scenes. Some of them are really good individual scenes, but they don't connect together to make up a great story collectively. Good show, but not what QT is looking for I think.

Oh, and watch Wonder Egg or I'll slice ya. Like an, uh, egg. Boiled. Not poached.

Beautiful series, but still one more episode to go though, so I didn't want to include it in the list 'cause we don't know for sure it'll have a good payoff in the end.

#4452 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:49 AM

Fair calls to each.

I checked out episode one of Cestvs today. It was pretty decent. Less a determined Rocky boxing show and more an oh fuck if I lose they will fucking murder me show.

#4453 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 April 2021 - 11:54 AM

What do we know about this buzz-worthy show TO YOUR ETERNITY? Ppl on tiktok seem to be excited about it.

#4454 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 16 April 2021 - 01:21 PM

Well, it has a really big marketing campaign. First episode landed pretty well, lots of people liked it. It has the feel of a story that is going to be something profound... but on the other hand it's adapting a manga that has been running for years and still isn't ended, so gotta wonder if the anime will actually reach a significant milestone/ending or just be a preview for the manga.

#4455 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 April 2021 - 01:30 PM

Ah good to know about the long-running Manga, I was unaware.

#4456 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 16 April 2021 - 04:13 PM

i gave 86 a spin...

Ill let you know if after 3 episodes its worth watching cause episode 1 was roughhhhhh

#4457 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 18 April 2021 - 05:21 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 16 April 2021 - 04:13 PM, said:

i gave 86 a spin...

Ill let you know if after 3 episodes its worth watching cause episode 1 was roughhhhhh

I caught episode 1 and 2 tonight.

The battles are pretty good. Looks like a blend of CGI and 2D animation, I think? If so, it's combined quite well and the whole thing is pretty flashy. Catchy battle music, too.

But oh man the story/worldbuilding is such a groaner. The government decides everyone who isn't blonde is now not human so they can be used as slaves and every single blonde person just goes along with it and becomes super racist to the point that no one even acknowledges it ever happened after... only 9 years?! And even though they don't care if the non-blonde people die because they "aren't human" they also need to pretend that the robots are autonomous because... why again? Clearly the blonde people aren't going to be upset if they knew the truth that the sub-human non-blondes were dying for their war. Why do any of the non-blondes fight? There's no way they could possibly believe that they'll get their citizenship back after the war when they know firsthand how much all the blondes hate them.

But it's okay, because there's one super special teenage girl who's still in high school and also an officer in the military (where the uniforms for women are short skirts and garters, because of course they are :rolleyes: ) and she's the only not racist person in the whooooooole world and she gets to give a big speech to her classroom for... some reason.

Big yikes on this one. I'm going to keep watching, but it's going to have to really turn things around for it not to be an ironic watch.

#4458 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 18 April 2021 - 02:32 PM

View PostD, on 18 April 2021 - 05:21 AM, said:

i gave 86 a spin...

The battles are pretty good. Looks like a blend of CGI and 2D animation, I think? If so, it's combined quite well and the whole thing is pretty flashy. Catchy battle music, too.

But oh man the story/worldbuilding is such a groaner. The government decides everyone who isn't blonde is now not human so they can be used as slaves and every single blonde person just goes along with it and becomes super racist to the point that no one even acknowledges it ever happened after... only 9 years?! And even though they don't care if the non-blonde people die because they "aren't human" they also need to pretend that the robots are autonomous because... why again? Clearly the blonde people aren't going to be upset if they knew the truth that the sub-human non-blondes were dying for their war. Why do any of the non-blondes fight? There's no way they could possibly believe that they'll get their citizenship back after the war when they know firsthand how much all the blondes hate them.

But it's okay, because there's one super special teenage girl who's still in high school and also an officer in the military (where the uniforms for women are short skirts and garters, because of course they are :rolleyes: ) and she's the only not racist person in the whooooooole world and she gets to give a big speech to her classroom for... some reason.

Big yikes on this one. I'm going to keep watching, but it's going to have to really turn things around for it not to be an ironic watch.

*shrugs*

If thats episode 2 then i think ima move onto better things. I don't have time for bad anime.

Still havent seen that spider anime...

#4459 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 18 April 2021 - 03:41 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 18 April 2021 - 02:32 PM, said:

View PostD, on 18 April 2021 - 05:21 AM, said:

i gave 86 a spin...

*shrugs*

If thats episode 2 then i think ima move onto better things. I don't have time for bad anime.

Still havent seen that spider anime...

Spider anime isn't very good either. Unless you like watching twitch streamers playing MMORPGs, 'cause half of it is pretty much that.

#4460 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 18 April 2021 - 11:57 PM

Pretty Boys Detective Club continues to impress, got very artsy this week. I've never seen any of the Monogatari shows, but apparently this has some big similarities to its directing style (and maybe the same writer?). Anyways, fun and interesting, and the OP has dancing so what's not to love.

Mashiro no Oto episode 3 - Funny, charming, great music as always (shorter performance this time, but I like how it was sort of a slow, emotional ballad of a song in contrast to the bigger high-adrenaline songs we've had so far), and I like that they're not dragging out Setsu refusing to play the song, though the whole thing was still a bit melodramatic for sure.

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users