• You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#4361 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 13 February 2021 - 08:26 PM

D'rek,

IM on episode 2 of Log Horizon... can you please explain like... everything to me?

Nothing makes sense... if they are all unhappy with the Duke encroaching on their territory why don't they just kick him out.

I don't get the conversation between red haired sword due and scholar dude....

Like... either im missing something or its just bad translating.

EDIT: Ok so the duke is one of the guild leaders... but why was it that honesty not finding the portal solution that big of a deal... that scene with everyone looking down... and him asking for money... im still lost.

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 13 February 2021 - 08:33 PM

#4362 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 13 February 2021 - 10:10 PM

Oh boy. Ok, I'll take a crack at it (and try not to spoil anything for episodes 3+).

First things first, remember that Akiba the adventurer city is important, sure, but small in the grand scheme of things. There's only like 10,000~50,000 adventurers spread across 4 adventurer cities in all of Japan Yamato, versus millions - maybe even tens or hundreds of millions - of People of the Land, who inhabit dozens or hundreds of their own cities plus countless villages spread all across the region.

The People of the Land are largely divided into two countries - Eastal and Holy Westelande, which it seems were once one big united empire but Eastal broke away a long time ago, and it's sort of a Holy Roman Empire/Sengoku Japan situation where there's *technically* still an Imperial Family descended from the old Emperors, but they're really just figureheads. The West is run by its Senate who just pretend to recognize the Imperial family, while Eastal is a federation of quasi-independent dukedoms/barons that scarcely even recognize the legitimacy of the Imperial family.

Anyways, so Akiba the adventurer city is inside Eastal, and they are pretty dependent on trade with Eastal to get virtually all of their food and raw materials supply - you don't see adventurers heading out into the countryside to start farming. Back in the previous seasons Akiba's Round Table went through a bunch of political negotiations and shenaniganery to make sure they would stay on good terms with Eastal and maintain free trade relationships, but also still maintain their independence (whereas Eastal basically wanted to appoint them as another barony within Eastal). The thinking was that Akiba doesn't want to get involved in People of the Land politics, particularly because war seems to be brewing between Westelande and Eastal.

But since Akiba made sure to keep itself politically independent from Eastal, well that makes an opportunity for Westelande to ally/vassalize Akiba instead. Even if it's effectively just in name and the Senate wouldn't hold any real power over Akiba (which maybe or maybe wouldn't be the case, I dunno), doing so would still be a harsh move against Eastal's position - establishing an ally/vassal in Eastal's own backyard.

Hence why Westelande wants to appoint Eins the Duke of Akiba and have them formally be recognized as a dukedom within the empire. And why that would piss of Eastal. And why it would ruin Akiba's independence and neutrality.

But a lot of adventurers are unhappy with the unrestrained capitalism/wealth-gap of the current Akiba system and feel disenfranchised by the current Akiba government (the Round Table), so they support the idea of Dukedom, and a lot of People of the Land feel uncertain about Akiba's future as it refuses to join either Eastal or Westelande so they like the idea of the prestige and sense of security from becoming a Dukedom, too.

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 13 February 2021 - 08:26 PM, said:

Ok so the duke is one of the guild leaders... but why was it that honesty not finding the portal solution that big of a deal... that scene with everyone looking down... and him asking for money... im still lost.

Yes, Eins is the guild leader of Honesty, which was one of the Round Table guilds until he recently seceded Honesty from the Round Table and took the offer to be appointed a Duke by the Westelanders.

The problem with Honesty is that they failed to achieve anything, unlike all the other Round Table guilds. The combat guilds patrol the town and lead the war against the goblin armies, the crafting guilds have invented tons of stuff and funded tons of merchant projects, even the small ones have made names for themselves somehow - Marielle's Crescent Moon Alliance is the cultural heart of Akiba, the orange guy's small guild runs a postal service, etc. Honesty became the only guild on the Round Table that didn't really have any prestige. One big thing they were tasked with was figuring out the portals, and they failed at that, too.

There's lots of guilds that aren't prestigious, of course, but unlike those Honesty was on the Round Table so it had some political influence. Eins feared that his guild would lose any right to stay on the Round Table and lose the influence they had, so he started accepting just about anyone to join Honesty, figuring that at least if they were an enormous guild that would at least be reason enough to keep their seat on the Round Table. But that meant Honesty was taking in all the mopey and dissatisfied adventurers - someone who was interested in making a shop or crafting something or fighting or such would have joined one of the other guilds that is known for doing those things. Honesty ended up with a ton of unmotivated layabouts (not entirely, but disproportionately). A lot of them are just depressed and want to go home. And the weight of trying to keep all those people happy while the rest of the Round Table guilds are full of spunky adventurers eager to secure an exclusive trade deal or go on another raid or invent ice cream made Eins feel more and more like the current Akiba economic and political system was encouraging this growing divide rather than providing a safety net for its least-fortunate.

He's not entirely wrong, but he's not entirely right, either.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4363 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 14 February 2021 - 06:31 AM

So i ended up watching ahead and am mostly caught up.

That being said those were some excellent explanations that added way more depth to what was going on so thank you very much for that.

The one thing im not liking is that things are presented as if you should already know everything cause the show expect you to remember every single basic fact... meanwhile when you do get an explanation its this giant dialogue dump like.... uhh idk... maybe the language barrier is getting in the way.

#4364 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 14 February 2021 - 11:07 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 14 February 2021 - 06:31 AM, said:

So i ended up watching ahead and am mostly caught up.

That being said those were some excellent explanations that added way more depth to what was going on so thank you very much for that.

The one thing im not liking is that things are presented as if you should already know everything cause the show expect you to remember every single basic fact... meanwhile when you do get an explanation its this giant dialogue dump like.... uhh idk... maybe the language barrier is getting in the way.

I don't mind the having to remember everything 'cause just so much stuff in Log Horizon that if they stopped to re-explain things all the time the episodes would all be 15-minutes of recap, 5 minutes of actual story progression. And it makes the world feel more "alive" that characters who both know something don't have dumb lines like "Well, as you know, the history of so-and-so is [goes on for 5 paragraphs]" that a lot of other media does for the sake of the audience.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4365 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 14 February 2021 - 11:08 PM

Y'know, I'm not really sold on these last couple AoT episodes... but it's probably more a me problem than the show doing anything wrong. Angsty distrust and stupidity from on-high is a core part of the show, has been since the beginning, so I can't really complain about it. But with the way the first few episodes of this season rolled out, I thought we were kind of leaving that behind and "getting on with it" for a continuous finale sort of thing, so I really wasn't expecting to go back to this.

#4366 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 15 February 2021 - 08:55 AM

I'm not 100% on the current direction now, but we'll see how it wraps up I suppose.

Ghislaine Tenseabs continues to... what? Oh. Ahem. Yeah it's good.

I am a bit lukewarm to the current season of Wixoss. The prior seasons had a looming threat, high stakes, and it feels like it's condensed into a standard arena battler with no intrigue. That said the fact a duel opened at the end of the current episode via the oldschool route means that perhaps there's still otherworldly fuckiness to come...

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4367 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 16 February 2021 - 05:19 PM

Jesus F Christ that Wonder Egg Priority animation, we are not worthy of this. Oof and that scene with the neck grab was terrifying.

#4368 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 17 February 2021 - 08:41 AM

View PostD, on 16 February 2021 - 05:19 PM, said:

Jesus F Christ that Wonder Egg Priority animation, we are not worthy of this. Oof and that scene with the neck grab was terrifying.

That one second frame of crucial plot point was a full blown Joseph Joestar overraction moment. Good lord this is good stuff.

Slime has gone full tilt down the 'religious humans are evil' track, have to see how it pans out but at least it's accurate to real life eh*.

*kekeke

I quite like that we've got two somewhat psychological horror shows this season. WEP entirely goes down the psychological route, whereas Otherside is full on creepy what-the-fuckery.

Promised Neverland S2 is kind of disappointing. I'm aware that Arc 1 of the manga was the high point and it's all downhill from there, but that premise really needed the looming, unseen threat of the unknown to really shine.

#4369 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 17 February 2021 - 04:46 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 17 February 2021 - 08:41 AM, said:

Slime has gone full tilt down the 'religious humans are evil' track, have to see how it pans out but at least it's accurate to real life eh*.

Yeah, and even the other isekai'd characters turned out being just pure sadistic evil people, too. Pretty boring choice.

#4370 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 18 February 2021 - 08:40 AM

View PostD, on 17 February 2021 - 04:46 PM, said:

Yeah, and even the other isekai'd characters turned out being just pure sadistic evil people, too. Pretty boring choice.

The way I interpreted it was an Eriksonian take on otherism, prejudice etc. Just way more ham-fisted and with no inch of subtlety.

#4371 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 18 February 2021 - 05:54 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 18 February 2021 - 08:40 AM, said:

View PostD, on 17 February 2021 - 04:46 PM, said:

The way I interpreted it was an Eriksonian take on otherism, prejudice etc. Just way more ham-fisted and with no inch of subtlety.

Haha, yes, exactly

#4372 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 18 February 2021 - 06:22 PM

so i enjoyed how wholesome slime is as an anime....

Really didn't like the script being changed last episode.

#4373 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 22 February 2021 - 08:54 AM

AOT: ah yes, twist the knife in why don't you. That was a yikes from me dog.

I am really enjoying Jobless Reincarnation this season. The music, art and characters all point to something wholesome but there's always that reminder that seedy, ugly things are happening in the background.

#4374 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:08 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 22 February 2021 - 08:54 AM, said:

Spoiler

#4375 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:45 PM

View PostD, on 23 February 2021 - 01:08 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 22 February 2021 - 08:54 AM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4376 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 24 February 2021 - 04:07 AM

Another Tuesday, another excellent Wonder Egg Priority episode and a stupid Slime episode.

(God I hate writing where the main character leader-type person misses some calamity, gets to the site of the event, and instead of being like "Are we still under attack? What's going on? Give me clear and simple updates now!" you get long, drawn out "My lord, we have much information to tell you but I won't say anything specific. Please slowly follow me into a meeting room and wait for me to dispense tea while I look tearily towards the sky every 30 seconds." It's clearly supposed to be building tension but it fails miserably because everyone is just acting so stupid and unnatural.)

Spoiler

#4377 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:38 AM

That WEP episode got heavy quickly.

The reaction of the doll guys to Rika was interesting and kind of disturbing. Almost like "Ah shit, here we go again".

What really gets me about this show? The OP is so gentle and peaceful, and the ED is jaunty and upbeat - and neither alludes to the tumult and torment contained within.

#4378 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:14 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 24 February 2021 - 08:38 AM, said:

That WEP episode got heavy quickly.

The reaction of the doll guys to Rika was interesting and kind of disturbing. Almost like "Ah shit, here we go again".

What really gets me about this show? The OP is so gentle and peaceful, and the ED is jaunty and upbeat - and neither alludes to the tumult and torment contained within.

The episodes tend to start with 5 minutes of happy hangouts/texting/etc between the girls, too. Really draws you in before the shoe drops.

#4379 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 26 February 2021 - 08:43 PM

View PostD, on 24 February 2021 - 04:07 AM, said:

Another Tuesday, another excellent Wonder Egg Priority episode and a stupid Slime episode.

(God I hate writing where the main character leader-type person misses some calamity, gets to the site of the event, and instead of being like "Are we still under attack? What's going on? Give me clear and simple updates now!" you get long, drawn out "My lord, we have much information to tell you but I won't say anything specific. Please slowly follow me into a meeting room and wait for me to dispense tea while I look tearily towards the sky every 30 seconds." It's clearly supposed to be building tension but it fails miserably because everyone is just acting so stupid and unnatural.)

Spoiler

couldnt agree more... slime worked because of how wholesome it was. Now its trying to be a serious show... its just... bad.

#4380 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 27 February 2021 - 12:44 AM

View PostBriar King, on 26 February 2021 - 08:55 PM, said:

Getting back into SAO Underworld or whatever the fuck it’s called. Lots of epic spodly shit going down.

I soured on the finale of the first third of that part of SAO and never ended up watching the rest of it, but I did see some very nice fighty clips from the later parts that did indeed look pretty epic.

View PostBriar King, on 26 February 2021 - 08:55 PM, said:

Building up some AOT S4 before I dive in. Have 6 on dvr currently.

Yessss, join the hype train. (Though is it looking like this isn't really the "final season" and more like "first half of the final season" ??)

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users