• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#4521 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 25 June 2021 - 02:25 PM

"Over 2 hours long" what? The original Gundam is like 40 episodes. Is Netflix doing another bamboozle and labeling the recap movies as the original Gundam or something?

And yeah, Hathaway movie already came out in Japan and the English release is coming next week IIRC.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4522 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 25 June 2021 - 03:36 PM

View PostD, on 25 June 2021 - 02:25 PM, said:

"Over 2 hours long" what? The original Gundam is like 40 episodes. Is Netflix doing another bamboozle and labeling the recap movies as the original Gundam or something?

And yeah, Hathaway movie already came out in Japan and the English release is coming next week IIRC.

I think he's talking about the movies where Tomino reworked the TV series footage into three separate compilation movies. They did MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM I and MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM II, MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM III, and they were all recently added to Netflix.

I don't think the original show is on there in its entirety. At least not in Canada.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4523 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 27 June 2021 - 02:44 PM

so apparently the creators of the new gundam have drawn inspiration from canadian military bases.

https://twitter.com/...0274680832?s=20

#4524 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 28 June 2021 - 08:11 AM

Godzilla Singular Point.

Interesting spin on an old story, but bloody hell - what a metric shit-ton of meaningless garbled technobabble! :wacko:

I haven't been this confused since Evangelion. What kind of drugs are Japanese anime writers on?

I think I'm just going to ignore the technical stuff and just stick to the main plot points.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 28 June 2021 - 08:50 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#4525 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 28 June 2021 - 12:14 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 28 June 2021 - 08:11 AM, said:

Godzilla Singular Point.

Interesting spin on an old story, but bloody hell - what a metric shit-ton of meaningless garbled technobabble! :wacko:

I haven't been this confused since Evangelion. What kind of drugs are Japanese anime writers on?

I think I'm just going to ignore the technical stuff and just stick to the main plot points.

The writer of Godzilla SP is a guy with a PhD in "the mathematics of natural languages" who then became an author. Fun guy. According to this article/interview, his works are "the subject of heated discussions and have even evoked harsh reviews calling his work 'indigestible', 'sleep-inducing,' and 'reader-unfriendly'." ^_^

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4526 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 June 2021 - 12:18 PM

Godzilla Singular Point.

View PostD, on 28 June 2021 - 12:14 PM, said:

Godzilla Singular Point.

The writer of Godzilla SP is a guy with a PhD in "the mathematics of natural languages" who then became an author. Fun guy. According to this article/interview, his works are "the subject of heated discussions and have even evoked harsh reviews calling his work 'indigestible', 'sleep-inducing,' and 'reader-unfriendly'." ^_^

Well now I HAVE to check it out...lol!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4527 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 28 June 2021 - 05:25 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 23 June 2021 - 07:29 AM, said:

86 - Expected there to be an ep 12 considering how the LN finishes but this does mean that volume 1 hasn't been entirely covered. I assume that the epilogue will form the start of season 2, or possibly a second cour.

Yeah, they've announced a season 2 already.

I wasn't very impressed with the ending, but we've already talked about the show upthread so I'll say no more.

View PostMaark Abbott, on 23 June 2021 - 07:29 AM, said:

Koikimo - predictable, sort of fluffy romance. Not bad overall.

Is that the one that started out this season with a 16-yr old dating a 30-yr old "nice guy" creep? Did they actually turn that around somehow?

My season wrap-up:

Mashiro no Oto -- kept up the faffy high school sports club cliches until the end, even had the gall to throw in a quick cut of the more interesting first episode characters to twist the knife in further, total let down.

Slime Witch -- Was fun all the way through in a low-stakes fluffy way. I'm glad it's not longer, 'cause it doesn't feel like it has enough substance to keep going, but it was fine for what it is and just 1 cour.

Pretty Boy Detective Club -- Very pretty, very artsy, but the story/the mysteries were pretty boring so I didn't end up liking it that much.

But the best is yet to come, though! We've got both the Oddtaxi and Wonder Egg Priority finales in less than 24 hours! So excited!!!

Not quite caught up on all of Vivy yet, but it's very good so far, too.

#4528 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 28 June 2021 - 06:20 PM

View PostBriar King, on 28 June 2021 - 06:04 PM, said:

Also some kid named Hathaway was just introduced so I’m putting my brain to work and assuming the new movie Hathaway is featuring him lol.

Lol, yes it is.

View PostBriar King, on 28 June 2021 - 06:04 PM, said:

Also nippleless titties just look weird. I was really surprised to see them in those movies. Maybe they are always in the shows but we get the edited stuff on western cable tv?

American TV does/did have a habit of censoring older anime, yes, though I think that was more editing out the scenes with boobs entirely, not just changing the nipples.

#4529 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 29 June 2021 - 12:47 AM

Oddtaxi finale was astounding and beautiful and awesome

#4530 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 June 2021 - 12:48 PM

Finished Godzilla Singular Point.

Like I said, interesting spin on the old story. But waaaaaaay too much sheer gibberish. The dialogue is just ... bad.
The worst part is there's hardly any crazy kaiju action, and what action there is, is covered in "red dust" which makes it hard to see anything. :ermm:

I see what they tried to do but I won't be bothering with any season 2.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 29 June 2021 - 01:04 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#4531 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 30 June 2021 - 05:09 AM

Aaaand Wonder Egg Priority finale does NOT stick the landing, ladies and gentlemen. Yikes, that was a lot of nothingburger to wait a month for.

#4532 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 06 July 2021 - 11:09 AM

Yeah the studio really fucked the WEP ending up. It was a lot of pretty, confusing nothing that answered nothing and kind of aimlessly farted about. To put it in numbers, the main series has a rating of about 8/10 on MAL, the ending has a rating of 5/10.

Also Koikimo was more like 16/26 (he's described as ten years older than her) or something like that but somehow it came out really wholesome. Might be getting the numbers mixed up, mind.

Shadows House ending was fun, leaves the series open for a second season easily.

New season starters:

Girlfriend, Girlfriend - ho boy this is a ludicrous hot mess. And it COULD be fun but I'll need to give it a few more episodes before I make a judgement call.

Remake our Lives - interesting idea, has the potential to go places if they focus more on character development and less on romance and whatnot.

Realist Hero - having read some of the LNs, it's basically Spice and Wolf economics crossed with isekai harem. Not much else to say. Ep1 was fine.

Higurashi S2- holy fuck the hatchet loli dismembered a fucking hooker jesus fucking what

Bakarina S2 - more of the same, fun enough.

Duke of Death and his Maid - kind of cute in a will they won't they way, the art style is a bit jarring.

Detective is Dead - seems fun after the first double episode. One to watch out for.

Uramichi - fuck me this is mood. Had no idea what I was getting me into but the humour is on point and just 'my dreams are fucking crushed' enough for me.

Peach Boy Riverside - weird take on the Momoko legend, again has potential but will need a few episodes. Could be furry bait.

Spirit Chronicles - basic ass fantasy but I'm a sucker for that shit. Ep1 was fun.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4533 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 07 July 2021 - 03:21 AM

Finally got around to watching the Demon Slayer Movie.

Was pretty enjoyable all the way through.

#4534 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 07 July 2021 - 07:36 AM

Oh yeah that's what's on my post-holiday list isn't it. Might try and see it on Friday or Saturday depending on time.

#4535 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 July 2021 - 12:52 PM

Back into NARUTO SHIPPUDEN after a break, and already enjoying it immensely. Only 8 eps into the first arc, but great stuff.

Also, now I can't get the opening theme out of my head for this portion of the series.

#4536 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 07 July 2021 - 11:31 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 July 2021 - 12:52 PM, said:

Back into NARUTO SHIPPUDEN after a break, and already enjoying it immensely. Only 8 eps into the first arc, but great stuff.

Also, now I can't get the opening theme out of my head for this portion of the series.

naruto had good OPs

#4537 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 July 2021 - 01:13 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 07 July 2021 - 11:31 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 July 2021 - 12:52 PM, said:

naruto had good OPs

So very good! I can’t bring myself to skip them.

#4538 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 08 July 2021 - 07:43 AM

Dragon Maid season 2 dropped. KyoAni back in play, and it was gloriously silly fun as ever. Looking real nice too.

Added a couple of middling isekai to the list - Drug Store and Tsukimichi. Time fillers, but I'm a slag for trash isekai.

#4539 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 08 July 2021 - 01:45 PM

I could go for some trash isekai this summer. I'll grab Realist Hero and one of Drug Store or Tsuki - which do you think had the more interesting start?

#4540 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 July 2021 - 03:21 PM

Anyone looking fwd to WORDS BUBBLE UP LIKE SODA POP coming on Netflix? Looks like some really good slice of life.

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users