• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#4541 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 08 July 2021 - 03:31 PM

QuickTidal, on 08 July 2021 - 03:21 PM, said:

Anyone looking fwd to WORDS BUBBLE UP LIKE SODA POP coming on Netflix? Looks like some really good slice of life.

Honestly... not really? Feels like sort of a "A Silent Voice was a hit, let's do that too" movie. And its the writer of Ergo Proxy/Listeners with the director of Your Lie in April/Children of the Whales, neither of which are cause for excitement to me.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4542 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 July 2021 - 05:02 PM

D, on 08 July 2021 - 03:31 PM, said:

QuickTidal, on 08 July 2021 - 03:21 PM, said:

Anyone looking fwd to WORDS BUBBLE UP LIKE SODA POP coming on Netflix? Looks like some really good slice of life.

Honestly... not really? Feels like sort of a "A Silent Voice was a hit, let's do that too" movie. And its the writer of Ergo Proxy/Listeners with the director of Your Lie in April/Children of the Whales, neither of which are cause for excitement to me.

Well alright, I'll check it out and let you guys know if it's any good.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4543 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 09 July 2021 - 07:49 AM

D, on 08 July 2021 - 01:45 PM, said:

I could go for some trash isekai this summer. I'll grab Realist Hero and one of Drug Store or Tsuki - which do you think had the more interesting start?

Tsuki and Realist imo. A run down for each:

Tsuki - a guy is isekai'd but the goddess of the world he goes to says he's butt ugly and casts him out of human society. He's still ludicrously overpowered. First episode felt vaguely like KonoSuba cross Cautious Hero, but with less zany. Animation reminds me of Arifureta.

Realist - a guy is summoned to crush the demons, points out to the king that he was summoned without permission and has no desire to be enslaved by a more powerful nation nearby, details a plan for economic recovery, the king says well shit, here's my crown boyo, you're king now. It goes harem later.

Drug Store - it's slow comfy stuff like Slime Witch. Very slow. If you want some mindless moeblob isekai this is the one - a guy has been isekai'd as an alchemist and does alchemist things with no element of peril or danger.

Between Tsuki and Drug Store it really just depends what style you'd prefer to lose brain cells to.

As an aside, Aquatope ep1 dropped and damn, that was fucking gorgeous. Gonna enjoy this one.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4544 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 12 July 2021 - 07:40 AM

Picked up Vinland Saga. Annoyed that I slept on this. Four episodes in and it's real fucking good.

#4545 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 14 July 2021 - 06:42 PM

Maark Abbott, on 12 July 2021 - 07:40 AM, said:

Picked up Vinland Saga. Annoyed that I slept on this. Four episodes in and it's real fucking good.

good timing as season 2 was announced

#4546 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 15 July 2021 - 03:35 AM

Maark Abbott, on 09 July 2021 - 07:49 AM, said:

D, on 08 July 2021 - 01:45 PM, said:

I could go for some trash isekai this summer. I'll grab Realist Hero and one of Drug Store or Tsuki - which do you think had the more interesting start?

Tsuki and Realist imo. A run down for each:

Tsuki - a guy is isekai'd but the goddess of the world he goes to says he's butt ugly and casts him out of human society. He's still ludicrously overpowered. First episode felt vaguely like KonoSuba cross Cautious Hero, but with less zany. Animation reminds me of Arifureta.

Realist - a guy is summoned to crush the demons, points out to the king that he was summoned without permission and has no desire to be enslaved by a more powerful nation nearby, details a plan for economic recovery, the king says well shit, here's my crown boyo, you're king now. It goes harem later.

Drug Store - it's slow comfy stuff like Slime Witch. Very slow. If you want some mindless moeblob isekai this is the one - a guy has been isekai'd as an alchemist and does alchemist things with no element of peril or danger.

Between Tsuki and Drug Store it really just depends what style you'd prefer to lose brain cells to.

As an aside, Aquatope ep1 dropped and damn, that was fucking gorgeous. Gonna enjoy this one.

Thanks for that! I think I'll go with Tsuki, then. Though might end up doing more like 3-4 episodes at a time instead of keeping up with it weekly, I get the feeling summer is going to be inconsistent like that.

Gonna try and also keep up with Peach Boy Riverside, Sonny Boy, Aquatope, and Kageki Shoujo!!, too (and those probably more weekly), but we'll see. Aquatope first episode was indeed very nice, I get the sense it'll be a slow, laid back but heartwarming story, though the CG is annoyingly bad.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4547 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 15 July 2021 - 07:54 AM

What's crack with Kageki Shoujo? Key art looks nice but I've been too busy to check it out.

Vinland Saga gets better and better and I'm annoyed I didn't follow on release.

#4548 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 15 July 2021 - 06:09 PM

Maark Abbott, on 15 July 2021 - 07:54 AM, said:

What's crack with Kageki Shoujo? Key art looks nice but I've been too busy to check it out.

Not a whole lot to say about it quite yet, tbh. It's about girls attending an all-girls performing arts school that is quite obviously the Takarazuka Revue academy in all but name. The main duo are a hyperactive doofus with a kabuki background and a gloomy former idol.

With the Takarazuka theme there's an inevitable comparison to Kageki Revue Starlight and Kageki Shoujo has big shoes to fill with it following that. No talking giraffes so far.

#4549 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 16 July 2021 - 07:53 AM

I might check it out if I run out of other stuff.

Aquatope continues to look bloody gorgeous.

#4550 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 20 July 2021 - 04:00 PM

D'rek!!!!!!!!

i needs a favour.

I started seeing a lady and she's never watched anime before but she's willing to give it a go.

So i was wondering if you had any reccomendations for me for someone who is getting their feet wet for the first time.

*disclaimer: Im fully aware you are not said lady and in no way have the same anime pallete. I just figured i'd starts reaching through my network for ideas.

#4551 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 20 July 2021 - 10:23 PM

Ok, I can give it a try. Do you want a TV show or a movie? Are you two going to watch it together? What sort of TV is she usually into?

#4552 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 23 July 2021 - 07:53 AM

Peach Boy is all oert oyle. Did Tarantino direct this? Are we one episode away from twenty minutes of his demented foot lust again? Even Pulp Fiction was more linear!

#4553 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 23 July 2021 - 11:51 AM

Up to e19 on Vinland now. Hot shit diggity dog. This is true pog.

#4554 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:09 PM

D, on 20 July 2021 - 10:23 PM, said:

Ok, I can give it a try. Do you want a TV show or a movie? Are you two going to watch it together? What sort of TV is she usually into?

Both can work.

Watching together.

Shes a big history person. So we started off with one of my personal favourites which is Le Chevalier d'eon which she seems to be enjoying so far (which im thrilled) but not sure where to go from there once we finished.

Were alternating who picks the thing so next sunday ill find out a bit more as its her turn to pick.

#4555 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:10 PM

Maark Abbott, on 23 July 2021 - 11:51 AM, said:

Up to e19 on Vinland now. Hot shit diggity dog. This is true pog.

Indeed. There was that one episode with the blond guy that dragged but its a banger pretty much all the way through.

#4556 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 July 2021 - 04:48 PM

LinearPhilosopher, on 23 July 2021 - 04:09 PM, said:

Both can work.

Watching together.

Shes a big history person. So we started off with one of my personal favourites which is Le Chevalier d'eon which she seems to be enjoying so far (which im thrilled) but not sure where to go from there once we finished.

Were alternating who picks the thing so next sunday ill find out a bit more as its her turn to pick.

Just chiming in...hope that's okay...

What about YOUR NAME? It's a pretty big title, is only a movie so not much investment, and has a few pretty common anime tropes in it.

My wife does not watch anime, but I got her to watch YOUR NAME a while back and she enjoyed it thoroughly.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 23 July 2021 - 04:48 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4557 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 23 July 2021 - 07:48 PM

QuickTidal, on 23 July 2021 - 04:48 PM, said:

LinearPhilosopher, on 23 July 2021 - 04:09 PM, said:

Both can work.

Watching together.

Just chiming in...hope that's okay...

What about YOUR NAME? It's a pretty big title, is only a movie so not much investment, and has a few pretty common anime tropes in it.

My wife does not watch anime, but I got her to watch YOUR NAME a while back and she enjoyed it thoroughly.

omg thats brilliant.

il try not to cry.

#4558 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 23 July 2021 - 08:52 PM

Yeah, if you think she'll like a teenage romance story Your Name will work plenty fine.

Another good, recent movie you could go for that has the historical aspect is In This Corner of the World (it's a drama about the life of a rural family during WW2).

I don't really know what "she's a big history person" means though other than to recommend literal historical docudramas, but there's not a lot of good ones of those. Are fictional stories set in historical or quasi-historical settings more interesting to her? Would still be good to get an idea of what genres she likes, history or no history, and any big dislikes... ie some people really prefer anime about adults regardless of genre, or some don't care for anything really action-focused, etc.

I've never known an anime-watching girl who doesn't like Ouran Host Club, but it's a very anime anime so I'm scared to recommend it without knowing anything about her.

#4559 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 25 July 2021 - 04:11 PM

D, on 23 July 2021 - 08:52 PM, said:

Yeah, if you think she'll like a teenage romance story Your Name will work plenty fine.

Another good, recent movie you could go for that has the historical aspect is In This Corner of the World (it's a drama about the life of a rural family during WW2).

I don't really know what "she's a big history person" means though other than to recommend literal historical docudramas, but there's not a lot of good ones of those. Are fictional stories set in historical or quasi-historical settings more interesting to her? Would still be good to get an idea of what genres she likes, history or no history, and any big dislikes... ie some people really prefer anime about adults regardless of genre, or some don't care for anything really action-focused, etc.

I've never known an anime-watching girl who doesn't like Ouran Host Club, but it's a very anime anime so I'm scared to recommend it without knowing anything about her.

Solid.

So tonight is her night to pick something to watch so well see what I can learn about her tastes.

#4560 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:24 PM

LinearPhilosopher, on 25 July 2021 - 04:11 PM, said:

D, on 23 July 2021 - 08:52 PM, said:

Solid.

So tonight is her night to pick something to watch so well see what I can learn about her tastes.

Yes, tell us!

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users