• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The game I'm playing is...

#41 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:04 PM

Not even Doom 3 criticism?

Speaking of Doom. Supposedly Doom 4 is next up after id finishes RAGE.

I really hope they go against the trend and just go old school with that game. Forget the story beyond the fact that you are some marine trapped in post apocalyptic Mars/Earth/Hell and you want to go from point A to B. Just give us 60 levels where the mission is to find some keys and cards and located the exit (or secret exit). Make it really gory. Really violent. Really intricate. Make it co-op multiplayer. And then when this shit becomes a success like it has to be because it is fucking DOOM... Then release 30 new levels as DLC every 6 months for the next ten years.

And for the love of god, drop all that Darkness crap. Just corridors and open rooms with hundreds of monsters to blow in half.

This post has been edited by Battle Plaptypus: 08 June 2011 - 08:06 PM

#42 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:54 PM

Apt, I think Serious Sam 3 may scratch that itch of yours....
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#43 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:11 AM

The talk about Hitman in the E3 thread has made me want to play them. Although Blood Money doesn't work. :)
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#44 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:59 PM

View PostBattle Plaptypus, on 08 June 2011 - 08:04 PM, said:

Not even Doom 3 criticism?

Speaking of Doom. Supposedly Doom 4 is next up after id finishes RAGE.

I really hope they go against the trend and just go old school with that game. Forget the story beyond the fact that you are some marine trapped in post apocalyptic Mars/Earth/Hell and you want to go from point A to B. Just give us 60 levels where the mission is to find some keys and cards and located the exit (or secret exit). Make it really gory. Really violent. Really intricate. Make it co-op multiplayer. And then when this shit becomes a success like it has to be because it is fucking DOOM... Then release 30 new levels as DLC every 6 months for the next ten years.

And for the love of god, drop all that Darkness crap. Just corridors and open rooms with hundreds of monsters to blow in half.

From what I heard of Doom 4 and id's plans for it, that's exactly what they want to do.

And you have to remember, a lot of Doom 3's darkness came from the fact that most machines in that time wouldn't be able to handle massive carnage in that engine. Also, it wasn't a bad game, really. I loved it.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#45 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:05 PM

Doom 3s demands were so heavy unfortunately that they couldn't put more than a handful of monsters on screen at a time. It completely ruined the battle royal feeling you often got in the old games where you were fighting a hundred pinkies, imps, cocoa demons, etc. at one time with some spider demons and Barons of Hell in the mix in an open court yard.

I both hated and loved playing that game. The atmosphere really was impressive, and it was gorgeous, but at the same time, it was just too much. The old doom games were intense at times, even scary for a 10 year old kid, but the old Doom games favored action over atmosphere. They were bright and shiny at times. There were small corridors but also big open spaces. Doom 3 was just one small room or corridor network after another in darkness and flickering light. I felt playing the game was more of a chore than fun. The only part of Doom 3 where I was really having fun was when you entered Hell to get the Soul Cube. That was a return to old school doom.

#46 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:53 PM

Much of you say is true. For me, the part I loved most was when you went to that communications tower and for a considerable bits there were... no monsters at all. I was genuinely scared shitless.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#47 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:17 AM

Finished S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky

Call of Prypyat is next.

edit: played this for 1 and a half gameday.

in every installment, GSC has been taking the series somewhere different.
in this case, they took the survival and horror elements of the original, added a quest system ripped out of an RPG, took the 2 good innovations form Clear sky (artifact hunts + gear upgrades), then added stealth elements out of teh thief series (sight and sound detection), and made a pretty Diablo-esque UI.

the result is like really best described as an amalgamation of genres. I likes it.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 10 June 2011 - 11:05 PM

#48 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:08 AM

Downloaded InFamous and Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty from PSN as the two welcome back games. Quite enjoying both. Though I went down the evil route in InFamous by mistakenly lashing out at some bystanders.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#49 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

View Postjitsukerr, on 13 June 2011 - 11:08 AM, said:

Though I went down the evil route in InFamous by mistakenly lashing out at some bystanders.

It's pretty easy to adjust your karma in that game. Half way through I'd already maxed out my good karma.

I'm currently playing the Metroid Prime Trilogy. This game is amazing. It's a shame that the Wii has such shitty hardware because playing in FPS mode is a hell of a lot easier with a Wii controller than with a joypad.

This post has been edited by Pennyapt: 13 June 2011 - 12:07 PM

#50 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:12 AM

Playing LA Noir and I absolutely love it. The voice acting alone is worth the time it takes to play through the thing.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#51 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:23 PM

Yeah and the music is amazing as well. I find myself just cruising in the car when one of those slow blues tracks comes on. Sad trumpets are sad.

#52 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:21 AM

Since I can't get my copy of Dragon Age to work properly, i've went back to my "to play" pile.

currently playing through No One lives forever, and loving it.

#53 User is offline   Satan 

• Hunting for love

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:12 AM

Also going through my 'to play' pile (which had gotten rather big during my final months of thesis writing). Now I'm on Gothic 3. Which is really, really bad. But still, it's been a long, long time since I've gotten this involved in a computer game. I don't get it. There are so many shit aspects of this game, I should be hating it. Yet all I can think of while I'm at work is getting back and playing some more Gothic 3.
Legalise drugs! And murder!

#54 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:21 AM

Playing the beta for Six Gun Saga, cryptic comets latest release. For € 10,- it is a neat little single player (card)game, although there is still some balancing to be done, and you'll perhaps play it for 20 hours before having seen it all.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#55 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:14 PM

View PostBrynjar, on 20 June 2011 - 07:12 AM, said:

Also going through my 'to play' pile (which had gotten rather big during my final months of thesis writing). Now I'm on Gothic 3. Which is really, really bad. But still, it's been a long, long time since I've gotten this involved in a computer game. I don't get it. There are so many shit aspects of this game, I should be hating it. Yet all I can think of while I'm at work is getting back and playing some more Gothic 3.

It's rather mediocre, and certainly worse then the previous Gothic games, but at least it's a real Gothic game. Completely unlike Arcania. It has, of course, it's faults, but it's still better than many.

As for the topic title, well... Morrowind. Morrowind!

#56 User is offline   POOPOO MCBUMFACE 

• High Fist

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:46 PM

Finished the Bad Company 2 SP. Urgh. It only got worse on the gameplay front, with the last few levels being entirely set in blatantly linear corridors, and with the previously-amusing plot culminating in a genuinely unsettling trough of AMERICA FUCK YEAHism; the silly liberal pacifist finally proves his worth and that he's a real bro/man by taking up arms and mowing down Russians, because you just can't be a hero - or a good guy, period - unless you've killed at least a dozen people. Then the ending revealed that those evil slimy Russians have invaded America, just in case anyone thought this wasn't CoD. Anyone seeing a bit of a get-the-proles-riled-up-against-Eurasia propaganda campaign? Just me?

Off to wash the bad taste out of my mouth with some Doom 2.

This post has been edited by POOPOO MCBUMFACE: 28 June 2011 - 04:49 PM

#57 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:45 PM

I'm playing Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean​ - a Gamecube RPG (playing it on my roommate's Wii). It's been pretty engrossing so far, reminds me a lot of old SNES RPGs like FF6, but with much better graphics. The combat/item system is unusual but pretty fun. The writing is sometimes pretty bad, the plot drags in a couple spots and the voice acting is EAR-GOUGINLY BAD, but you can skip through dialogue as fast as you can press the A button so you don't have to put up with it! Oh, and it is NOT crammed full of cut-scenes like the newer JRPGs. I'd recommend it for anyone who likes RPGs.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#58 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:06 AM

Just played through crysis again. Not sure it was worth it but that last boss was amusing.

Playing PES 2011 right now. cant believe Ronaldinhos a classic player. What were they thinking?
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#59 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 30 June 2011 - 12:06 PM

Fable III...I think 'meh' sums up my feelings rather nicely.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#60 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

View PostMTS, on 30 June 2011 - 12:06 PM, said:

Fable III...I think 'meh' sums up my feelings rather nicely.

That game must be the stupidest over-hyped game I've ever played.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

Share this topic:

• 237 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users