• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Meh

#21 User is offline   spernst 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:57 PM

so the gist of this thread seems to be that ICE isn't as good as Erikson, but the stories do add to the overall mythos of Malaz? what about the bauchelain/broach stories? are they worth a read?

#22 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:13 PM

Very much so. I mean if you liked their part in MOI, the novellas are pretty similar -- dark comic tone, grossout humor and slapstick, some very creepy stuff, and interesting immersion into towns and cultures you don't get in the main series. Plus Emancipor Reese has one of the single greatest vomit scenes I've ever read, it had me laughing for minutes on end.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#23 User is offline   Black Winged Lord 

• Sergeant

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:27 AM

Whale semen.
That should be all the motivation you'll require to delve into the bauchelain/broach novellas.

As for KoK etc, have to agree with Harvester upthread. While the topic matter in Return and Stoneweilder are just as fascinating as anything else Malazan and cover some truly epic encounters, I think KoK is the best read for its simplicity and the fact that nothing really screams 'out of place' to me, as much as the other books.

#24 User is offline   Abberon 

• Fist

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:26 PM

I agree with BWL and enjoyed NoK the most out of the first two ICE novels. I also preferred RCG to Toll the Hounds and DoD, which were the two books I read before and after RCG. ICE's pacing was much better than those two books IMO and I didn't feel like I had to slog through as much of the philosophy.

This post has been edited by Abberon: 21 June 2011 - 09:23 PM

#25 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:53 PM

Why are we abbreviating it as "KoK" now?
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#26 User is offline   Abberon 

• Fist

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:24 PM

In the British Commonwealth, we actually spell "night" with a silent K, so like, "Kni...."

Good catch. No idea why but I fell into it.

#27 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 21 June 2011 - 09:59 PM

Tee hee...you said 'KoK'.

What?
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#28 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:10 PM

View PostAbberon, on 21 June 2011 - 09:24 PM, said:

In the British Commonwealth, we actually spell "night" with a silent K, so like, "Kni...."

Good catch. No idea why but I fell into it.

I thought that "knight" was a medieval cavalry type warrior, whereas "night" is the period when the sun is on the other side of the Earth from the observer.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#29 User is offline   Luzburg 

• Master Exploder

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:06 AM

Someones mind elsewhere?

I reread this over two nights and I have to say it gripped me as much or even more than the last few times I picked it up. Thoroughly enojoyed it once again.

#30 User is offline   vomitoff 

• Recruit

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:47 PM

NoK was a good read. Basically, how more explosive could the night that Kellan and Dance ascended be? NoK had plenty of shit going on, and this was a convergence (only that, unlike SE's books, this convergence that centred around Malaz City involved mortals and just one ascendant-type, the guardian of the Azath). Some people may have complaints that it didn't have a 'wow' factor compared to similar events in SE's books, but NoK was good as can be.
RotCG was a very good read. Traveller + Kyle story (Father Sky, was it?) + Skinner + K'azz + Rell vs Ryllandaras. I mean, come on!

#31 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:15 AM

Its a good way to do the Sword falling outside Yghatan aswell.

Crazy Theory- In the earlier books isnt Cotillion described as having a hash mark on his face showing him as a defender of Yghatan? It was this that always made me think Dancer shot him rather than some anonymous CLaw.

#32 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:23 AM

There is no evidence that points to there being any animosity between Dancer and Dassem. Quite the contrary. Through out the stories the relationship between Dancer, Kelanved and Dassem has been described as one of mutual respect and acceptance if not out right friendship, if such a thing was ever possible. They are even mentioned as being the "original three" at one point.

At the time of Dassems fall Kel and Dancer were on one of their sabaticals and hadn't even been seen in the empire for years if not a full decade.

#33 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:01 PM

I know all that. I just thought maybe it was an idea that they toyed with possibly.

Also it never explains why Dancer has Yghatan scars on his face that cross hatch pattern thats mentioned? Have I just made this up or does it ring a few bells for anyone

#34 User is offline   Gatekeeper 

• Fist
  • Interests:Books

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:14 AM

Dancers face has always been described as scarless, iirc. A kinda head nod to "I'm so awesome they can't cut me". I think.
HAIL THE MARINES!

#35 User is offline   NefaraisBredd 

• Fist

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

I look at it like its an added bonus. He isn't a horrendously bad writer, he just can't compare to SE in writing style or ability. However, he does us the favour of telling us stories about events we hear about in SE's books and he does a nice job in Stoneweilder and Orb, Sceptre, Throne. Loved the re-appearance of.the Seguleh!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users