• You cannot reply to this topic

Awesome TCG scenes (yup, spoilers) Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:26 PM

View PostMott, on 16 March 2011 - 06:25 PM, said:

The Bonehunter's shouting 'the Khundryl' and then Gall skewering the FA.

Actually the way I read it was that Gall got a glimpse of the afterlife and the Wickans were honoring him as he did in DG.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#42 User is offline   Mott 

• High Marshall, Dinosaur Hunter, Lunapict
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:22 AM

I went and re-read the scene (I'm bad for getting things mixed up):

Something was pulsing in the air - he could not be certain if it came from outside or from somewhere deep inside him. No. Outside. Voices, rising in rhythm, but he could not quite make out the word. Again and again, the sound rising and falling, coming from somewhere off to his right.

That sound. That sound...voices. They are voices. Rising from the Malazans. What are they saying? What do they shout, again and again?
Abruptly, thick blood crackled in one ear, opened a way through, and he could at last hear the endlessly repeated cry.
'Khundryl khundryl! Khundryl!'

He then thinks about meeting Coltaine and riding with his wickan's through the ancestral plains so it could still be the Wickan's honouring him, that would have a symmetry to it, like the paying the coin scene with the marines.

I forgot to mention (I knew I'd forget to put something in) I loved the scene between Fiddle and Hedge when Fiddler accepts him being back, then the scene with Hedge and the faulty cusser and the dead bridgeburners, Fiddler wanting him to stay and not go back to them.
Mottfather, who art in chat, hallowed be thy name, thy empire come, thy magic be done, on wu as it is in warren. give us this day our daily cahpters, and forgive us our timeline, as we forgive yours, lead us not into goodkind, but deliver us from ayn rand, for thine is the series, the epic, the glory, I<3WJ ~ Obdi and GH

#43 User is offline   Kage-za 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:22 AM

Tufty!

#44 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

View PostKage-za, on 17 March 2011 - 01:22 AM, said:

Tufty!

QFT.

The Imass skin collar was a nice touch.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#45 User is offline   Migol 

• Sergeant

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:38 PM

But his master was lying so still, so emptied of all life.
The Wickan cattledog was not bred for its voice. It rarely barked, and never howled.

Yet the cry that now came from Bent could have awakened the wolf gods themselves.

I'm not ashamed to admit I cried a few man-tears when I read that part

#46 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:55 AM

View PostAbyss, on 10 March 2011 - 04:37 PM, said:

- Tavore almost skewering Ganoes at the end. I threw up in my own mouth a little just then.

I honestly almost put down the book at the end of that paragraph. If Tavore had killed Ganoes it would have broken me. Amazing how much emotion and intensity were crammed into like five lines.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#47 User is offline   Trusty 

• Recruit

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:29 AM

I had a really hard time putting down TCG but I did have to continue with my life so sleep became necessary a few times. One night I was up particularly late and kept thinking "just one more section" and then "okay, now just one more". And then I got to chapter eighteen... I read pp. 505 to 509 (Bantam hard cover) and couldn't stop smiling. I had been waiting patiently since Bonehunters to have Kalam back in the game. And with Quick Ben to boot! I knew that nothing I read in the next hundred pages would make for a more perfect end to my day. I fell asleep with a huge grin on my face. Thank you Mr. Erikson!

#48 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:38 AM

Much of what has already been mentioned was moving and powerful. Gall hearing (as I read it) the Bonehunters chanting for the Khundryl choked me up a bit, and Gesler giving it all for the dog was great. Saddest moment, besides WJ staring out in the direction of Korlat, was the Imass becoming mortal just as they were about to meet the Kholansii army...heartbreaking.

'Compliments of Kalam Mekar'

Gesler and Stormy parting on the stairs and Gesler can't look back...then Gesler pretends the FA has him in her power before he gubs her one.

Yes, Hood taking out Reverence was terrific, although the fact that after all of it, after all that had happened, the Shi'gal arrives and Hood just...turns away with a gesture towards the heart...brilliant.
Victory is mine!

#49 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:59 PM

Biggest cheer moment for me was Kalam's arrival - only a few pages before that I'd been getting annoyed thinking he was going to be left hanging, lol. And then, a bit later, QB sending him here there and everywhere to backstab the bad guys.

Awesome moment: too many! But if I had to pick one, it'd be Korabas battling the dragons.

Bits that made me go "Oh sh!t!": Tool and co coming back to life just as the Kolansii were charging. And the bit where I thought Tavore was going to kill Ganoes. To have her kill both her siblings, well - I may have thrown the book out the window if that had happened.

Saddest moment: Mappo. Definitely Mappo. And then that last moment when Icarium remembered something - sniff.

Misty-eyed moment: Bent guarding Gesler's body. Korlat running off to see Whiskeyjack.

Funniest moment: Tehol's letter to Brys (obviously), but probably Roach latching on to Hood's ankle, lol.

#50 User is offline   Dead Joe 

• Recruit

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:08 PM

Shadowthrone winding up all those gods at coltaines fall was pretty entertaining plus it raised a few questions about Dassems role as Dessembrae. Who knew there could be a part of Dassem that was a prick since hes always been shown in a very favourable light.

#51 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 27 March 2011 - 01:07 AM

my by far favourite was part of the Battle of the Spire. When The Jaghut, the Imass, K'Chain and TTT all collectively gang up on the KOlansi. Just seeing all the Elder races fighting at ones to deny the FAs was just beautiful.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#52 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:35 PM

View PostMentalist, on 27 March 2011 - 01:07 AM, said:

my by far favourite was part of the Battle of the Spire. When The Jaghut, the Imass, K'Chain and TTT all collectively gang up on the KOlansi. Just seeing all the Elder races fighting at ones to deny the FAs was just beautiful.

It was beautiful until you realise that the Forkrul Assail were just Red Shirts waiting for some surprising death. The KCCM who are about 2-3 times as tall as a human, and probably weighs ten times as much, wielding gigantic axes and swords, were being held back if not actually getting their ass kicked by humans. And the T'lan Imass and Jaghut had just gotten nerfed by the blood of a Fener and their power stripped by the FA warren. Pretty much put a downer on how awesome it potentially could have been.

I thought it was really anti-climatic. It had nothing on earlier convergence, namely the Panion Domin.

This post has been edited by Clockwork Apt: 27 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

#53 User is offline   Forestbrain 

• Recruit
  • Interests:.

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:43 PM

When Ganoes speaks to Equity the first time. Anything with Ganoes is my favorite part, by far, though.

When Slichas Ruin meets up with Tulas Shorn and they act like they are going to kill each other at first. The insults they throw at each other are classic.

Totally awesome moment? When Quick is cloaking Kalam and he goes around and sticks his knives into the enemies.

Smiles smiling.

At the end, when Brys and Aranict don't die. That was nice.

And of course, the very end with Fiddler fishing.
Even so.

#54 User is offline   IgnatiusKruppe 

• Lieutenant

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:54 AM

Ah great point on the Snake kids eating pieces of the FA god... And I don't remember those insects being a persistent problem around the Malazans either, in exchange for the flesh of the fallen, the god was giving itself (And if the poetry was any indication, its Assail powers of Voice) to the Snake. The FA destroyed their own God right? Love the implication that he fed the children as a future aid to the armies fighting the FA

Ruin/Shorn's witty banter was excellent.

No matter how much you like or dislike Karsa, his one scene in this book was awesome. Totally within his nature as a character in the story, he bulls his way into the chinashop and throwing the battle into a completely different light. The image of Fener's castle sized eyes suddenly astonished and filling with blood was just too awesome. Same with the effects of the blood rain, although like the 'Voice' and various other explosions or waves of power, it always seems like SE takes the time to note various characters reactions as if to measure their strength, yet i'm always surprised by who gets knocked around most.

#55 User is offline   Varan 

• Sergeant

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:43 PM

These are the Khundryk, the givers if gifts. Remember them, won't you?

I'll admit I became a bit mist eyed at that..

#56 User is offline   RSM616 

• Sergeant

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:57 AM

for me the best part of the book isnt a specific scene but the fact that for the past 6 or 7 books i have hated the crippled god but by the end of this one i actually like him. thats a hell of a talent for writing to be able to do such a massive change of perspective on a character

#57 User is offline   Rysto 

• Recruit

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:35 AM

My favourite part was undoubtedly the greatest card in the history of the Deck of Dragons: The Shaved Knuckle in the Hole.

#58 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:16 PM

I'll try to list scenes that weren't mentioned.

-Badalle learning that Saddic's useless junk was toys. They try and figure out how to play, and Ruthan Gudd decides to use this as the motivation to keep the troops going

-seeing the Snake found, thinking they're saved, only to realize these people are in just as bad a spot as they are. That part was so heart wrenchingly tragic. Also seeing everyone share their water, after knowing how scarce it is, and how the BH and Khundryl are already dehydrated and dying

-Felash's Seguleh handmaiden clearing the FA ship (not sure if this was mentioned)

#59 User is offline   jaysen 

• Corporal

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:09 AM

I thought it was fitting the "book" ended with Icarium. "Friend, I have remembered something."
So many times in the book I choked up, a few times I cried, but this was the most bittersweet scene in all the series.
Why should I infect them with my rage?

#60 User is offline   busy monster 

• Sergeant
  • PipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 26 April 2011 - 01:39 AM

The first truly Malazan card for the Deck of Dragons.

"Behold," Paran said under his breath, "the Shaved Knuckle in the Hole."

I cackled.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users