Malazan Empire: A series-ending note from Steven Erikson - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A series-ending note from Steven Erikson

#21 User is offline   p1000 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Practically anything I come across.

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:28 AM

Wow. I'm not used to contributing to forums (rarely think i know enough) but after floating around here for the last few months, i'm happy to say i'm finally being pulled in. It's a welcoming place. The people on the site and the interactions with Steven Erikson are great. The Malazan world itself is good enough in its own right, but to have a place like this to go to along with it; that's just some sweet icing on a damn fine cake!
Thanks to all who run this site, and thanks to Mr. Erikson himself for a fantastic journey (though he did make me sob like a little child for 10 minutes straight once...Posted Image). Here's hoping all that comes after will live up to the legacy of what's gone before. Míle buíochas duit (a thousand thanks to you)!
PK.

#22 User is offline   Icarium Kalam 

• Shield Anvil
  • the picture is by Merlkir

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:40 AM

Mr. Erikson you are the best storyteller I know. Thanks for the adventures!
(Jen'isand Rul, the Wanderer within the Sword)
'I am the Shield Anvil.' I am Fener's grief. I am the world's grief. And I will hold. I will hold it all, for we are not yet done. <Itkovian>
'We are not born innocent, simply unmeasured.' <Hull Beddict>
'Because a god visits her, Fist. He comes to break her heart. Again and again.'<Nether>
'Fucking dragon.' <Fiddler>
Take my breath. But not this one, not this one. <Apsalar>
'Aye.' It's a good word. I think. More a whole attitude than a word, really. With lots of meaning in it, too. A bit of 'yes' and a bit of 'well fuck' and maybe some 'we're all in this together.' So a word to some up the Malazans. <Sunrise>

#23 User is offline   snoman52 

• Recruit

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:27 AM

Thanks a lot Erikson its been an amazing journey...ruined a lot of other fantasy too lol I haven't been able too read much else since.

#24 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:29 AM

Everything good has to come to an end sometime.

Thank you for the last steep hill and ride of this roller-coaster, Steve.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#25 User is offline   Gatekeeper 

• Fist
  • Interests:Books

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:47 AM

Amazing. These books have meant so much to me, and this site (Thank you so much Hetan and rest of the mods) has really been a solid stone in the turmoil of my life. I first discovered MBotF while serving as a scout in Army, huddled inside my Humvee in Iraq, hiding from the Raraku like sandstorms that raged in that sandbox. When I came back from in theatre, a routine checkup after an IED blast revealed that I had a brain tumor. I was terrified as I made my journey to Stanford to have the tumor removed, and I took only two things with me: a copy of Deadhouse Gates, and the new hardcover of Toll. I read Toll in the ten days I was in ICU (Think that book is crazy? Try reading it while getting pumped full of hard drugs). Needles to say, the series has been very important to me, as well as this site. I've never met anyone from the boards, but I still consider some to be friends. SE, thank you for creating something that brings people together, and at least in my case, comforts. I wish you well, and someday hope to meet you, and perhaps share a cup of coffee, discussing the world and yes, the series. Bring on tCG, and the tissues.

-Gate
HAIL THE MARINES!

#26 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:33 AM

View PostUlrik, on 09 February 2011 - 10:42 PM, said:

View Postdantherabbit, on 09 February 2011 - 07:33 PM, said:

This will be my first post on this wonderful forum, although I have been flying around for some time - but SE finally forced me in a good way to put aside my ghost cloak (thanks for that) :-)

A week ago I just finished Toll the hounds and I think I won't be able to wait for the translation of DoD, so even it's sometimes quite hard to read SE books in my own language, I will try it in original. This is the only way how to find out the end of the whole story (and destiny of all my favorite characters of course) before this year ends. Hmm. I am taking a long way round I suppose :-)

Anyway, I hope SE will keep his promise and will travel to Czech Republic when The Crippled God reveals his face in our country - I didn't manage to reach book signing last year and that was a big mistake :-(

P.S. SE has unknowingly created on this forum another world apart from the Malazan, don't you think? //conspiracy mode on// Or was it his intension to do so? //conspiracy mode off//

Hello, fellow Czech!

Nazdar, nyx, hofyland?:p

And to topic...well, these words are...warming. Thank you Mr. Erikson, Lundin, Kruppe...:thumbup:

I guess it's us living down here. How many SE fans do you know personally? We live in barbarian lands, folks.

Ah well. It's hardly the end! Still two trilogies to go, and the encyclopedia as well! And, to be quite frank, I doubt that Mr Erikson will be able to stay away from Wu after that anyway... :D
Coś się kończy, coś się zaczyna.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#27 User is offline   Mott 

• High Marshall, Dinosaur Hunter, Lunapict
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:39 AM

Thank you Mr Erikson! I am always astounded by the warmth that you convey in your writing to the fandom, you have an amazing earnestness. Your books are beautiful and inspiring and when I finish I know it won't be the end. There will be re-reads and the events and characters that touched me will stay with me. Your books made a big difference to me in the last year, they have given me so much not least of all the confidence to read more challenging material that I worried before about being able to sufficiently understand. This is only the second forum I've ever posted on and although I don't write much (I generally find it hard to express myself) it has been a massive help in understanding events and picking up things that I missed and the people here are very insightful and friendly.

I hope to be at the signing and get the Cripple God signed for my uncle as a huge thank you for introducing me to Malazan. Good luck with all your future projects (not that you need luck when you have such skill).
Mottfather, who art in chat, hallowed be thy name, thy empire come, thy magic be done, on wu as it is in warren. give us this day our daily cahpters, and forgive us our timeline, as we forgive yours, lead us not into goodkind, but deliver us from ayn rand, for thine is the series, the epic, the glory, I<3WJ ~ Obdi and GH

#28 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:48 AM

View PostHetan, on 09 February 2011 - 07:05 PM, said:

crazed chorus.

Yes indeed.
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#29 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:04 AM

I think it was Gene Wolfe who wrote about Tolkien that the fields of Rohan was more real to him than say China.

I can safely say the same about many places and even characters in TMBOTF. So for instance there are a couple of rotten corpses that are more real to me than Obama ...

Thanks for all the gifts.

#30 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:13 AM

I guess it's us living down here. How many SE fans do you know personally? We live in barbarian lands, folks.

Pretty much. The only two SE fans I know around here are who I got hooked on the series. Though this x-mas I had bought and sent GotM and DG to a friend in Latvia and I intend to keep spreading this series to people I know.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#31 User is offline   ThinkingMalaz 

• Sergeant

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:14 AM

Thank you very much for this warm note SE.... You're series has transformed what fantasy should be about for me, and I can't thank you enough for that. Fantasy as a genre was getting really bogged down, and though there always were some writers who tried to get it out of that bog they were always in the minority. Writers like you and George R.R. Martin have breathed new life in a genre I dearly love

#32 User is offline   Beliar 

• Sergeant

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

You sir are amazing. Not only can no other book i read compare to the Malazan books but for to take the time you do to get involved with your fans is just breathtaking.

Many thanks

#33 User is offline   RolandDeschain 

• Corporal

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:21 PM

Awesome! Thanks Steve.

Can't wait for the trilogies.

Cheers.
"Go then, there are other worlds than these."

#34 User is offline   Kruppe 

• Recruit

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:55 PM

Enjoyed every page of every book

Worlds to conquer, worlds to share indeed

#35 User is offline   Griff Edur 

• Corporal

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:33 PM

I too have made very few comments, but I have read many of the forum posts and I cant wait to go to FP in London for the signing, it will be the first time iv ever been to a signing.

It's good to know you (SE) are reading/watching the site, your presence provides an in intimacy or connection to, us, the reader, that goes beyond just reading a book. There is a sense of involvement of the process and an insight into the man, outside of the reflections of personality that are portrayed through the characters. Of course we are not involved in the process, but to hear your input, creates space for us to assume and speculate on the journey you have taken, that in turn makes our journey through the Malazan world that much richer.

Kudos Mr Erikson

This is a quote from a relatively famous fine art photographer that, to me, sums up Erikson's work:

"everything starts in the middle" Graham Lee -1967

Cheers
Martin

#36 User is offline   Gatekeeper 

• Fist
  • Interests:Books

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:10 PM

View PostGriff Edur, on 10 February 2011 - 04:33 PM, said:

I too have made very few comments, but I have read many of the forum posts and I cant wait to go to FP in London for the signing, it will be the first time iv ever been to a signing.

It's good to know you (SE) are reading/watching the site, your presence provides an in intimacy or connection to, us, the reader, that goes beyond just reading a book. There is a sense of involvement of the process and an insight into the man, outside of the reflections of personality that are portrayed through the characters. Of course we are not involved in the process, but to hear your input, creates space for us to assume and speculate on the journey you have taken, that in turn makes our journey through the Malazan world that much richer.

Kudos Mr Erikson

This is a quote from a relatively famous fine art photographer that, to me, sums up Erikson's work:

"everything starts in the middle" Graham Lee -1967

Cheers
Martin

Very well said friend! Have fun at the signing, and represent all of us that can't make it! Will you take photos and perhaps post them?
HAIL THE MARINES!

#37 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:27 PM

Thank you once again for dropping us a line, we always appreciate it. i hope that you will be enjoying some well deserved rest soon, though i am sure that the itch will get to you before long. Malaz for life!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#38 User is offline   Griff Edur 

• Corporal

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:36 PM

I may indeed take my camera and if I get any images that come out well then I will most definitely post them on here.

How about I don a t-shirt that simply says 'REPRESENT!' for everyone who cant make it?
Actually that might be quite embarrassing.....

#39 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:46 PM

Oh, on the topic of you reading our posts, CAN YOU EXTEND YOUR SIGNING IN LONDON SO I CAN COME ALONG PLEASE? You're starting too damned early and I'm busy in the morning. :thumbup:
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#40 User is offline   Luzburg 

• Master Exploder

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

I think I'll start breaking out in sweats when I'm finished reading TCG.

Delighted to hear there will be more Bauchelain and Korbal Broach material coming though :thumbup:

A big thank you to Mr. Erikson for many wonderful reads!

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users