Malazan Empire: A series-ending note from Steven Erikson - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A series-ending note from Steven Erikson

#41 User is offline   Quick Bill 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Philosophy, Growing Food, Cooking Food, Eating Food, Anything with Food, Partying, Camping, Fishing, Hiking, Wandering the Streets, Writing, Reading (Fantasy and otherwise).
  • I am obsessed with the MBoTF. How about you?

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:10 PM

Goosebumps yet again. Thank you Steve. I am both inspired and ... jealous. But jealously can, if we let it, be a powerful motivator: as long as we keep it in perspective.

I'm not sure whether you will read this post, but I have been kicking around the idea of a Phd dissertation involving your work. I wonder whether you are aware of any academic work that has drawn upon the Malazan Book of the Fallen. The resurgence of myth in a contemporary literary context and the creation of history, the noetic and noological re-distributions that are possible, and the sheer power of effect present in your work consistently invokes feelings of awe.

It is , like Kant has written, as though when encountering the sublime we face something horrifyingly beautiful, like the feeling standing at the base of a mountain or torrential waterfall; too overwhelming to fully comprehend yet we try nonetheless. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. While philosophy is my true passion, since I first encountered the Malazan Book of the Fallen not a single day of my life has past where your work isn't centre stage in my thoughts. Perhaps it is obsession, perhaps love, perhaps something else; but either way, it is without a doubt an experience.

Looking forward to many more re-reads and new works,
Your devoted student,
Bill

This post has been edited by Quick Bill: 11 February 2011 - 02:24 AM

"To have dismantled love in order to become capable of loving. To have dismantled one's self in order finally to be alone and meet the true double at the other end of the line. A clandestine passenger on a motionless voyage."
Deleuze and Guattari, Thousand Plateaus p 197

#42 User is offline   Kallyfudge 

• Corporal

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

Awesome, awesome awesome!!!!!!!

#43 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:37 PM

What can I say? Gratz, thanks, and keep up the great job :thumbup:

#44 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

That made me smile. :thumbup:

#45 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:29 PM

No Steve, thank you. For everything.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#46 User is offline   sappers rule 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:love reading

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:22 AM

I rarely post but thanks to this post i might get more invovled with the forum. Just to say that your books are amazing completely different from what i normally read and i enjoyed them greatly. thanking younalot SE for your wonderful books and i hope you write many more.

PS. any chance of any irish book tour??

#47 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:36 AM

Thank you Mr. Erikson and continued success.

#48 User is offline   ShadowThorne 

• Acolyte of Team Quick Ben
  • View gallery
  • "Severed heads always roll down hill..."

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:25 PM

A big thanks to Mr. Steven Erikson! Both for writing and creating the Malazan world and novels, and for taking the time to acknowledge our community and his fans!
Its going to be sad when the series ends but I am looking forward to the books that are in progress and will be released after The Crippled God
"Severed heads always roll down hill..."

#49 User is offline   Luzburg 

• Master Exploder

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:13 PM

View Postsappers rule, on 11 February 2011 - 12:22 AM, said:

I rarely post but thanks to this post i might get more invovled with the forum. Just to say that your books are amazing completely different from what i normally read and i enjoyed them greatly. thanking younalot SE for your wonderful books and i hope you write many more.

PS. any chance of any irish book tour??

I'll second that. Never been to a book signing, never been this mad about a series either! If there was one in dublin I'd probaby drag myself there.

#50 User is offline   p1000 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Practically anything I come across.

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

I'll third that! I'd definitely travel to Dub for it.
PK.

#51 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:22 AM

I am seriously touched that the man himself would take some time to address us directly, the forum community. In response I would just like to give a warm and heartfelt thanks. You have made my reading experience an incomparable delight and opened my eyes to many other similar epics: Abercrombie, Bakker, Rothfuss. It seems a very long time since that 14-yr old kid wandered into a Borders looking for the next installment of the Belgariad and, upon seeing the cover of GotM, thought, "Why not?" So very long. We've had cities and kings, battles and heroes, wry understatements and laugh-out-loud slapstick. We've had chains of dogs and memories of ice, the tolling of hounds and the dust of dreams. It has all been a rollercoaster ride, and is now set to culminate in what I am sure will be a thrilling denouement. From the bottom of my heart I say: thank you, Mr. Erikson, for putting another light into my life. I hope you continue to write for a very long time.

Peace!
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#52 User is offline   polle 

• Recruit

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

Third post in five years so I'd better make it count :(

Most of us agree that the Malazan Book of the Fallen is the most enthralling epic out there, but it is also the most beautifully written one, at least to me.
And so I stand in awe of what you have created here, comforted in the knowledge that there is yet more to come.

Thank you mr Erikson, and mr Esslemont as well, for sharing your world with us.

#53 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:17 PM

Such a gracious note from SE - typical of the man when he visits the forum. The promise of things to look forward for the future is great news for all of us. Look forward to seeing the tour schedule. And maybe he will have time for Hetan and Mal's series ending BBQ?

#54 User is offline   Adhara 

• Lady of Black Magic
  • Returning to my origins

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:40 AM

Thank you, SE, for your words and Hetan for posting!
You English speaking guys have the whole story, but here in Spain we only have till Memories of Ice! So I suppose this site will be alive for a lot of years.
For me, The Malazan Book of the Fallen has been a lesson. I have carried some prejudices against some devices in fantasy: magic should be used with caution, undead people better be avoided, a character too powerful is unbelievable. SE has shattered them all, and I have learned a lot only with this reading.
And, of course, thank you SE for creating Anomandaris!
When the arrow is on the bow, it has to go

#55 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:26 PM

Thank you Mr Erikson! (Gonna say that personally next week in Manc...) It has been an absolute joy reading the books and I can't wait to see what happens next...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#56 User is offline   T3st0 

• Recruit

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:06 AM

By far the best books I have ever read.

Thank you Mr. Erickson for a wild adventure.

I am a little behind (just started RotCG), so I am glad my ride is not over just yet.

#57 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:06 PM

Thus this day I'm closing the final pages of the Book of the Fallen.

In awe and sorrow, in grieve and joy.

I thank you mr. Erikson for this book, these tales for I am a Hood damned Bridgeburner.
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#58 User is offline   naotom 

• Recruit

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

longtime lurker reporting in.

looking forward to saturday - and off down to waterstones now to pick up my copy!

#59 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:11 AM

I think it says something when I can read through The Crippled God in ten straight hours and still feel I couldn't physically read it any slower.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#60 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

All good things must come to an end. I'm dreading and very much looking forward to this particular end. It has been a long, arduous and wonderful journey, one that I'm extremely happy that I started on all those years ago. I have laughed, I have cried, I have cursed your name and I have been...inspired. So I thank you, mr Erikson, for the good times, the bad times, the visions, the dreams, the friends I've made. In short, thank you for everything.

I won't make it to the book signings, which is, perhaps, just as well. I feel I might punch you right in the face, most respectfully of course, as I'm still not quite over certain events in DoD.

I will, however, send someone in my place, who I'm fairly certain won't punch you at all. So, if you see a thin, gaunt fellow at the signing in London (I think) asking you to sign the book to a name that is clearly not his own, that'll be me.....by proxy.

I do hope I'll get to meet you in person some day, in a non-stalker-y kind of way, of course:P
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users