• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls Sequel to Demon's Souls

#21 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:35 AM

Yep, you're way ahead of me - I do only get a couple of hours in the evening tho! Best moment so far - having killed the Taurus (by doing a drop attack from the tower with lightening on my sword) I carried on, looking for a new bonfire. Instead, I get to the dragon. Who fries everyone on the bridge, and I go underneath, and kill two more guards. Then, I'm just reading a message on the ledge (I now have around 5000 souls) and I press 'b' to get off the message screen. Except thats what I've been doing in ME2, and all it does here is make me jump backwards, right off the ledge.

So off I go to reclaim my souls without getting killed along the way - I get back to the bridge, but the dragon for some reason keeps knocking health off me this time, so I reach the bridge again with no flasks, and a tiny bit of health. By now I've accumulated another 1000 souls, and I can see my bloodstain, and I know I have to take out two guards without taking any hits or I'm going to lose 6000+ souls!
It's moments like that that make this game so addictive.

I got 'em back, only just, then went back to the fire to spend them quick. I'm also playing melee this time (warrior) but it doesn't cost much to have a few souls arrows at your disposal too. What was interesting about the Taurus demon fight was that as my armour made me slow, I ended up taking off all the good stuff, and running round in a loincloth so I could evade better - and get up the ladder in time to jump on him. So better equipment isn't always the answer - speed and environment are big factors in this game.

Unfortuantely I got killed (poisoned) by a rat once I'd done the bridge, so I've got to go back and do it again. I'll take some arrows for the dragons tail this time.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 12 October 2011 - 10:36 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#22 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:49 AM

**MINOR SPOILERS**

Man I can't beleive you risked 5000 souls so early in the game...you could have leveled up loads with that!! I don't think I've even had that many on me at one point because as soon as I have enough to level or to buy what I need I head straight for the bonfire/merchant...risky game my friend ha ha!!

You're not too far from a couple more bonfires actually, did you get the crystal from the Sun Knight or whatever he's called?

With regards to the dragon you need to hit the tip of his tail...the bit that looks like a tooth!!

I'm stuck at work and aching to get home and play it...I think its gonna be one of those games that I have to try and achieve at least one thing everytime I play otherwise I'll feel I let myself down ha ha

#23 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:15 PM

It was a risk, but I had to keep looking for a new bonfire - I was actually doing well until I fell off the damn ledge. It makes that 2nd run to get your souls back into a far more strategic affair - I learned from Demon's Souls that the smallest enemy can kill you if you let down your guard for a second.
Problem was, I'd run out of arrows, so I has to first fight back to the merchant, before clearing the way back to where I'd been. On the plus side, I got to level up about 3 times in one sitting, which is rare.

I got something from the Sun Knight, yes, haven't really looked yet.

About humanity - every time I try to kindle the fire, it says I need a ritual. Any Ideas? Also, where do you get humanity from? I seem to accumulate it without knowing where from. I spent most of Demon's Souls in soul form as I was more stealthy, and my deaths didn't change the world tendency, but it looks like if you stay hollowed in Dark Souls that you can't summon others to help, so there is some incentive anyway.

I know what you mean about trying to achieve something - you can raise a few levels and explore loads, but still start at the smae fire with everyone respawned, so it feels like you haven't done anything yet! Which is why I need to reach that next fire. The dragon got me again, I might have to shed some armour and SPRINT! (I managed it once before, rolling down the stairwell as the fire roared overhead, so it can be done...)
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#24 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

I'm not quite sure why you keep getting killed by the dragon? If you sprint and head for the stariway on the right (ignore the hollowed warriors) you should be able to get there with next to no or minor injuries, please tell me you kicked the ladder to create the shortcut at the bonfire right there the first time?

#25 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:02 PM

First and second attempts were fine - but as I didn't want to lose 5000 souls I returned to the fire before I'd found the ladder.

Third attempt - ran at the dragon as before, but this time got caught in blast, which knocked me over and took about half health. Stood up (slowly) and got hit again, which finished me off. Also, the hollowed warriors were all firing arrows at me which didn't help.

EDIT .. I can't believe I completely missed the doorway with the ladder down to the fire... about 3 times. That would have been useful earlier...

Anyway, found the fire, got me a Drake sword (200?! nice catch!) and cleared out the dragon, for now.

Bit annoyed that I fought through the next stage, killing Elite knights, opened the gate - only to find that it was closed again after I levelled up?

This post has been edited by Traveller: 13 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

#26 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

Yeah that gate gets closed by one of the hollowed, I was really annoyed the fist time it happned to me, if you've opened it and aggro one of the warriors nearby he'll run and try and close it before attacking you.

Drake sword is awesome!!

Had my first frustrating night on it last night, spent ages farming to get to level 24 which was about 3500 souls, once I reached it I upgraded my Faith to 10 so I could use a Talisman. Went to buy a Miracle and the lowest one needs a rank of Faith 12 to use. because I'm doing a melee build I'm not upgrading Faith any more now...so It was a complete waste of a Soul Level.
So then I farmed some more and I upgraded a couple more times to SL27. My next boss I need to kill is the Capra demon, and I've literally tried 5-10 times solo and cannot even get his health down to half. I haven't got any Humanity so there's no chance of me becoming Human and summoning people. So for ages I was putting my marker down for someone to summon me so I could help them beat a boss and therefore make me human again...I literally was doing that for 45 minutes and didn't get summoned once. I think the problem is that nearly everyone playing the game is doing so in Hollowed mode because there is no massive benefit this early on to being human. In Demon Souls you had twice the amount of health in Human mode as opposed to Soul mode so the there was benefit to using the stone of ephemeral eyes. Maybe it will get better as more people start to pick the game up and play more.

A lot of people on the forums are arguing that the co-op part of it is fundamentally flawed but I suppose only time will tell!!

On a plus note I did kill the Demon below the blacksmith...cheated a bit as I found a place I could hit him with arrows and he couldn't hit me :-)

#27 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:51 AM

Bummer about the Faith. I was looking at that, but the game seems to be nudging you to pick a distinct path and stick to it - sure, you can have miracles, spells and melee play like in Demon's Souls, but all will be fairly low compared to a character who invests in only one or two. For melee it's probably best to stick with vitality, strength, endurance etc; and play again as a cleric or something to max out Faith. I'm actually already looking forward to starting with a new character.

I didn't play Demon's Souls in online mode so I don't have anything to compare it with. I still don't know how you actually get humanity - sometimes I have 1, sometimes 2, but I don't know how I get it. I wasted some becoming human so I could kindle the fire, only to find that you need a ritual to kindle anymore. I know the Estas flasks are affected by online play - the recent bonfire I saved at only gived me 5, whereas I was getting 10 from the one before. That's something to do with the amount of players resting there or something.

It's funny watching how many other players die just from falling off things.

Best bits so far - finding a new enemy round a corner, facing the other way, and wondering... can I take him?

Drake Sword is great, takes those Elite knights in about two hits. (Have you used it two-handed for a shockwave? It takes damage/wear though.) Also just found a Halberd, which makes short work of the spear guards.

I've noticed a few complaints, but most are xbox Live players who are whining about a lack of chat. The developer didn't include it on purpose because he wanted players to be able to roleplay - to keep the atmosphere I guess. I agree with him, but you can't please everyone.

Trying for the bell tower, but damn those gargoyles. And their fire.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 14 October 2011 - 07:40 AM

#28 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:56 PM

Just got the game. I got to that first Demon thing and tried several times to kill it with just a hilt until I realized there was a gate on the side there. Too bad I wont have time to play it much.
No Touchy.

#29 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:11 AM

Traveller how are you faring mate?

I had a mammoth session on this over the weekend. Apart from going out for some beers on Saturday night I played this pretty much from 5.30pm on Friday to 10pm last night (while watching the rugby and football of course). It gets so much better as you progress!! All the online things I was worried about aren't even an issue any more. It must be due to more people picking up the game or getting to grips with how it actually works.

The game is MASSIVE!! I'm up to about Soul lvl 51 and I've chalked up about 32 hours of game play. Apparently I'm only about halfway!!

Found some awesome armour and weapons but won't go into details otherwise it would spoil some bits!!

All I can say is that anyone who struggles with the first 8 hours or so just really needs to stick it out as the game just keeps on getting better!!

#30 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:27 AM

Ah, I only get to play a bit in the evening, but I'm around Soul level 22 I think? I had a good run, cutting through hounds, the Capra demon, a few assassin types and a mad guy with a cleaver, but I fell into a hole in the Depths and got cursed. Twice. I got the Ring of the Evil Eye, but I really shouldn't have stopped at the bonfire down there, as I've now got to fight my way out with hardly any health. Just another little challenge I guess.

How much humanity are you playing with? I still have nothing, or when I do get it it doesn't last as I lose it with souls - which I can't always retrieve, especially when fighting bosses. I get the idea that you should be playing with a high humanity, but how are you supposed to have higher levels and hang on to it? I've got some in my inventory, and I've found someone that sells it, but what good is it if it disappears? I don't die a lot really, but you can't help it when exploring new areas - there's always some surprise waiting to land on you from above, or hit you with a massive spiky hammer. Or curse you.

Bummer about that - I could try and press on to open a shortcut, but I do risk getting cursed again, which I can't really afford. Then there's going to be some farming to do with low health just so I can get cured.

Have you levelled any weapons up yet?

What an addictive game - great level design too, the shortcuts give you a goal and a reward for making it through.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 17 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

#31 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

picked this up yesterday if anyone fancies coop (not sure how that works).

also how do you aim down the sight of a crossbow or bow?

#32 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

I know where you mean...getting cursed is an arse!! only happend once to me thus far.

With regards to Humanity I only ever use it for two things
  • Turn human to Kindle bonfire - need 2 for that
  • Turn human so I can summon people to help with difficult bosses
Apart from that I think it's more of an endgame thing as it increses certain stats such as the amount of items you receive when farming and it also has some effect when doing PvP. i wouldn't worry about it too much yet.

Yeah i've upgraded a few I've got
  • Composite Bow + 5
  • Lightning Spear + 3
  • Eagle Shield + 3
I havent converted any weapons into fire, lightning, magic, chaos or whatever yet though. I found the lightning spear and just upgraded it as was.

I've just joined a new covenant as well, 'Princess's Guard'.

This post has been edited by Hocknose: 17 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

#33 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:42 PM

View Postdrinksinbars, on 17 October 2011 - 12:11 PM, said:

They've made co-op with friends almost impossible but there are a few ways round it I think. There loads of guides on the forums about it...

Don't think you can aim down the sights of a crossbow but with a normal bow. You 2-hand the bow then press L1/LB and it brings up the crosshair

#34 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:55 PM

View PostHocknose, on 17 October 2011 - 12:42 PM, said:

They've made co-op with friends almost impossible but there are a few ways round it I think. There loads of guides on the forums about it...

Don't think you can aim down the sights of a crossbow but with a normal bow. You 2-hand the bow then press L1/LB and it brings up the crosshair

...then you can zoom using up and down on the d-pad.

What/where do I get the power needed to boost the fire, as I've wasted humanity by turning human, only to get a 'you can't do this yet' message. (I did take the Capra demon out on my second attempt tho :rofl:)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 17 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

#35 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:08 AM

getting into this now - killed tauras without losing any health after he booted me to high heaven (purchased soul arrow and stole the straight arojio?? sword off some sleeping dragon). Who is in the big church in parish though? saw him and turned tail to spend my souls.

#36 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:29 AM

View PostTraveller, on 17 October 2011 - 03:55 PM, said:

View PostHocknose, on 17 October 2011 - 12:42 PM, said:

...then you can zoom using up and down on the d-pad.

What/where do I get the power needed to boost the fire, as I've wasted humanity by turning human, only to get a 'you can't do this yet' message. (I did take the Capra demon out on my second attempt tho :rofl:)

Good work on Capra Demon, that one took me an age!!
Basically with bonfires how it works is that if you are human and you have at least one humanity you can kindle the bonfire. If you kindle the bonfire you receive 10 health packs instead of 5 for the rest of the game at that bonfire. It's worth doing it to all of them because you will need to come back at some point. Also when you kindle the bonfire it gives bonuses to any other players nearby which in turn increases you reputation online.

View Postdrinksinbars, on 18 October 2011 - 07:08 AM, said:

getting into this now - killed tauras without losing any health after he booted me to high heaven (purchased soul arrow and stole the straight arojio?? sword off some sleeping dragon). Who is in the big church in parish though? saw him and turned tail to spend my souls.

ha ha there lots of people in the big church...but if you go right to the top you'll find the Bell Gargoyle!! Wise choice on turning tail though.

I had a proper farming session last night, helped out online 3 times killing a demon at Sen's fortress and racked myself up 50,000+ souls. managed to get to lvl 55 by the end of my playthrough. I need to farm titanite chunks tonight to upgrade my lightning spear!!

This game is literally taking over my life!!!!

#37 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:49 PM

I need a decent place to farm souls. I got out of the Depths, fought my way back to the Bell Tower, cured my curse (and got another stone for good measure) and went to the Gardens for a change of scenery. (Which look great, good to have such contrasting environments after Demon's Souls).

So now I have either a Hydra to deal with, the Stone Knights, or I could go back to the Depths and have a go at the Gaping Dragon. Either way I think I need to farm something that will drop a lot, so I can upgrade my weapons and armour. Something to protect against curses would be nice too.

And yes, this is taking up all the time I usually use for... sleeping.

I was really tired at work today, came home determined to get some rest.... but it's calling to me, just to have one go...

Btw, did you invest in magic/miracles/pyromancy? I have soul arrow, but wondered if it was worth levelling up to get heavy soul arrow. Also found a really interesting spell that slows falling. It's decision time, as all those points could be spent on melee.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 18 October 2011 - 06:53 PM

#38 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 19 October 2011 - 08:28 AM

I would go to the garden as there is lots of good treasure there that will help...also the boss is very easy!! Those stone giants are pretty good for farming. have you unlocked the door yet near there? You have to have bought the key from the blacksmith or killed the hydra to get there. Its worth visiting but not yet cause I think they may be a bit high lvl for you at the moment.
the hydra is quite straightforward once you have the hang of it, took me 2 attempts.

No not invested in any magic/miracles/pyromancy, I'm doing a pure melee build this char. I'm putting most of my souls into endurance and vitality, then upping dex and strength a little bit at a time.
I found this ring that doubles your equip load so I've got heavy armour and I'm rolloing around like an assassin.

Did some more soul farming last night and I'm up to lvl61

#39 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:20 AM

That ring sounds like a must-have. I found the Elite Knight armour, but it slows me down too much at the moment. I stuck to farming Stone Knights by rolling around them, and killing trees. Also found the Wolf ring - what the hell does 'Poise' do though?

I upped my intelligence a couple of levels; it's pretty useful to have a couple of spells handy later on. I've put a bit into 'Resistance' too, as it adds 2 points of defence against everything - I haven't been poisoned for ages now.

EDIT Hah, now I see the advantage of Humanity - I got invaded! I was working through the Depths, when I get invaded by a nasty wearing spikey armour. I took him out, and I gained more humanity, and about 9000 souls! Nice. I hope he was suitably surprised.

I then went and took down the Gaping Dragon - awesome looking boss, i have to say. Which gave me a crazy amount of souls - enough to level 3 times in one session.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 21 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

#40 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

Right im tempted to go and buy this today when I really shouldnt. My lack of funds is disturbing so Ill tryand omplete Bulletstorm first to stave off the bug. However if I do get it you guys better be here to help me otherwise my gamer rage will take over.

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users