• You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls Sequel to Demon's Souls

#1001 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:32 AM

View Post- Coltaine -, on 12 March 2017 - 07:23 AM, said:

Second attempt? That's great :cat:

I failed a lot of times there on my first playthrough.

There are later some rings you have to wear to get through some areas. But as long as you don't try to wear two rings of F&P there should be no problem.

You can wear 2x F&P?

Someone sign me up please.

Oh, and fuck the catacombs.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#1002 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 13 March 2017 - 01:27 AM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 26 February 2017 - 10:47 PM, said:

Or avoid the Great Hollow like the plague that it is lol

But no in all seriousness you should definitely check it out, if I remember correctly you can get the Chloranthy Ring in there, increased stamina regen is always good, stacks with the Grass Crest Shield as well.

Be prepared for sheer frustration, however, oh and more curse frogs.

As for Sen's fortress the traps are more annoying than the enemies, though of course it's the combination that can make it a pain in the arse. Let me know if you get the enemies in there to drop their Greatsword item. I've played hundreds of hours of DS1 and never saw that drop once, not once, eventually just got one off of a mate of my brother.

I just got a Man-Serpent Greatsword in The Duke's Archives. Is that what you were talking about?
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#1003 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 13 March 2017 - 04:12 AM

There's a couple parts where you must must must wear a specific ring in order to advance. So don't wear two favor and protection until after you've gone into the fire and into the dark.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#1004 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:31 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 13 March 2017 - 01:27 AM, said:

But no in all seriousness you should definitely check it out, if I remember correctly you can get the Chloranthy Ring in there, increased stamina regen is always good, stacks with the Grass Crest Shield as well.

As for Sen's fortress the traps are more annoying than the enemies, though of course it's the combination that can make it a pain in the arse. Let me know if you get the enemies in there to drop their Greatsword item. I've played hundreds of hours of DS1 and never saw that drop once, not once, eventually just got one off of a mate of my brother.

I just got a Man-Serpent Greatsword in The Duke's Archives. Is that what you were talking about?

Did you get down to the Tomb of the Giants yet?
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#1005 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:37 AM

View PostTraveller, on 13 March 2017 - 06:31 AM, said:

View PostEmperorMagus, on 13 March 2017 - 01:27 AM, said:

Did you get down to the Tomb of the Giants yet?

I killed the Catacomb boss, but the Tomb itself was too dark and I had no idea where to go, so I gave up and went back to Anor Londo
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#1006 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 13 March 2017 - 06:42 AM

I guess poor Pinewheel wasn't much of a threat.

You can find a light source in the Tomb, and also the necromancers drop their skull lanterns sometimes. Did you get one?
The other light sources are a special helmet you can find in Lost Izalith, and a spell you can by from Dusk. But you must have 14 intelligence to use it. Dusk is the one you rescue from the Golden Golem after killing the Hydra in Dark Root Basin.

#1007 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:12 AM

View Post- Coltaine -, on 13 March 2017 - 06:42 AM, said:

You can find a light source in the Tomb, and also the necromancers drop their skull lanterns sometimes. Did you get one?
The other light sources are a special helmet you can find in Lost Izalith, and a spell you can by from Dusk. But you must have 14 intelligence to use it. Dusk is the one you rescue from the Golden Golem after killing the Hydra in Dark Root Basin.

Of course equipping the necromancer lantern occurred to me, what kind of idiot wouldn't know to do that?

Hint: my type

Although killing those giant skeletons with no shield sounds like a horrible idea to be honest.

Fuck Seath.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#1008 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:09 AM

I always bump the brightness up to full for the Catacombs, still need the lantern but it helps.

Yeah it was the Man-Serpent Greatsword I was talking about, didn't matter how many times I kill those dudes I have literally ever seen it drop, not once.

As for Ring of F/P, like the others said I wouldn't put 2 on any time soon just because of a couple of specific areas where a second ring is pretty much needed. Tbh wearing 2 of them sounds awesome (and it is great in pure power terms) but it really hampers your ability to be flexible, taking the ring off breaks it, so be careful never to do that and keep the other slot free. Btw, when you were in the Painted World, did you get invaded by the Pyromancer NPC? If you kill him you can find his set, including the wonderfully outlandish Xanthous Crown, and the crown can be traded with Snuggly the crow for a second Ring of F/P. The only other way to get a second one is to go to NG+ and kill Lautrec again, or get it from another player.
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#1009 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:12 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 13 March 2017 - 07:12 AM, said:

View Post- Coltaine -, on 13 March 2017 - 06:42 AM, said:

Of course equipping the necromancer lantern occurred to me, what kind of idiot wouldn't know to do that?

Hint: my type

Although killing those giant skeletons with no shield sounds like a horrible idea to be honest.

Fuck Seath.

Did you get cursed? You haven't found the curesbite ring until now, have you?

Also go back and rescue Logan, if you haven't done that already. Even if you not use magic, opening that cell will prove useful. :cat:

This post has been edited by - Coltaine -: 13 March 2017 - 09:12 AM

#1010 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:44 AM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 13 March 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

I always bump the brightness up to full for the Catacombs, still need the lantern but it helps.

Yeah it was the Man-Serpent Greatsword I was talking about, didn't matter how many times I kill those dudes I have literally ever seen it drop, not once.

As for Ring of F/P, like the others said I wouldn't put 2 on any time soon just because of a couple of specific areas where a second ring is pretty much needed. Tbh wearing 2 of them sounds awesome (and it is great in pure power terms) but it really hampers your ability to be flexible, taking the ring off breaks it, so be careful never to do that and keep the other slot free. Btw, when you were in the Painted World, did you get invaded by the Pyromancer NPC? If you kill him you can find his set, including the wonderfully outlandish Xanthous Crown, and the crown can be traded with Snuggly the crow for a second Ring of F/P. The only other way to get a second one is to go to NG+ and kill Lautrec again, or get it from another player.

I will not give away that hat. Repeat, I WILL NOT! Regardless of how good two F&Ps may be; the hat is pretty.

@Coltaine: Nah, I'm wearing the full Havel set. Skeletons can't really touch me.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#1011 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:54 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 13 March 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 13 March 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

I will not give away that hat. Repeat, I WILL NOT! Regardless of how good two F&Ps may be; the hat is pretty.

@Coltaine: Nah, I'm wearing the full Havel set. Skeletons can't really touch me.

Skeletons? I was talking about another firekeeper soul. Don't tell me you don't want it. :cat:

#1012 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:31 PM

What's the set with the really high curse resist, that looks like a white dress?

I remember beating Seath while looking like a nun or something!

If you want an extra challenge... knock his tail off first for a nice weapon.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#1013 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 13 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

View PostTraveller, on 13 March 2017 - 12:31 PM, said:

What's the set with the really high curse resist, that looks like a white dress?

I remember beating Seath while looking like a nun or something!

If you want an extra challenge... knock his tail off first for a nice weapon.

You mean the antiquated set of Dusk. It's magic resistance is also good.

#1014 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

Yeah that's the Antiquated Set, good magic resist and the Dusk Crown is amazing for full-power sorceries that can absolutely wreck. I've never been very good with any magic apart from Pyromancy myself though so the dusk crown's other effect to reduce your HP would kill the game for me. Another set with very high Curse Resist is those red robes you can get off the dude you find on top of that building full of ghosts in New Londo, the one who gives you the key to access the 4 Kings.

And yeah defo try to get Seath's tail, all the tail weapons are that much easier on the first go round.

As for the Bonewheel Skeletons before the catacombs (think they were being mentioned above?) just use an upgraded Tower Shield, best stability in the game, no need to go full Havel's, you can literally stand in front of their entire attack and not get staggered.

Oh Coltaine, Traveller, what way round do you usually take on the Lord Souls? Or did you vary every time, I always tried to do Nito first and leave the 4 Kings till last because I absolutely detest that fight!

#1015 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:56 PM

I think Nito, Four Kings, Seath, then the BoC. Just because I did it that way that first time and kind of stuck to it.

Nito is good first if you use Quelaags sword as you can farm a ton of humanity from the dead babies outside his fog door, to use later. Then once Nito is dead you don't ever have to return.

#1016 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:21 PM

View PostTraveller, on 14 March 2017 - 10:56 PM, said:

I think Nito, Four Kings, Seath, then the BoC. Just because I did it that way that first time and kind of stuck to it.

Nito is good first if you use Quelaags sword as you can farm a ton of humanity from the dead babies outside his fog door, to use later. Then once Nito is dead you don't ever have to return.

Jesus Christ.

Dead babies? Farm? I don't even want to know.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#1017 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:30 AM

Yeah little baby skeletons, it's creepy as hell if you ever stop to really think about it.

They are supposed to have a decent humanity drop rate, I don't think it's as good as the rats in the sewer (I remember doing tests at maximum item find rate) but the benefit of the skeletons is that they spawn endlessly - no running through the sewers and sitting at bonfires, just kite a bunch skeleton babies until you have as much as you need. Personally I never liked how long it felt before I ever got a drop, so I would stick with the rats, never minded the run through the sewers and I really hate the Tomb of the Giants. Part of the reason for doing Nito first for me - apart from his being relatively easy to defeat - is simply to get the area done and dusted (whereas I like to be as high a level as I can for New Londo and the 4 Kings). On NG+ and above I usually do the Catacombs right from the beginning tbh.

#1018 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:40 AM

View PostWinterPhoenix, on 15 March 2017 - 01:30 AM, said:

Yeah little baby skeletons, it's creepy as hell if you ever stop to really think about it.

They are supposed to have a decent humanity drop rate, I don't think it's as good as the rats in the sewer (I remember doing tests at maximum item find rate) but the benefit of the skeletons is that they spawn endlessly - no running through the sewers and sitting at bonfires, just kite a bunch skeleton babies until you have as much as you need. Personally I never liked how long it felt before I ever got a drop, so I would stick with the rats, never minded the run through the sewers and I really hate the Tomb of the Giants. Part of the reason for doing Nito first for me - apart from his being relatively easy to defeat - is simply to get the area done and dusted (whereas I like to be as high a level as I can for New Londo and the 4 Kings). On NG+ and above I usually do the Catacombs right from the beginning tbh.

I like the drop rate in the sewers. Specially once I got to 10 humanity.

Even better, each time I go for the rats I get to farm those slime thingies too ...
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#1019 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:15 AM

Yeah exactly, that's what I always did, incorporate both farms into one run, it made it feel like I was getting more done. And yeah once you have 10 humanity the drop rate is maxed (withe the Covetous Gold Serpent ring equipped anyhow, which actually another good reason never to have two rings of F/P tbh) I always thought it was very decent as far as farming spots go.

#1020 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:27 AM

Fuck the Crystal Cave. I'm outta this freaking place.

I watched a youtube video on how to go through it, and then it turns out there is no freaking bonefire before the boss? Fuck that. I have 10 humanity, I will go through the rest of the game before risking this bullshit.

I did go back to save big hat and get the Firekeeper soul. I'm at Estus +4 now (Parish, Blighttown, Firelink, and Archives souls). Do I lose my estus upgrade on NG+? What about weapon/armor upgrades?
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

23 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users