• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls Sequel to Demon's Souls

#421 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

View Postamphibian, on 23 April 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

I really wish I could play this game while in the hospital with these damnable blood clots in my lung. So to restate my position, I have all four Lord souls, but decided to go to Oolacile and get pwnt by the things there.

Probably won't get to play until Monday the way things are headed, but I will beat this game!

I'm at the same place as you, except I'm quite a way into Oolacile now. Just got Manus to beat, and the optional but unmissable Black Dragon.

Hope you get yourself sorted out soon Amp.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#422 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:24 PM

Finished the game tonight. Didn't feel the need to go back over every room in the place as I've already finished it twice - I did make sure I killed absolutely everything though.

In Oolacile, Manus pounded me into the ground a good few times before I beat him. Kalameet wasn't as much of a problem to my Sorcerer as my Warrior, and Gwyn himself only took two attempts in the end. Kalameet is still a great dragon to fight though, I still reckon he'd eat those Skyrim ones for breakfast.

The scenery in this game is awesome. Standing on a ledge at Firelink, you can look down into the Depths, across to the Hollow tree, and up at the Burg and the Archives beyond it. I need a rest from it all for a while now I think; I just can't stop playing right through once I've started, and it eats a lot of time I don't really have.

I'm glad the gameplay is so good, as the final cut-scene is horribly short considering what you have to go through to get there. I guess I'd rather it was like that than the other way around though.

I finished at Soul Level 85. Int was around 55, and vitality about 19. Can't wait for DS2.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 24 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#423 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

Havmt been playing much.

Had a look round demons ruins but those lava t-rex thingies and the fact i feel like im going to have a seizure when im in there. Went back to that painted world place and got in this time and am in there. After this dukes archives i think will be next. Need to free logan to get stuff sorted.

#424 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

I had some fun last night. I freed Logan from Sen's Fortress cages. There is no fire in there, so I end up losing a few souls. I want to kill everything in there and farm some Demon Titanite. I do not know what to use it on though. I do not have much upgrade weapons and I so want to do that. Was there someone/somewhere in Blightown for me to use? Maybe I need to try and access Blightown from the Depths rather than the easy way via Firelink?
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#425 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostGanoes Paran, on 26 April 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

I had some fun last night. I freed Logan from Sen's Fortress cages. There is no fire in there, so I end up losing a few souls. I want to kill everything in there and farm some Demon Titanite. I do not know what to use it on though. I do not have much upgrade weapons and I so want to do that. Was there someone/somewhere in Blightown for me to use? Maybe I need to try and access Blightown from the Depths rather than the easy way via Firelink?

There is one fire in Sen's but you need roof top access. on the general region of the roof opposite the iron golem dropping the boulders, look down at spots where the wall has crumbled. If you slowly inch off the roof in the right spot you will land at a bonfire spot which is a one way access, one way exit only thing.

And Blighttown is the most fun when approached via the Depths. I'll go down there when I get back home from the hospital and have free time. Want more dung pies hehe.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#426 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

So i spent ages improving my astoran longsword aswell as getting my faith up and it still doesnt hurt those ghosts. When i hit them it does this green cloud but no damage. Fucked off to be honest.

#427 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

I just bought a load of transient curses for New Londo. If you have some humanity to boost drops, the ghosts drop more of them as they die - 4 at a time. Then you can hit them with anything, spells included. You just have to be aware of when they wear off - I got caught out when it wore off and I didn't notice, right in the middle of a room full of ghosts - who I could no longer touch.

I never used Astoras sword as I never got my Faith above 11.

Am not sure what to play now i've finished - I never finished Hitman and Farcry 3, and I have a feeling i've packed my games into a box anyway as I'm moving in two weeks.

If you're not enjoying Dark Souls though, play something else. I love it for the same reason I read Erikson - no handholding, and a load of stuff you don't get at first but appreciate all the more once you spend some time with it and are rewarded for your efforts.

Witcher 2 is a great game for very different reasons, I reckon you'll be hooked right away. My only beef with it was that I accumulated a load of items that I thought would be useful later, only to finish the game having needed a fraction of it. It's a pretty linear format, but there are two distinct paths through. Maybe I'll dig it out and have another bash, I loved that siege introduction.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 26 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

#428 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

Im just confused is all I thought if I got my parameters up for it I could hurt them. but yeh im just going to transient curse all the way through it as im playing it atm and making no progress.

Killed that painting boss though. She killed me once as my pad died. Fucked off no end but killed her comfortably second time and found that giant smith in anor londa and spent a levels worth of souls doing my astoran longsword to plus 5 which is why I was so annoyed as its the first weapon ive sunk stuff into.

#429 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

You didn't waste anything - Astoras Sword will permanantly kill the skeletons in the graveyard and catacombs, and in the Tomb of the Giants, without them re-forming. It will also be good for defeating the boss down there, Gravelord Nito. But no, it won't kill ghosts.

#430 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

To kill the ghosts, you have to scare them first. Biggest bully on the block and all for the supernatural crowd.

#431 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

View Postamphibian, on 17 April 2013 - 05:27 AM, said:

Got my leg hurt worse in grappling, so I called it an early night there and hopped home to Dark Souls.

I accidentally got the sword from Seath's tail. Was trying to get behind him and chop away when the thing fell off, I got a sword and Seath promptly spiked me to the ground with his arm and crystals. Oof.

Anyways, after figuring out how, I beat the dragon and did a bit of clam farming to upgrade my armors and weapons. Turns out my Artorias sword chops ghosts. But the ghosts are so fuckin' scary that I just called it quits after being shoved off a bridge into an infinite pool. It was late and I didn't have the patience to be half-scared and still go exploring that damnable ruin.

Why are the zombies so docile down there? They're mourning something or they've had something taken away, I suspect.

I read this and levelled up my faith so I had a longswrod to use but ive now just looked online and only the jagged ghost blade hurts them. Im doing this shit today with transient curses and thats that.

How useful is the parrying dagger btw? Ive never really parried given I attac k from range.

Edit- First attempt I used the gold item ring and got like 4 transient curses within 4 ghosts so m not worried. I can also killed them with a great soul arrow of which I can equip forty. I thought id finally cracked it and was fine with it but then I got a scripted 4 ghost ambush which I could have comfortably deal;t with but then my pad went dead so I had to stand there and watch them kill me. I need new pads I might go and spend a fortune on one today.

This post has been edited by Jean-Claude Van tiam: 28 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

#432 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:54 AM

That ghost ambush sounds like the one where my transient curse usually wears off. There's a bit in a corridor I get caught out in too, as my sword hits the walls. Spear is def better for that bit.

Did you kick down the ladder at the start for a shortcut? It all gets easier once you drain the water.

#433 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 28 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

The docile zombies remain one of the most interesting things in the game. Even in Undead Asylum, they attack you, but in New Londo Ruins, they don't. The ghosts do or the things that aren't ghosts do.

Something is keeping them from going full hollow and it's related to either what happened to the city or what happened to its ruler. That ruler might have been the most charismatic being in the game way back in the past if hundreds or thousands of years later, the zombies haven't gone full hollow and are still mourning the city or ruler.

#434 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

Oh, look online about the cursed sword of Artorias. That chops the ghosts right up. If you two hand it, you can block a little bit, but if you put the jagged ghost blade in second hand, you can chop and chop to put almost everything away quickly.

For parrying as a tactic, it's very useful.

#435 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

I think you're both talking about different blades.

The Astoras Sword is found early, near the zombie dragon. Needs faith, but doesn't harm ghosts.

The Cursed Sword of Artorias is made using.. Sifs soul, iirc. Which does kill ghosts.

I used Sifs soul to make the Artorias Shield instead, looks great.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 28 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

#436 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

I have Sif's soul and Butterfly Soul and others souls, where do I use them?

Edit - to upgrade shields and weapons?

Also to add, I love the Lightning Spear. It's great!!

I have defeated Sen's Fortress and went through to Anor Londo. I have done quite a bit here and at present I am in the painting world. I have just defeated the Undead Dragon, I just hid behind a wall and sniped him with all my soul arrows.

This post has been edited by Ganoes Paran: 29 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#437 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

So as ive mentioned recently my very old xbox has stopped charging pads and about 2 years ago got the red ring of death. It then overcame such obstacles but seen as its not charging pads anymore I bought a new xbox which ive been meaning to do for a while.

Ive got farcry 3, witcher 2 and prototype 2 sat there from when I traded in all my old games and with the xbox I bought I got the new Gears and Darksiders 2 which I know nothing about. Im giving my brother the new gears as I traded in some of his games and got Dark souls and others as a result. However I would be stupid not to complete the new gears before giving it to him so I will be playing that.

I will also lose my saved game file for Dark Souls meaning ill have to start again, which considering im about half way through the game is a bit of a chore. Ill likely do Gears then start a thief file that ill turn into a sorcerer. I have no doubt the game will be much more enjoyable the second time round especially with a master key.

I do love this game for many reasons, but not really the gameplay. I think its because im a sorcerer so maybe on my next play through ill go a thief and stick with it, actually experiencing the combat. I love this game bizarrely because it doesnt give you a map which sums up everything about it. Its amazing how all games give you a map these days but without one you adapt and as a result become better at the game.

Thanks for all your help guys and enjoy your playthrough. Ill be back on the thread in the future no doubt.

This post has been edited by Jean-Claude Van tiam: 30 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

#438 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

Damn, that sucks.

But yes, for the ultimate Dark Souls experience I always recommend playing a melee character first. It's a much more intense experience, and if you can master the game with a melee character then you can do just about anything.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#439 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

Seconded.

I enjoyed my Sorcerer playthrough, but it was nowhere near as intense. That might also be due to familiarity with the game by then, but it's more to do with the gameplay - melee is just harder to learn than the timing of when to fire spells.

In melee the control of stamina is vital. But as a Sorcerer you hardly need to look at it, ever, which makes a very different game.

#440 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:40 AM

I actually broke and started a new file as a deprived with a master key. I am not good at the hand to hand combat side of things. I really struggle. I actually thought being a deprivd
would give me a level boost as your level 6 with much higher stats and I am enjoying it but I die so very easily. Need to get it together.

Anyway I started playing Witcher 2 which is very good and I got into it now so ill be doing that first before I go back to souls. Ill probably use a guide this time actually so I build decent weapons.

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users