Malazan Empire: Malazan Book: Movie or Series? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan Book: Movie or Series? Hope nobody have already open a poll like this...

Poll: Malazan Book: Film or Series? (79 member(s) have cast votes)

For a hypothetical adjustment of the Malazan books, you'd prefer a movie or a TV Serial?

1. One or more movies. (12 votes [15.19%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.19%

2. A tv series. (53 votes [67.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.09%

3. I do not like the idea of a movie/serial on the Malazan Books. (14 votes [17.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.72%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Marcule 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:44 PM

If it was an animated series it could cut down on the cost enough to make it possible money wise... as long as it wasn't rated PG, but the higher the rating ® the less possible profits. The part of that that sucks, is adults in the western world think of kids shows when they see 'cartoons'. It might take off if it was made as japanime and released in Japan first... but then we would be downloading subtitled versions before the English release. I honestly don't think it will ever happen, even though we see a game of thrones on HBO, I think that is mainly because GRRM has worked with HBO on past shows and has some personal pull. Plus GRRM writing is easier to follow and I find it more... soap oprah-y (and less enjoyable than SE), which seems more preferable to the ave TV watcher. As confusing as SE is, I enjoy the puzzle. Most Americans seem to lose interest when everything is not simply spelled out for them (makes me think of wheel of time and how everything is thoroughly explained multiple times to the point ridiculousness), I'm reminded of a 'making of' tidbit I saw for the first highlander movie many years back, about multiple changes to the story they made cause it was felt that American audiences just wouldn't 'understand' wtf was going on, then I think it was actually released in UK before America. Same thing with GotM no? Wouldn't publish it in America because it was too 'confusing?' As an American I resent their assessment, but at the same time I feel they are correct. In the end, as with all things, its about the money.
...I'm not the best with heights, Sergent.
You live in a damned tower!
It's... expected of me. Isn't it?...

#22 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

I voted Series....and I'd love to see it done up like SW: The Clone Wars Animated. We could have GOOD animation and numerous seasons. My two cents.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23 User is offline   King-of-Chains 

• King of High House Tragedy
  • I write, I read, I see...chamois

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:48 PM

To put this on a screen of any sort seems almost sacreligious. Youd would be taking away all the complexity that makes these books so great, the dynamics between characters would never truly develop and things would either be overly rushed to, or in so many ways manipulated to make the series a joke. I doubt anyone is crazy enough to do this anyway.
Here is a series that will for ever inspire me. Not only as a writer, but as a person. Mr. Erikson has shown us both sides to the human condition. He has shown even the lost, the destitute, the forgotten and unwitnessed can triumph.

#24 User is offline   snake0026 

• Sergeant

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:33 AM

^ More or lesss what Apt said at the begiinning. HBO would undoubtedly be the best format, although it's highly unlikely that we'll be seeing the Malazan universe in either format anytime soon.

A series of independent, stand-alone style movies could also work quite well, but again, it would need to be high budget and have an amazing director (as in anyone but Uwe Boll, really).

Undoubtedly certain plots would need simplification, alteration, or outright removal from the film/television series, as it would be impossible to adapt the novels in the entirety (especially on the big screen), but, unlike some others, I have absolutely no problems with that, so long as the final product offers a strong, engaging narrative with great acting and special effects (whch there would undipubetdly be plenty of).

I also like the idea of explaining things as you go and "jumping right in." Would fit the series quite well, and, so long as things are not ridiculously convoluted, and a certain degree of clarity is ultuimately afforded, I don't envision it as being too much of a problem.
"But I saw you [Snake]…faced by Anomander [Mandy] himself. How did…"
"I escape? Well, I dazzled him with fancy words, edging ever closer, then used my ninja skills to strike like a cobra, knocking the sword [Spamnipur] away and drop-kicking him over the side before tumbling backwards, slaying another Piss'd Andii on the way."
Silence. Lots of silence. "Fine!" He shrugged and grinned, "Someone hit him in the face with a coin, and he cursed just long enough for me to get away." ~ Excerpt from Gardens of the Tea Spoon

#25 User is offline   Osserc - Lord of the Sky 

• Champion of High House Light
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, dammit!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:47 PM

Ok, I voted MOVIES because if somehow MIRACULOUSLY they find a perfect director, just like the style that Peter Jackson developed LotR, (but WAY darker), a movie saga could work. I could see GoTM or MoI as movies, but its a risk. They could really screw up the story and kill it if they cut out alot.
"The red ink had been watered down. He painted wash on the map, covering areas now held by the Malazan Empire. Fully one half of the map...the north half...was red. Baruk jumped, his right forearm jerking out and knocking over the inkwell. The red ink poured across his map. Cursing, Baruk sat back. His eyes widened as he watched the spreading stain over Darujhistan and continue south to Catlin..."

#26 User is offline   Osserc - Lord of the Sky 

• Champion of High House Light
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, dammit!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:49 PM

NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE MUST BE NO MALAZAN ANIMATED SERIES! THAT TAKES AWAY THE EMOTION AND THE HEART IN THE STORY!!!!
"The red ink had been watered down. He painted wash on the map, covering areas now held by the Malazan Empire. Fully one half of the map...the north half...was red. Baruk jumped, his right forearm jerking out and knocking over the inkwell. The red ink poured across his map. Cursing, Baruk sat back. His eyes widened as he watched the spreading stain over Darujhistan and continue south to Catlin..."

#27 User is offline   TheHornedOne 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Metal

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:44 AM

You know, if they can get the budget to do MBOTF justice, then a movie or a series. But that won't happen, they'd need even more money than LoTR took, and that was a lot.
"You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgment... without judgment! Because it's judgment that defeats us."

#28 User is offline   Nutcracker 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Anything here and there
  • Cussers, sharpers, and two legs to run like hell!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:19 AM

Since GotM was originally planned for movie, I'll go for movie for the first book only, and maybe NoK.

Try imagining this, in the span of a 3 hr film, could we fit all events that happend in BH and still retain its quality? I don't think so. This is why TV series will be better for the other books.

(My first post, hope I didn't bungle it :))
Why waste a cusser on one person, when you could just shove a cracker up his bunhole?

#29 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:10 PM

View PostOsserc - Lord of the Sky, on 28 February 2011 - 10:49 PM, said:

NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THERE MUST BE NO MALAZAN ANIMATED SERIES! THAT TAKES AWAY THE EMOTION AND THE HEART IN THE STORY!!!!

C´mon, watch Ergo Proxy or Ghost in the Shell, or Myiazaki and tell me that it takes away emotions. But I agree that MBOF is un-adaptable in whole story arc range. Damn, only TCG would cut three movies.
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#30 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 05 March 2011 - 04:09 AM

Love to see this in a long series, ala Showtime, Starz, HBO, or what-have-you. Doesn't even have to be one season per book either. I mean, hell, you could fit GotM into 3 or 4 one-hour episodes, and then have a pretty long season using DG and MOI as sorta a side by side, seeing as how the timeline runs relatively together. One episode could take place in 7C, the next in Genabackis/Pannion Domin. GotM could be the primer, and then the meat of Season One would be the next two books. One season, three books. House of Chains could be a smaller series as well, and then a long season involving MT. The rest would almost have to have their own seasons though, as there is just so much story to tell. On the Esslemont side, you could almost do NOK and RotCG as "events" if you will. A couple 2-3 hour specials inbetween books/seasons.

That all said, it will likely never get done, simply for the reason someone mentioned of sales not as high as the other books made into series. IF you did this on SyFy or something else, then it would assuredly have to be dumbed down for the masses. On pay TV though, potential is high. Would some things have to change (minor things) to make some sense for non-readers? Sure. Would it be as good as the book series? No, it would not. Then again, they NEVER are (name one that EVER was!), but still is kind of a sweet thing to wanna see something come alive on screen anyways. Just my opinion though!

This post has been edited by The Seguleh 46th: 05 March 2011 - 04:11 AM

#31 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:59 PM

Any film would be impossible unless it was about 4 hours long per book, so if some Malazan fan boy suddenly becomes a Billionaire and wishes to fund this please do it...otherwise it would have to be TV, to encompass the scope, the characters, both large and small, per book would have to be at least 10 hours long each time. Or it would miss out really exciting things.

I vote for Blizzard to disband World of Warcraft and convert their efforts to a Malaz MMO continuing the saga of heroes, marines, ascendants and now enemies in the form of a huge video game...

They have the money for it don't they :(

Either way our wishes wont be answered as it doesn't sell enough, tragically.

Right if anyone here is a multi billionaire you must fund this...hire a director of unsurpassed brilliant and get Erikson, ICE and some others on to help script it...

I DEMAND TO PLAY HEDGE!!!!

#32 User is offline   snake0026 

• Sergeant

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:26 PM

Spotted this related article a little while ago, Top Fantasy Series Not Named 'Game of Thrones' That Deserve TV Shows
"But I saw you [Snake]…faced by Anomander [Mandy] himself. How did…"
"I escape? Well, I dazzled him with fancy words, edging ever closer, then used my ninja skills to strike like a cobra, knocking the sword [Spamnipur] away and drop-kicking him over the side before tumbling backwards, slaying another Piss'd Andii on the way."
Silence. Lots of silence. "Fine!" He shrugged and grinned, "Someone hit him in the face with a coin, and he cursed just long enough for me to get away." ~ Excerpt from Gardens of the Tea Spoon

#33 User is offline   Daemonwolf 

• Lieutenant

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:19 AM

Okay, so I've thought about this more than once since I first discovered the series. Granted my thoughts on it might not seem like they would work, but I'm fairly certain they would work out great provided they had a Director that would seriously involve SE, and try to stick to the books as well as possible.

First off, I think if done properly this could be a long term, badass series without really changing/adjusting the books.

Things they would need to do to make it awesome is:

1> ABSOLUTELY NO EFFING COMMERCIALS I say this because i think the utter domination of commercials during TV programs is directly linked to the lack of attention span plaguing audiences, which results in all the shows following the same formula with different words..... (just saying, I own 740 DVD/blu-ray titles including several tv series and while entertaining, none of it is unpredictable)

2> Credits only at the end of the episode, any intro needs to be done with creative introduction of whatever the official show title is (Kinda like Supernatural's splash screen intro, but make it different each episode... I envision the way they did location names in the movie "The Losers")

3> If they do the credits at the end of the episode, It becomes easier to follow different characters from episode to episode (maybe do the credits in part as the Dramatis Personae, with the entire seasons cast regardless of their appearances)

4> Throw it straight into the action as much as possible, feel free to combine books just keep it to the story. This should be doable, since much of a books reading is actually reading details about landscape, location, action, etc. The only book I truly see having a problem in this format is TtH, and that's just cause so much of it is internal.

5> Getting actors to fill the roles shouldn't be that difficult, these books are so diverse, there is absolutely no reason why we cant get the right people in the right roles. Dont do stupid shit like with the casting, is all I'm asking. The people that play constant parts can be new actors if they are decent enough (should be an easy and fun series to be part of me-thinks) I think to get that "star power" recognition out there they should get the higher profile actors for the Ascendants/Gods (Michael Clarke Duncan as Hood <---- cash cow Gary Busey as Shadowthrone <---- Pure WIN Terence Stamp as Mael/Bugg (I have no idea why, I know the visuals a little off but the voice and stoicism tickles me every time I think of him in that part); to example a few)

6> Formulate a plan for the special effects before shooting the series, connect with SE and ICE about how they think the best way to represent some of the warrens and passages would be. (This is a very annoying thing i see, Legend of the Seeker was un-watchable on this aspect alone, and for many many many other reasons as well. <Please, no hating on me for past mistakes where SoT is concerned>)

7> STICK TO THE BOOKS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!!!!! This isn't completely doable all the time, and I get that, but at least figure out how to keep all of the story intact instead of cutting things.

Just my thoughts anyway, in case anyone dusts off this old topic. Questions/comments I'm more than open too. I tend to think a lot, but i find i can think better when i have questions to answer.

k thanks bye

This post has been edited by Daemonwolf: 14 July 2011 - 06:58 AM

You dream that with memories will come knowledge, and from knowledge, understanding. But for every answer you find, a thousand questions arise.

Deadhouse Gates, Steven Erikson

#34 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

I don't know if it could really work, actually. So much depends on the narration. Huge segments of the books are characters' thoughts on the world around them. How would you translate that to the screen?

That said, I think an HBO style series would be the best interpretation of MBotF. A (serious) anime would also be all right, with the right director. Then again, I like anime, soo....
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#35 User is offline   Daemonwolf 

• Lieutenant

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:37 AM

View PostKanese S, on 14 July 2011 - 10:44 AM, said:

I don't know if it could really work, actually. So much depends on the narration. Huge segments of the books are characters' thoughts on the world around them. How would you translate that to the screen?

That said, I think an HBO style series would be the best interpretation of MBotF. A (serious) anime would also be all right, with the right director. Then again, I like anime, soo....

So I've given this a lot of thought today.... I probably read this response shortly after you made it.....

I think its still possible to get the majority of everything across..... Most everything internal, could be made into dialogue if needed. Much of the 'narrative' is external dialogue anyway, so it shouldn't be to hard. Some things will require a good actor/actress in order to get the 'mood' across when its just not feasible to put it into dialogue.

Example of internal to external: 2 ways to do this are to go ahead and have them talk to themselves when alone, or do the whole words being spoken without the character actually saying anything doing the internal thought sequence.

Example of internal to 'mood': In DG when Baudin saws off the Lady Gaseen (whoever) head, felisin has an internal dialogue looking at the bloody chain afterward. For a visual show, you would simply lower the volume of things around her, while she looks at a chain that blurs as the tears come to her eyes and she whispers her "Dont make any more deals, Baudin" line.

just my two cents....
You dream that with memories will come knowledge, and from knowledge, understanding. But for every answer you find, a thousand questions arise.

Deadhouse Gates, Steven Erikson

#36 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:16 AM

You're right, that could probably work.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#37 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ˝ man, ˝ amazing

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:54 PM

Anime!
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users