Malazan Empire: Dragons Suck! - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dragons Suck! Or at least get bitch-slapped a lot.

Poll: Dragons Suck! (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Dragons:

1. Cooler than Steve McQueen (10 votes [47.62%])

Percentage of vote: 47.62%

2. Not quite as cool as Steve McQueen (11 votes [52.38%])

Percentage of vote: 52.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 24 December 2010 - 04:43 AM

Forgiven? Yes.
But getting out of being called chumps by yours truly? Never!

CHUMPS!

PS: Has anyone ever considered adding new smilies to this forum that are 'Malazan' style ones? Likea smilie lobbing a cusser or one turning into dust like a T'lan Imass?
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#42 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:47 AM

That would be beyond cool, but sadly I don't have the technical know-how or artistic flair to pull it off.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#43 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 24 December 2010 - 12:53 PM

And little smiley mule, pls...:)
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#44 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

someone earlier said that it was infered in Midnight Tides that Silchas Ruin was somehow responsible for exterminating the FA race. Can someone give me a little more info? I completely missed that....

This post has been edited by foolio: 05 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#45 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

That's incorrect - here's the bit about the FA.

Kettle and Silchas : ‘You killed them.’
‘These ones here, yes. As for the rest, no. I was too late arriving and my freedom too brief for that. In any case, but a few enclaves were left by that time. My draconic kin took care of that task, since no other entity possessed the necessary power. As I said, they were damned hard to kill.’
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#46 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:19 PM

View PostHetan, on 05 January 2011 - 05:21 PM, said:

That's incorrect - here's the bit about the FA.

Kettle and Silchas : 'You killed them.'
'These ones here, yes. As for the rest, no. I was too late arriving and my freedom too brief for that. In any case, but a few enclaves were left by that time. My draconic kin took care of that task, since no other entity possessed the necessary power. As I said, they were damned hard to kill.'

thanks Hetan. I do remeber that now. This sentence "I was too late arriving and my freedom too brief for that" leads me to get confused and think he means this happened since he was free of the Azath....is that crazy?
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#47 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:09 AM

naw man, it's just the reverse. he arrived to late on Wu and wasn't there long before he got Azathed by Scabbers (lol). he only managed to kill some prior to that.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#48 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 06 January 2011 - 05:09 AM, said:

naw man, it's just the reverse. he arrived to late on Wu and wasn't there long before he got Azathed by Scabbers (lol). he only managed to kill some prior to that.

Ok this makes infinitely more sense. Thanks

#49 User is offline   Unchained God 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Books, games, movies

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

I just evened the score. The books are about humans (and humanoids). The age of dragons has passed and now they have to lose to show off human's superiority.
Love is for poets

#50 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:47 PM

I would like to point out that the only thing superior about Humans is their ability to breed in mass numbers. Before the last flight into Starvald Demelain I don't think Dragons were a species you wanted to piss off. Every dragon is as scary as an ascendant in terms of magical power and strength, on top of that it is fucking big and tough. Imagine a hundred dragons or a thousand or more, amassing on any empire we know of and consider that they are capable of countering any magic you throw at them and you have a big fucking problem. Cusser will only work the first time. From then on they will stay high in the air, use their superior eye sight to see any projectiles coming their way and answer in kind with a wave of sorcery.

#51 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:07 PM

View PostJenisapt Rul, on 10 January 2011 - 07:47 PM, said:

I would like to point out that the only thing superior about Humans is their ability to breed in mass numbers. Before the last flight into Starvald Demelain I don't think Dragons were a species you wanted to piss off. Every dragon is as scary as an ascendant in terms of magical power and strength, on top of that it is fucking big and tough. Imagine a hundred dragons or a thousand or more, amassing on any empire we know of and consider that they are capable of countering any magic you throw at them and you have a big fucking problem. Cusser will only work the first time. From then on they will stay high in the air, use their superior eye sight to see any projectiles coming their way and answer in kind with a wave of sorcery.

entirely true.

That said, I suppose that if you think about it in terms of 'race wars', eventually the dragons have to land, and the survivors would see them do this and sooner or later ambush and/or cusserfuck the landing dragon.

So suppose the dragons become wary of landing and just warren out. So now the humans, all the while breeding new little humans, can hide and do human stuff as long as no dragons are around, including working on ways to knock dragons out of the sky.

And sooner or later the whole thing is too much bother or danger for the dragons and the surviving humans go back to making little humans. Plus now they own the skies.

So naturally someone would say 'the FA and/or KC were hiding in underground cities and the dragons still wiped them out'... to which i say yes, but both races lack the capacity to be clever and hide in small goups, or sacrifice some to get others away, etc etc all those tropes that people use to justify why humans will always win that are tropey in the extreme but do make a measure of sense.

Knowing the KN are coming to wipe them out, most of the the KC line up for the slaughter except for the one Matron who went a little nuts and relied (successfuly) on what...? HUMANS.

As for the FA, we don't know much but given that most of the survivors we've seen are lone captives stuck in caves and under rocks, it doesn't look like the civilization had much in the way of evacuation routes (subject to whatever Kolanse turns out to be, and even there it looks like they turned to humans in order to survive).

- Abyss, proud human. mostly.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#52 User is offline   Blueiron 

• Acolyte of Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:50 AM

View PostTatterdemalion, on 24 December 2010 - 04:43 AM, said:

Forgiven? Yes.
But getting out of being called chumps by yours truly? Never!

CHUMPS!

PS: Has anyone ever considered adding new smilies to this forum that are 'Malazan' style ones? Likea smilie lobbing a cusser or one turning into dust like a T'lan Imass?

Someone must make these smileys now!

...chumps

QBFTW!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users