• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who's your Favourite Charecter!?!

#181 User is offline   Caracal 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:02 PM

I didn't miss the symbolics in the character, I just thoroughly dislike her as an individual partaking in the plot. IMHO she was a bit over-accented in the whole thing. :)

#182 User is offline   Whiskeyjack 

• Corporal

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

I'm gonna say Raest, based on one short conversation with Ganoes Paran. I prefer the passages that make laugh above those that make me angry or sad.

#183 User is offline   Rage 

• Queen of the Dead

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:43 AM

I, personally, love Gruntle. I love how he just doesn't give a damn.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Rage: 06 February 2012 - 03:26 AM

All these arguments about who would beat whom in a fight are irrelevant.
I think we all know I'd win.

#184 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:21 AM

As with all the books, Quick Ben is my favourite character.

The man has style, amongst other things.

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#185 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

View PostLoki, on 06 February 2012 - 06:21 AM, said:

As with all the books, Quick Ben is my favourite character.

The man has style, amongst other things.

Slender fingers for one....
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#186 User is offline   SylvanShade 

• Lieutenant
  • View gallery
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

Toc's experience:
Spoiler
I found to be quite intriguing. The dark imagery was amazing, and I came to really like Toc through his plot.

I also liked Stonny, Itkovian,Paran, Picker, Blend and Bauchelain. And the Crippled God himself. But there are just so many more! I mostly liked every character, except perhaps Caladan... He sort of lost me when
Spoiler

If I look back, I am lost.

#187 User is offline   Grimjazz 

• Old Guard
  • View gallery

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:30 AM

I really liked Picker, but above all it has to be Whiskeyjack. First in, Last out.
'I am going to beat a god senseless.'

#188 User is offline   Pamela 

• Recruit

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Quick Ben and Anomander: simply awesome. No further explanation required.

Coltaine and Whiskeyjack: two great military strategists/characters. When Coltaine died, I put the book down and refused to read anymore for a few days. The man deserved a mourning period. :) One of the saddest moments in the books so far. For Whiskeyjack, they kind of hinted at his death throughout the book, so I was expecting it, but I was still really disappointed.

Duiker: another awesome character. Him at the end of MoI was a nice scene.

Crone: minor character, but amuses me for some reason whenever I read her part. A nice touch.

#189 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:04 AM

View Postworrywort, on 07 November 2011 - 09:45 PM, said:

The Mhybe is wonderful. A lovely, masterfully empathetic exploration -- magnified of course -- of how every mother is destroyed by her children. The sacrifice, the transfer of life source, the using up of one person for the benefit of another. And the ungratefulness of children; the inadequacy of gratefulness, even.

A little late on the reply to this comment, but...

You make a great point here, worry. When I first read the book, I was a teenager and didn't really care for the Mhybe. I didn't find her parts exhausting to read, as some do, because the mystery of just what the fuck was going on with her kept me enthralled. I just didn't care about her character. However, fast forward several years and I have a stable relationship with a mother and her son (who I consider my son as well). Reading through the book again, I can now empathize with her.

Anyway, as of Memories of Ice I believe my favorite character was Anomander Rake. The air of mystery and badassery that surrounded him was amazing. Gruntle also became a favorite during the siege of Capustan.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#190 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:10 AM

View PostPamela, on 15 April 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

Quick Ben and Anomander: simply awesome. No further explanation required.

Coltaine and Whiskeyjack: two great military strategists/characters. When Coltaine died, I put the book down and refused to read anymore for a few days. The man deserved a mourning period. :) One of the saddest moments in the books so far. For Whiskeyjack, they kind of hinted at his death throughout the book, so I was expecting it, but I was still really disappointed.

Duiker: another awesome character. Him at the end of MoI was a nice scene.

Crone: minor character, but amuses me for some reason whenever I read her part. A nice touch.

Excellent. I can't say I actually 'mourned' but I did think it was, and still is, one of the best parts of any series I've read. The entire Chain of Dogs is just an ass-kicking storyline. I was also upset at Coltaine not making it out alive at first, but in fact, it's really the only way to have ended in my opinion. Him dying at the end just seals his legendary status and the way Erikson had his death come with the impossibly long shot from friend instead of foe and the coming of all the crows is a Hell of a way to go out - the sending off of a warrior.

Excellent, indeed.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#191 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

View PostDefiance, on 16 April 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

View Postworrywort, on 07 November 2011 - 09:45 PM, said:

The Mhybe is wonderful. A lovely, masterfully empathetic exploration -- magnified of course -- of how every mother is destroyed by her children. The sacrifice, the transfer of life source, the using up of one person for the benefit of another. And the ungratefulness of children; the inadequacy of gratefulness, even.

A little late on the reply to this comment, but...

You make a great point here, worry. When I first read the book, I was a teenager and didn't really care for the Mhybe. I didn't find her parts exhausting to read, as some do, because the mystery of just what the fuck was going on with her kept me enthralled. I just didn't care about her character. However, fast forward several years and I have a stable relationship with a mother and her son (who I consider my son as well). Reading through the book again, I can now empathize with her.

Anyway, as of Memories of Ice I believe my favorite character was Anomander Rake. The air of mystery and badassery that surrounded him was amazing. Gruntle also became a favorite during the siege of Capustan.

That's an amazing take, thank you. I kinda relate her to Catelyn Stark in my head a bit, another character people seem to dislike. And to each their own, but I just can't. SE does a number of different takes on motherhood over the series, with main POV characters, secondary ones, even asides from various people about their pasts. Mothers sending their kids off to war, what have you. And if children are dying, what's happening to their mothers?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#192 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:10 AM

Meh, the Mhybe. Where's Uly when you need him. This is one instance where he can complain all he wants about something, and I'd be ok with it. Also not a big fan of the Mhybe.

And I don't care if you're the Octomom, Defiance, I just never got into her, myself. I think your points are valid, though. I'm in same situation as you - raised kids that were not my biological children.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#193 User is offline   Chunky Milk 

• Big Cheese

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

Kruppe and Bauchelain.

Their dialog is just so awesome.

I do not have a signature.

#194 User is offline   Dark Prince 

• Recruit

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

View PostChunky Milk, on 14 May 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

Kruppe and Bauchelain.

Yeah I'm loving Kruppe too. He used to annoy me but he's a real good guy, and very funny, like Pusk

Anomander is unreal, I get so impatient waiting for his scenes!

Generally anything to do with the Talons and Claw are very cool too...

Coltaines a badass. Felt for him all the way through.

I like Caladan but wanna see him really unleash!! Hopefully he will...

#195 User is offline   ColtaineRattlesSlow 

• Recruit

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

From MoI alone (I've only read this and the first two) I'd have to say, ranked in order:

Itkovian (my new favorite character in fiction, replacing Oberyn Martell, the Red Viper)
Caladan Brood (I feel he is constantly overshadowed by Rake, and I love his overall calm demeanor)
Lady Envy (never have an both loved dearly and had a massive crush on a fictional character)
Toc
Tool
Quick Ben
Whiskeyjack
Picker/Blend (I just see both of them as one great dialogue scene after the other)
Teyschrenne (I disliked him in GotM, but wow he is such a badass in MoI)
Kallor (I hate what he did to Whiskeyjack and the two marines, but even during this scene I admitted how much of a badass he is, and everytime he snaps back at Silverfox by calling her 'woman' I laughed)

#196 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

ANOMANDER RAKE. nuff said ( badass respected by everyone even by killy who punched her own son for disrespecting him)

coltaine is near rake but not quite but in deadhouse gates he became the sole reason to read on when he died i stopped reading for a couple of hours I WAS PISSED. but the way he went out was awesome.

then caladan brood ( his calm demeanour betrays his held back attitide which is made more awesome by the fact that he just carries the end of the world around on his back)
and kruppe PURELY FOR THE COMEDY

and i dontknow if later books influence this but FIDDLER is up there with the best

This post has been edited by The Hust Legion: 29 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

#197 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 29 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

View PostDark Prince, on 22 May 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

View PostChunky Milk, on 14 May 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

Kruppe and Bauchelain.

Yeah I'm loving Kruppe too. He used to annoy me but he's a real good guy, and very funny, like Pusk

Anomander is unreal, I get so impatient waiting for his scenes!

Generally anything to do with the Talons and Claw are very cool too...

Coltaines a badass. Felt for him all the way through.

I like Caladan but wanna see him really unleash!! Hopefully he will...

if he does the world will end

#198 User is offline   Zuzu Bolin 

• Corporal

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

I'm a 100 pages or so from finishing and I'd have to say Quick Ben and Paran. The latter grated on me for much of GoM and the first part of this book but his morphing Incredible Hulk like into a Hound of Shadow in his battle with the Condor has won me over. Best part of the novel.

#199 User is offline   duel cutlasses 

• Recruit

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

Just finished MoI. Quick Ben and Kruppe were my favorites. Also enjoied evey bit of Lady Envy and her entourage.

#200 User is offline   Xanian 

• Recruit

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

I am almost at the ending of MoI and my favorite guy so far has been Kruppe. I mean, might be I am mistaken in thinking that he is going to play an important role in the future books but I really find it giddying to imagine a mortal with a mind that attracts a god's attention.

Anyways, I might be giving him too much importance. Other than him, I absolutely love Tool and Kalam.

Call me strange, but I can not relate to Anomander Rake at all. He is like too awesome. So, I personally find him cloying.
Just another Malazite......

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users