• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Saddest part in the Book :( SPOILERZZZZZZZZ

#1 User is offline   Osserc - Lord of the Sky 

• Champion of High House Light
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, dammit!

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:52 PM

I'd definately say that the saddest part is when Kallor kills Whiskeyjack.

What does everyone else think?
"The red ink had been watered down. He painted wash on the map, covering areas now held by the Malazan Empire. Fully one half of the map...the north half...was red. Baruk jumped, his right forearm jerking out and knocking over the inkwell. The red ink poured across his map. Cursing, Baruk sat back. His eyes widened as he watched the spreading stain over Darujhistan and continue south to Catlin..."

#2 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:10 PM

I was oddly touched by seerdomins story about watching his father sail off for the last time, and being happy that his father had escaped.

I was also touched by the toc and seerdomin conversation , where Toc says something to the effect of,(refering to his diminishing weight)" I must be as nothing to you."

and Seerdomin says "I did not say that Malazan, I did not say that."

This post has been edited by foolio: 19 October 2010 - 08:16 PM

I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#3 User is offline   LaunchpadJW 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Pursuing a plethora of pastimes possessing the "ing" present participle.

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:16 PM

If you have not read farther than MoI, then keep reading. If you have, you know that Whiskeyjack's death is border line soul-crushing; and without giving too much away, is only a modicum of icing on the emotional birthday cake that is the MBotF!
And I really do enjoy a good cake.

I can't wait for my re-read!
Posted Image

This post has been edited by LaunchpadJW: 19 October 2010 - 08:18 PM

Harry: Extra gloves? You've had...this pair...of extra gloves...this whole time??Lloyd: Yeah! We're in the Rockies.

#4 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:23 PM

Shit, by the end of my first read of MoI I felt like my soul had been torn into a thousand pieces, put back together, then ripped apart again.

Seerdomin was very tragic. Love the character, despite the small role he plays with Toc.

Whiskeyjack's death put me in shock.

The Bridgeburners getting annhilated was terrible. Same with Dujek's army in general just getting completely ravaged.

Itkovian's sacrifice was both heartbreaking and epic.

Rake putting the dead Bridgeburners in Moon's Spawn.

I can't really choose. All of these moments were very sad.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#5 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:17 PM

I literally cussed out my brother for about 20 minutes for not warning me that this would happen! Favorite character killing is the suck.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#6 User is offline   SpectreofEschaton 

• Herald of the Black Dawn
  • Interests:self-annihilation

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:32 PM

Kallor owes me for a hole in my wall. :p
These glories we have raised... they shall not stand.

#7 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:36 PM

Duiker speaking in the epilogue is the most emotional for me, because its the culmination of everything that happened in MoI that you remember while they avoid it, and then Duiker suddenly returning to life basically and throwing the Chain of Dogs back at you.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#8 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:41 PM

I was sad when I Whiskeyjack died. I really liked that character, but that also served to give his death greater meaning. If he had just been some indifferent character we would all have though shrugged and moved on
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#9 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:22 PM

Saddest...eh...I have two and probably unusual...

Seeing modest and intelligent prince of Capustan skinned and almost eaten...
When Trotts died...he looked unstoppable and still...

Others were surprising, shocking, but always in some way predictable, weighted in its meaning...
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#10 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:23 AM

I was so emotionally drained after reading Deadhouse Gates (I still contend Duiker's death had more emotional weight then Coltaine's) that the story of those who entered Hood's gate in Memories of Ice just didn't resonate with me as much (I went right into reading MoI after DG). But, if I had to pick one death in MoI that affected me, it would be Whiskeyjack.

And back to Deadhouse Gates, what about Baudin's death? that tugged at the heart strings as well (more then most of those who fell in MoI.... in my opinion anyway).

#11 User is offline   Lusipher 

• Talon Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • View gallery

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:04 PM

I have to agree that I'm more of a Deadhouse Gates person than Memories of Ice.
The deaths that stick out for me are Hedge, Trotts and Detoran. In some ways, I felt that Whiskeyjack's death was telegraphed by him saying "I'm getting too old for this" and "Once this fight against the Pannion Seer is done, I'm leaving the army!". It seems that whenever someone says that, they're going to to get killed. Which isn't to say that his death was ho-hum for me (who wouldn't have wanted to see little Korlats and Whiskeyjacks running around?!), but I kinda knew it was coming. And I have to say the same for Itkovian...after Capustan, it felt to me that he was living on borrowed time. He just seemed so lost after Fener was deposed and the rest of the Grey Swords were destroyed.

With Hedge, it was so quick...he throws a cusser at a Hunter that's right on top of him and you know he's gotta be dead, but the scene shifts, so it's kinda like "Okay, maybe Hedge survived..." but when the scene shifts back to Picker, she, like the reader , is just realizing Hedge is dead. Trotts is kinda funny because he's just killed about 20(?) of the Pannions and, while you're marveling at that, he falls over, dead. And finally, Detoran, in similar fashion to Trotts, is up against 6(?) Pannions, handling the situation very well until, at the end, she's dead as well.

#12 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:56 PM

Oh yeah, Trotts. He was a bb that stood out, such a distinctive character (funny, scary, serious, menacing). He played a pivotal roll in MoI, uniting the Barghast and getting them on board with the fighting the Pannon Domin . . . I thought he was great and it was a major bummer for me when he died.

#13 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:17 AM

When Paran takes Quick to Moons Spawn at the end of MOI. That was heart-breaking.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#14 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:42 PM

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 19 October 2010 - 09:36 PM, said:

Duiker speaking in the epilogue is the most emotional for me, because its the culmination of everything that happened in MoI that you remember while they avoid it, and then Duiker suddenly returning to life basically and throwing the Chain of Dogs back at you.

that!

and summing it up as i cannot remember the direct quote - "dead bridgeburners on the wagon... first in... last out... for the final time!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

I agree with most of the upthread refs.

A couple of subtle tragic ones...

Gruntle's exchange with Stonny after he gets her to safety in Capustan - more or less "If you stay by that door you won't ever leave.".

While also one of the absolute coolest moments in the book, the re-telling of Gruntle rallying the Capans with a little girl's half eaten body is positively chilling.

Itkovian finding Karanadas' wasted body.

For some reason, Itkovian trading his helmet with the Malazan soldier was wrenching. Itkovian just had no idea how highly held he was.

When the BBs run into Lady Envy in the Pannion's keep and a small misunderstanding... "Well, this won't take long."... means half of them die when Envy could have taken out the Seerdomin in seconds.

One or two of the Imass memories raining down on Itkovian at the end are especially tragic.

Toc impaling himself while Mok and Tool are fighting.

...while i think DG is still the more emotional book, MoI is loaded with moments that hit the reader hard.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#16 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 26 October 2010 - 02:12 AM

View PostAbyss, on 25 October 2010 - 07:22 PM, said:

...while i think DG is still the more emotional book, MoI is loaded with moments that hit the reader hard.

It's hard for me to say which book is more emotional. At least for me, MoI had more moments than DG; however, Coltaine's Fall at the end of DG was just unbelievable. It was not only tragic but incredibly epic as well - I think that's what makes it one of the most memorable moments in the series. There were so many emotions going through me when I was reading it - first awe and amazement as shivers ran down my spine (which continued for the entire scene), then anger on a level I have rarely felt when reading, and then immense sadness. It was the ultimate tragedy, amplified by how much screen time the Chain of Dogs had.

When you look at Whiskeyjack's death, the destruction of the Bridgeburners, and some other things in MoI, there's a lot of sadness and sometimes anger (at least for me). Most people wouldn't describe those scenes as epic (as in epically awesome; some were epically tragic). Itkovian's sacrifice is an example of a moment that was epically awesome and sad; however, it's missing the anger aspect of when I read about Coltaine's Fall.

Anyway, Duiker recounting the Chain of Dogs to the Bridgeburners at the end of MoI was awesome. In fact, I'd say it's one of, if not the best, ending I've ever read. I can even remember the last few lines off the top of my head, that's how memorable it is:

Admittedly, I did look this up in the book to make sure I had the punctuation right. But:

"Very well, permit me, if you will, on this night. To break your hearts once more. This is the story of the Chain of Dogs. Of Coltaine of the Crow Clan, newly come Fist to the 7th army..."
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#17 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Not much

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:11 PM

View PostAbyss, on 25 October 2010 - 07:22 PM, said:

When the BBs run into Lady Envy in the Pannion's keep and a small misunderstanding... "Well, this won't take long."... means half of them die when Envy could have taken out the Seerdomin in seconds.

That part made me actually hate Envy because while I know that she didn't do it on purpose and she actually felt bad afterwards, if only she had thought about it for a second and not acted as the haughty little princess...Grrr
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#18 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Ojibwa
  • Interests:Surfing and reading

Posted 27 October 2010 - 04:16 PM

Looking in the rearviewmirror, what seems the saddest to me is the private conversation between Whiskeyjack and Anomander Rake, given what I now know. What could have come from their friendship? What would Rake have done to prevent Whiskeyjack's death? Gods, I weep at the possibilities!!!

#19 User is offline   dreddiknight 

• Recruit

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:52 AM

This thread is reminding me why I got all my friends into this series....
A girlfriend literally threw the book at me when she read Whiskeyjacks death!
My answer would be all of the above, but if I have to choose, Duikers closing words get me every time...

This post has been edited by dread I knight: 06 November 2010 - 09:53 AM

#20 User is offline   HihioListern 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Reading and Writing... can't stop!

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:27 AM

I spoiled Whiskeyjack's death the first minute I got the book, I was innocently flipping through it all and stopped on that page. It was such a OMG moment for me... but then when I actually came to it later on I wasn't that sad.
Itkovian's death was way sad for me, that almost had me crying coz I loved him, and no book had ever made me want to cry like that.
And, also the Seerdomin and Toc, I loved that too.
And Toc and Tool's relationship... one of my fav parts.
And Duiker's last words to finish the book... I was like, 'Awwwwwww... it's Duiker!' :p
And, NO! The BB's death, NO!!! ... Hedge... NO!!!

Mod edit: Watch the spoilers.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users