Malazan Empire: Saddest part in the Book :( - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Saddest part in the Book :( SPOILERZZZZZZZZ

#21 User is offline   Osserc - Lord of the Sky 

• Champion of High House Light
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, dammit!

Posted 13 November 2010 - 10:00 PM

View PostDefiance, on 19 October 2010 - 08:23 PM, said:

Shit, by the end of my first read of MoI I felt like my soul had been torn into a thousand pieces, put back together, then ripped apart again.

Seerdomin was very tragic. Love the character, despite the small role he plays with Toc.

Whiskeyjack's death put me in shock.

The Bridgeburners getting annhilated was terrible. Same with Dujek's army in general just getting completely ravaged.

Itkovian's sacrifice was both heartbreaking and epic.

Rake putting the dead Bridgeburners in Moon's Spawn.

I can't really choose. All of these moments were very sad.

Well you just summed up all the moments. Oh no...it's like Coltaine's Fall all over again! (except personally i took this one more to heart, because i already knew the characters from GoTM)

MoI is my favorite MBoTF book so far, and im on MT now.
"The red ink had been watered down. He painted wash on the map, covering areas now held by the Malazan Empire. Fully one half of the map...the north half...was red. Baruk jumped, his right forearm jerking out and knocking over the inkwell. The red ink poured across his map. Cursing, Baruk sat back. His eyes widened as he watched the spreading stain over Darujhistan and continue south to Catlin..."

#22 User is offline   Sowilo 

• Recruit

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:25 PM

i got a good few so forgive me!

Definitely the bit when anomander rake is executing the tenescowri 'witches' and whiskeyjack misconstruing anomanders meaning of him having to do it was quite a good moment as it showed someone as revered as Rake opening up to whiskeyjack that its his burden, i thought was quite a good scene. and whiskeyjacks walk back to the line after his realisation with all the men staring at him.

Hedges death really affected me i thought he was so class, i remember i read over the entire scene to see if i missed a part that indicated his escape from the blast!

the last stand of brukhalian was quite moving especially with the arrival of Hood shocking the pannion domin army with his arrival in the downpour was a particularly memorabal scene.

Oh and Twists slowly dying throughout the book and being interred with the Bridgeburners because they respected him so.

the overall shock of all the deaths hitting everybody at the end where they are all just silent and watchful of each 'ceremony'.

Tool being reunited with his sister and there is a glimmer of sadness on his face when she leaves.

#23 User is offline   Lady Knight 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Professional engineer turned aspiring actor, knight, comedian, boxer, writer! :)

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:18 AM

obviously Whiskeyjack’s death was devastating. i think it didnt hit me super hard coz i was in disbelieving shock! he cant kill of whiskeyjack i kept thinking!! and almost waiting for some trick as to why he actually wasnt dead. by the time you reach the end tho you forget some of the poignant moments you experienced before and was reminded in the posts above... coz it especially killed me when Itkovian found Karnadas’ wasted body!! that was killer!! whoa. and so many other parts of the Grey Swords defeat. Itkovian’s feeling of failure as he could not hold the Pannions at bay any longer, Brukhalian’s willing sacrifice in following the order that was a betrayal. Man those guys got screwed. Sadly so.

but at the end what got me crying was the scene in Moon’s Spawn when Paran and Quick Ben went to say goodbye but it wasnt the scene itself that killed me altho i think it elevated the emotions so that when Paran says in his mind:

Whiskeyjack, for all that you have taught me, I thank you. Bridgeburners, I wish I could have done better by you. Especially at the end. At the very least, I could have died with you.

wow. that got me crying. i guess the sinking in of Whiskeyjack and almost all the Bridgeburners’ deaths. almost all had died. sigh. :)

#24 User is offline   HedgeWalker 

• Topiary Tottering
  • Interests:The complex relationship between underwear volume and personality disposition.

Posted 02 December 2010 - 11:52 AM

All of the Above are were highlights of the MoI roller coaster.

Particular mention/agreement for retelling of the story of Gruntle's Totem - ugh, that one got me, and Whiskeyjack/kallor - Whilst I was reading, I kept thinking..THE LEG! DON'T LEAN ON THE LEG!...

On reflection however, the death of Trotts. It signified to me that the BB's time was up, and I am still sad when I think of the grinning barbarian full of holes, streaming blood, just running out of life. As a metaphor for the BB's as a whole, it just made sense, and remains the saddest moment in the book for me.

#25 User is offline   Zedman1991 

• Recruit

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:49 AM

The first time i read the series i think the book was emotional for me but it wasn't huge. The second time i read it though i could not stop shivering, and when itkovian died i actually kind of wanted to cry =p. The book is just a masterpiece, the only times i've felt such intensity were with this book and the towers of midnight in the wheel of time. Itkovian was just such a fantastic character, even though i knew he'd help the tlan imass i still couldn't stop my heart breaking.
"Survivors do not mourn together. They each mourn alone, even when in the same place. Grief is the most solitary of all feelings. Grief isolates, and every ritual, every gesture, every embrace, is a hopeless effort to break through that isolation. None of it works. The forms crumble and dissolve. To face death is to stand alone."

#26 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:02 PM

Itkovian.

But I have to ask - no love for the Mhybe?

#27 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 29 December 2010 - 03:03 AM

View PostFalstad Wildhammer, on 20 October 2010 - 01:23 AM, said:

I was so emotionally drained after reading Deadhouse Gates (I still contend Duiker's death had more emotional weight then Coltaine's) that the story of those who entered Hood's gate in Memories of Ice just didn't resonate with me as much (I went right into reading MoI after DG). But, if I had to pick one death in MoI that affected me, it would be Whiskeyjack.

And back to Deadhouse Gates, what about Baudin's death? that tugged at the heart strings as well (more then most of those who fell in MoI.... in my opinion anyway).

Kulp was even worse. i just stopped reading for a bit at that point. so.. pointless.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#28 User is offline   Fodder 

• Recruit

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:51 PM

View Postchampooon, on 25 October 2010 - 03:42 PM, said:

and summing it up as i cannot remember the direct quote - "dead bridgeburners on the wagon... first in... last out... for the final time!

That was a touching moment when the few who survived were watching their dead get wheeled out...I honestly want to have a t-shirt made with "first in, last out" on it.

I was saddened with the death of Whiskeyjack but my face started leaking during Itkovains death and I still can't even pinpoint why.

EDIT: Also the death of the two unnamed soldiers who felt they needed to guard Silverfox. The conversation that Whiskeyjack has with the two sisters where towards the end of the conversation he shows them the scar on his arm from being bitten by who i'm assuming his sister..."she was 5 years old the little banshee, i was 16, the first fight i ever lost"...or something along those lines. In all the books that conversation with the unnamed soldiers always stuck out because of the loyalty they showed Silverfox (who they knew to be Tattersail their Cadre Mage), such loyalty and yet the characters weren't even given names.

This post has been edited by Fodder: 01 February 2011 - 03:37 AM

#29 User is offline   Adhara 

• Lady of Black Magic
  • Returning to my origins

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

Just finished MdI and touched by sadness!

-The winner is Whiskeyjack´s death, of course. I hope Kallor will pass the rest of his mean life at Dragnipur and without been feed!

-Korlat and Whiskeyjack´s all love moments. Yes, from the start of this inmortal/mortal relationship you now it´s cursed. But I thought that Korlat will be the one who dies, because I believed that SE never would get rid of such a character as Whiskeyjack. I was wrong.

-Itkovian corpse been offered all those pebbles and shells.

-Moon´s Spawn is dying. Rake paid a high price for victory. So sad.
When the arrow is on the bow, it has to go

#30 User is offline   Dreamer 

• Recruit

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:50 PM

Honestly, I was in shock for the aftermath of Kallor's betrayal. I knew it was coming, but I didn't know what shape it would take. In that sense, I was devastated about Whiskeyjack. I kept looking for a loophole, and having only finished it yesterday, I'm clinging to hope after Ben and Paran's visit to the sinking Moon's Spawn...

But really, the most emotional losses, to me, were those of the Grey Swords. Karnadas and Brukhalian, and of course the ultimate fate of Itkovian. His was the story that inspired me the most... "I am not yet done." Oh, the words still give me chills. And of course Gruntle's transformation to Mortal Sword, at the cost of Stonny's relative innocence and his reluctance towards battle. All the players in the siege of Capustan felt utterly tragic to me, so inspiring and completely mortal in their heroics and unfailing courage.

Of course, I was also heartbroken about Toc. The manner of his release makes me wonder how different his fate would have been had he stayed in the company of Lady Envy, Baaljaag, and co. Obviously the gods take little consideration of the consequences of their effect on mortals... In the end, though, I was pleased with SE's treatment of both Toc and the Mhybe. A bit god-like, the way he rewards their suffering lol...

The siege of Capustan really felt like the climax of the novel to me, and I was lulled into a sense of security, naively thinking "Oh, the next three hundred pages are just setting up for House of Chains..." I knew better, but I was in denial. And I really, really, really should have known better after the ending of DG.

#31 User is offline   strangelywierd 

• Recruit

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:07 PM

MoI was the first of the books I read (got sent as a freebie by my bookclub- far and away the best value book ever) and I was stunned. It is still my favourite book in the series. There is just so much emotion and pathos in it. One of my favourite parts is during the siege when Itkovians command is overrun and his horse is badly injured. I just love the way the destriant heals the horse while killing himself. I agree that the death of whiskeyjack was a shock but it has to be Pickers this won't take long, there was just no need for it to happen like that.
If you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs, you should pay closer attention.

#32 User is offline   miriya 

• Kiss where?

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:18 AM

Brukhalian and Itkovian; I'm not sure why. I mean, Whiskeyjack was tragic (but foreshadowed like crazy), the loss of the Bridgeburners was tragic, but somehow DG seems a much more emotional book for me, especially there at the end. I think it's just that the end of the Chain of Dogs, and the subsequent annihilation of Pormqual's soldiers was that it was senseless; it could have been so easily won. You knew the fights in MOI were going to brutal, and the deaths were (mostly) going to be for a good reason, doing something.

And yeah. Duiker at the end, holy crap.

Also, Toc!Anaster completely missing Onos. Just guuuuuuh, and then it just keeps going and going. :<

This post has been edited by miriya: 06 March 2011 - 05:20 AM

#33 User is offline   rannald 

• The Phillius Of Dillius

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

i just reread the book, but i thought the whole ending of this book was fantastically written, the whole thing left me sad,
but really
1) mallets reaction to the circumstances of whiskeyjacks death was painful to read,
2) quick ben leaving the pebble behind so he and kalam could return,
3) Gruntles view on Dujek's "ive lost a friend" bit
since re-reading the series ive noticed that while DG and MoI left me feeling sad none of the other books has had this reaction with me

This post has been edited by rannald: 10 March 2011 - 11:24 PM

#34 User is offline   miriya 

• Kiss where?

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:30 AM

View Postrannald, on 10 March 2011 - 11:19 PM, said:

i just reread the book, but i thought the whole ending of this book was fantastically written, the whole thing left me sad,
but really
1) mallets reaction to the circumstances of whiskeyjacks death was painful to read,
2) quick ben leaving the pebble behind so he and kalam could return,
3) Gruntles view on Dujek's "ive lost a friend" bit
since re-reading the series ive noticed that while DG and MoI left me feeling sad none of the other books has had this reaction with me

You know, I'm with you on that, except maybe TTH. DG and MOI, though, for all the progress they were making, ended on more of a downnote than anything uplifting. I mean sure, soletaken events, refugees saved and 7C crises averted, but at a horrific cost. In MOI -- Pannion Domin crisis averted, but again, what horrifying, extraordinary cost. In future books (I don't know how far you or others who might be reading these might have gone so I'm loathe to be specific), tragic, crushing things happen, but the benefit is more immediately tangible, whether sacrificing oneself to save an entire force, or to, er, reconcile with estranged family members. Later deaths, while equally painful (in my opinion) don't have that sense of 'son of a biscuit that could have been entirely averted if someone pulled their head out of their pooper' that so much of those first two had: Trotts and Detoran died because Envy wasn't paying attention; Whiskeyjack died because he was too stubborn to get his leg properly healed; Pormqual's army could have helped Coltaine's army and averted their entire slaughter ... that sort of thing. Even Itkovian's death wasn't really the tragic part of that whole thing, because he died giving some measure of mercy to a race so removed from the concept that it brought them to their knees.

Yeah, that sort of thing. Or maybe that's just how I see it, I have no idea. ;D

#35 User is offline   rannald 

• The Phillius Of Dillius

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:04 AM

mind you the end of DoD left me speechless.... it totally blew my mind....now that i think of it DoD DG and MoI all had that "aww whhhattt" ending to them

#36 User is offline   Jegna Til 

• Jegna Til
  • Interests:Many. Reading, writing, astronomy, cooking, hiking, movies. <br /><br />I won't provide my email, but ask and you might receive

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:09 AM

SE does his best characters when he keeps them human and interesting. Duiker, Gruntle, Stonny and Fiddler/Strings etc. I felt so torn when Toc was killed, I kept hoping that he'd find a way to escape from the Mother and he never did. I loved Hedge and cried a bit when he died. I've just bought MT and TtH and I hope that by the end of the series that Fiddler and QB are still there.
Death is the only portal.

#37 User is offline   Sowilo 

• Recruit

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:48 AM

Actually i just remembered about the t'lan ay there they were forced into the ritual by just being in its vicinity. And the t'lan Imass and all their seperate memories and both groups just standing and waiting to be released.

#38 User is offline   Rhand 

• Lord of the Morning

Posted 02 May 2011 - 05:38 PM

I didn't find the deaths that sad, it's more the reactions of the other people that left me teary-eyed. For example Mallet's reaction was really heartbreaking.

#39 User is offline   Kierkegaurdian 

• Recruit

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

Everything related to the death of Whiskeyjack and the Bridgeburners was pretty rough. I was also very touched when Tool puts everything he has into rescuing "the one who called him 'friend'". Very emotionally charged book (IMO, more so than Deadhouse Gates).

#40 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:23 AM

You'd better spoiler that. This is the MoI forum.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users