• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Towers of Midnight Prologue, chapter 1, chapter 8, and 2 reviews

#81 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:06 AM

did anyone think loial might feature? it seemed that way before i read it.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#82 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:11 AM

The prologue is probably going to be relevant to A Memory of Light.

Also, Rand's "kill 'em all and the Dark One will sort 'em out" was also witnessed earlier (WH? CoT?) when he remembered the Death Gates, plus he also has now gone full "Chosen One" in Randland.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#83 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:38 AM

I think the change was too abrupt but I always figured that this was how Rand would end up. I have been wanting him to turn the land green for ages. He has always been a truly epic heroic character from the very beggining. Killing forsaken, defeating the Seanchan, founding the black tower becoming not just the dragon but the coramoor and car'a'carn.

I dont see him as the chosen one of the light though. Rather I think Rand has and always will be the lynchpin on which the battle between the light and the shadow is fought. He seems to have the potential to be the champion of either side and I think this is the secret that the game moridin plays passes down through the ages. I think he was called the fischer peice.

#84 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:57 AM

That's obvious and has been for the past 10 years that the Shadow was playing towards turning him Dark. Point being, suddenly turning the land fertile and actually making the skies less cloudy and more sunny is nothing if not "chosen one" like. I didn't mean it in a literal sense, but a literary sense.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#85 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:40 AM

I was just meaning that it does not make his powers too over the top. He turns the land green now but before his very presence made the food in Arad doman rot even faster then elsewhere. He is not a person he is a force that the pattern revolves around. In many ways he cant even take credit for his success since in many ways it is pre-ordained.

Also while I agree that it was obvious the issue seems a little slipperier that that. When Moridin claimed to be the counterpart of the dragon but for the shadow, RJ in an interview replied to a fan 'and you believed him?!'. However I have also read an interview with Sandserosn when he does imply Moridin has had a role to play in many turnings of the wheel. I perosnally like to think of Rand as the lynchpin and morridin as just insane.

Edit- I wonder if we will ever learn who Rand is. Why is he so impportant to the pattern. Did the creator make him especially, did his soul volunteer, was he the first man to stand up to the shadow? Would be sorta interesteting.

This post has been edited by Cause: 16 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

#86 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

Rand is the lynchpin, and Ishamael knows that, and I would think any WoT hardcore fan would agree with that. Ishamael was important for 3,000 years of Randland history, considering he was both slightly outside and inside the original "Seal", which allowed him to influence events while everyone else was sealed (like the Trolloc Wars). He figured out the pattern enough to gamble that eventually one of the Dragon's would snap under the pressure, at which point, the Shadow wins for all time (briefly).

#87 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:46 PM

Before I forget what happened to the legion of the dragon? Also will Shara ever play a role in the story. Only one book left but it seems odd that a third of the world should be so thoroughly ignored.

#88 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:14 PM

Yo Terez, here's an obscure question for you: What happened to Fearil?
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#89 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:19 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 17 November 2010 - 01:14 PM, said:

Yo Terez, here's an obscure question for you: What happened to Fearil?

Brandon probably forgot about him. Though I suppose there is a possibility that Elza sent him off on some errand or something.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users