Malazan Empire: From Steven Erikson - with gratitude to you all. - Malazan Empire

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

From Steven Erikson - with gratitude to you all.

#1 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:57 PM

Hello all
In a response I just posted on the Life As A Human site (not in the last installment, the one before that, I think, the one with 30-odd comments), I described my feeling as if I have staggered out from under an enormous burden. And it was last week, on my facebook page, when I announced the closure of an adventure that has spanned almost thirty years of my life, from those wild ambitions of youth – all that manic gaming with Cam where we forged an entire world from our imaginations and from all that inspired us from the literary genre of Fantasy – to this ageing man stumbling free, finally, not yet ready to look back, not yet capable of making sense of all this, and it may be that I never will.
I look out the window on my left now, onto the High Street of Falmouth, watching the crowds moving back and forth, and it was while seated on this leather sofa about a week ago that I wrote the last line of The Crippled God, saying goodbye to the most extensive story I will ever tell. I’ve since joked that my next project is a twenty-four volume saga set in the same world, chronicling the life of a character from birth to seven years of age, whereupon said character is jailed for being a career criminal. Called The Malazan Book of the Felon. Flippancy can be a useful defense mechanism, for a while, but eventually the silence returns.
On the speakers here in Mango Tango, Dylan asks ‘How does it feel?’ and that acerbic tone invites derision, in my case self-directed, as if a voice inside wants to say ‘big deal. Besides, mate, the best is now behind you.’ And I’m reminded of the last poem in the book, which invites something very different, as if to answer my self-doubts with a caustic regard for the willfully blind. What do I mean with all that? Wait and see. As for me, the willful blindness persists, and I see nothing ahead and nothing behind. I’m empty, and it feels all right.
I often remind myself that The Malazan Book of the Fallen will never challenge the bestsellers within the genre; will never achieve the broad appeal of, say, The Lord of the Rings, or even The Wheel of Time. But still, I feel an immense gratitude for the readers I have found – for you who participate on this site and for all the lurkers staying in the shadows. We have been in conversation for some time now, you and me, sharing an investment in time and energy; and while I have been the one in the know when you have speculated and wondered, the time is coming when the roles will reverse – when I am the one who can only look on, not knowing what is coming next, as you (hopefully) continue to explore the series, with all the authority that only fans can achieve.
So, I have already begun my wait. To see what you think. What you feel. To see all that you take from these books, and to see what you will make of them. Forgive me if I stay in the shadows. But this is now yours, not mine. And that is as it should be.

With gratitude
Steven Erikson
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

Words. Still fail me.

oh, okay, let's try this...

The series has been, to date and every step of the way, nothing short of an amazing journey through a world that fantasy lit readers are truly gifted to have access to.

And I, speaking only for myself but i suspect a few others, am SO excited to see how it ends. (and then continues...)

So in as much as "...The Malazan Book of the Fallen will never challenge the bestsellers within the genre; will never achieve the broad appeal of, say, The Lord of the Rings, or even The Wheel of Time. ..." for what it's worth, there are many of us who think it has done that, and surpassed them. Maybe not in numbers of sales or readers, but in sheer quality and scope and 'holyfuck did i just READ that?!?!?' moments that other works do not and can not provide.

- Abyss, anticipates.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

Abyss says it all really. This series is one of the most unique and compelling stories that I have ever read, and perhaps ever will read. Being exposed glimpse by glimpse to this marvelous world you and ICE have both created has been nothing short of extraordinary, and I only hope that more people experience the same wonder and delight that came with reading each installment of this series. The amount of posts we have been getting recently from new users extolling this series and how engrossing they found it seems to indicate that it is a series becoming ever more popular as time goes on. You probably have a better way of gauging that than myself, but it's definitely something I've noticed recently. The recent successes of works such as Twilight and the Sword of Truth (rather subjective choices, I'll admit) show that broad appeal is not at all the best indicator of quality. Lord of the Rings never achieved the status it holds today until at least a decade after its publishing, and the true test of a work is how it stands the test of time, and I truly believe the Malazan Book of the Fallen will do that admirably, and remain one of the great works of fantasy.

So thank you Steve (and ICE too), for inviting us into such a brilliant and unique world, and though I am sad to see this particular tale end, I am eagerly awaiting its conclusion. I would also like to note I would read the Malazan Book of the Felon. :)

This post has been edited by MTS: 30 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

View PostHetan, on 30 July 2010 - 03:57 PM, said:

I've since joked that my next project is a twenty-four volume saga set in the same world, chronicling the life of a character from birth to seven years of age, whereupon said character is jailed for being a career criminal. Called The Malazan Book of the Felon. Flippancy can be a useful defense mechanism, for a while, but eventually the silence returns.

Hey, that sounds fun! You could use the Malazan Book of the Felon to twist around all the crime/suspense novel cliches! And then a sci-fi series, and then a teen romance series, and then a self-help book...

So, I have already begun my wait. To see what you think. What you feel. To see all that you take from these books, and to see what you will make of them. Forgive me if I stay in the shadows. But this is now yours, not mine. And that is as it should be.

I like the notion that you're now waiting in as much anticipation as we are, Steve! I know we won't be disappointed with tCG and I believe you won't be disappointed with our "fan authority" afterwards, either!

Cheers, Steve, we've got just as much gratitude for you on this side!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   ansible 

• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

The relationship between an artist and those who support his art is a magical one. At the best of times, each can only feel gratitude for the other - the artist, because people buy and love his work, which without an audience would be less; and the readers, who can in wonder only thank the artist for his creation, because it is meaningful and good and a labor of love.

So I say, Steven Erikson, thank you.
We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#6 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

There are no words to descirbe the great job You've done with the story told in Malazan novels and the very universe, crafted with such perfection. So I will write no more than this:

Thank You so much, for tons of awesome entertainment.

#7 User is offline   Rooster 

• Corporal

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

So, I have already begun my wait. To see what you think. What you feel. To see all that you take from these books, and to see what you will make of them.

I'm afraid it will be a long wait. I simply don't have the words to describe such things. So all I can say is, thank you.

#8 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

Who know's whats to come in the future, but for me, this series has been the best i have ever read and the best i will ever probably read. No series i have read has ever gripped me like this, or tore my heart out as much as this, or brought to me a complete speechless state. For that i feel blessed to have been on this journey and talk about mind deadening anticipation for the final book, god even when i was a child at christmas i never looked forward to it as much as i am doing now, just waiting, counting down the days! Week off work, definately! God is it January yet!

As for LoTR, WoT etc, only a matter of time before this series is recognised for where it truely stands in the genre. I've lent my dear poor copy of GoTM to my friends so many times and they have then gone on to be hooked and bought the full series - friends that don't normally read this genre - are now addicts!

It's not enough for what you've brought me, what more can i say though, but thank you!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#9 User is offline   Luzburg 

• Master Exploder

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:55 PM

From someone who moved onto reading Epic fantasy series quite recently: this series is far superior to WoT. And, if you discount the languages of Tolkien, surpasses Middle Earth as the greatest imagined world ever conceived.
I can't wait to read the last book, and yet I'm dreading the last full stop.

As others have said before, Thank you!

#10 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:10 PM

Abyss pretty much said it the way i feel about this series. Really glad i decided to give this series a go (despite that atrocious GOTM cover! hehe). I appreciate the fact that you allowed us as readers to make of everything the way we will, instead of holding our hand. You trusted us, and we in turn trust you. Thank you for everything you put into making this what it is....nothing short of epic!

#11 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:28 PM

i first hear about the malazan books in 2004-2005.
i heard the name before, but didn't look into it.
then i actualy began to hear more of it in 2007, more and more.
by then i was disillusioned with the fantasy genre, which despite some efforts was going downhill.
then i saw the first book in a book store, and it was 2008.
i bought it and it was sitting in my home for maybe 6 months before i actualy began reading it.
and i'm grateful ever since.
it's a great thing you've made mr. erikson.

#12 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

I am "on vacation" at the beach with the family , my wife would kill me in my sleep if she knew I was on the net, but I just wanted to say that I did not think I would ever read fantasy again years ago, and I have not only read this series several times but grown immersed in it. I think about scenes when I am going to sleep, I think about others when I wake up, I beg people to give it a try, and am appreciative of it like I never have been for any work of fiction in my life. Wonderful work Mr Erikson.....
Damn
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#13 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:59 PM

Maybe I'll have something else to say later as I don't have much time right now, but I don't believe that you (Erikson) are unaware of the journey you've undertaken. Modesty at the cusp of an exceptional 10-book series is appreciated, but unnecessary. I'm one who arrived late to the party and only recently finished House of Chains (and already read and loved all four novellas), but book after book I noticed a very lucid and roaring "intent". The journey HAS a point.

From the "sleight of hand" part in Deadhouse Gates, to the very last words in House of Chains, I witnessed the shaping of a very radical and lucid purpose (even optimistic, I'd say). It can't be denied.
#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#14 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

I don't know much about how much and what kind of influence the MBotF has or will have on the genre of fantasy literature in the future, but I know something else, and that is there are books which can change and/or influence one's life - and that's what the MBotF did for me. I read and re-read the books again and again and - for me most importantly - whenever I feel uneasy about the goals in life I've set myself I only need to pick up one of these wonderful books and I'm instantly gripped by them and feel upbeat once again.

Long story short: Thank you, Mr. Erikson, for writing the MBotF and letting all of us take part in the pleasure of the journey to it's end and beyond :)

P.S. I'd totally read The Malazan Book of the Felon :D
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#15 User is offline   Mischiefs' Folly 

• Tanno Spiritwalker
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

Thanks for a wonderful ride. One that I am proud to say, I take multiple times a year. Scanning the pages as some obscure passage FITS! something said in a previous book and understanding comes!

Cheers mate!
Oh, me and my endless folly!

#16 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:28 PM

Thank you Steve, for a wonderful journey across the pages, with the final leg coming up for us soon. It has been quite a trip, and like others, I think the qualities and appeal of MBotF will not fade once TCG comes out, but rather soar with time, and will be seen as one of the works that will undo the borders between 'fantasy fiction' and proper 'literature' in so far as they even exist for all but the critics.

Enjoy your free time away from the notepad - we'll be badgering you for future projects, of course, but that's what a fanbase does - and you should only start to worry once we don't :).

In case you're looking for some extra cash, after MBotFelon only appeals to the hardcore fanbase here, who will quietly call it your best work yet, you might want to start on the Malazan Book of the Socialite... doesn't have to be a thousand pages or contain shaved pates, but if there's a bit more kissing under the moonlight on a balcony, it probably wouldn't hurt sales for the sixteen year old romance orientated crowd, or the sale of movie rights :D.

This post has been edited by Tapper: 30 July 2010 - 07:28 PM

Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#17 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for the message, Steve, and for creating such a wonderful playground for all of us kids to play in. Kudos and congratulation on finishing an epic piece of literature.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#18 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:57 PM

One thing - your books changed my view of literature.

Second thing - its not over yet (for us), TCG is coming!
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#19 User is offline   Pallol One Eye 

• War Mule
  • Interests:Reading, Playing Guitar, Fine Wines

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:13 PM

I remember standing in Barnes & Noble trying to decide wether to buy the MMPB of GOTM or the "Bodice Ripper" covered version TPB (or HB - that I don't recall). I went with the MMPB because it was a new series and I didn't want to chance spending the extra money if I didn't like it.

I'm still here, and my only regret in rewading this series is that I should have bought the TPB or HB.

Thank you for a great, great read.

#20 User is offline   Bent 

• Keep Rolling...
  • Interests:POOP!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:32 PM

With gratitude
Steven Erikson

You're welcome.

What? Somebody had to say it.....
THIS IS HOW I ROLL BITCHES!!!